Abysmal Souls Chapter 1: Soul Eater

Kanami

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Susan was able to erect a wall of water in front of herself, but there wasn't much she could do for anyone else at the moment unless they hid behind her wall. They'd have to avoid the fire somehow themselves or make it over there in time. She grunted as the wall began to wobble precariously; she'd never used so much water magic at one time before and with the strain of so many spells it was difficult to keep her focus.

He jumped back, landing himself near a tree. He was skeptical of what she was doing here, but when he thought of it for a second, his mind came to one conclusion.

"She tryin to burn the damn place down?!" he shouted, his anger peaking as he gripped the sword tightly in both hands charging at the witch. "Is that all you GOT?! BRING IT. rraaAAGH!" He used all his strength to bring the sword crashing down towards her, hoping not to cut, but to almost smash through her. This was no longer about family, he just couldn't stand her face anymore. He would hunt her down when he got the chance, if she'd be so bold as to come back from the dead again.

Ormis appeared to be the only one unfazed by her threat, as he had no idea where his family was or how they were faring. As far as he knew, they were dead. However, they did have a fight on their hands, and he was always up for one.

Dodging the initial wave of fireballs, Ormis barely got away with the tip of his cloak burned off. As the next wave came in, he blocked a few of them by throwing his cloak at them, letting it slow the flames down enough for him to be able to dodge. The next one, though, got the tip of his sword. Even through his gloves and the leather on the hilt he could feel the iron heat up.

"Yah-!?"

He tripped. Cursing his bad luck, he rolled behind a tree, then darted away as it caught fire.

"Heh, none of your puny fire is gonna hurt me," the mercenary grunted, weaving through the forest.

At least, he thought wryly, I'm used to fighting in areas like this.

Edited by Camtech075

Adrian watched the fight, steeling himself a chance to jump in, though, it didn't look like he was going to get one. Between the emerald knight and Susan, the fight seemed under control. Adrian kept himself close to the emerald guy, ready to attack along with him, if the need arose. Of course, when a dozen fireballs spawned out of thin air, he ran for the nearest tree, diving behind it as a fireball flew past. He wasn't fast enough and it caught his foot, causing him to yelp in pain as it scorched through his shoe, charing his foot. He went to grab it, but knew that would probably hurt it more, so he just shot it into some nearby snow, crying as pain shot through his body. He cursed under his breath, thinking to himself the entire time I want to go home, I want to see my family! The pain in his foot wasn't going to go away anytime soon.

Edited by seph1212

As the one of the flames smacked into the tree nearby that Carrion had been eyeing earlier a man jumped out shouting, "Shit I'm on fire! Put it out, someone put it out!" he bellowed waving his arm around in the air like a little kid.

Seeing this as her cue, Carrion wasn't going to let this chance go, "Faye!" she shouted almost desperately as Grant came at her with his blade again. She managed one final smirk before she vanished into thin air, the blade aimed for her cutting through the air and failing to connect with anything only a second later.

"What the-"

Ormis was about to counter when he noticed that the witch was no longer there.

"What the fuck? Where did-... She just-... Wha-..."

Utterly bewildered, the boy walked out, sword in hand. He didn't let his guard down, though, as he'd heard as clearly as anything the voice coming from the trees.

"Shit I'm on fire! Put it out, someone put it out!"

Ormis wasted no time is dumping a pile of snow on the man, extinguishing the flame before backing up, holding his sword out in an offensive stance, ready to strike.

"Ahhhh" the man said relaxing as the burning sensation gave way to the cold numbness of snow, "Thanks" the man stated before taking a few steps back and casually picking up his spear which he'd dropped when his arm had caught aflame.

Silence hadn't even begun to settle in when a man in the opposite direction started bellowing.

"Ron you useless fool" the man bellowed as several other men dressed in identical clothing stepped out from behind the tree's quickly encircling the group, spear poised to strike.

The man who'd spoken, was clearly in charge and judging by the look in his eyes, he wasn't there to make friends. "Lay your weapons down and we may spare your lives" he ordered gruffly, clearly indicating that he wouldn't take no as an answer.

If anyone had cared to look, they would have noticed that the fabric on the mans shoulder had the crest of Astarte embroidered into it.

Adrian had been in too much pain to notice the end of the battle with the witch. After everything had quieted down, the pain in his foot had gone away, as well as almost every other sensation. He could feel a slight twinge every time he tried to move it, and it was still completely intact. He didn't dare try to stand on it, though. "I hope Susan can fix this..." He said to himself, the tears freezing in the cold. He turned his head back towards the charred clearing when he heard a new, gruff voice. A group of soldier had appeared from within the trees, and they didn't look friendly. "Oh, great. Why couldn't it have just been bandits? Why all this?" He spoke to himself, unaware that everyone else could hear him.

