Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 25: The Road to Jerdon

Phoenix

"Oh right. I'm Tristan, sorry for not introducing myself earlier, nice to meet you too. Anyway, I think the group could always use an extra lancer, so feel free to come along with us. Maybe you'll meet someone you recognize along the way, or someone will recognize you," he said to her. He decided not to introduce himself as a prince at this time, he figured if she didn't remember everything she wouldn't want to be bombarded with information at the moment.

Edited by -Cynthia-

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scout's Eyes

She wasn't airborne just yet because they had just started off, and Illiam needed to get warmed up before doing any flying or scouting. That didn't stop her from noticing the woman off in the distance during her occasional area scan though. Riding up closer to Raemond and Beau she spoke up.

Jasmine: Hey, we've got company.

Captain's Ears

Viveka had woken up early but stayed in her and Jasmine's room for the time being. She spent this time going through clothes and trying to find something she could use for the cold whether. Coming up short, she decided to just wear a couple of layers. That would make her armor a bit tighter, but she tested the get-up out and was willing to settle for it. That's when she realized she still had Derek's old jacket. It wouldn't look too glamorous on an Elyisimian knight but she wasn't representing Elyisima at the moment either.

While she deliberated on whether or not to use the jacket under the armor instead of the extra layer of clothing, some noise came from downstairs that caught her attention.

Viveka: Someone skipping out on the innkeeper? Couldn't be one of ours, could it?

Echoes:

Heinz put his horse back in the stables when it occurred to the mercenary that he hadn't made good on his promise to Ralf. "Two apples, right," he muttered quietly, flipping open the pocket containing food. None left? I bought three earlier, tapping the stall door thoughtfully. Gave it one, ate another….. Peering over, he retrieved the previously thrown apple and brushed off a few strands of hay, offering the fruit.

Sneaking away, Heinz walked upstairs and found an empty room. Bit bug infested, he noted wryly, shutting the door. Using the saddlebags as a pillow, the thief drifted off to sleep.

The man twitched uneasily, shivering slightly. Blinking open his eyes, Heinz looked out the window and saw grey. Figures it'd be foggy out, sighing as the tap of heavy sleet echoed against the pane. Hearing a voice bellowing downstairs the mercenary glared irritably at the floor. Heinz walked downstairs, right into a conversation regarding peace. Need to wait a few dozen years for that, he noted, before the nomad clarified the topic. Reminds me, I have a few questions to ask, giving an odd glance as the Halton woman made a request. Damian was hurt?

The other archer interrupted with a sensible question for once. Heinz smirked and went upstairs to collect his belongings. Retaking your country isn't be easy.

Conrad:

Waking up the next morning, the armor knight noticed the weather had taken a turn for the worse. The general walked across the hallway, and knocked on Viveka's door.

Viveka

When a knock came to her door, Viveka quickly closed the orange case, but not before throwing everything back into it in one heave, and close it. Then she slid it out of the middle of the room, grabbed the jacket, and put it on a coat rack in the corner. This took all of seven seconds, and then she appeared at the door and opened it.

Viveka: Who-Oh, General. (Funny, I'm not sure why I thought it would be anyone else at the door.)

Conrad:

"Jasmine mentioned earlier that you and her had something of importance to tell regarding Reika. She also expressed a desire to speak with Morgan as well. If you still need to talk to the shaman, now would be best time," he recommended. "The Jerdonians appeared eager to move quickly last night."

Huythen City:

The city bustled as little drifts of smoke puffed into the air, coloring the sky a morose shade of blue. The birds shrieked.

Viv

Viveka: Since I had some time last night, I spoke with Morgan then. Maybe you should come inside before I go any further into this.

She opened the door all the way and stepped aside to let Conrad in before shutting the door and continuing.

Viveka: You remember the attack on Ilyphina, right? Well it hasn't come up in some time, but Reika was behind it. It doesn't matter if she's a crimson weapon wielder. She's still a criminal, and while I don't intend to endanger the mission, I do want to be prepared for the aftermath, and that includes bringing Reika to justice for what she's done. I don't want us to defeat the Lord of Azure Flame and then turn around to find that she's run off and escaped, never to be seen again, or something ridiculous like that.

