Abysmal Souls Chapter 1: Soul Eater

Kanami

Susan smiled at the kid’s enthusiasm. It wasn’t often she found someone so amazed by a simple spell, considering she lived in Shuthra. “You may think this is great, but it’s one of the only spells I can use from this tome,” she said, chuckling a little, and allowed the water to dissipate back into the air. “I do know some other spells, but I can’t use them unless I have a tome or stone of their element.”

She had felt more comfortable here after talking about magic, but the crimson haired girl speaking set Susan on edge again. She could’ve sworn that woman had been sleeping. “…What do you mean, fire?” she asked nervously. She didn’t sense anything, but the girl and mercenary’s strange behavior made her feel as if she should’ve.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrion shoot Susan a dirty look, a look which clearly indicated that they wouldn't be getting along any time soon. But before Carrion could open her mouth a strong gust of wind carried over the smell of burnt wood from up ahead. Not an unusual smell at this time of the year, as many Saph residents would settle for logs and planks of wood if they weren't able to get their hands on heating crystals.

Greg looked over at Carrion and then as Susan, sighing to himself before grabbing his flask and taking a swig of whatever was inside. "Just stay alert" he grunted to no one in particular.

A few more minutes passed before Greg got restless and let out a shout "Grah, screw this, I ain't gonna sit in here and wait" and with that he opened the back hatch of the wagon and jumped out.

Carrion looked outside and then at the rest of the group. "Probably best if we walk from here" she stated simply before following Greg out. She had a pretty good idea of what could be burning in such cold temperatures, and if she was right, she didn't want to be sitting in a wooden cart to see if her suspicions were correct.

Zwool watched the displeasant scented man leave the wagon, and then turned to the crimson woman, with a semi questionitive look, but the second she said 'walk' he was out the box instantly. He jumped out into the chilly winter air, and unfurling his wings to there full 10 feet span with mighty comforted groan. He quickly re-adjusted his Cladheamh Mor on his back again, so that was easy to extract as needed as he furled up his wings. Once his ecstacy over being out of the cramped box on wheels was over though, he turned to the wagon, somewhere on the other side of that was te smell of fire, which in winter would make sense... if they were close to a town, which he doubted....

Adrian laughed a little more, now that he was actually conversing with someone. It would make this whole ride so much more bearable. "Sorry, haha", he chuckled, scratched the back of his head, "There's just no mages where I come from, so I think all magic's pretty impressive. I'm sure I'd be blown away if you did something more than the water ball." I wonder if there are mages who can just use spells without tomes? That would be pretty impressive. "If I come across any of those tomes, I'll make sure to give them to you."

The sudden mentioning of "fire" from the scarlet haired girl made him jump a little, as his vision shot to her. "What... do you mean, Fire?" The sudden mood changes in the wagon were starting to wear on him, as Greg turned from boasting merc, so sullen warrior. He swallowed, and then smelled the typical fireplace smell that would inhabit the winds during the winter months. "Oh, just some family trying to stay warm" he said aloud, as if everyone else knew what he was smelling and talking about. "Nothing to worry abo-- wha--!" He started, gasping as Greg shot out of the wagon. The scarlet girl followed Greg, and Adrian sighed. "I hope they know what they're getting us into. The snow at this time of year is almost impossible to walk through" What the hell are they worried about?! It's just some fireplace. He decided to follow them, not wanting to leave the only man who, even if he boasted a lot, seemed capable of defending himself. Jumping out of the back of the wagon, he landed ankle deep in snow, stretching his arms out. "Well? Where to now?"

Seeing pretty much everyone leave the wagon, Greg puffed up his chest with pride, it was good to see that the group were willing to follow his awesome leadership, though now wasn't the time for them to hear about his greatness, but to see it directly.

Carrion on the other hand seemed distracted, or rather, she was chanting or whispering something to herself. Obviously not wanting to be interrupted, but Greg wouldn't have it.

"Hey Little Red" he muttered a bit nervously as he still wasn't sure about how skilled the woman was. "You were the first one to notice, which way?" he demanded a bit more confident near the end as it was an important question that concerned them all. Even if she was some mythical monster used to scare children surely she wouldn't try and take on the Great Greg, not with witnesses standing around to spread word of her undoubted defeat.