Edited by seph1212

Grant's rage tired him out. His breathing was getting heavy with all the energy he expended and wearing the plate-mail. He would've given them a fight, but he couldn't. He wouldn't let go of his weapon though. To him that'd be suicide. The best they were going to get from him was sheathing it.

Ormis was still fairly strong, having not really not spent a lot of energy fighting the witch. However, he couldn't really do a lot against a group of this size with only one sword.

I can still use 2vvsy8m.jpg that if necessary, as a throwing weapon or a heavy spike... Not to mention all these sharp fragments.

"Let's see... we can commit guaranteed suicide or we can commit almost guaranteed suicide. Why don't you work out which one is which for yourself."

Ormis shifted his stance to a more defensive one, then stabbed his sword into the ground. Putting one hand under his belt onto his broken hilt, he spoke loudly, loud enough that, in the silence of a snow-covered dawn, most of the forest should be able to hear him.

"I think that, if I'm going to die either way, I think I'm going to take as many of you with me as I can!"

Edited by Camtech075

Adrians cowardly remark hadn't impressed any of the soldiers, and Grants refusal to drop his weapon, and opting to sheath it instead had irritated the Captain of the group enough, but before he could demand cooperation once more Ormis decided that he'd challenge the small troop, receiving a few angry shouts from the soldiers. The captain himself didn't look too pleased, he hadn't expected Saph scum to cooperate anyway.

Deciding that he'd deal with the others later, he signalled for his men to take out Ormis hoping that making an example of the kid would force the others into cooperation. His attention shifted to the girl who was holding her tome closely to herself, "You look like you've got some brains, hand over your weapons now" he said targeting Susan who seemed the most timid of the group.

Zwool saw the group of... soldiers? approach the main party, who had just challenged the One of Red Hair, she had vanished... so some sort of... teleport, maybe... either way, he knew he wouldn't want to deal with soldier's. He silently stole himself to the forest, leaving sight and mind as he went deeper in the woods. He didn't know the people, so if they died it wasn't his problem...

As he walked the forest he quietly started to call out. "She of Red Hair, are you still around? I would like to talk..." He didn't know if she was still in the region, or if she could hear him, but it was worth a shot...

Adrian, fed up will all this nonsense, tossed his sword over at the group, making sure not to actually hit one of the soldiers with it. "There!" he shouted, before whispering, "I just want to rest..." as he leaned back against the tree. He glanced over at Susan, hoping she'd be able to heal him before these soldiers stripped her of her book and weapons. Ahh well. Nothing I can do about it, I suppose. He heard Ormis's roar, and quickly yelled out "Ormis, don't be stupid! We all know you can't take them all; don't kill yourself over something like this!" Enough fighting already.

"Chances are that we're gonna be killed anyway, so may as well go down fighting! I seriously doubt that they'll actually spare us, so why the hell not!?"

Ormis had two dilemmas. First, his sword was still on the ground where he had left it. He *could* have made a point that he had in fact dropped his weapon, just not all of them. Secondly, he was in no shape to actually fight these soldiers for an extended period of time. He instead chose to grab a handful of blade shards and toss them at the soldiers. Not enough to actually hurt them unless it hit them in the face or something, but it looked fairly dangerous and would maybe buy enough time to make a leap... where? The nearest tree was quite far away, and he doubted he could reach it from here.

It's not like I have any other choice...

He went for it. Ormis sprung at the absolute last moment, flying away from the captain, towards a tree that was charred, but looked strong enough to hold his weight. It was also... on fire.

Shit.

Ormis fell short, and landed at the feet of some other soldiers.

"Pfeh..."

He stood up, taking out the 2vvsy8m.jpg broken hilt of his old sword, and his hunting knife. Turning around, he threw the hilt into the forest, past the soldiers. His knife he threw at a nearby tree, sticking it in without falling.

This is it... We're dead. There's no way they're gonna keep me alive, not after a show like that.

Edited by Camtech075

God dammit, kid... though you may be right, unfortunately. Grant fumed. He was tired, though he still wondered why they were even here. "What's your beef with us, if you'd be so kind as to tell us. It's not every day you just decide to randomly arrest random folk on business." Grant sighed as he thought about it.

Anything to stall and save his energy for a possible final stand.

A soldier quickly picked up Adrians sword before quickly stepping away signaling to the others that the man seemed unarmed. But as Adrian slumped down in hopes of getting a bit of rest, the soldiers violently forced him to his feet, before pulling out a piece of rope to tie his hands.