That was the beginning of her explanation at least.

Viveka: The problem here is that, crimson weapons only seem to function with certain people, and replacing the wielder without losing a potential combatant is a serious problem. We already take enough damage during battles without being down a wielder. She agrees with me that Reika's a problem, and probably more trouble than she's worth, but we don't have a viable way to actually replace her yet. Until then, I can't really do anything. I won't without your explicit permission either, Sir.

That was tough to say to him since she knew there was a chance he might have her drop the entire effort in favor of focusing entirely on the main objective, but she had to let him know that she wasn't going on a quest for vengeance and ignoring her duties.

Viveka: There's nothing right now, but I think we should keep an eye out for ways to replace her, not just for those that died, but for the sake of stability in the group as well. At the very least, if we come up with a means of getting rid of her without hurting ourselves, we could use that as leverage to keep her in line, and even if it didn't work, we could follow through on our threat, replace her, and be done with the matter ... ... ... Morgan said she would consider it, and we left it at that, Sir.

"Friend or foe?" Raemond asked the pegasus knight. (It's not a demon -- I can tell that much. ... I can't sense any demons at all right now. ... I do see someone, though. Looks like a lone rider or something...) Beau let Raemond handle this one. He was metally absent for the moment, anyway, busy silently pondering what might have happened to his estate, servants and family. He still couldn't quite accept the possability of it all being gone. It was just too hard to believe until he saw it with his own eyes.

The Fargo

"Yeah probably not like I keep track of'em," Fargo answered. They had too many damn horses honestly.

And then he screeched as Prince Tristan showed up. "Ah, yes sir, hello to you to sir." How long as he been here? Has he been here oh goddess will Captain flay me for this?

Jasmine

Jasmine: I don't think it's an enemy at least ... (... unless it's a demon, though, that's probably not it. We don't have any crimson weapons with us so they've got no reason to come after us. Our HUMAN enemies generally come in numbers ... so ... that's probably not it either. I guess we're just dealing with a regular old person for a change ...)

"Well, if that's the case, I'm going to talk to this person," Raemond informed before having Lantos speed up a bit. Once they were within talking distance, the monk greeted, "Good evening, miss. I am Raemond, a monk of the Reformist Templars. We are riding southward into Elyisima and were wondering if you had passed any towns directly along our course." The way he spoke to the seemingly nomadic woman was gentle and good-natured.

Beau had only glanced up at first, due to the sudden increase in speed then halting of Lantos, but now that he saw who Raemond was talking to, his curiosity was gripped. (Is she a nomad? She somewhat like Arrin and Kelas...)

She was mildly surprised to be hailed by the riders up ahead-- few in this country were trusting enough to say hello at the moment. Neria rode up, getting a closer look at the travelers: a man and a child, both dressed as religious, and a knight. She doubted their purpose was similar to hers, but so long as they were not hostile to her or others, their purpose did not matter.

"I passed many towns, but not as many intact," she replied in answer to the man's question. "Most likely were not on your way. I came from Ilyphina, so my route and yours differ." She paused. "Are things better to north?" It would be useful to know whether she would be helpful if she continued on her current route, but she also needed to resupply soon.

That wasn't the best news. (Septimus is crumbling, then?) "That is...very unfortunate... We've ridden directly south from a town just within Jerdon's border. Where we have been, things have been fine for the mostpart, but there are demonic presenses there, so caution is advised if that is where you are going," the monk replied. "I have a couple questions," Beau mentioned. Raemond was somewhat surprised that the young lord had spoken up, but he didn't stop him from his own inquiry. "You're a nomad, aren't you, miss? Have you met a woman named Raechel?" the 13-year-old asked.

"I am," Neria replied guardedly, somewhat surprised that the boy had even been unsure. He looked to be of some noble class or other; perhaps he simply hadn't met a nomad before. "Have not met one by that name, though." She paused to see if the boy had other questions. If he meant harm, she would simply leave. Her horse was not up to a great amount of running, but she could see that their mounts were also tired.

