Event Assembler Questions Thread

CT075

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few more questions, if nobody minds...

1. The loading of my units takes absolutely forever. Is there anyway to speed this up? The screen ends up staying black for like 4 or 5 seconds with just a bunch of footsteps the whole time.

2. I have the tutorial disabler on, but the tutorial text still comes up. For example, "Select Lyn". Nothing happens if I don't, but how do I get those events out of there?

3. This is my real issue. In short, I think I'm basically having trouble distinguishing where event assembling ends and nightmare editing begins, in terms of units.

a) How do I control generic enemy stats? Just with levels?

b) My units aren't even loading the right way. I have Hector set to load, and he comes up as Ch 13 boss Boies. Sain and Kent become a generic morph and Denning. WTF?

I think there's more, but that's all I can remember for now.

1) Turn Camera follow off just before units are loaded

Example:

CMOF
LOU1 SomeUnits
ENUN
CMON

2) Are you sure you changed the pointer correctly? You should post your events.

3) a] Set autolevel equal to true.

b] Like before, post your events.

"Which" tutorial disabler are you using?

The one we tend to use is the simple one. The one built in to the Event Assembler.

#define DISABLE_TUTORIALS

#include EAstdlib.event

Put the "#define DISABLE_TUTORIALS" at the top of your event file.

Might as well post this question on multiple sites.

Do you have to be in Eliwood Mode for the PromoteMainChar macro to work? Or am I missing something? I've got this ending event:

Ending_event:
MUEN 0x01
FADI 0x10
ClearAllUnits
STAL 10
LOU1 Ending_Ally
ENUN
MUS1 0x3A8
CAM1 [00,22]
BACG 0x55
FADU 0x10
TEX1 0x8A0
REMA
STAL 3
FAWI 0x50
FAWU 0x50
STAL 5
FAWI 0x30
FAWU 0x30
STAL 10
FAWI 0x05
BACG 0x55
STAL 0x10
FAWU 0x05
TEX1 0x8A1
MUS1 0x0
MUS1 TheArchsageAthos
MORETEXT 0x8A3
REMA
STAL 25
PromoteMainChar  /////////////////Right here///////////////////////////
STAL 1250
_0x89
MUEN 1
MUS1 OneHeart_EliwoodsTheme
Text(0x8A4,0x89E)
Text(0x8A5,0x89E)
STAL 10
ITGM ManiKatti
MNCH 0x00
STAL 1
_0x1
ENDA

The thing is all that's really happening when the PromoteMainChar macro triggers is the main character's map sprite is put at the coordinates [00,00] on the map and then the game hangs. Looking at Ch 27's events didn't help either. All they added was a fancy flash effect (The screen fades into white and then out of white very quickly).

There is something I've never been too sure about FE7, but I figured I'd confirm it with you guys. So if I don't put the Lyn mode ending thing in a chapter then does that mean it will continue to allow Lyn/ the character replacing Lyn to keeps seizing and being auto-forced? Also if the Lyn mode ending thing isn't put in does that mean the CG for the One Year Later thing is not put in between chapters ten and eleven?

There is something I've never been too sure about FE7, but I figured I'd confirm it with you guys. So if I don't put the Lyn mode ending thing in a chapter then does that mean it will continue to allow Lyn/ the character replacing Lyn to keeps seizing and being auto-forced? Also if the Lyn mode ending thing isn't put in does that mean the CG for the One Year Later thing is not put in between chapters ten and eleven?

The "One Year Later" CG is hardcoded to appear between chapter 10 and 11. You have to find the image and paste over the words with black to "remove it".

If you haven't triggered Lyn's ending, then the person occupying slot 0x03 will be the one seizing/forced every chapter. Unfortunately if you plan to promote your lord with the PromoteMainChar ASMC command...it only works as intended in Eliwood and Hector mode (Learned this the hard way).

Edited by Primefusion

The "One Year Later" CG is hardcoded to appear between chapter 10 and 11. You have to find the image and paste over the words with black to "remove it".