The antics of the kid hadn't gone unnoticed, fortunately for him, the soldiers weren't sure whether they should remain and continue menacing the obedient captives or go after the brash youth, buying Ormis a little more time then he probably thought he had. Though after a moments hesitation three of the nine soldiers present chased after the boy, weapons poised to deal a fatal blow.

As the captain seemed to be preoccupied engaging Susan in discussion, one of the soldiers, supposedly the second in command stepped up, demanding the sword be dropped, not sheathed, but dropped so that the others could un-arm them completely.

"I'm not at liberty to tell you why you're being taken into custody" the soldiers stated gruffly, clearly not willing to give the man an answer.

Edited by Kanami

Ormis ran. They clearly weren't going to let him survive, but he'd be faster with no cloak or weapons. The first thing he did was to abandon his armor on a nearby tree, before heading into a denser part of the forest. Things were actually beginning to look familiar, as his family had traveled this way a few times before. He ran off the path, into a denser part of the forest, never once looking back to see if they were gaining on him.

The mercenary had been in rough odds before, but never anything like this. Climbing a tree, he began leaping higher and higher, always going to get further from the ground. He was actually beginning to get a little winded now, but he couldn't stop. Pausing only to throw his sheath as far away from the tree as he could ((he's probably a good ~15 feet off the ground now)), he kept going. When the he reached the top, he stopped, listening.

I'm done for, aren't I... It's over, it's over, it's over... I don't want to die...

That was all Ormis could think. For the first time, he was truly scared and it showed. Tears were streaming down his face, though he dared not sob or tremble, lest he give away where he was.

The boy only had one thing left that could be used as a weapon, and it was hardly useful at all in a hand to hand fight. He silently took out the remaining portion of his 2vvsy8m.jpg broken blade, half a foot of heavy, shattered, sharp steel.

If they start climbing after me, I'll use this to keep them away. If they try to shake me down... then what?

The witch gone, Susan stood there panting as her barrier was lowered. She hadn’t gotten so much as a scratch, but that was more than she could say for some of the other combatants. She was about to go over and help Adrian when the soldiers showed up. If she had a stronger tome, maybe some more armor, and some defensive spells she was sure she could’ve taken out at least half the soldiers, as it was though she had no chance. Comply or die, it seemed.

Ormis was making a scene, as was Green Armor, who wasn't even part of their group, and Adrian was hurt. What was she supposed to do? “I’ll hand over my weapons. However, sir, I need to know they’ll be returned to me once whatever charges I’m under are cleared, as I’m sure they will be,” she said, and removed the dagger sheath from her waist, throwing it in the snow before her. She still held on to her tome, however. “I only ask that you allow me to heal that boy’s foot first, then I’ll hand over my tome.”

The soldiers that had gone after Ormis had lost the boy, while none of them thought the boy to be very bright, they all agreed that they'd underestimated his speed. Unfortunately for Ormis though, the soldiers walked right up to the tree he was hiding up looking up and locking gazes with the terrified boy. There was confusion in the boys eyes, but there really wasn't anything to it, they'd simply followed the tracks he'd left in the snow and looked up to find the boy.

The soldiers ordered him to come down so that they could kill him, not exactly tactful by any means, but they hadn't really expected Ormis to comply anyway. They'd only spared two second before the biggest of the three started hacking at the base. Figuring that cutting the tree down was the easiest method, plus, the boy would have to jump 14 feet or be crushed by the tree as it fell. Making their job easier whichever way things went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The captain looked Susan over, not entirely sure whether to trust the girl or not, he had no intentions of handing any of them their weapons back in the near future, but they didn't need to know that. Deciding that he'd rather not have the girl make a public display of her skills he nodded his head "They'll be returned to you shortly after we work a few things out" he lied.

The captain wasn't however willing to let the mage try anything funny, and refused to let her heal Adrian though, mages were known for their parlor tricks and he didn't need this one pretending to heal a guy only to end up striking at them with magic spells. The welfare of the group wasn't his concern anyway, they'd either be taken to their encampment and slain or sent back to the homeland to work in the ruins as slaves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by Kanami

Ormis was beginning to panic. It was about 14 feet to the nearest tree, so he could hardly jump that. He could come down, but that was foolhardy. The only option left was to go down with the tree as far as he could before one of them could grab him, then try to make a run for it. Hardly the best plan, there were several things that could go wrong (he could get crushed, he could get caught or he'd fall and they'd get him before he could bolt), but at least he had a chance. By his reckoning, he had about a 70% chance of failure.

Oh well, he'd beaten worse odds than this before, he lied to himself.

