Is Pokemon Black and White worth playing?

JaketheGr3at

No, it's totally horrid.

Between the new EXP system, the Pokemon levels and distribution, AND the fact that I was able to make a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-parody out of the story. . .it's worth playing.

At best you'll have an unique gameplay experience, much better than any PS3/Xbox360 game has to offer.

At worst you'll spent 40 hours playing a very good pokemon game.

If you've enjoyed previous generations of Pokemon, you'll enjoy this one, too. That's all there really is to it. It's also worth noting that they seem to have tried a lot harder with the story this time around.

They're excellent. Whether or not you liked previous generations, they're great. Quite possibly the best generation of them all. You should totally play it.

I felt the same way when the game was first released. All it takes is some time of getting use it. I would suggest getting this game since it offers an actual challenge as opposed to you pwning other trainers once you've reached at a certain point of the game.

Edited by UberLughFTW

I've got 4 badges so far, and I've whited out once. To the 2nd Gym Leader, I believe.

I'm finding it pretty enjoyable so far. New EXP system makes it easier to train up Pokemon from a lower level, useful if you want to suddenly change a Pokemon in your team.

I'm enjoying it anyway, and I was losing interest in the series until now.

Personally I loved it. I liked the new designs on the Pokémon more, it's easy to get experience and on top of that TMs are INFINITE, which is definitely the best change this generation had to offer IMO.

Edited by Dio

TMs are INFINITE, which is definitely the best change this generation had to offer IMO.

I agree with this.

No more that "too awesome to use" bullshit. And it also allows swapping Flash for something useful (like Thunder Wave or something defensive) when not in a cave. Or just getting Dig if stuck inside one.

Also, while HMs are still tricky to remove, they play a much smaller role. And moved boulders stay moved.

Edited by TheEnd

I can't even recall a single place in the main game up to the Elite Four where an HM move is actually required to continue.

There are two times. The first time is cutting the tree in the Dreamyard after beating Gym 1, and the second time is moving a boulder in Dragonspiral Tower.

I can't even recall a single place in the main game up to the Elite Four where an HM move is actually required to continue.

Cut once, to reach the place with the Munnas. Strength in the Victory Road, iirc.

Edited by TheEnd

Dream Lot or whatever its called. You have to use cut to get to wear Team Plasma and the Munna are. Thats it though.

ninja'd.

Anyways, I really liked Black, definitely more than say 3rd or 4th gens. I wasn't a fan of many of the pokemon at first, but now I like almost all of them. Its definitely worth it.

Also strength is actually not required in Victory Road or Dragonspiral tower. They make you get through them faster, but they aren't required.

Edited by Strawman the SawmanShaman

So yeah. Cut is needed once right when you get it and otherwise HMs are never needed. That and Tackle's buff are probably the best things about Black and White for me. Oh, and the hair on the female character.

3rd gen is still my favorite, though, but this was definitely better than 4th. It's hard for to compare it to the first two gens because those just came out too long ago and are too different at this point.

Strength is not needed in Victory Road. It only makes shortcuts there.

Now that you mention it... I suppose that's correct. It's mostly (if not completely) to ease backtracking.

What everone else says. Best in-game since GSC. Makes DPP look like a massive failure. I'm not quite sure how I feel about competitive yet, though.

I don't really get why lots of people don't like the Pokemon, but you'll probably at least get used to them. I find the fact that everything's new really helps the game feel fresh. Anyone else surprised by how little they missed some of the old Pokes? (FINALLY, no more Zubats and Geodudes evey 2 seconds of every cave.)

I don't really get why lots of people don't like the Pokemon, but you'll probably at least get used to them. I find the fact that everything's new really helps the game feel fresh. Anyone else surprised by how little they missed some of the old Pokes? (FINALLY, no more Zubats and Geodudes evey 2 seconds of every cave.)

I actually felt that the pokemon's designs were overall better than the past few generations. I mean, there are some that are like REALLY far out there (like Garbodor or Vanilluxe), but generally I thought they had solid designs, and the WEIRD ones are sort of lovable (I ended up using both of the aforemented examples because let's face it, they're awesome).

I did not, however, like the Legendaries, but that's probably just me.

Also, replacing "Zubat" with "Swoobat" was just a dick move by Gamefreak.

Also, replacing "Zubat" with "Swoobat" was just a dick move by Gamefreak.

Only in the English version. Its Jp name sounds nothing like Zubat.

Plas, they're very different. For one, they're Psychic as opposed to Poison. The're also a LOT less common, slightly easier to flee from, and don't Confuse Ray you all the time. (though their STAB Confusion can confuse)

I'm not saying Zubat is bad, I'm just saying Woobat actually works quite differently. I found it a refreshing change.

• 2 weeks later...