Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 25: The Road to Jerdon

Phoenix

"I could be worse, but I could be a lot better too. I've envisioned going back to Jerdon many times, but I never thought people would consider me dead. It's a trickier problem to solve than one would think, because I don't really have any way to prove my identity. I have Derek to vouch for me and some of the nobles I met before may still be alive, but I could easily be declared an imposter and Derek a traitor to the "new regime"," Charlotte said, biting her lip as she said 'new regime'. "Hopefully we won't run into any of his forces...and that no one on our side starts a fight either," she said, thinking with dread at the thought of Reika in the complany of nobles.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning, Jasmine

When Beau approached, Jasmine was lying down facing away in her bedroll and looking over some journal entry. She immediately closed it and put it away when she heard footsteps getting closer. She then got up, brushed her uniform off, and faced Beau.

Jasmine: I assume we'll be leaving soon? (It's a good thing I let Illiam eat and drink as much as he wanted before I hitched him for the night ... though doing it that late left me with just enough sleep to not fall off the saddle.)

Beau simply nodded in reply before turning and walking back to where Raemond was now standing, stretching the stiffness away as best he could. The young teen hefted himself into Lantos' saddle and gave the monk an impatient look. Heaving a sigh, Raemond mounted his horse behind Beau and asked Jasmine, "Are you ready to go?" The Templar's mind wandered to his rations. He still had pleanty in Lantos' saddlebags, so he figured he'd just eat as they rode.

Jasmine

While Beau made his way over to Lantos, Jasmine packed up her journal and bedroll, and put them over Illiam's saddle. She wasn't expecting a battle anytime soon, so she didn't roll it up too tightly, and on the back of the saddle it seemed to take up twice as much space as before.

Jasmine: Ready to go.

"You didn't pay your fees, did you?!" the innkeeper bellowed as the supposed customer got away. "Madeleine! Get her!"

"Get her yourself!" his wife bellowed from the kitchen. She could have hit the escapee with her frying pan; she was a strong woman, with excellent throwing aim, but if her worthless husband wasn't going to deal with it then she damn well wasn't either.

Puffing with irritation, the innkeeper jogged down the stairs, attempting to catch up with the runner.

OOC: Either posting again soon with Kelas, or adding her in to this. Augh the writer's block.

Midori heard yelling from behind her. She stumbled around a chair, then ran into another one. Sheer will kept her on her feet, as she ran out of the common room into daylight. She picked a random direction and ran that way. A rank smell greeted her. She had found. . .the stables?

Tobe had ended up sleeping in the barn, curled up in Susann's stall. He woke early, in time to see Kelas leaving the stables. His stomach protested loudly: there wasn't any food for him in here. He groomed Susann, gave her a pat, and set about to try and find some breakfast.

He hadn't managed to make it to the inn's main building through the persistent, stinging sleet when a disheveled woman stumbled outside. It was far too early to be drunk. "Lady, is you okay?" Tobe called. "Does you need help with sommat?"

Alf woke up from a fitful night sleep. He was hungry but he didn't get breakfast. The food may have been surprisingly better than that of the last inn, but the food still sucked and he wasn't eager to have any more of it.

He promptly packed up and within a few minutes, he was ready to go. He headed downstairs, thinking about plans for the day.

Ought to go have a talk with Reika again. She keeps getting herself nearly killed and her behavior before was...deplorable to say the least. It's getting hard for me to tolerate her and now that she's made enemies with one of our healers, well....she really needs to help me do my job.

Aside from that, I should inquire Charlotte and Derek more about Jerdon and keep my eyes open. Never really guided through here much, if at all. I can't remember too well and it'll be immensely useful to learn everything I can about Jerdon when I get back to guiding other people. People who pay.

Heading near the entrance, he saw Kelas was inquiring Charlotte about something. He decided to stand near and wait until the conversation was over.

OOC: The others woke up earlier and we're leaving very soon, so just assume they're downstairs.

