Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 25: The Road to Jerdon

Phoenix

Tiria accepted the hand as she climbed quickly onto the pegasus. "Do things like this happen often around your group? I mean... I heard there was a demon around but Raemond said he couldn't fight this one. Like he'd fought them before. Is that true? Also, sorry to be a bother. I will try and get a horse as soon as possible so you don't have to carry me around like this anymore. I had one before but when my group split, the horse went with the other part of the group."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resolution

Once the prince affirmed Charlotte's identity, other party members stepped forward and followed suit. Though the foreigners made little impact, it was enough to make the two disbelieving knights storm off without another word.

"... I apologize for their behavior," Derek said, as they left. "I would imagine almost everyone would react that way if they were deceived into believing the Princess was dead."

"I'll go after them," Brian said, leaving the Dukes' side immediately.

"Thank you, Brian," he said, as the knight left the room. "... Anyways, the guest quarters are in the left wing of the building, and the dining hall is on the first door on the right in the right wing. I have some business to take care of, but if you need me, I will be all the way at the end of the right wing. Other than that, make yourself at home."

With that said, the Duke walked off, dreading the task he would have to complete.

Maids

"<The guest quarters are right over there,>" One of the maids said, gesturing to a hallway to their right. "<Your companions are likely further down, at the main door.>"

Edit: Added Maids.

Edited by Snikitty

Jasmine

Jasmine: Hey, it's no trouble at all, Tiria.

She quickly got them airborne once they were both on Illiam and followed after Lantos and his passengers.

Jasmine: I don't know too much about Raemond to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if he's fought them before, though.

Morgan

"Not sure what deal Heinz would have worked out that would be effective. It seems any deal made would rely on Raemond keeping his word- and one can rarely trust someone at their word. Still there seems to be little we can do it about it now, other than be prepared for an inevitable assault," Morgan said to Conrad rather grimly.

Charlotte

Seeing the two cavaliers storm off gave Charlotte a sinking feeling in her stomach. To come back and be labeled an imposter...I would have never thought it possible. And it's not as if they seem like Jace supporters either. "T-thank you for your help everyone, but I don't think this will be an issue so easily fixed. I think I will retire for the evening and...think up something in the morning," she said, giving everyone a small curtsy before heading upstairs.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Sounds good to me. Hopefully I didn't ruin anything for you guys and if I did I'm sorry," said Alf, turning his face away a little before heading towards the guest quarters. In the halls, he saw Aiya talking with two maids, and headed towards her.

"Hi Aiya," he said simply, hoping he wasn't interrupting anything important.

-------------------------------------

Dirty Thief

Reika had stuck around near the Jedonians throughout their conversation with the knights. Reika felt uncomfortable around the knights and the Jerdonians and as soon as they were done talking, she slinked away past Aiya and Alf to one of the rooms in the guest quarters.

Feh. Dumb knights, not recognizing their own princess. Hmmm...wonder if things are hell here like they are back at home. It probably is, soldiers being giant greedy pigs. Heh, these morons I'm stuck with are decently strong, and since her Royal Snootiness wants to get rid of those idiot Septimian troops, it coincides with my goal of getting rid of soldiers and getting them to mind their own business. I guess.....of course there's dealing with them and that's a chore....bah.

-------------------

Bard

Sadie paid close attention to what the knights had to say and made sure to remember how the conversation went. This was definitely far more interesting than a lot of what she had come across so far and she resolved to give the princess her sympathy and support.

I'm glad I went with this group. I've been learning stuff here I didn't think I would. And now I get a chance to help somebody out. Hopefully she'll accept the help of a meager bard, and hopefully, there's something I can do.

Looking about the room, she noticed the knight with blonde hair nearby, listening intently. She remembered he was the knight with the axe and from what she'd seen of him, he seemed pretty intelligent.

I wonder what he thinks of this whole situation, she thought to herself, deciding to talk to him a little later.

Remembering the lessons in Jerdonian from her training, Aiya attempted to respond, her speech somewhat broken for lack of experience.

<"Thank you help. Err... Thank you for your help. I... not used to talk Jerdonian... been long time.">

Flushing slightly, hoping her language was not... unrecognizable, Aiya turned as she heard Alferis address her.

<"Oh, hi Al- > -Ah, sorry. Hey Alf." Aiya replied, catching the fact that she had still been speaking in Jerdonian halfway through.