"Ah, I see... Then have you heard of..." Beau had to think for a moment, but then remembered the name, "...the Adai tribe?" Raemond was somewhat surprised that Beau knew a specific clan name. He remained quiet, though.

Neria paled slightly. What was this boy talking about? She hadn't heard mention of that name in quite some time... a few years ago there had been that odd traveler, the researcher, asking, but that was about it. Now she gave the same answer as she had given then. "They are gone," she said simply, and turned away, ready to continue north.

"They are not," Beau replied, as the woman began to leave, "Arrin and Kelas are still alive: two of the tribe. Are you saying that the rest are gone?"

General Jackson:

Conrad nodded in approval and listened patiently to his captain's speech.It is good to hear the shaman has no initial objections. " I appreciate your resolve to stay focused on task, Captain. Arrangements will be made to serve proper justice for her crimes, but saving the world may grant Reika a pardon of sorts we cannot repeal, despite the law. The heroes themselves were not the most virtuous of people, yet Harold traipses about with women like a pig rolls in mud," knowing Viveka would understand.

"The Crimson Weapons have not fulfilled their intended purpose yet however, and a more willing host for the daggers is preferable," he admitted. "Permission granted to search for methods of replacement. Don't allow a grudge to influence your thinking," the general cautioned. "Inform me immediately if you should find a possible solution."

Viveka

Viveka: Yes, I understand that she could get all sorts of special treatment ... potentially. (Fortunately ... there's no less than two ways around that little problem.) I'll Keep an eye out for a way to deal with this, and I won't do anything reckless or stupid. Thank you for hearing me out, Sir. I appreciate it.

Neria froze. Impossible. Who was this boy, who were his companions? How had he come up with those particular names? Was he some demon or seer, to see someone's past? In current times, she was less prone to doubting the former.

Impossible. The tents had burned... she'd seen that much before she'd taken one hit too many, and fallen unconscious. If anyone who'd hidden in a tent had ventured outside, they would have been killed... or captured, if the bandits were after that kind of wealth. There were no slaves sold in any countries on the continent, and the trade of indentures was fairly regulated, but one could sell anything in the Shoon Islands, or at least some bandits tried, taking captives from whatever village or camp they hit. These three did not resemble bandits though, nor did they have the unmistakable strangeness she'd seen in the few Islanders she'd met.

"Where did you learn those names," she said at last, flatly. This had to be some sort of trick... the question was, what kind?

"I met Arrin near Bergosas. He introduced me to jis elder sister, Kelas. We parted ways, then met again later. We traveled together for several days. If their group has not moved, they are still in an inn directly north of here; around a day and a half's ride. They are with a large group of warriors," Beau replied. He figured there was no harm in telling the woman about them. She was likely a clanmate, based on her reactions thus far. He didn't feel the need to question her any further, either, and there was no reason to tell her about the Crimson Weapons.

Impossible. "What do you gain from telling me this?" Neria demanded. "They all are dead ten years ago, and would not be this far north if they hadn't! Who are you, and what makes you do this?" It had to be trickery. She couldn't let someone raise her hopes falsely; she couldn't let herself fall much further. At first, after the attack, she'd refused to believe that everyone was gone, and run herself ragged searching before she could accept it. She couldn't do that again.

"I just thought you would like to know. I am Beau Adalgiso Bellmire," he replied, stating his title with a forlorn air, "son of Duke Bellmire and heir to Bellmire Estate..." Looking up again, he continued, "That is where we are going: Bellmire Estate. I intend to get there as soon as I may. ... To claim my inheritence if the news I heard is correct. ... You hadn't heard of my old mentor, Raechel, so I thought maybe you've heard of my friend's clan. I was merely curious. After all, my old mentor had studied nomadic religion and established her own varriant, which both Brother Raemond and I follow. I believe you are familliar with the names Zia, Tani, Orai and Sounyou. May your faith in whichever one you follow provide you with protection in these dark times."

Raemond hadn't expected Beau to speak like this. Moving from one subject to the next as he did and so freely speaking about their faith... (Why do I feel the need to keep it secret? We're of the same order... He really shouldn't just be telling anyone who he is, though...)