Henry

"I do not believe I fully explained my vision, either. I only see the 'light' in people, their 'aura' if you will. Sometimes magic gives off a light, and my sword shines brightly occasionally, but everything else is merely a frame. No detail, just the outline of the object or the person. That is why I could not read the map, Kamilla," Henry said, looking through her, at her light. "Another thing that goes along with my vision is that when I look at someone's light, I... know what they're feeling, somehow. It is hard to explain, but, for example, I know you are feeling nervous, a bit confused, and now a bit shocked and in disbelief. Jace seemed to be feeling troubled while I was looking at him, and this only began when he noticed the two of us. That is why I was wondering."

Morning Time

Morning came at a reasonable time for Derek, who rose rested for once. He passed off breakfast for the time being, in favor of packing things up and going downstairs to prepare Ann for the journey home.

"Morning, Princess," the paladin said, as he passed Charlotte, who was talking to Kelas. The monarch seemed to be a bit nervous, but that was to be expected, considering the... situation.

All attempts to be productive flew out the window when the inn keeper ran out the door, chasing after... someone. Curious, Derek took a step outside, to see who the owner was chasing.

People. People everywhere. What was once the peaceful exterior of the inn had suddenly become too crowded for Midori's taste. Not all the people were yelling at her. One seemed. . .polite. Was that a question about how she was? She needed to pull it together! Which way did the polite voice come from--there!

"Hi there. Do I know you? Do you know me?"

Kelas merely nodded. She hadn't really thought about Charlotte's predicament, she realized; it was just too far apart from anything she'd known for her to really understand. Her usual approach to anything remotely political was to turn and run in the opposite direction. "Well, I'm not going to let any of ours pick a fight if I can help it," she said finally. "There's enough trying to kill us without people trying to kill each other."

------------------------------------------

"No idea, Lady," Tobe replied. He wondered if he should be inching back a bit-- was the lady drunk, or drugged? Or mad? Mad was more likely, it was awfully early to have gotten drunk, and a bit late to still be drunk from the night before. "Is you lost?" he asked, not sure how to deal with this.

Luc Altair and the Fargo

No threats had presented themselves during the two troopers vigil, not surprising but Luc wasn't about to let that make him complacent. But, there was something else that was a surprise. Beau Raemond and those who pursued him had not returned, save Conrad who Luc did not wish to bother immediately upon his return. So things passed, with Fargo eventually giving in to hunger and entering in search of a meal. Luc wasn't sure what transpired within, but when his subrdinate returned he was complaining of some drunk woman bothering him and everyone. Luc's own entrance into the run-down--were there really no better places in town?--was stable. No men or women indulging themselves on liquor. Though, he would have prefered that has the food was... adequate at best. Still superior to Directus rations at any rate. Luc returned to his watch, letting Fargo go inside for sleep. Hours passed uneventfully, with Fargo returning and Luc settling inside into a creaky but soft bed.

Morning, or what Luc's internal clock told him was morning as things were not all that bright inside his room, arrived and the Captain from Directus awoke. His back was nice and not in pain, so he didn't take long to get his affairs in order before heading downstairs. Fargo naturally having abandoned his post to gorge himself. "Fargo!" Luc shouted. "What are you doing inside?" Luc already knew the answer he would receive.

"Eating."

Luc stiffed a sigh. Frustrating fool. "Finish your bite and get outside."

"Yes Captain." The eternal Private bite off a huge chunk of whatever meat he was fixated on and, with agonizing slowness, chewed and swallowed before leaving out the front door.

Luc let out the frustrated sigh and sat at the same table, turning a lazy glance at the unfinished meal Fargo had been devouring. It barely looked edible, yet was still more presentable then Directus rations. Luc sighed and took out a piece of the blocky white gunk and began to chew on it. He instantly regretted it. But no choice but to soldier on, as he bit again.

Trying to take his mind off the concentrated awful he was eating, the Count of Directus looked around the main floor. Something he should have done already, but Fargo has distracted him yet again. Princess Charlotte was awake, no doubt anxious to keep going to clear up the disaster of her being declared dead, and standing by the door. Kelas now, was conversing with her, possibly trying to reassure her or such Luc was too far away to hear. Esphyr was here as well, not eating just yet, but it was probably just a matter of time. Some people Luc was unfamiliar with were rushing about and out, not the most encouraging of signs to see so early, though a person he was familiar with--Derek also followed them outside. Alferis had descended from whatever room he was in, and now stood close enough to Charlotte and Kelas to overhear any discussion the two had.

