our life is a never ending
adventure? How many times have
we met, and yet no one seems to remember?[A][OpenRight]
Eliwood? Are you feeling alright?[A][X]

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm able to insert the events and have the opening scene play out just fine.

8tR6oYi.png

The only thing amiss about the text is a few missing [A] commands, but that doesn't affect the portraits loading.
Try inserting the events on a fresh ROM to see if you can duplicate the behavior.

Hm...did you add any of the changes you gave me? Or did you just copy and paste my original post? Either way, I'll try again momentarily.

EDIT: Well, tried on a new ROM, and seemed to have worked. Thanks a bunch!

Edited by AlecChan

New question, and apologies for posting so much, however I honestly find asking questions here significantly more helpful than most tutorials, as I personally find most convoluted. Anywho, onto the questions

1) Setting up a seize event

I've tried what is said in the Ultimate tutorial, and I get an error telling me "No code named Sieze found.", is it done through misc events? or Locations? A brief description and maybe a small snippet from an already working hack would be wonderful.

2)Defining the lord

What am I mean by this, in order to get the "GameOverIfLordDies" code to work, the game has to realize who the lord is...how on earth is that done? Through nightmare or eventing?

Thanks again for everything thus far

From Arch's Guide to Chapter Construction:

Seize(X,Y) //This will automatically load EndingScene
Seize(eventID,SceneLabel,X,Y) //This can be used for multiple-seize chapters ala FE4.

GameOverIfLordDies is an event that is triggered when event ID 0x66 is triggered. To trigger this when a character dies, set their death quote ID to 0x66.

I have a problem with event assembler. Everytime I try to put this in my hack:

[OpenRight] [LoadFace] [0x02] [0x01]

Hi, I'm Percy. [A] [X]

it keeps saying there's an error. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

I've been trying to plug in my text into my hack, but it always says it doesn't reach end. I also gives me the line and column number, but i didn't find anything wrong. The text I'm trying to put in is:

[OpenRight][LoadFace][0x02][0x01]
Hi there.[.][A][X]
And it always says: Line #, Column #: Didn't reach end, currently at blah blah blah
Can someone please help me?????

One cuestion, is there a way to dissasemble a Vanilla chapter with the macros?? Cause every time when i dissasemble a chapter it is a bit hard for me to figure it out the raws, it is hard to read, is there a way to disassemble a vanilla chapter with the macross applied to it? I want to add some units, and set new recruitments. Is there a tutorial for it? and, if i modify a Vanilla chapter, is it better to repoint it if i just add some units, or can i leave it at its offset? Also, I used the event assembler twice on my rom, and then, Feditor stoped to loading it. Just added units to a vanilla chapter.

Edited by marlon0024

Oh okay. The thing is, I wanna patch my txt into the game like input it in so I think you must be talking about something else

i know exactly what i'm talking about, and if i'm reading you right, you have a text file with FEditor-formatted text that you're trying to insert with event assembler

this is the wrong tool for this job.

Event Assembler (the small little window) is used for inserting chapters, in which you specify your units, etc. an event file looks like this:

// XXX - this is not an actual chapter and won't work; i ripped it from arch's tutorial and modded it a bit

#define DISABLE_TUTORIALS

#include EAstdlib.event

EventPointerTable(0x6,Chapter)

ORG StartOffset

Chapter:

POIN TurnEvents

POIN TalkEvents

POIN LocationEvents

POIN MiscEvents

POIN TerrainEvents TerrainEvents

POIN Bad Bad Bad Bad

POIN Good Good Good Good

POIN OpeningScene EndingScene

Bad:

UNIT

Good:

UNIT Lyn LynLord 0x0 Level(1, Ally, False) [0,0] [1,1] [ironSword] 0

UNIT

TurnEvents:

TurnEventPlayer(OpeningEvent, 0, 1)

TURN

CharacterEvents:

CHAR

LocationEvents:

LOCA

MiscEvents:

CauseGameOverIfLordDies

AFEV

TerrainEvents:

BLST

ALIGN 4

Opening_event:

MUS1 0x0034 //Plays music 0x0034

CMOF //Tells the camera to not follow unit movement/loading.

LOU1 Cornwell Araphen //Loads units under the headers "Cornwell "and "Araphen"

BACG 0x10 //Sets the Background to 0x01, which displays without a FADU thanks to the 'fade to black'

TEX1 0x0820 //Displays text at index 0820

CAM1 Raven //Puts the camera on Raven before the REMA, when the game wipes the screen the camera will already be on Raven.

REMA //Wipes the screen of backgrounds, portraits and text.

MUEN 0x01 //Ends the music at speed 0x01 (basically instantly).

STAL 0x10 //Stalls the game for 0x10

CURF Raven //Cursor-flash on Raven

TEX1 0x0821

REMA

MUS1 0x0033

CMOF

LOU1 Heath1 //Loads the unit under header "Heath1," which is, as the name implies, Heath.

ENUN //Tells the game to wait until unit movement has ceased to continue with events.

MOVE Lucius [2,2] //Moves Lucius to coordinate 2,2

ENUN

FADI 10 //Fade in at speed 10

BACG 0x04

FADU 10

TEX1 0x0822

MUS1 0x0057 //This is a more advanced feature. The previous text cuts off at a point, then the game reads this code to change music mid-dialogue.