Carrion just stared blankly at the sky for a few seconds before muttering something and then turning towards a cluster of tree's that formed a small forest on their left.

"It's probably coming from the nearby village of Alifer, shortcut through there" she stated pointing over at the cluster of tree's.

Greg looked nervously at the tree's, which seemed to be inviting him into the darkness they created with their branches. It was well past midday, and he didn't want to be spending the night in the cold dark woods. But tracing over the map of the area in his own head, the woman wasn't lying about it being a shortcut. Grumbling something along the lines of "bratty kids weighing him down" he signaled to the Wagon driver to meet them in Alifer, before leading the way into the snowy tree's.

Ormis, having gotten no response to his question, was extremely grateful to see the back hatch of the wagon open and wasted no time in putting his stuff in his bag and hopping out, 2z4jm0h.jpg sword in hand.

"Ugh... I thought we'd never get off that thing..."

Ormis took a moment to stretch, warming up. He hadn't noticed the smell of smoke, and had no real idea why everyone was heading into the forest except that both Greg and the red-haired woman seemed to think there was something there.

Not that I'd want to follow either of them...

Still fuming, Ormis followed at a distance, just barely keeping Greg's back in sight. He didn't really mind sleeping in the forest as it was hardly a new thing to him, but he'd rather not spend the night with "the great Greg, strongest man in Sapphire" and all of that bluster. It was almost as if-

Wait a sec, where'd they all go?

Without him noticing, Greg and the others had all managed to disappear into the woods, and Ormis could see the first tinges of orange filling the sky, telltale signs that nightfall would come in a few hours. Hesitating only to employ the use of some choice swear words, the boy started running in the same direction as he had last seen them, hoping by some divine coincidence that he'd catch sight of either mage, or the chef.

Wait a sec... is that smoke I'm smelling?

Edited by Camtech075

“Ah, thanks, I guess,” Susan half mumbled. Adrian didn’t need to do that, she couldn’t carry more than one or two at a time anyway. And what was with the dirty look that girl gave her? It had been an honest question… Lost in thought, she hadn’t paid much attention to what was going on till most of the group had already left the wagon. Not wanting to be left behind, she ran to catch up with them before they were out of sight.

It was cold out there, much colder than it had been in the wagon, and she struggled to walk through the frigid forest. Between falling snow and the trees Susan had lost sight of the group a while ago, but that wasn’t a problem when she could follow their footprints. She figured she’d catch up to them sooner or later, or at least figure out where they were going now that she smelt whatever fire the girl had mentioned.

Greg ran into the woods, being led by the directions of Scarlet over there, as Adrian still didn't know what was going on. Well, she IS right. It's a pretty quick shortcut. He thought to himself, knowing most of the region. The village was pretty small; only about 4, maybe 5 houses, now. He hadn't visited it in a while. The day was leaving them, so he decided to follow Greg as well.

The cold was starting to bite at him, so he reached into his sack to retrieve his cloak, just to get a little bit warmer. "Why did we have to leave the cart, again?" He thought out loud, finally getting his cloak out and whipping it on as quickly as possible. He looked up, hoping to see Greg there, looking at him with an annoyed glance, but there was no one. "What...? I was sure I was following..." He looked behind himself quickly, seeing the shadow of someone through the snow, slowly catching up to him. He ran back to them, recognizing it as Susan as he got closer. "Ah, Susan! Sorry, I lost the group. D'you mind if I walk with you? I'd rather be with someone out here" he said, chuckling a bit to himself, "I've lived here my entire life, but, these woods always get confusing in the dark. If we follow their steps, we should be fine."

Geez, how do all of these trees somehow look alike?

Ormis was completely lost. He'd run forward, backwards, east, and into a tree and still no sign of anyone. And still the sky continued to grow darker.

If I wait until nightfall, at least I might be able to stumble in while they're sleeping. Urgh, why is this always happening to me...?

The young boy was used to being abandoned by his fellow mercenaries, who all thought he was a useless little kid. And most of the time they were right, though Ormis would never admit it to anyone. He'd been able to sleep in snow like this for ages, due to the way his family worked. He had to admit, though, that sleeping in a forest, covered in snow, alone was a daunting prospect.

...no. I have to find someone.