About three minutes later, the tree toppled, Ormis climbing around to the other side as it fell so as not to be killed underneath a metric ton of wood. Luckily, it toppled towards one of the soldiers, causing him to back out of the way, which was fortunate. In almost 6 seconds, the tree was close enough to the ground for him to drop down, which he did. Before any of the soldiers could react, he bolted again, this time weaving in and out of the trees so they couldn't see where he was going.

About 10 minutes later, when he stopped to catch his breath, he remembered that he'd forgotten to cover his footprints.

"Blast..."

Ormis was sunk. There was no way out of this, bar climbing up a tree again and hoping they wouldn't see him this time.

Wait...

Ormis had run into an area of forest where the trees were clumped close enough together that, by climbing to the top, he could leap from tree to tree like a squirrel, though he was seriously beginning to fatigue.

Oh well, it's either guaranteed death or a chance at guaranteed death.

The boy scampered up the tree as fast as he could, his fear fueling him this time. Once he reached the top, he could hear the soldiers gaining on him. Pausing only to drop his blade fragment on the ground, he leaped.

He barely made it, and he nearly lost his grip and fell. This tree went a little higher than the others, though, so he could climb above the tree level and be fairly concealed from the ground. Doing so, he clung to the top with his life.

I have nowhere else to run now. Ugh...

Adrian begrudgingly Got up with the soldiers as they pulled him, not trying to resist as he didn't want to have them hurt him. It seemed that the captain of these goons wasn't going to let Susan heal him, so he put up with the pain in his foot as he limped on it. Having his hands tied wasn't the most enjoyable thing, but there wasn't much he could do. Ormis shot off during this, but Adrian didn't pay him much mind. If he's stupid enough to try and escape, he's not worth me trying to convince him otherwise.

"So, why can't you tell us why we're being treated like criminals? Is it because we were fighting that witch?" He asked, directing his question at the captain. "I think we deserve to know. Of course, I doubt you'll tell me either way, but asking's all I can do right now."

The soldiers clearly weren't pleased with the result as the boy dashed into the woods again, it was almost as if he had some sort of divine blessing or the agility of one of those beast-people. Letting out a groan, they chased after the boy who seemed to have a untapped well of energy hidden somewhere.

They'd lost sight of him once again, but it was sort of getting repetitive as all they needed to do was follow the footprints that clearly marked the snow.

When the footprints once again ended at a tall tree, one of the soldiers rolled his eyes, as if to say "not this again" and while they couldn't see him this time, a fragment of some metal indicated that the man was indeed up the tree. The three bickered amongst themselves for a few moments before one of them grudgingly conceded, taking him body armor off as he prepared to climb the tree.

The man warmed his fingers up, and started climbing the tree at a rapid pace, he'd clearly done this, or at least something similar before, and if they didn't capture this troublesome runt, it'd be their own heads that'd be severed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The soldier who'd tied Adrian knee'd him in the backside, "Quiet, as a prisoner you'll remain silent, don't speak unless spoken to" he stated arrogantly clearly enjoying the power he had over Adrian, a few of the soldiers sniggered at the word "criminal."

The captain though, raised an eyebrow as he really hadn't expected them to insist on knowing why they were being arrested. "Reason'll be revealed as soon as Mr Green there hands over his weapon and you're all tied up, I'm not taking any risks and letting any of you run off with valuable information"

It was clear that these mercenaries had no idea why they were being taken prisoner, though the boy calling the red haired woman a witch unnerved him a bit.

Just a rural legend he told himself, and either way the woman was gone and out of his way now. Steeling himself to focus on the task at hand he ordered one of the soldiers to bind Susan, and the several others to disarm Grant, whether it be forcefully or willingly.

Adrian grunted and fell onto his good foot when he was kneed in the backside, tired of the bullshit he was getting from this soldier. With a loud roar he pushed back off of the ground and jammed his shoulder into the jaw of the soldier who'd kneed him, trying to knock him over. "If you want me to be a fucking compliant prisoner, don't knee me in the fucking back!" He screamed at the soldier. "I'm tired of this bullshit! I sign of for a mission to deal with some bandits, and I end up with my foot almost burnt off by some WITCH, half of the group I came here with missing, and now I'm being tied up by soldiers from some random country, who won't even tell us why they're tying us up!!" His mini rant over; his rage expelled, he sat on the ground. "I'll listen to you, as long as you keep your soldiers in check. I'd rather not get kneed in the back over one question."

Edited by seph1212

Refusing to let his weapon go, his expression grew angry as the soldiers' intents were made clear. "For god's sake, leave the child ALONE! You cannot seriously consider killing a kid an important duty for your country!" These guys were just dicks, through and through. Grant figured he could take a few of them, but his chances would increase if he could get to the mage girl and her friend.

"How open are you for negotiation...?" He finally spat out.