If you haven't triggered Lyn's ending, then the person occupying slot 0x03 will be the one seizing/forced every chapter. Unfortunately if you plan to promote your lord with the PromoteMainChar ASMC command...it only works as intended in Eliwood and Hector mode (Learned this the hard way).

Ah, I see, thanks for the information.

Might as well post this question on multiple sites.

Do you have to be in Eliwood Mode for the PromoteMainChar macro to work? Or am I missing something? I've got this ending event:

Ending_event:
MUEN 0x01
FADI 0x10
ClearAllUnits
STAL 10
LOU1 Ending_Ally
ENUN
MUS1 0x3A8
CAM1 [00,22]
BACG 0x55
FADU 0x10
TEX1 0x8A0
REMA
STAL 3
FAWI 0x50
FAWU 0x50
STAL 5
FAWI 0x30
FAWU 0x30
STAL 10
FAWI 0x05
BACG 0x55
STAL 0x10
FAWU 0x05
TEX1 0x8A1
MUS1 0x0
MUS1 TheArchsageAthos
MORETEXT 0x8A3
REMA
STAL 25
PromoteMainChar  /////////////////Right here///////////////////////////
STAL 1250
_0x89
MUEN 1
MUS1 OneHeart_EliwoodsTheme
Text(0x8A4,0x89E)
Text(0x8A5,0x89E)
STAL 10
ITGM ManiKatti
MNCH 0x00
STAL 1
_0x1
ENDA

The thing is all that's really happening when the PromoteMainChar macro triggers is the main character's map sprite is put at the coordinates [00,00] on the map and then the game hangs. Looking at Ch 27's events didn't help either. All they added was a fancy flash effect (The screen fades into white and then out of white very quickly).

Yes, you must be in Eliwood mode to promote him with the code. Also, try using the actual ASMC $ code (not sure what it is off the top of my head). Worked for me.

Yes, you must be in Eliwood mode to promote him with the code. Also, try using the actual ASMC $ code (not sure what it is off the top of my head). Worked for me.

The macro and ASMC code are one and the same (ASMC 0x79AF5). I actually figured this out on my own later. It seems if you try to use this code in Lyn mode the last boss you defeated will promote into the character that dealt the killing blow instead O_o

Going to make an educated guess and say it's safe to use in Hector Mode as well. Just that the person using Hector's character slot will promote obviously.

For whatever reason, I never get it as easy as just using those codes. I tried the same thing when Krad gave me the code LynModeEnding and still had to use the $ code instead. I also have to constantly use BACG and I need to use 0x0A and 0x05 when doing my fades. Doesn't bother me too much, since it's pretty much second nature now.

1) Turn Camera follow off just before units are loaded

Example:

CMOF
LOU1 SomeUnits
ENUN
CMON

Do you think that would help me fix this?

WTF.png

Basically, this happens as the enemy units load, they load in certain groups for whatever reason, and the camera moves back and forth for each group. I've tired seperating them, but to no avail. It doesn't really effect anything, as you can't move units over there, and it clears up if you scroll to the left first.

Nintenlord is pretty good about reverse compatibility, even if he updates things it tends to be in a way that will keep all old scripts working just fine. ^_^

EDIT: Guess I might as well say, yes, turning the Camera off should fix that problem. In some cases though using the CAM codes too close to off-screen will result in something like what you showed, where parts of the map end up showing where they shouldn't be. I'm not sure why it would happen with loading units (unless you loaded units off-screen) but meh, turning the camera off should fix that... (CMOF is the code IIRC)

Edited by Luffy

Ok, so here's the script in question from about a page ago.