WIth this one thought in his head, he barreled forwards, only to crash through some trees and land facefirst into the snow, right behind two dark figures who seemed to be talking with each other ((Adrian and Susie, though Ormis doesn't know that)).

“Hmm?” Susan looked up, somewhat surprised to see someone. Had Adrian come back to find her or something? “Oh, you’re lost too? I don’t mind,” Susan replied. She sniffled and tried to adjust her coat, as if moving it would make her warmer somehow. She was not enjoying this weather at all. At the thump behind her though she turned, startled, and scanned the woods behind her, trying to figure out what had made that noise. "Did... did you hear something?"

"Agh... Ow."

Ormis had no idea how or why he had seen fit to run straight at the gap between the trees. Clearly he was going insane or something.

"Did... did you hear something?"

That voice sounded vaguely familiar... It was the healer girl, he was sure of it. What was her name... Sarah? Susan? Yeah, that was it. Susan, the other mage who was with them. Ormis slowly clambered to his feet, sheathing his sword in the process.

"Oh, uh, hi. Didn't see you there."

Ormis almost cringed at how awkward he sounded. Seriously, he had no idea what to say to her. The boy saw the chef guy behind her as well. From the looks of it, they had also fallen behind, although they certainly hadn't panicked as much as he had.

"Um... Yeah, I got lost and I have no idea where our fearless leader is. Do you guys mind if I tag along?"

((Alright, I'm going to be gone until Monday, so either Trent can character control or Ormis will just follow like a zombie. Toots~))

Edited by Camtech075

"I lost sight of Greg, and spotted you behind me. I'd rather not walk through here alone, haha" He smiled, calm now, as the woods had started to get to him for a few moments. He noticed her adjusting her coat, shivering a bit. "Hey, you must be cold; d'you want my cloak? I'm used to the weather in these parts, so I wouldn't mind." He said, going to take off his cloak as a thud landed behind the two of them. He shot his hand onto the hilt of his blade, "Yeah, I heard that", and peered behind them into the snow, only to see Ormis stand up and shake the snow off of himself.

This guy's gonna give me a heart attack. If it's not the arguing with Greg, it's something else...

"Didn't see you there, either." He said, a little snide, as he was generally annoyed with this guy. "I doubt either of us would object you coming along; we ARE part of the same merc group." By this point, he had finished getting his cloak off. It was a little cold, but he was still worried about Susan. She didn't seem like the strongest person, physically. "Here" he said, simply, as he held it out to her.

“Oh, it’s just you.I have no objections to you joining us,” Susan said, relieved it was just the other merc guy and not some wild creature or brigand. She gave Ormis and Adrian an odd look while she thought about the fact they were still behind. If all three of them were missing shouldn’t the others have waited for them? Taking down bandits with only half your mercenaries present generally wasn’t a good idea, but maybe Great Greg’s ego had some part in this.

Whatever was going on, it was still cold, and the chef was offering her his cloak. She mumbled thanks and took it, wrapped it about her shivering frame, and trekked off again through the snow. “We need to catch up before sundown. I have awful night vision and won’t be able to track them after that…”

Adrian didn't pay much attention to Susan's glance, more worried about the cold eating at him now. It probably wasn't apparent to Susan and Ormis, but it was a little cold for Adrian. "Hey, no problem." He said, smiling like normal as she mumbled her thank you. You don't have to be embarrassed about it he though, probably extremely wrong in his assumption. "Oh, right! Yeah, I don't think any of us could get through here at night, especially in this snow," he said, sighing just a little and following after her in the snow. "Hey, what d'you think Scarlet hair meant when she said 'Fire'? It's obviously got to be some village... right?" Adrian was convinced that was what it was.

((Cam said I could Character Control for him until he showed back up, so, just gonna have Ormis follow them))

"Hey, wait up!" Ormis shouted, continuing to be his loud, obnoxious self, as he ran up behind the two. He himself was just worried about getting out of the woods, and keeping up with Adrian and Susan. He didn't want to get lost again; the prospect of being alone in these woods was beginning to scare him.

Where DID Greg and that other girl go? They can't have gone that much quicker than us...

Edited by seph1212

Greg looked back to find that the group of kids he was supposed to be leading had all vanished. This was exactly why he'd stopped treating the weaker guys as his equals, they were weak, useless and in more cases then not wouldn't make it out alive.