"Lost?" she mumbled? "Yeah, I guess you can say I'm lost." The vice on her head eased up a little. A. . .child stared at her? After a morning of headaches and yelling, this was a welcome relief! Her sensible side told her it might not be a wise idea to trust a boy. Her desperate side told her sensible side to shut up.

"Sorry to rush in on you like that. The innkeeper thinks I'm skipping out on him, but the truth is, I don't remember what I'm doing here, and I have no money. You know somewhere I can hide for a bit?"

"Hey Damian... are you still awake?" Aiya asked him, as she entered the room in which he had adjourned for the night. He appeared to have fallen asleep, his chest rising and falling softly with his calm breaths. Striding over to the bed which lay in the corner of the room, Aiya studied Damian's face. There was a tranquil calm spread across his sharp features, capturing the essence of sleep.

'But... what is...?'

There was something odd to his face. A break in that tranquility that Aiya could not quite understand. It was not quite pain, or fear... Aiya could not place the expression mixed in with the innocent peace.

'Could something be troubling him?'

Sitting on the edge of the surprisingly hard mattress, Aiya shook him a little, placing her hands on his shoulders.

"Damian. Wake up, Damian."

"Urgh... hrmm... Aiya...?" Damian groaned as he awoke, stretching his arms out above his head, and blinking his eyes groggily.

"Are you alright, Damian? You looked... troubled." Aiya asked, worry creeping quite audibly into her voice.

Damian pondered her words for a second. He felt fine, if not for an odd sensation near his temples, but that was nothing alarming, and had become increasingly common as of late.

"I think I'm alright. Nothing seems to be wrong." Damian replied reassuringly, ruffling Aiya's hair with his left hand and giving her an encouraging smile.

"Well, so long as you're okay..." Aiya said with a relieved sigh, leaning down to his level and placing a light kiss on his lips. Pulling away slowly, her face flushed, Aiya moved back to a sitting position.

"Now whatever was that for, Captain?" Damian asked with a smirk, gently stroking her side as he spoke.

"Well, we're engaged now, aren't we?" Aiya responded, fingering the ring on her finger nervously, still not used to the sensation of it's presence. "So it's only natural to do things like that, isn't it?"

Simply smiling as Aiya spoke, fidgeting with her hands, her eyes darting with nerves, Damian moved his hand from her lean stomach to her soft face, cupping her cheek.

"You're cute when you're nervous, y'know that?"

Flushing brightly once again, Aiya covered her face with her hands, resting one of them on Damian's much more rough, and larger hand.

"W-what are y-you t-talking about..." I- I'm n-not..."

Taking advantage of her confusion and open-mouthed stuttering, Damian pulled her down to his level, and captured her lips in a second kiss.

Morning. Shining sun, chirping birds, the peaceful quiet of night replaced with the tranquil commotion of the planet's awakening.

'And no hangover this time~'

That was the part of this lovely morning that gave Aiya cause for celebration, the drink of the night before last having left her in far from stable condition for the day. Involuntarily pulling the source of warmth in the bed towards her, she cradled Damian's arm against her chest.

"Oi... Damian. It's time to wake up." She said to the sleeping lancer, her voice nearly a song in it's happy demeanor. As the man stirred, his usual mantra of a light-hearted 'Good morning.' accompanied by some sort of light perverted touch or another, the thought of several previous examples setting Aiya's cheeks scarlet for a second, was replaced with a near instantaneous pained groan, as Damian clutched his head against the pillows.

"Urgh... what the hell is that?" He managed to force out of his tightly grit teeth, the jackhammering sensation assailing his head far from welcome.

"Damian, are you alright? Were you drinking last night?" Aiya asked, the concern not truly dwelling in her mind, a hangover was a common thing, and after yesterday, she was not ready to feel all that sympathetic over one just yet.

"Nngh! Not a drop." Damian replied, his breathing laboured as his head pounded.

Surprised by his answer, Aiya's dismissive view towards the headache faltered, and she sat up in an instant, unworried about the sudden exposure of her upper body.

