Event Assembler Questions Thread

CT075

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please do not insinuate that this is my fault just because codes you posted aren't working. I've read the tutorial multiple times, and done everything you said, including still finding the code for the text boxes on my own after asking. And you just said yourself that the codes you posted are not in the tutorial. It's not a matter of finding or reading, it's a matter of figuring out why it won't work.

Excuse me, but it IS your fault that the codes aren't working. Unless you mean to say that your computer, out of EVERYONE ELSE'S can suddenly defy the EA's programming and make codes that work for me not work for you. Please don't tell me that it's MY FUCKING FAULT that YOU don't know how to copy-paste.

First thing, it it's not working, it's your fault. Period. It's not the tutorial writer's fault unless his information is faulty, and, at the moment, Arch's tutorial is almost completely up-to-date. He explains, in no complicated terms, that the code IFYN [iD] checks if the previous text command reads a "yes". I explained (REPEATEDLY) that the code [Yes] brings up a yes/no prompt in the text.

Secondly, you seem to insist on using the code "_ASMOxwhatever". I have no idea where the fuck that's from. The code I gave you uses a ZERO, not an O. I'm sure that if you were to just try and copy-paste the damn code, it would work.

And finally, at the bolded bit, you are wrong. If you need to find out how something works, go disassemble a chapter from Vanilla and work it out yourself. How do you think we found all these codes? As I said, "_ASM0x42 0x83181" was never listed in the tutorial, yet I know what it is and what it does. GASP IT'S NOT IN THE TUTORIAL HOW AM I EVER GOING TO FIND IT?

The Event Assembler has a Disassembly function for a reason, and it's not just there to look pretty. If you don't know how a certain thing works, GO FUCKING FIND IT FOR YOURSELF.

Rather, I'm... physically sensitive to hostility (or, more accurately, blatantly over-the-top arrogance),

You should take your own perspective into consideration when giving help, CT075. Such behaviour is usually acting in antithesis to actually helping someone with their problems. This is still a niche area, but it doesn't do any good to belittle others when they are looking for help.

You should take your own perspective into consideration when giving help, CT075. Such behaviour is usually acting in antithesis to actually helping someone with their problems. This is still a niche area, but it doesn't do any good to belittle others when they are looking for help.

You know, for once, I agree with you. I really, really lost it. On the other hand, I make it a point to try and keep a calm profile when answering questions. If you were to read the last... I think it's about two pages, that should be clear enough. But when he comes around and tells me that it's MY fault that his codes aren't working... well, that just got to me.

Either way, now I feel really silly. Thank you.

Please do not insinuate that this is my fault just because codes you posted aren't working.

EDIT: Also, before you take my post offensively, it's not your fault these codes won't work. Whoever wrote the tutorial and updates the EA should really keep up on these things, although you could have at least told me what the code should be doing.

Mixed messages much?

EDIT: Not to mention, Nintenlord and Arch are friends of mine, and you're passing blame directly onto them. In a programmer's world, if something fucks up, it's the programmers fault, and no one else's. And that's all eventing really is, simplified programming.

Edited by CT075

So what you're saying is that the tutorials should only give us half the info, and we have to search the rest ourselves? It's not my fault if I have to go to another topic and ask for a code that should be mentioned in the tutorial in the first place, but I do agree that if I can't get it to work, that is my fault. But if you're gonna write a tutorial, you shouldn't leave out necessary codes. Just because you know it, doesn't mean I do, and even though you posted them, you still never told me what they're supposed to be doing, so that I can find out how to make them work based on the results I should be seeing.

Not my fault, not your fault, needs to be explained in the tutorial, sorry for insulting you. Simple as that.

So what you're saying is that the tutorials should only give us half the info, and we have to search the rest ourselves?

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro

Despite this, hackers have a reputation for meeting simple questions with what looks like hostility or arrogance. It sometimes looks like we're reflexively rude to newbies and the ignorant. But this isn't really true.

What we are, unapologetically, is hostile to people who seem to be unwilling to think or to do their own homework before asking questions. People like that are time sinks — they take without giving back, and they waste time we could have spent on another question more interesting and another person more worthy of an answer.

All the codes... save experimental ones, are in the Event Assembler Language file.

Even the experimental ones are in the Language Raws folder.

But if you're gonna write a tutorial, you shouldn't leave out necessary codes.

Every code you need to make a complete chapter IS in Arch's tutorial.

Whatever the hell ASM code you're trying to mess with, I'm pretty sure isn't needed for the typical chapter.

Fading out of the black that the Chapter Data Editor is simply gotten out of with the OOBB code.

Then the rest of the crap you need to do, except for special effects which AREN'T AT ALL NECESSARY TO MAKE A WORKING CHAPTER, which was the purpose of the tutorial, has been covered.

To make the text box NOT screw up... you should have copied and pasted the code. That or checked your spelling.

