If you had to choose

Freohr Datia

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather people have?

• Good judgement
    • Their own judgement, not based on everyone else's

Usually when somebody judges something or has their own opinion, someone else gets mad about it. As far as I've experienced, people will usually tell the other that they need to have better judgement. Others get mad when someone's judgement is based off of others' views. They tell them they need to be independent and keep their own judgement.

So if we had to make everyone go by the same type of judgement, which would you rather have? Because everyone seems to say both and I'm like "well you can't have both" so... What would you want, everyone have good judgement, or everyone be original and what they believe in?

The problem I see with good judgement is that everyone's opinion on what's good and what's bad is different. This could be a little biased. Wait so would that mean that option in this poll wouldn't count? I'm thinking to myself right now, so I never thought of this till just now haha.

Well... I guess if you believe there is good and evil, then which would you prefer?

Now back to my own decision making.....................

Ok honestly at the moment I'm half and half. I think "why do we care so much about originality I don't see how it hurts anybody" along with my thoughts on good judgement.......................................................

*shrugs*

I can see what you mean but the two are can't be separated like that, if everybody does have their own opinion/judgement a consensus will be formed on the common points they agree/disagree on, which will then lead to the formation of "good" and "bad" views.

I chose the second one because there has to be some disparity between the different opinions, (I doubt that there is enough different stances on a subject for the entire population,) so the second one will create a consensus like the first one but will be more adaptable to change over time.

Second one because free will is nice.

Really, what is "good judgement?" Everyone kiss and play nice? This is quite a philosophy question not everyone can agree on. Obviously, we agree murder is bad (I hope. >______>). But there's more complex stuff than that. I don't want to bring politics and religion into this so I'll just say taking a cursory glance at those is enough to see that there are varying ideas of "good judgement."

Obviously, we agree murder is bad (I hope. >______>).

But then you get the obligatory person who asks "what if you murdering somebody could stop 2 people getting murdered?"

Thinking for oneself is the much better option since it would be foolish and dangerous to believe in what others say blindly without any critical analysis on the part of the listener (which is pretty much what "trusting" is). It is far safer to believe nothing than it is to wholeheartedly believe whatever one hears.

Good judgement. The second option doesn't really mean anything if said person has poor judgement in the first place...a world where everyone has good judgement is probably the better answer.

Good judgement. The second option doesn't really mean anything if said person has poor judgement in the first place...a world where everyone has good judgement is probably the better answer.

Said good judgement is based on someone's opinions not their own. Kind of like blind sheep. What if said good judgement is discriminating someone because of [insert here ridiculous list of categories for which humans discriminate each other].

Why have everyone think the same way? Things would be super-boring. I prefer whatever judgment you have, as long as you don't go out of your way to step on toes, do undue harm, etc. Diversity is nice, and what's good for one may be a disaster for another.

Said good judgement is based on someone's opinions not their own. Kind of like blind sheep. What if said good judgement is discriminating someone because of [insert here ridiculous list of categories for which humans discriminate each other].

How so? Where does she say that good judgement is based on someone else's opinion? Why assume that just because everyone has good judgement, it must not be their own. Also, how can good judgement be discriminating? I think people are confusing good judgement with bad judgement, or something, because I'm completely lost as to where we're getting these assumptions that everyone is a sheep in the good judgement scenario. huh.gif

How so? Where does she say that good judgement is based on someone else's opinion? Why assume that just because everyone has good judgement, it must not be their own. Also, how can good judgement be discriminating? I think people are confusing good judgement with bad judgement, or something, because I'm completely lost as to where we're getting these assumptions that everyone is a sheep in the good judgement scenario. huh.gif

Because the second option says that judgement based on your opinions alone. While the first one only says good judgement, it would make sense that what she means by good judgement is something commonly seen as good. In this case its fair to say that good judgement could lead to discrimination because if a group of people are commonly seen as evil/weird/whatever, then they'd be discriminated against and the people discriminating would be seen as good by the "common" people.

Edited by Ulki

I don't think I fully understand the question.

Is "good" judgement just the bandwagon that people would join? Who defines that it is good?

Is it personal judgement, except the person only thinks morally?

Not killing a crying baby > killing a crying baby, if this is what you mean by good judgement.

I don't think I fully understand the question.

Is "good" judgement just the bandwagon that people would join? Who defines that it is good?

Is it personal judgement, except the person only thinks morally?

Not killing a crying baby > killing a crying baby, if this is what you mean by good judgement.

Exactly, I think there's a fair line between good and evil. Just because Nazis thought Hitler's judgement and ideas were good, that doesn't mean they were, and I think we can all agree on that. So how exactly does the definition of good judgement turn into following the crowd even when it's wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

My own. I hate being forced to believe things.

Thats why most of the people I consider friends are athiests or not preachers.

You have a good taste. Anyway, a fair and wise king is far better than a bunch of useless old man. The second option is a double-edge but as a chaos neutral character, I will choose it.

My own. I hate being forced to believe things.

Thats why most of the people I consider friends are athiests or not preachers.

The main problem here is that good judgement hasn't really been defined, there are places where it's more black and white than others.