He looked around again at least hoping that the witch'd be around somewhere but she'd apparently disappeared too, which was strange considering she'd been the one who suggested going into these damn woods in the first place. Cursing under his breath, he decided he'd go back and look for the kids. Knowing their kind they'd probably get hopelessly lost and die from the cold or lack of food.

Sighing to himself and at the silly kids, he was about to go back when he noticed that the snow nearby had been disturbed, and upon closer inspection, discovered that three pairs of feet had been wandering around the woods. Figuring who that the feet belonged to the kids, he decided to follow the footprints.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carrion looked back behind her to make sure she wasn't being followed, She'd made no efforts to hide her footprints, so she didn't want to risk either Greg or the other mercenaries finding out what she was doing. Checking one last time, she was about to hurry on, when a man slumped against a tree caught her eye.

At first she thought it was the guy that smelled like spices, but upon closer inspection discovered that it was just some villager she'd never seen before. Not really expecting the man to be alive, Carrion checked for a pulse, and to her surprise discovered that the man wasn't as dead as she'd originally thought, but unless he was moved to a warmer location definitely wouldn't last the night.

Figuring she couldn't leave the man to freeze to death, she rubbed her temples before trying to lift the man up. Only to give up two seconds later, and resting the man against the tree.

"Faye, give me a hand, this guy's not going to make it" she ordered to the space beside her head.

Zwool shook himself out of his own little world. He had been mezmerized by the snow, and the seen, it was all sorta... new to him. He had of course seen snow before, and it wasn't anything special, but the way the snow complimented the forest...

Enough of that though, he had to catch up with his companions. With a smile he unfurled his wings and took off after their foot prints, the crowd was about as stealthy as boulder, and he was sure to catch up not to long. He flew low and fast over the snow, just high enough that he could still see the tracks and that he wouldn't accidentaly run into one of them. The wind was a slight annoince, but it could have been worse, and the slight challenge thrilled him. Zwool hadn't had a chance to fly in awhile, not with a purpose or goal in mind, and he was just ecstatic.

Carrion placed her hands over the mans chest, tightly closing her eyes as she began chanting something in an ancient tongue. Magical energy radiating from her fingertips and through the mans body. Less than a minute had passed when a loud bang indicated that whatever Carrion was doing had ended.

"Faye" she questioned, but after a pause a look of disappointment crossed her face, as she responded to whatever voice she had heard with "Failure again." Wiping off the blood from her face, and whatever she could smudge off from her clothes, she looked over at the man who was now most certainly dead. If he were alive after having his ribs exposed and his heart removed he'd be nothing short of the living dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile Greg had caught up with the owner of the footprints he'd been following, unfortunately though the tracks hadn't led to the kids he'd been searching, but it was the next best thing. Quietly unsheathing his weapon, he glared at half a dozen ruffly dressed men who were discussing something amongst themselves.

The group continued to walk, making their way through the trees. The snow was beginning to let up, and that was a welcome thing for the uncloaked Adrian. He held himself a bit, trying to warm up. "So, does anyone know where we--" he began, getting cut off by a loud bang, which startled him, knocking him backwards into the snow "D-Did you all hear that!?" He asked, alive with fright. He was certain that everyone else had heard that; how could they not have? He got back up onto his feet, still shaking a little bit. That was LOUD. By the gods, what could have made such a sound?! He shook his head, no longer cold as his adrenaline began pumping. His hand was already on his sword as he looked around through the trees. "Ormis, Susan, do either of you have any idea where that came from?" His voice was serious now. I doubt bandits could have done something like that.

((inb4Kanamitellsmethebangwasn'tthatloud))

Ormis, walking silently, was letting his guard down slightly when the BANG went off. Now, Ormis had seen his share of things on his missions, but never something like that. Unlike Adrian, who fell into the snow, Ormis merely jumped a foot into the air, as well dropping his sword. Cursing under his breath, he bent over, retrieving his sword before settling into a defensive stance.

"Hey, don't just sit there. I have no clue where that was from either, but I wouldn't put it past bandits to ambush us after a scare like that."

