Lucius, Erk, or Canas?

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better magic user?

Most units you face Lyn's mode will be a class power of 3. Let us assume you only give Lucius lv 1 opponent kills.

5 kills ~ lv 4; 20 exp

4 kills ~ lv 5; 0 exp

6 kills ~ lv 6; 2 exp

8 kills ~ lv 7; 12 exp

9 kills ~ lv 8 2 exp

That's 32 uses of his light tome out of 35.

There are 3 bosses in ch. 7 (lv 5 shaman), ch.7x (lv 7 mercenary), ch.8 (lv 6 knight) that he can kill too. Even if Lucius is 3 levels above there is a minimum of at least 20 additional experience along with the boss bonus of 40 experience. 180 experience points as a nice low limit.

So, after all uses of his light tome, he is now at lv9; 82 exp.

That's not including a little bit more experience from defeating any lv 2 or lv 3 enemies or the soldiers with a class power of 2 which gives slightly more experience. There is even a thief to kill in Ch. 7x that gives a 20 exp. bonus. If you get Lucius's magic up he can kill the two promoted units you face in Lyn's mode.

So yes, it is entirely possible to get him to level 10 on a single lightning tome. Although, it is a lot of work to make sure you get the most usage out of that tome. Even if you are not that committed to giving him every boss kill, it is not a ton of work to get him to or near level 8 by the end of Lyn's mode on just generic units alone.

I think you're trying too hard, because you're asking Lucius to land kill shots and ONLY kill shots. Also, there's the fact that some of the Lyn mode enemies are loldiers who don't give out much experience when killed.

Edited by Metal King Slime

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for favoring Lucius in Lyn mode, the issue is that he only has one Lightning tome to last him until chapter 10...

Indeed. That makes things rather difficult for Lucius to power level in Lyn Mode. Believe me, ive tried. And why is Lucius getting kills only?? Especially boss kills since thats what it would take to get Lucius to level 10 at that point.

I'd only assume giving him the Ch 7 boss kill for a 3-turn.

And Ritcher, stop copying the exact same thing the person who pisted before you said.

Edited by Juliet

Erk has the advantage of fanboyism where people level him up to 11 and gets both the Energy Drop and Angel Robe.

We could just skip the middle man and use Canas.

Sure, Luna may be super heavy but it's good for conserving Flux uses.

I used to think Erk's availability was significant but holy cow did you see what Canas did the other day?

Maybe... We should consider Erk the Abel to Canas' Hardin.

Canas has a monocle, Erk just has some mediocre girl that Inui adores follow him everyday.

Do you really want to support a shitty unit like Erk over Canas? I mean Serra won't follow Canas because his monocle is too manly for her. That and Canas fucks up 19X with his bare hands.

Canas sucks because he's in a Gaiden. Why should we inflate our turncount to recruit him?

Don't make me pull the negative utility card on Lucius.

Besides, by visiting 17X we get the Sleep Staff. And Restore I think. Unless you want to die, be my guest.

Lucius costs 1 turn. Canas makes us go to an entire new chapter. And what's more, he doesn't even help complete it. What a douche, amirite?

Besides, by visiting 17X we get the Sleep Staff. And Restore I think. Unless you want to die, be my guest.

I'd rather die than use Canas.

Sure, Luna may be super heavy but it's good for conserving Flux uses.

That's stupid Flux is buyable Luna isn't

brb using Killer axe to preserve Iron axe uses

Edited by Juliet

*checks game real quick*

I got Lucius up to a level 8 in Lyn mode. I think I saved him for the last kill and made him just kill units all by himself due to his speed and he had about 3-5 uses left with his tome. Though since this was my first time and I didn't check internet how many chapters there were in Lyn's mode I bought another light tome in the very end so he'd have one next chapter when he ran out. I didn't know it'd be a wasted spend due to there being no more chapters with Lyn. =D (Oh wait but I also didn't know they'd replace all the weapons once you found them again lol)

Not Restore, but there is a Lancereaver, Devil Axe, and Short Bow, along with Canas coming with a Secret Book.

You've probably already decided for what you're doing, but I'm gonna vote for Canas on this, though it's mostly because of...

1. He's the only Dark Magic user, and I like using it.

2. Serra and Priscilla/Pent/Nino almost always end up as my main Light and Anima Users.

3. Monocle, though all of them have good personality.

But really, go with who you feel like, and use your judgement from there.

I'd only assume giving him the Ch 7 boss kill for a 3-turn.

And Ritcher, stop copying the exact same thing the person who pisted before you said.

Oh wow, so it's not just me who's noticed? I swear he's done this multiple times in some other topic, maybe it was the FE 10 tier list.

Edited by Morita Kenichi

Lucius is the most awesome in every way. Why would you ever not use the manliest man ever?

Because "manliness" is a vague and overrated factor used to make something seem better than it actually is.

This includes Canas. My argument is superior to Colonel_M's "lol monocle".

Lucius costs 1 turn. Canas makes us go to an entire new chapter. And what's more, he doesn't even help complete it. What a douche, amirite?

It's reasons like this as to why turn counts per chapter should be focused more than turn counts in the game total.

Oh wow, so it's not just me who's noticed? I swear he's done this multiple times in some other topic, maybe it was the FE 10 tier list.

Counter-troll successful.