"Do you need any medicine? Do you want me to get a healer?" Aiya asked frantically.

"Agh... just... just give it a minute..." Damian replied, not sure what good a traditional healing might do in this peculiar case.

OOC: Still before TS.

"I presume you wrapped up your business with Raemond and Beau?" the general inquired politely. "Yes," Heinz replied. "You had something to ask me?"

Conrad nodded. "When the Ivanko Mercenaries appeared to take away Isotov and Irina, an armless stranger appeared to ask for aid in combating the demons. He said that you would know who he was," concluding his statement.

Heinz frowned. "Can't say I remember much of him, actually. He was waiting around outside while Ixion and Ivanko talked to Isotov and Irina about going to Zaftra. At some point he got bored, and started throwing knives at Victor and the inn door. It seemed like he enjoyed the fight between Ivanko and Isotov and Irina as well, cheered a bunch," shrugging his shoulders.

"The three of them fought? Please explain this," the general requested. Was he not around during this? the thief wondered. "Sure. Ivanko offered to allow Irina to stay with the group if she could beat him. Neither she nor Isotov could. I believe Ivanko was trying to prove that she needed to be stronger to determine her own path, and going to Zaftra to fight would be the best way of doing so," Heinz said.

Zaftran politics at their best. "..I see. Did anything else of note occur at the time? Anything else about the stranger?" Nosy general, eh. More observant than I thought. "Well, Isotov was kicked out of the inn when Ivanko beat him. Victor almost ate him and a few other people who tried to help before Ivanko threw his tomahawk. The demon Miranda tricked Morgan into thinking the real Isotov would be staying behind. The man is possibly a spy for some outside group, although I suppose they oppose the demons. Judging from his actions, he's less than sane," Heinz commented wryly.

The mercenary blinked as a memory came back to him. "When he attacked Helenos, he was there as well, standing nearby Jace. Probably been following the group since then, I would guess. Is that all?"

"It is. Thank you for your time, Heinz. We should be getting back now, it's getting late." With that, General Jackson rode back to the inn, with the thief following on Ralf.

Edited by the_whistler

Charlotte

"I wholeheartedly agree, our enemy should primarily be demons, not other people. But some people just can't seem to accept peace for whatever reason, so...there always seems to be more fighting," Charlotte said to Kelas somewhat sadly.

Tristan

Tristan walked out to the stables as was his normal routine. There he saw Tobe talking with an unfamiliar woman. "Hullo Tobe," he greeted the boy cheerfully, not paying much attention to the lady as he walked towards Bellerophon.

CHASE! before you gogo

Hot it was hot... cold now it was cold. So cold, and wet and hard. "ughhhhhhh!" the teen archer grunted as he slowly woke up and blinked. Where was he? Looked like... a hallway? Wasn't he in a room? Where were they anyway? He remembered, that fight... that was probably the hot, right? The cold... uhh, well a glance out the window showed it foggy, and... rainy. Ok that was probably where both of those came from. And hard well, he was on the floor. Ughh, wait! All the pain and uncomfortableness was from nice body-type things, not from his head! His hangover was gone! "Woohoo!" he shouted and banged his hand into the top of the window. "Agh!" he winced as he carrased his injured hand. Ugh, even when it was gone it was still making him miserable. Well, hey, it was gone! Who cared! Now that he was awake it was time to go and... actually this just looped back around to what were they doing. Well, as long as things weren't all hot and booming and stuff it should be fine.

Chase rushed downstairs like something had gotten into his brain looking for Morgan--or when he couldn't see her and didn't want to go bother her if she wasn't down here, anyone who probably knew where they were going. And it looked like.. Charlotte, since she had her luggage ready it seemed so she probably knew. But, well it looked like Kelas was talking to her and it'd be rude to butt in and... well if they didn't stop soon he'd just ask someone else.

On Speaking Terms:

"Are you sure your information is correct, Doran? I won't have the lives of these Templars killed for nothing," gazing up at the druid. "Althea hasn't returned, sir. With all due respect, she certainly wouldn't have abandoned her mission and her duty. This is to stop the Crimson Weapons for once and for all as well," he spoke strongly.