"I see you're trying to speak the language. I wouldn't know if it's good or bad but...it sounds ok to me. Anyway are you ok from the last battle? You were hit pretty hard by that dark magic from that crazy ass magician. And the weather here's kind of gloomy, so I was wondering if your mood was ok as well," Alf said a little brightly, chuckling as he realized she was speaking Jerdonian to him initially.

Swift and unconcerned with the panic of animals, Itzal continued on its way, paying no mind to the group of mortals up ahead. They seemed to be getting out of its way, so it made no move against them; it sped past as they fled, appearing to be little more than a formless black mass passing behind them. Within a few minutes it was out of sight again, though the various wild beasts remained terrified even after the threat was long gone.

OOC: Yes it's an anticlimax. Did you expect otherwise.

Mention of her failed attack against the druid did no more than bring back Aiya's sour mood.

"Right, I almost forgot, there's another one." Aiya said with a groan, her expression descending into a gloomy frown. Starting off towards the direction the maid had given her, which happened to be the direction Alferis had approached from, Aiya began muttering to herself.

"Maybe I should just give it up after all..."

"Huh? Hey wait, Aiya. What's the matter? Did I say something wrong?" Alf asked following after her.

Geez, women. They're so emotional. C'mon, I was just trying to be nice Alf thought sourly to himself.

"It's not you, it's me. I just can't seem to help from screwing up lately." Aiya replied with a sigh, stopping by the door to what she thought was one of the guest rooms.

"I think I might be reaching the end of my abilities... I mean, I don't seem to be getting any better, but we keep facing tougher fights... if this keeps up, how long is it going to be before I need someone watching me all the time so I don't get killed? When will it get to the point where I just become a burden on Damian... on everybody?" Aiya rambled, talking mostly to herself, shivering slightly as she spoke.

Raemond slowed Lantos to a stop as he sensed the demon hurrying away just as quickly as it had come. The horse was quite willing to run at this point, now understanding why his oh so wise rider had had him hurry away. Why, then, was he having him stop? ... Well, it seemed the horrible mass of unnatural was leaving. So the danger was gone and now his hooves and legs could rest. Why did his annoying rider make him run so much?

And so Beau and Raemond dismounted Lantos. "Is it gone?" Beau asked as his boots met the ground again.

"Yes, it seems to be in a hurry to get somewhere else. We should be fine for now," the monk replied, "We should sleep. We may very well need our energy tomorrow -- no matter what awaits us at your home."

Though he didn't say it, Beau appreciated Raemond's phrasing. He was tired. Raemond remained awake while Beau found a thick root to curl up next to -- which wasn't hard considering how dense the foliage was -- and went to sleep. A promlem presented its self to Raemond, though, as he looked up at the thick, twisting tree branches above. (Will they be able to reach us if they went into the air? ... Will they even be able to find us? No, the odds of them finding a break in the canopy is somewhat slim. ... Not impossible, though.)

Luc Altair

Thankfully, things would settle not too long after a burst from Alferis. The two disruptive men turned and left, the only sound leaving them the sound of movement. To be so taken aback with to disrupt words, how effective. Derek's apology came as natural as it should, and the third--Brian--went after his compatriots, and it didn't take Derek himself long to leave away to his own business. Charlotte--still clearly disturbed by the news--also left after offering her thanks to the others who had actually stood for her. Would he have been able to, but he had his own position to think of. One that would now allow him freedoms, that he had held his tongue.

A Fargo

Oh whew, thank the goddess everything didn't end up in another stupid fight. Fargo shrugged and... did nothing because he had nowhere to go yet. Ugh...

"Hey, there's no need to be so down on yourself. We all have a streak of bad luck in battle. I remember when I joined early on, I was going through what you're going through now. But you're never useless Aiya. You're strong and you're beautiful and I...I admire you....anyway. If you want to do better, perhaps we should train together. I never did teach you axe techniques like I promised I should. We can start later I guess? But I want you to remember something Aiya. You'll never a burden and I don't like you thinking that.

"Hey now, there's no need to feel bad," said Alf, patting her shoulder reassuringly.

"Don't worry, you've been a useful member of this group and you've been a good friend to me. If there's anything I can do to make you feel better, let me know. It's not like you to be so down."

"Maybe a bit of exercise will do me some good... I guess I'll take you up on your offer, Alf." Aiya said, pushing off the wall and towards the aeries, where Ulfhrahn's saddlebags were still located. Sparring with no more than the combat dagger she had on her person for defense was not all of the best idea.

As soon as Aiya left, Alf took the opportunity to take an unoccupied room to put his pack in, but not his axe, before following Aiya to the aeries.

