Dear SF Blog, I don't understand people

Paperblade

I have had five games in a row (and counting) where the doctor was killed night 1 (on Epicmafia, night 1 comes before day 1).

In three of these games, it was the vigilante. I was the mafia in none of these games. In the third case, I specifically complained in the pregame about stupid vigs shooting night 1. So naturally, our vig does. On night 2, he shoots the confirmed cop and the mafia wins.

3/5 games were ranked.

I... I don't understand people. I have moved beyond angry and into just... I don't understand.

Edited by Paperblade

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make it 6 in a row

Reminds me of LoL, kinda.

Yeah I got to like 1850 elo in that then quit because of idiots dropped me 50 elo. I think I've decayed down to like 1750 or something

That and Riot is idiotic.

And then I get mafia and my partner decides to not kill the confirmed cop after we get the doctor and then tries to get the confirmed cop lynched.

And then at a 3 person lylo the blue decides it's a good idea to question the cleared cop's reliability. Gets lynched and we lose.

FUCK WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

Edited by Paperblade

And then I get mafia and my partner decides to not kill the confirmed cop after we get the doctor and then tries to get the confirmed cop lynched.

And then at a 3 person lylo the blue decides it's a good idea to question the cleared cop's reliability. Gets lynched and we lose.

FUCK WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

We really need to team up one day.

I have played this game a few times before. I am having difficulty following anything of what you are saying. This is disappointing me, since no one else seems to be expressing befuddlement.

I'll do this in list form.

0. Paperblade and someone else are mafia.

1. Doctor dies.

2. Cop is confirmed, and does not die during the night.

3. Paperblade's partner argues with the cop.

4. Paperblade is all by his lonesome, due to stupid teammate getting lynched.

5. Town wins.

I think that's how it went.

There was also that game where some moron townie decided it was a good idea to accuse everyone and their brother of being mafia. . .and it cost the town the game.

We really need to team up one day.

And form a band the likes of which have never been seen, and they call themselves Tenacious D

Things like these (and all the trolling going on there) are the reason why I quit playing epic mafia just three days after I started.

You forgot to also mentioned getting shot night 1 every time.

But I agree completely with Raymond. I just gave up due in equal parts to the trolling, stupidity, and flaming. I don't really want to play a game where I'll get called a troll, insulted and take 45 minutes to find a serious game. Where I probably still get insulted anyway, and killed night 2.

Yeah I got to like 1850 elo in that then quit because of idiots dropped me 50 elo. I think I've decayed down to like 1750 or something

The trick is to play with set teams. You'll still lose about 50% of the time when you get to your skill level, but at least you'll know the people to bitch at.

Also... 1850 is pretty good. That's way, way beyond ELO Hell.

Whenever I'm doctor in a ranked game I die N1

and in unranked when I'm doctor... I die N1 98% of the time, and when I don't die I'm either culted/masoned/yakked/ALL OF THE ABOVE

always

without fail

Edited by La Reina Leona

tbh ELO Hell can be escaped with effort, practice, and a little luck. 20-30% of your games will be games you cannot carry at all(IE: Your two solo lanes feed and the occassional trolls) but the other 70-80% games can be decided based on your actions as an individual.

I'm still in ranked ELO Hell myself, so I'm not the greatest player(This is actually the first MOBA I've committed heavily into so I didn't have much experience in DoTA/HoN prior to starting and MOBAs were never really too much my cup of tea but I seem to enjoy this one even if I'm not as great as I should be) by all means but when I first started ranked I was very overconfident and depended too much on teammates to know what they're doing and would blame them instead of myself. That dropped me down to about 1000 ELO. After practicing for about a month and applying a couple of things that I learned during that time I ended up going on a 10-game winning streak and I can tell you right now that during these games I have had teammates that fed, games where everyone locked in squishy melee/ranged carries, I even had a game where a vlad on my team died 4 times in mid before turning level 6 and still managed to carry my teams to victory which ended up getting me to about 1253 ELO. As of right now I'm still fluctuating around the 1100-1200 range mainly because of trying different shit, being on a slump, or hell it could just be overconfidence from going on hardcore carry streaks.

And then if this is also testament I was about -25 wins in normal games and now I'm +18 wins(and still climbing, I was +11 a few days ago and I just started playing again after an almost 2 month hiatus). And I climbed mostly through solo queue and playing full premades with at least 2 people that would feed in 90% of the games I played with them and they would do stupid shit like build Manamune+Archangels Taric and Tiamat Nasus,lose lanes to post-nerf Twitch as Zilean, dying 3 times trying to jungle as Tryndamere, etc on a regular basis at one point. But I still managed to carry most games and tbh it is harder to carry two bad players in full premade games even if the other two people on your team are competent players. And yes, the baddies were 30s too.

But anyways, I'm pretty sure the same shit can apply to Mafia to an extent.

(Holy fuck, that's a bigger TL;DR than I expected)

But anyways out of curiosity, what's your ELO at?

I only play epicmafia when I can get others from SF to play with me >_> (usually Kay and eclipse).

I think that's how it went.

I liked the game where it was like

0. Cop killed

1. NL

2. Kay killed

3. I lead a RL on a mafia (this was a total shot in the dark but it was awesome and got my hopes up ;_;)

4. I guess the mafia kill target and doc him

5. Idiot town member who has been scummy this whole time turns out to just be a moron, you win because the OTHER town member outs me as doctor for no reason (seriously, role claiming when it's 2 blue/1 doc/1 mafia?...)

6. lololol eclipse wins =(

And then there was the game where the mafia guessed I was cop after killing the doc N1 because of a comment I make *every time* the doc is killed night 1.

The trick is to play with set teams. You'll still lose about 50% of the time when you get to your skill level, but at least you'll know the people to bitch at.

The only myth about elo hell is that you can get out of it. I actually preferred ~1500 elo games because I could usually carry...

Edited by Paperblade

You said you liked that game, and then you frown? I wanted to punch my partner.

epicmafia is bearable when there's a group of people you know playing with you.

tbh ELO Hell can be escaped with effort, practice, and a little luck. 20-30% of your games will be games you cannot carry at all(IE: Your two solo lanes feed and the occassional trolls) but the other 70-80% games can be decided based on your actions as an individual.

I agree with this, I think that maybe you misinterpreted what I meant. I said, basically, that there is no such thing as ELO Hell at 1850+. If you are struggling when you are that high, look in the mirror. And if you're still winning about half of your games and treading water, guess what, the matchmaking system is probably working as intended for you.

But anyways out of curiosity, what's your ELO at?

I only just got started in Ranked recently (after many many months of Normals), so I'm at ~1250.

I duo queue with a friend of mine, and we do our best to throw the team on our backs and try to squeeze out a win that the team usually doesn't deserve. There is no feasible way to carry a team in a support or tank role, so for the time being it's all about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. I play an AP farmer/defender role (aka Anivia), and he plays an AD mobility/pushing/raging role (aka Twisted Fate or Yi). We'll try to win normally, but if the team is too retarded, I'll button down on defense while he backdoors the shit out of the other team.

So far it's been effective enough that we might just drag ourselves out of this low-1000 shithole sometime before the heat death of the universe.