The main thing that I feel is overlooked about Canas is promoting him early (around level 14-15 I'd say is good, this should happen around the chapter Heath and Rath join I think). His promotion gains are really good (+3 spd and no longer weighed down by Flux, +2 Def and +4 HP). He makes a decent tanky magic user after promotion and of course having more staff users is good. Anima is also the most common enemy magic type if I recall, so getting WTA on that is nice.

Then again though Lucius does get C staves. And he gets to support Raven, while supporting Canas is basically a question of whether or not you want to use Bartre. Though Lucius even with his Raven support still has fail durability.

Edited by A2ZOMG

The main thing that I feel is overlooked about Canas is promoting him early (around level 14-15 I'd say is good, this should happen around the chapter Heath and Rath join I think). His promotion gains are really good (+3 spd and no longer weighed down by Flux, +2 Def and +4 HP). He makes a decent tanky magic user after promotion and of course having more staff users is good. Anima is also the most common enemy magic type if I recall, so getting WTA on that is nice.

Then again though Lucius does get C staves. And he gets to support Raven, while supporting Canas is basically a question of whether or not you want to use Bartre. Though Lucius even with his Raven support still has fail durability.

Bold: Personally, I think WTA over mages and sages is trivial at best.

Anima is also the most common enemy magic type if I recall, so getting WTA on that is nice.

This may be true (I'm not sure), but Luna Shamans/Druids are the most dangerous magic enemies in the game, which Lucius handles much better.

Also, hey there. Haven't seen you around here in a while.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

This may be true (I'm not sure), but Luna Shamans/Druids are the most dangerous magic enemies in the game, which Lucius handles much better.

Also, hey there. Haven't seen you around here in a while.

You don't really want to sent a magic user up against Luna wielders in the first place (how many of those are there anyway?), and Lucuis has a low luck issue here as well (granted, Canas isn't really better here). You want your higher HP and higher evade physical units on those.

Thanks to Luna also, Canas does better against bosses. And there's at least two Anima wielding bosses. Even against Kenneth who is a Bishop though, Canas is still better at fighting because of Luna (note Kenneth has over 20 res, though you're probably better off sending Guy or Raven or some other physical unit on him anyway).

I'm in a Fire Emblem debating mood at any rate. Been playing a lot of this stuff instead of doing homework. =P

Edited by A2ZOMG

You don't really want to sent a magic user up against Luna wielders in the first place (how many of those are there anyway?), and Lucuis has a low luck issue here as well (granted, Canas isn't really better here). You want your higher HP and higher evade physical units on those.

Thanks to Luna also, Canas does better against bosses. And there's at least two Anima wielding bosses. Even against Kenneth who is a Bishop though, Canas is still better at fighting because of Luna (note Kenneth has over 20 res, though you're probably better off sending Guy or Raven or some other physical unit on him anyway).

I'm in a Fire Emblem debating mood at any rate. Been playing a lot of this stuff instead of doing homework. =P

That depends on the situation. If the best idea is to draw in the Luna user rather than run up and kill it outright, Lucius (or Serra) is a good candidate for the job. At least if you're going to mention Anima-wielding enemies, you need to also consider this.

Bosses in general can and should be taken out more easily with other units. Dondon had a list somewhere of how they can virtually all be taken out in one round with some available unit at base level.

Sounds good.

The main thing that I feel is overlooked about Canas is promoting him early (around level 14-15 I'd say is good, this should happen around the chapter Heath and Rath join I think).

That's too high. I had him at 11.09 going into chapter 21, and that's after dropping him on a mountain in chapter 19x and getting like 2 levels' worth of EXP in a map where he generally shouldn't have gotten any. Regardless, a level 11 promotion works just as well, if not better, because 12 AS doubles a lot of enemies starting from the midgame maps.

He makes a decent tanky magic user after promotion and of course having more staff users is good.

E staves is worthless and I remember showing somewhere before that Canas isn't actually a tanky unit. His 11/1 stats are pretty close to 13/1 Erk, and 5% more HP and def growth isn't getting him anywhere special.

Supports in this game were like, so 2 years ago.

That depends on the situation. If the best idea is to draw in the Luna user rather than run up and kill it outright, Lucius (or Serra) is a good candidate for the job. At least if you're going to mention Anima-wielding enemies, you need to also consider this.

This is somewhat true, although I feel like pointing out that the best way to kill a Luna user is to outrange him with a brave weapon. I don't think WTA is really sufficient to protect against the possibility of getting crit, especially in Lucius's case, where he has single digit luk.

Bosses in general can and should be taken out more easily with other units. Dondon had a list somewhere of how they can virtually all be taken out in one round with some available unit at base level.

I had posted that in response to the suggestion of using the triangle attack as a boss killing strategy, but it applies here as well. 11/7 Canas with his 14 mag isn't going to do better than 23 str Harken or 22 str Vaida with their 2x'ing/4x'ing goodness. Before then, Marcus and Isadora can use silver weapons.

Edited by dondon151

You get Erk early on in the game but I feel like he needs to be babied too often. Lucius was good until I got a guiding ring and both Lucius and Canas were level 20. So, I ended up using Canas because I gave him the guiding ring. Canas overall, performed very well against physical attacks and bosses too. Of course come the Fire Dragon...well...Athos finished it before anyone could do anything.

So Canas, yes

Erk, no

Lucius, yes

Pent, no

Athos....

Nino...wtf?

How in the love of god is Erk beating Canas? I can understand Lucius being on top- though it's probably inaccurate for ranked runs, at least- but Erk's got better availability, a superior magic type, better supports, and better stats. (Canas is the most fun to use, however!)