MORETEXT 0x0824 //Continues text using previous text's portraits. This is the other half of the dialogue, but now with song 0x57 playing.

REMA

ENDA //Ends the event.

EndingScene:

MoveToChapter(NextChapter)

MESSAGE Events end at offset currentOffset

//The map for this chapter is at offset: ????????

What you want is a tool called FEditor Advance that looks like this:

qCOjp0f.png

Edited by CT075

One cuestion, is there a way to dissasemble a Vanilla chapter with the macros?? Cause every time when i dissasemble a chapter it is a bit hard for me to figure it out the raws, it is hard to read, is there a way to disassemble a vanilla chapter with the macross applied to it? I want to add some units, and set new recruitments. Is there a tutorial for it? and, if i modify a Vanilla chapter, is it better to repoint it if i just add some units, or can i leave it at its offset? Also, I used the event assembler twice on my rom, and then, Feditor stoped to loading it. Just added units to a vanilla chapter.

EA is unable to add macros to disassembled chapters.

If you are looking to add additional stuff to vanilla chapters, always repoint. Adding things almost always results in the new events being larger than the original, and causes data overwrite.

i know exactly what i'm talking about, and if i'm reading you right, you have a text file with FEditor-formatted text that you're trying to insert with event assembler

this is the wrong tool for this job.

Event Assembler (the small little window) is used for inserting chapters, in which you specify your units, etc. an event file looks like this:

// XXX - this is not an actual chapter and won't work; i ripped it from arch's tutorial and modded it a bit

#define DISABLE_TUTORIALS

#include EAstdlib.event

EventPointerTable(0x6,Chapter)

ORG StartOffset

Chapter:

POIN TurnEvents

POIN TalkEvents

POIN LocationEvents

POIN MiscEvents

POIN TerrainEvents TerrainEvents

POIN Bad Bad Bad Bad

POIN Good Good Good Good

POIN OpeningScene EndingScene

Bad:

UNIT

Good:

UNIT Lyn LynLord 0x0 Level(1, Ally, False) [0,0] [1,1] [ironSword] 0

UNIT

TurnEvents:

TurnEventPlayer(OpeningEvent, 0, 1)

TURN

CharacterEvents:

CHAR

LocationEvents:

LOCA

MiscEvents:

CauseGameOverIfLordDies

AFEV

TerrainEvents:

BLST

ALIGN 4

Opening_event:

MUS1 0x0034 //Plays music 0x0034

CMOF //Tells the camera to not follow unit movement/loading.

LOU1 Cornwell Araphen //Loads units under the headers "Cornwell "and "Araphen"

BACG 0x10 //Sets the Background to 0x01, which displays without a FADU thanks to the 'fade to black'

TEX1 0x0820 //Displays text at index 0820

CAM1 Raven //Puts the camera on Raven before the REMA, when the game wipes the screen the camera will already be on Raven.

REMA //Wipes the screen of backgrounds, portraits and text.

MUEN 0x01 //Ends the music at speed 0x01 (basically instantly).

STAL 0x10 //Stalls the game for 0x10

CURF Raven //Cursor-flash on Raven

TEX1 0x0821

REMA

MUS1 0x0033

CMOF

LOU1 Heath1 //Loads the unit under header "Heath1," which is, as the name implies, Heath.

ENUN //Tells the game to wait until unit movement has ceased to continue with events.

MOVE Lucius [2,2] //Moves Lucius to coordinate 2,2

ENUN

FADI 10 //Fade in at speed 10

BACG 0x04

FADU 10

TEX1 0x0822

MUS1 0x0057 //This is a more advanced feature. The previous text cuts off at a point, then the game reads this code to change music mid-dialogue.

MORETEXT 0x0824 //Continues text using previous text's portraits. This is the other half of the dialogue, but now with song 0x57 playing.

REMA

ENDA //Ends the event.

EndingScene:

MoveToChapter(NextChapter)

MESSAGE Events end at offset currentOffset

//The map for this chapter is at offset: ????????

What you want is a tool called FEditor Advance that looks like this:

qCOjp0f.png

Okay, but how do I input the text into my hack?

Okay, but how do I input the text into my hack?

By using the tool that Cam has been telling you to use: FEditor Adv.

In FEditor, open the Text Editor, go to the text slot you want to change, and edit the text. Once you're done, press the 'Apply' button, and then do File->Save.

Voila, the text is now in the ROM.

Edited by Primefusion

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it stops at 0xFF, but there are certain specific IDs that don't work as they should (e.g. IDs 0x40-0x64). It wouldn't surprise me if some of the IDs beyond 0x66 were a bit broken as well.

Is there some way to make IFUF work for NPC units? I've heard that the first parameter is supposed to be the unit's allegeance, but all my experiments have been fruitless so far: Whenever I change it, the conditional just seems to return true every time...

Don't think so. NPC and enemy units are not loaded into the RAM the same way okayer units are so codes relating to their alive/dead or deployed statuses don't usually work. You'd have to find a more creative way to check if the unit is still alive. You could attach a trigger ID to the death quote, for example, and then make the condition check for the death quote ID.