Character and Map questions

Peachy

Hey. I'm working on a hack of Sacred Stones right now, but I'm really unsure what to do.

I have the stats of my characters, including class and items figured out. But how do I put them in the game? And how do I insert pictures (like mugshots)? Nightmare isn't letting me do either (though I don't think its supposed to let me edit that kind of stuff)

Also, I'm working on maps too. I want to use Ch.1 from Blazing Sword as my map. I watched Arch's tutorial on Map inserting, but I don't get how I put the map (its a PNG image) into the Mappy program.

Also, how do I edit sprite palettes?

Thanks so much for your help.

First off with the maps, as far as I know you can't pull them from one game and put them into another. You have to re-make them from scratch using mappy.

As for everything else. Feditor will be needed > http://dl.dropbox.co...Editor%20Adv.7z

And here is Blazer's Ultimate Tutorial that will undoubtedly will help you heaps > http://www.feshrine....timatetutorial/

Edited by Bloodth3rsty

I have the stats of my characters, including class and items figured out. But how do I put them in the game?

Nightmare, use character, class, and item modules, possibly others

And how do I insert pictures (like mugshots)?

FEditor Adv. I would read a tutorial on this or read the documentation included with the program. FEditor Adv is linked to above.

Also, I'm working on maps too. I want to use Ch.1 from Blazing Sword as my map. I watched Arch's tutorial on Map inserting, but I don't get how I put the map (its a PNG image) into the Mappy program.

IIRC his tutorial doesn't cover how to use PNG's to insert maps. First of all, maps that are PNG's MUST use the same tilesets as the actual game. You must then use BwdYeti's FE-Mappy Convert to convert the PNG into a map--you'll need to give it the tileset to use and the map though. I forgot how to use it but it's pretty simple and just requires some renaming and a few clicks so it shouldn't be too hard. The program will export .FMP and .MAR files, if done correctly. You can then follow Arch's tutorial to insert the .MAR (instead of making your own map from scratch, which is what Mappy is typically used for).

You CAN remake maps from scratch using Mappy too, but unless you plan on making major rehauls to them, it's unnecessary and difficult work, IMO. Using the converter should be several times faster, I think.

I have the stats of my characters, including class and items figured out. But how do I put them in the game? And how do I insert pictures (like mugshots)? Nightmare isn't letting me do either (though I don't think its supposed to let me edit that kind of stuff)

Also, how do I edit sprite palettes?

-For stats and such you'll need the Character and Class editors, you'll also need the Chapter Unit Editor for their join chapter to edit what items and level they start at.

-For mugshots use FEditor Adv, you'll need to format it properly as well (there's upwards of 3000 tutorials on how to do this)

-Hex editor, I think. There's tutorials on specifics as well.

I opened my map in Mappy, but I'm getting a completely black version of my map. How do I make it look normal?

If you're talking about after the conversion with BwdYeti's converter, assuming you did it right, all you have to do is load the FMP and then import the tileset (File->Import) that goes with it.

I used BwdYeti's converter, and got the black map. But I can't import the tileset because its a PNG. I got it from Feaw's Tileset Collection.

Where do I put my character's name in Nightmare?

Gogo ultimate tutorial

- Character name – the index for the character name text. Type it into FEditor Adv.

- Character description – same, but for description text.

Use the Character Editor module to find the index, and type that index into FEditor Adv. "Character description" is the "R"-button info you're talking about.

I used BwdYeti's converter, and got the black map. But I can't import the tileset because its a PNG. I got it from Feaw's Tileset Collection

You'll need 1) working tilesets--Feaw's tilesets are NOT, I repeat NOT, for hacking. They aren't hacker friendly and that would also explain why your map didn't work in the first place. You'll also need 2) a special library for loading .PNG's in mappy, OR the ability to open up a PNG in a program like MS Paint and then do File->Save as... to save it as a 24bpp bitmap (which Mappy should be able to load since it's a .BMP file).

Edited by Luffy