"Still as passionate as always, Doran. Very well, your request is granted. As many Templars as can be gathered in the time period you listed will be ready to leave, provided all are willing to serve," he cautioned.

Doran smiled. "I wouldn't have it any other way. Quality over quanity, although both are much appreciated," bowing to the administrator of the Augustine branch. "In the name of the Goddess, all shall reap what they sow," he said, reciting the old words. "May the light be preserved in these troubling times," Doran responded.

The druid turned to leave. "Oh, that reminds me," he paused. "Your old friend is in the area. Care to visit?" Doran looked back and shook his head. It was time to leave for new cities.

"I dunno that we need them to accept peace or whatever, I think we mostly just need Reika to stop trying to kill everybody," Kelas replied with a shrug. "I guess on a larger scale it would be useful for people to stop having wars all over the place too, but I don't really see that working out too well."

--------------------------------------------

"Hide?" Tobe stared at the woman for a moment. She didn't look like someone who had done something bad, but then, bad people rarely did, from what he knew of them. She did seem very lost, though, so perhaps he would help her out.

"This way," he said, grabbing the lady's hand and towing her towards the stables. First he headed for Amari's stall, but it appeared that Amari wanted nothing to do with the unfamiliar fully-grown human. Shadow wasn't as good for hiding behind as Amari, but she would do. "In here," Tobe indicated, shoving the stall door open with some effort. "Who's you running from, anyway?" he asked, figuring that if it were anyone bad, he could do to hide as well, and settling in next to Shadow. Shadow only seemed moderately perturbed by the newcomers, and continued to eat her hay.

OOC: I actually have a couple more segments to add to this post, but they are not relevant to anyone nearby, so they can wait.

The headache was not subsiding. If anything, it was growing more aggressive by the moment, Damian clutching his head in agony, light spasms racking his frame.

"This is no good. I can't wait any longer... just hold tight, Damian." Aiya told him, quickly slipping on the light dress that lied abandoned at the bedside mere moments before.

Giving a quick glance to the mirror to ensure nothing was exposed that would endanger her to a public indecency suit, Aiya quickly left the bedroom and moved down the hallway and towards to the main room. Spotting Charlotte and Kelas by the doorway, Aiya approached the duo rather frantically.

"Hey Charlotte. Could you come with me for a minute? I think Damian is hurt."

"Worldwide peace is a difficult endeavor, but it was the dream of my late father, King Frederick, and my late mother, Queen Lucille. Someday I hope to realize the vision they always hoped to acheive," Charlotte said to Kelas before stopping herself, realizing that a small crowd had gathered. "I guess I should save the speeches for later," she said, giving Kelas a half-smile.

Aiya then came down, mentioning something about Damian being hurt. "An odd time to get an injury, but I guess I can have a look," Charlotte said, walking back towards the rooms.

The three travelled quietly, not stopping very often so as to make better time, seeing as Beau wasn't having them rush so much anymore. The steady pace took them acorss a long stretch of open, grassy plains and hills. It seemed like the quiet and the overall sameness of the scenery would remain at least for the remainder of the day. The fog had cleared up and the drizzle had ceaced, but it was still overcast and there was a slight breeze.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After some breakfast, Esphyr wasn't sure what to do with herself. She'd stumbled upon another annoying spell of boredom. (Best thing I can do right now is wait it out. When we get moving again, at least there'll be a change of scenery...) She heaved a sigh as she rested her head in her hands and her elbows on the table she was seated at. (Boring, boring...)

Leading Charlotte back to the room, Aiya opened the door to the sight of Damian now writhing in pain underneath the bedspread, clutching his head with what appeared to be an almost iron grip.

"After he woke up, Damian started clutching his head in pain. He hasn't had any alcohol, so it isn't a hangover... I have no idea what's hurting him."

"Um well if you don't know the cause, I'm not sure I'll be able to figure it out. I haven't actually dealt with that many patients directly. Since he doesn't really seem to be injured in a traditional sense I doubt my healing staff will do any good...let me get Tessa's Restore staff and give that a whirl," she said, exiting the room temporarily and locating the Restore staff among Tessa's things.

She returned with it in hand. "Well...here it goes," she said, whispering a quick prayer to the Goddess and applying the staff to Damian.