OOC: TS because not much is going on

It was a dreary raod through the sleet and fog, but eventually the group arrived in Munktan in the mid-afternoon...or at least it seemed like the time should be mid-afternoon it was rather hard to tell exactly due to the lack of sun.

Turning to the duke of this region, Charlotte asked "Sir Derek, where do you think would be the most prudent location to visit first? Being the rightful administrator of this area, I defer to your judgment regarding the route we should take."

Luc Altair

The ride forward had been in miserable weather. But he and Thunder were used to such things, since so many courses from General Mendozza and Colonel Claus were about environmental training and awareness. Rain and Snow and sleet and sun could be worse enemies than any army.

But more worrying then this foul day was their newest acquisition. Fargo spoke to him earlier, some lancer woman without memories. Too convenient. He hadn't raised any public fuss, but there was a chance she was a spy. In Septimus he didn't worry about such things. Councilman Richtor's spy network was vast, supposedly as vast as Jace's. But this was Jerdon. Councilman Richtor had none. So it would be easy to slip one inside. He would have to rely upon Paul and his own observations to discern any truth. He couldn't and wouldn't bare any accusations without proof, and even if he found some, he would not tip his hand so easily. A spy who didn't know they were uncovered could be used.

CHASE! accident or arsonist?

Chase kept looking back at the direction of the town in worry. Hoping that what he had done wouldn't be uncovered. When things were packing up he had tipped over a candle--well he thought he tipped over some candle. But no one was coming after them, so the place probably hadn't burned down. But there was always so much fire blown out of proportion so he didn't really know what to think.

The Fargo

Grahhhhhh. He did not get conscripted to be forced to deal with this wet miserable sack of crap of an excuse for weather. Why couldn't Charlotte be Princess of a nice tropic country, like that Balca Kingdom that he heard about existing someplace before somewhere.

Drunk this one is definitely arson

Man, everything was like, so bright and so hot. That's when the drunk realized her robe, or was it cloak? was on fire from some candle. She didn't have time to think about it before she tossed the inflamed garment on the wooden floor and took off downstairs. Morning was te best time to get drunk and regal the unregal of tales of adventure, but all of those in that big group were gone! Awww phooey, and everyone here was all sick and annoying and big and dumb and secretly aliens so...

Well, taking one last swig of ale, the drunk set out for home. The smell of death on some of those people-guy-dudes reminded her that she had a job and kids to attend to!

Septimus

This was becoming increasingly stranger. He claimed to know those two, who were dead; he claimed to be a noble; he claimed to know her people's religion, which was generally not spread to townspeople or nobility. Neria turned her horse, began to walk away. "I do not know what sort of magic you are dealt in, but I want none of it," she stated. Passing the trio, she sped up.

Still, she found herself heading north. She told herself it was just for supplies, that she could not possibly have believed any of that... but all the same, she couldn't pin such choice of names on sheer luck, and she doubted a demon would be brazen enough to wear the vestments of a holy order.

Supplies, she told herself. Bandages, food. It was grim, but it was reality.

Munktan

It had been a thoroughly miserable ride. Kelas was used to bad weather, but she was more used to bad warm weather. The coat she'd purchased was holding up, at least, but it didn't keep her head warm, or her hair dry, or... better not to bother thinking about it.

She went into the state most traveling put her into: head ducked, eyes on the road ahead, braced against the wind. She barely noticed when they neared their destination.

Arrin was similarly unhappy. He had a bit of warmth: the cat had perched on his shoulder under his cloak, and acted as sort of a fuzzy heater. The cat had complained for a while, though, before stuffing its head inside his cloak and presumably going to sleep.

He had quickly realized that Beau was absent, and inquired; eventually he'd got an answer. There was no time to worry further, though, as the group moved on, sweeping up a newcomer with it.

Arrin had ridden along with Tessa for the rest of the way, not saying much; it was too miserable out to come up with much good conversation. He longed for indoors, and hot baths and fires and somewhere to sit and read, and all those good things that had gone away as soon as he'd left his teacher's house.

Well, he supposed there were cats, he thought as the cat decided to meow in his ear again.

Edited by Kiryn