Here... I'll make it easier on you.

#define Waitfortextbox "_ASM0x42 0x83181"

Put that on your event file, and stop blaming Arch or Nintenlord for your spelling errors.

Edited by shadowofkitty

@CT075: It's pretty much unnecessary to say at this time but I'll have to say it anyway: Calm down and try not to snap at people asking for help because as Celice said:

it doesn't do any good to belittle others when they are looking for help

If anything, it's likely to be more counterproductive since the person you direct such a post to may just end up more focused on the hostility of the post than anything else.

@Scott Pilgrim: There was no instance in which you showed that you actually copied the ASM code correctly (CTRL + F "ASM0" and it only shows up in CT075 and Shadowofkitty's posts. Yours have vowel O instead of the number 0 as he said) so it's not exactly out of the blue to say that it is your fault and a reply like this:

Please do not insinuate that this is my fault just because codes you posted aren't working. I've read the tutorial multiple times, and done everything you said, including still finding the code for the text boxes on my own after asking. And you just said yourself that the codes you posted are not in the tutorial. It's not a matter of finding or reading, it's a matter of figuring out why it won't work.

Welcomes hostility. You should read that link Shadowofkitty and be more attentive of your posts, report and code.

Edited by Sirius

I realized my mistake and that's why I was apologizing to Cam, it's just the way some people act here that's just atrocious. I've only been doing this for a few weeks, and so I would expect that people would realize that, but I guess not. However, I still stand by my comment that these codes need to be noted in Arch's tutorial if they haven't already, instead of telling newbies to "go search it yourself by doing something you have no clue how to do". Even if I could, how would I know which code is which unless someone told me. Whoever updates the EA library gets my apologies as well.

Read that article. Seriously. We aren't being paid for this, you know. You aren't entitled to an answer. Hell, the only reason this thread (and the myriad of tutorials out there) exist is so you don't have to go through all the shit that we had to. I don't give a fuck how long you've been doing this. I really don't. You could have been doing it since before the EA came out for all I care. If I'm going to spend time trying to help you, prove to me that you're not just a waste of said time. If you're going to sit around and complain about our attitudes, get out and go figure this shit out yourself. And before you call me out for being a hypocrit (I am one and I know it, you may as well not waste your time telling me), we don't have unlimited time to give you people the answers (if we know said answers at all). I'm going to quote this article again.

Despite this, hackers have a reputation for meeting simple questions with what looks like hostility or arrogance. It sometimes looks like we're reflexively rude to newbies and the ignorant. But this isn't really true.

What we are, unapologetically, is hostile to people who seem to be unwilling to think or to do their own homework before asking questions.

And, to anyone who cares to look, I've made an honest effort to be patient and not to snap at anyone. In this one case, if you look, I answered your original question (how to make a Y/N prompt in the text). Your next question was to ask how to make the brown scroll-thingy work properly. I gave it to you. Repeatedly. I'll repeat again, we take time out of our day to answer these questions of yours, and if you're going to act like you're the one being inconvenienced, well, [deleted]. Everything after that was you complaining about how my code wasn't giving a result. As Sirius went and pointed out, this was hardly my fault (or anyone else's for that matter). Yes, Arch should have it in his tutorial. But, for the fouth (fifth?) time, WE ARE NOT PERFECT. We don't have more than 24 hours (less, since nearly everyone that isn't me me has a social life) to spend writing tutorials and answering questions. If we miss something, for the love of god either figure it out for yourself or just politely request that it be added. Blame should never enter into the equation.

Even if I could, how would I know which code is which unless someone told me.

I'd let that slip if Nintenlord didn't go out of his way to include a manual that DOES tell you what almost all the codes do. The only ones that you shouldn't either know off the top of your head or that you can't just look up are the ASM commands. Which is, most likely, going to be the answer to your problem. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the code MOVE does, does it? Literally everything that is done in the actual game (and you seriously cannot deny that the game never uses yes/no prompts, or the brown text boxes or I will slap you over the internet) can be found by disassembling and cross-referencing the actual chapter. When you come across a code you don't know, go try it out on your own. Experiment! Don't expect us to have all the answers.

EDIT: And to any mod that might happen to read this because it got reported, I'm going to ask that you read the thread (or at least the last five pages) before you warn me.

Edited by CT075

I don't understand what you're trying to gain from continuing this. I already acknowledged that it's my fault. What more do you want? I understand that you don't have hours upon hours of free time, but would it take more than 5 minutes to type ASM0x42 0x83181 in an edited post and tell us what it does, especially if it prevents more incidents like this? And you should care how long i've been doing this. You're pointlessly chewing out a noob who's been doing this a few weeks just because you feel like it. You made a post that only says the same thing that's already been said when I first apologized all those pages ago. Get over yourself already, the argument was done pages ago.

...Whatever. Don't run around calling us arrogant assholes (we are, but that's a different matter). Because seriously, this entire thing could have been avoided had you learned how copypaste works.