#include EAstdlib.event
#define DISABLE_TUTORIALS

EventPointerTable(0x06,Pointers)

org 0x00D80000

Pointers:
POIN Turn_events 
POIN Character_events 
POIN Location_events 
POIN Misc_events
POIN BallistaData BallistaData
POIN Bad Bad Bad Bad
POIN Good Good Good Good
POIN Opening_event Ending_event

Bad:
UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [14,11] [14,11] [ironAxe] [NoAI]
UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [19,13] [29,13] [ironAxe] [NoAI]
UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [15,15] [15,15] [ironAxe] [NoAI]
UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [12,31] [12,31] [HandAxe] [NoAI]
UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [9,27] [9,27] [ironAxe] [NoAI]
UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [22,25] [22,25] [steelAxe] [NoAI]
UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [24,15] [24,15] [ironAxe] [NoAI]
UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [24,17] [24,17] [ironAxe] [NoAI]
UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [10,20] [10,20] [ironAxe] [NoAI]
UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [14,11] [14,11] [ironAxe] [NoAI]
UNIT Batta Brigand Batta Level(7,Enemy,True) [4,30] [4,30] [steelAxe,HandAxe] [0x00,0x22,0x00,0x00]
UNIT Empty

Good:
UNIT Eliwood Mercenary Eliwood Level(3,Ally,False) [13,0] [13,0] [ironSword,Vulnerary] [0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00]
UNIT Lyn Archer_F Eliwood Level(2,Ally,False) [12,0] [12,1] [ironBow,Vulnerary] [0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00]
UNIT Hector Mage_F Eliwood Level(2,Ally,False) [14,0] [14,2] [Fire,Vulnerary] [0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00]
UNIT Empty

Hector:
UNIT Hector Mage_F Eliwood Level(2,Ally,False) [14,10] [14,10] [Fire,Vulnerary] [0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00]
UNIT Empty

Sain:
UNIT Sain Cavalier Eliwood Level(2,Ally,False) [8,12] [9,13] [ironSword,SteelSpear] [NoAI]
UNIT Empty

Kent:
UNIT Kent Cavalier Eliwood Level(3,Ally,False) [8,12] [7,13] [steelSword,Javelin,Vulnerary] [NoAI]
UNIT Empty

Turn_events:
TurnEventPlayer(0x00,Opening_event,1)

Character_events:
CHAR

Location_events:
Village(0x11,Village1,8,12)
Village(0x12,Village2,18,22)
LOCA

Misc_events:
CauseGameOverIfLordDies
AFEV

Opening_event:
LOU1 Bad
LOU1 Good
ENUN
OOBB
MUS1 (0x004C)
Text(0x04,0x0815)
DISA Hector
LOU1 Hector
MUEN (0x05)
REMA
MUS1 (0x0032)
CAM1 Eliwood
MOVE Lyn [12,7]
MOVE Eliwood [13,8]
MOVE [14,11] [13,9]
Tex1 0x0817
REMA
FIGH 0x88 Eliwood Fight1 $00000000
KILL [13,9]
ENDA

Fight1:
AttackerMiss(00)
DefenderCritical(30,01)
EndOfBattle

Village1:
MUS1 TogetherWeRide
FADI 10
BACG 0x02
Tex1 0x0816
MORETEXT 0x0818
REMA
MUEN 10
LOU1 Sain
Lou1 Kent
ENUN
ENDA

Village2:
MUSI
Text(0x02,0x0814)
ITGV SilverSword
MUNO
ENDA

Ending_event:
MNCH 0x00
ENDA

BallistaData:
BLST

MESSAGE Events end at offset currentOffset
//The map for this chapter is at offset: ????????

EDIT: CMOF+CMON don't seem to be helping. It just starts the camera off somewhere wierd. The load times are still ridiculous. Though I'm probably just doing it wrong.

Edited by bigmac909

Opening_event:

LOU1 Bad

LOU1 Good

ENUN

OOBB

I don't see a CMON or CMOF in your opening event at all. Did you try this?

CMOF
LOU1 Bad
LOU1 Good
ENUN
CMON
CAM1 [Where ever you want to put it]
OOBB

You have alot wrong going on in your event there, so i'll try to help as best I can. (You can tell how long it's been since i've had to read arch's EA for dummies topiclaugh.gif).