Now that I think about it, people in general seem to be in a crappy mood lately. Not surprising given all that's happened really. Hopefully they'll be smart enough not to start infighting because that's the last thing we need right now....I wish there was some way I could cheer everybody up.

Reaching the saddlebags, Aiya began digging through them for her axe. Ulfhrahn, noticing an unhappy air about his rider, nudged her side with his snout affectionately.

"Oi... geez, Ulfy, c;mon, stop." Aiya managed, before being gently knocked onto her back by the unknowingly powerful prodding.

"You are a lot smarter than people think, y'know? I know you'll always have my back Ulfy, thanks." she said, picking herself up and giving the bull a quick embrace, before digging out the Killer axe from her bag, the blood red edge shining menacingly in the dank light of the overcast weather.

Turing to Alferis, she hefted the weapon over her shoulder.

"Alright Alf, I've got my axe."

(Milling around paid off.) Now knowing where the guest chambers were, Esphyr wandered over and claimed one for herself. Deciding what to do next was simple: take a warm bath, change into fresher, dryer, warmer clothes, get something to eat. (After that, maybe I should take a nap or go talk to someone. In fact, that should have been obvious for a while now. I'm so bored all the time because I don't talk to anyone. Sometimes I talk to Alf, but really, branching out more would be good for me. Hmm... Who to talk to? Well, no one yet. Bath time.)

Jasmine

For some reason, the only path Raemond seemed to be able to take was one leading directly into the woods. That left Jasmine and Tiria hovering above them with poor visibility and not a lot of options for finding them.

Jasmine: Just great. They might still be on the run and I'm not sure we can count on them giving us a light signal. Okay I've got an idea. We'll land through that clearing right there, and wait for a few minutes. If they don't give us a signal, I'll use one of my own.

(... Still nothing...) The monk was getting sleepy, but he was reluctant to rest just yet. (Getting into Bellmire Provance was hard enough for Lantos and the pegasus... It certainly was a stark contrast to the open grasslands of Septimus... Who knew terrain could change so drastically so suddenly? Open plains one moment, pushing through thick growth the next... No, it's impossible for them to have gone into the sky. Not since we left Septimus. The canopy is so thick... I didn't look back when I rode away with Beau, so... If they somehow found a breach... No, Jasmine is an Elyisimian and trained in the military. Surely she would have been smarter than to fly.) And so he continued waiting, looking around, hoping to catch sight of a trotting pegasus.

OoC: Careful how you have your characters act without knowledge of the terrain. It's a thick, marshy forest. I'll let Jasmine and Tiria have found some sort of gap in the canopy, but they'll have to reenter where they left cause the trees are just too thick. Getting mounts around on land is the only way to do things -- not that it's easy with all the foliege and hidden patches of marshy ground -- until the giant clearing where Bellmire Estate used to be. Please keep this in mind and if you have any questions about areas I established, please ask me.

"That sounds good to me. I'll follow your lead since I'm new here." Tiria glanced back nervously, but the black shadow she had seen after they had first taken off was long gone. I just hope I don't run into that again.

Finally. Alone.

Midori had found a small guest room, and gladly put her armor out to dry. She grumbled to herself as she realized that she didn't have a spare set of clothes. Maybe these guys could give her some sort of work, so she could buy some necessities. When was dinner? She didn't want to sit around in wet clothes all night!

She gingerly took the cover off the bed. It was dusty, but otherwise serviceable. The bed underneath looked far more comfortable than the bed at the inn. A chair was parked near the window. She took a seat, and waited.

Jasmine

The scout waited, and waited, but neither Beau nor Raemond gave any sign of where they were. She felt it was her turn then. She reached into her saddlebags and pulled out a clear blue gemstone.

Jasmine: Okay we've waited long enough.

She looked up through the opening in the canopy and sighed. She needed to do two things, make sure she tossed up the stone high enough for the bolt to be seen from far away, and also be ready to extinguish the impact point so if it ignited, it couldn't spread. Once she was dismounted, had some water on hand, and had a good view of the area, she tossed the stone straight up into the air as high as she could. A bolt of blue lightning came screaming down through the opening in the trees, not far from her, Tiria, and Illiam.

Illiam had seen the lightning before plenty of times so only flinched due to being wary in general. Like she expected, the bolt scorched the ground, and she quickly came over and doused the embers with some water from her canteen.

Jasmine: I seriously hope they were keeping an eye out. There's no other place around here I can risk doing that.