Oh? You're just a noob? Sorry, that doesn't cut any ice here. Noobs don't get answers, they get laughed at. Prove that you're not a noob, and you'll get the respect you seem to expect. (Respect that, I might add, I actually gave to you until recently.)

I'm done. You can solve your own problems. I wouldn't bother even typing this out, except that I know that I don't, someone else is going to come by and repeat this entire fiasco, and I'm gonna get warned, etc. etc.

And I never said it had to be updated TODAY, but I don't expect to get my ass chewed out just for pointing out a simple mistake in the tutorial just because you and Arch are friends.

EDIT: The only person being an arrogant asshole is you. You're the only one typing out page-long posts shouting F-this and F-that for no reason. I have not used one profane word against you, in fact I barely used the lesser harsh words, if at all.

EDIT2: BTW, the whole thing would have been avoided by doing what Sirius did and pointing out that I had O instead of 0. Problem solved.

Edited by Scott Pilgrim

Why do you think I feel stupid about the whole thing? Although in my defense, you only actually pointed out the O 0 thing once, but that should have been enough were I paying more attention, which, for the final time, means it was my fault all along, as has been pointed out by others several times.

If you don't want the mods flocking to you, then you should really stop blowing up like that, regardless of how you feel about any situation or person. and I do understand that sometimes it can get annoying to have to repeat the same things over and over again, especially when like you said, it's not like you're getting paid to do any of it, but sometimes that's the price of having this knowledge in the first place. I just hope you don't act like that IRL, because that could cause some serious problems blowing up at the wrong person. And I like you, I wouldn't still be trying to be a friend if I didn't. So let's just put this whole thing behind us, alright?

yeah sure fine

You really don't know me at all. IRL, I'm a fourteen-year-old that's the exact image of the steriotypical nerd, with an anger management problem, to boot. Hence why I have no social life (well, I do, but it's basically nonexistant since lolsummer and lolcomputer).

Anyway, I'm sorry, I'll be more patient, etc. etc. [insert entire spiel here], let's be friends again. *hands internet flowers*

and for the record, I wouldn't have even noticed the post that started all of this in the first place if shadowofchaos hadn't shown me, so it's really all his fault.

I'm slowly building together a chapter the map is loaded fine and I only have a few things currently running for testing. Whenever I lord this event the game just resets. I know this file is mainly empty I'm just trying to figure out why it restarts right now.

//Made by markyjoe1990 of

Youtube

//Modified by Nintenlord

#define DISABLE_TUTORIALS

#include EAstdlib.event

EventPointerTable

(0x39,Pointers)

org 0x12FCD2C

Pointers:

POIN Turn_events

POIN Character_events

POIN Location_events

POIN Misc_events

POIN BallistaData BallistaData

POIN Bad Bad Bad Bad

POIN Good Good Good Good

POIN Opening_event Ending_event

Bad:

UNIT

Good:

UNIT Rebecca Sniper_F Eliwood Level(5,Ally,False) [10,15] [10,15] [silverBow,Longbow,Vulnerary] [NoAI]

UNIT Empty

Turn_events:

TURN 0x00 Opening_event [01,00] 0x0 0x00

Character_events:

CHAR

Location_events:

LOCA

Misc_events:

CauseGameOverIfLordDies

AFEV

Opening_event:

LOU1 Good

ENUN

ENDA

Ending_event:

//MNCH 0x??

//STAL 1

//_0x1

ENDA

BallistaData:

BLST

MESSAGE Events end at offset currentOffset

//The map for this chapter is at offset: ????????

Edited by Blazing_Soul

Whenever I lord this event the game just resets.

Lord the events?

Good:UNIT Rebecca Sniper_F Eliwood Level(5,Ally,False) [10,15] [10,15] [silverBow,Longbow,Vulnerary] [NoAI]

UNIT Empty

Is [10,15] a valid position on the map to load this unit on? There's not much that can go wrong with this events, though you can try adding OOBB and/or CMOF to the start of opening event.

Well... then, I got nuthin'.

//Made by markyjoe1990 of 

Youtube

Could this be anything? The only other thing I can think of is that you may have accidentally overwritten your map with your events (or overwritten something else vital), but by the looks of it you're still pretty much in the clear.

After trying several different roms it looks like works now. Hopefully I can get through this with no problems now. Thanks for the info I'll make sure to put it to work as soon as I get off. I been trying it on fresh roms and after about 6 tries this stuff finally works. I'll be sure to have backups for this. lol Thanks Nintenlord and Cam

Edited by Blazing_Soul

I've been messing around with all the .txt files, looking at the Ultimate Tutorial, and nothing on how to force a particular unit into chapters using event assembler. Could anyone help with this?

For example, I'm wondering how I can make my main lord be flashing green (as in a required unit) in the battle prep. part of the chapter.