Edited by Camtech075

"Sun's going down, need to hurry this up..." Grant mumbled to himself as he made his way as quickly as he could in his armor, trudging through snow. He knew the landscape a bit, but he didn't want to think about it. Being back in his homeland made him think about things he wish he could forget and move on from, but he never could entirely cope with the loss. Just focus on the god damn job, just focus on the god damn job, just... he continued to ramble in his mind.

As he trucked on, he could've sworn he heard a loud noise in the distance, almost like... "Shit, are they in here?" he tensed up as he set off towards the noise, his only for sure destination right as of now. His employer gave him almost no description of what he needed to do except to 'go stop some ruffians over there and you'll get paid. Bring proof.' No description of whoever was doing whatever, but it was about the only job he could take, and he hated yet somewhat enjoyed the thrill, no matter where it would lead him. Only time will tell, and that time was nigh.

Carrion hadn't noticed the presences of the others nearby until Adrian, or perhaps it was Ormis, either way, it was one of those boys walked into her line of sight. Fortunately for her, she was able to move behind the cover of a tree before their eyes met, though she wasn't sure if her sudden movement had garnered her the unwanted attention she wanted to avoid. Either way being found here with blood spattered on her clothes and a seemingly unarmed civilian with his heart gouged out wasn't something she was looking forward to.

She looked around to see if there was any way she could get out of there, finding a cluster of tree's she would probably conceal her escape, she peeked over at the trio who were fortunately not looking in her direction, how she'd failed to sense them coming was beyond her, but the silence of the woods and echoing effect caused by the tree's had at least confused them in regards to where the sound had come from.

Seeing her chance, she quickly leapt behind the cover of another tree, seemingly going unnoticed, and a few second later succeeded in another few leaps.

If I keep this up it'll be easy to get away

she thought to herself, but as soon as her confidence started to kick in, she made one more leap... a leap which was cut short by a man in emerald green plate-armor.

In a burst of panic, she pushed down with one her left foot hoping to avoid the man, a move which was successful, but came at the cost of her twisting her ankle in a way it shouldn't have been. Crumpling to the ground, as her foot wasn't able to support her weight. Cursing the snow, she glared angrily up at the man, who'd ruined her escape. He'd either done that on purpose, or his mind had been wandering and either way the pain in her leg wasn't putting her in the best of moods.

Edited by Kanami

Startled by the woman jumping in front of him suddenly, he let out a short gasp. Looking at her, she glared right back at him. A woman running, a loud noise suddenly. Curiouser and curiouser... he wondered to himself as he stared, noting she was grabbing her foot, possibly injuring it because of him.

"Can you walk?" Was all he could think to ask before he saw the blood stains on her clothing. Hers, or...? Was she running from someone or something or towards? Something was up, but what it was he could not say for sure. Warily, he offered her his hand to help her up, his mind still trying to figure out where all the pieces fit.

Carrion was about to pull herself up when the man reached out startling her. In a burst of panic, she instinctively slapped the hand away, glaring daggers at the man, before, using the nearby tree to pull herself up.

"I'm fine" she spat at the man before limping over to the next tree. her ankle was definitely swelling up, but that wasn't her main concern at this stage as she'd be suffering much worse if the anyone discovered what she'd done to the man slumped against a tree back there.

Zwool weaved through the thickening forest with relative ease, but he was forced to land and go it on foot as the trees got to thick for flight. He chuckled to himself over his folly, of course the woods would be thicker off the main path, trying to fly at all was actually a bad idea, considering the situation.

With a small shrug he charged after the trail, he still hadn't caught up to his companions, and now the trail split... One way had many more sets of prints, the other very few... Deciding there was power in numbers he turned to fallow the branching path, whoever branched off might get attacked, and he wanted to be there to help if they did, or atleast help them get back to the main group if they weren't.

Yes, slap the help away, make your injury permanent. He gave the woman a perplexed face as, to him, she looked far from fine. Growing tired of simply thinking of what the situation could be he turned to her, his hands up in the air slightly in defeat, "Look, can you just tell me what the heck is going on that's got you in such a fit right now? I'm supposed to be somewhere, I wonder if this is connected or not." Honestly though, he didn't expect a straight answer from her as she didn't seem the type to. He'd have to connect his own dots as usual. Such a lonely world this is.

Edited by SlaveBlade