First off, the leader of each group should be the first character in your list, and should have a leader value of 0x00. You have them set as Batta, Eliwood, etc. So that needs to be fixed. Also, I don't think you can actually use NoAI, that might have been just a placeholder.

I don't know why you have Hector set to disappear and then reappear, but that needs to be changed as well. You also need to use ENUN after using MOVE or DISA. IIRC there is also a code that let's you move multiple units at once.

TogetherWeRide also gave me an error, even though I have updated my EA standard library. But that might still be my fault. I also have no clue what MUEN is.

Some of your text pointers say "Text" or "Tex1" with lower case letters. All those need to be changed to say TEX1, except in the case where you have MORETEXT. You're also missing a few REMA's after some of your text pointers, or they are not set in the correct spots.

Since you're using OOBB, check nightmare to make sure that the chapter data is set to "fade to black". That might be the problem you're having. You also have ???????? set as your map offset, which obviously needs to be set to load a map.

Finally, check nightmare to make sure you have whatever map you want to use set as the prologue map, and that the offsets are correct. If you inserted your own map, remember that you needed to add 8000000 to the offset value when setting it in nightmare.

Whether or not this solves your problem, IDK, but I learned what I know from everyone here, so hopefully someone can come in and clear some of this up. This should at least eliminate some problems you would have encountered later on when playtesting the chapter.

First off, the leader of each group should be the first character in your list, and should have a leader value of 0x00. You have them set as Batta, Eliwood, etc. So that needs to be fixed.

The leader byte only affects who is displayed on the status screen.

Also, I don't think you can actually use NoAI, that might have been just a placeholder.

NoAI is a macro for [00000000]. If you don't want the unit to have any AI, use NoAI. (Though because it's a macro for 8 0's it can be used elsewhere).

TogetherWeRide also gave me an error, even though I have updated my EA standard library. But that might still be my fault. I also have no clue what MUEN is.

MUS1 TogetherWeRide is correct. MUEN fades music out (The byte after designates the speed of fading).

Some of your text pointers say "Text" or "Tex1" with lower case letters. All those need to be changed to say TEX1, except in the case where you have MORETEXT. You're also missing a few REMA's after some of your text pointers, or they are not set in the correct spots.

Text(textpointer) is another macro, hence why it's lower case. Though Tex1 does need to be changed to TEX1.

Are you sure you have an up-to-date EA Spy Hunter? The current version is 8.5.

EDIT: Bigmac, the problem you're getting with units is because "Kent" and "Sain" are already macros for the units themselves and you're trying to use them as pointers. Change it to something like "KentLoad"

Example:

LOU1 KentLoad
ENUN

KentLoad:
UNIT Blah blah
UNIT

Edited by Primefusion

First off, the leader of each group should be the first character in your list, and should have a leader value of 0x00.

It doesn't matter. The leader is just the character who appears in the "status" screen on the A-menu.

I don't know why you have Hector set to disappear and then reappear, but that needs to be changed as well. You also need to use ENUN after using MOVE or DISA. IIRC there is also a code that let's you move multiple units at once.

You don't need ENUN after DISA. You move multiple units by having a bunch of MOVE codes and having one ENUN at the end. Having Hector disappear/reappear shouldn't cause a problem unless he's on top of someone.

MUEN makes the music end, "MUsic ENd".

Since you're using OOBB, check nightmare to make sure that the chapter data is set to "fade to black". That might be the problem you're having. You also have ???????? set as your map offset, which obviously needs to be set to load a map.

The ???????? as the map offset in your file would do absolutely nothing, since it's a comment that's ignored by the EA.

Now, your problem is that units take forever to load, yes? You have one unit that does this:

UNIT 0x88 Brigand Batta Level(4,Enemy,True) [19,13] [29,13] [ironAxe] [NoAI]

As you can see, he has to walk ten tiles across the map. While this usually shouldn't cause massive stalling, if your map is very twisty and turn-y and/or has a lot of obstacles, it might take a little longer.

Post your map, and I might be able to give you a more definite fix.

Edited by CT075