Abysmal Souls: Chapter 2

ReformBlade

A slow darting form moves from the undergrowth, her eyes quiet as she glances over the forms lying in front of her. Eyes trace the carcass of the magnificent dragon that is now deceased and with Obelia's slight narrow gaze across the group, it soon softens as she see's the injury, the suffering and pain inflicted across the group hard enough to not just ignore. She moves with a quiet bow to the body of the dragons as she slowly feels her hand clench, a leaning of Obelia's form across the downed knight. Her hand slips into the pouch by her side, one within her armour that is secreted against her thigh. Slipped within it, her form silent among the group, she slides from within it a bottle that she stares at for a moment. It is clear yet contains one swirling, blue mist, flecks of purple, deep green within its cloud. She glances quietly across it and taps the glass. She remembers hearing from a healer that the mist within is something that accelerates the healing process, based on arcane technique that was studied from Lushire healing as well as growth spells based on Shuthra arcane magic. She uncorks the bottle and is quick to press it to his leg, a slow stroke along Grant's leg and a quiet whisper to just rest a bit as the gas presses, filters into his stump, his injured body and urges him to heal. And above all, Obelia, armour stains of blood dried, kneeling next to the injured man, stayed quiet, the bottle empty. Oh well, she thinks, It's not the worst thing in the world.

Edited by NagafenOfIvalice

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both

Ormis was about to ignore the warning and strike his assailant when Amera's voice came into his ear.

"Don't even try to move. Your neck's a lot more fragile than you'd think."

"H-hey, Amera. What're you... why-" Ormis was at a complete loss for words. As it happened, this girl was right. He could hardly breathe through her hold, and Ormis hadn't heard her speak in such a serious voice before.

Teis would have reacted to the sound of footsteps coming down the corridor, but was too slow to prevent the boy from being caught. He cursed silently, then took out his axe.

"Alright, girl. You can have it your way. If that boy is not free by the time I get there, I'll slice the both of you in half and go about my business unhindered. If you think this is a bluff, I can assure you that I have no special obligation to either this child or you. I believe that the woman inside that room has the answers I seek, and I shall have them. One..." He took a single step, readying his axe. Though his face was set, a small part of him hoped that the girl would be sensible and leave the boy alone. He'd have a bad taste in his mouth if he killed two children who had done nothing to him.

Ormis' eyes widened. He wouldn't have thought that Teis would be so cold-blooded and determined, but there was a deadly serious look in the man's eye. "U-um... c-couldn't we all... just... um..."

He stopped, mostly because Amera's grip was beginning to suffocate him. If the standoff kept up much longer, Teis would only have to kill one of them.

Edited by Camtech075

He's not joking. That look in his eyes... he'll seriously do it. Amera glanced back at the door, glad that it was still open. She quickly tossed Ormis outside, onto the pavement. Running to the door, she shut it, and locked it, as he'd probably try to get back in as soon as possible. If he's smart, he won't start yelling. The entire town guard will come straight to him if he does. If she was going to deal with either of it, she'd rather deal with someone who seemed rather... neutral, than someone she knew was out for revenge. "Like I said, she's sleeping. If you can wait until morning to talk with her, than we can do that. If you persist in wanting to get in there right now, we're going to have to fight..." She was told to keep watch, and she was going to, even if it meant fighting with this intimidating individual.

Edited by seph1212

Ormis

Ormis woke up lying on the pavement outside, and his entire body ached. He also seemed to be having trouble breathing. Dammit... I hope Amera didn't break anything...

After lying there for a few more seconds, he stood up, groaning. He thought he heard something in his back crack, but it might have been his imagination. Ormis groaned, then noticed the door. It was locked when he tried it.

"What the- Dammit! H-hey, let me in!" He fell against the door, still too out of breath to talk in anything above a normal volume, and even that was straining.

Teis

Teis put his axe away with a sigh once the kid was on the floor. He'd probably suffer from aches for most of the week (at worst), but the boy was alive.

"Hm. If you can give me your word that they will still be here two hours after dawn, I shall wait. I have no wish to cause unnecessary harm to a child."

With that, he threw down a few coins onto the desk and took a room key. If he was going to wait until morning, he may as well be comfortable.

"They should still be there. One of them has sprained his ankle, and probably won't be able to move for a while. If they're not there, well, you can take it out on me, I guess." At least he's more mature about this than Ormis would've been. I do kinda feel bad about doing that to him, though... As soon as Teis had left and she'd decided to get her own room, the faint cries of Ormis could be heard at the other side of the door. "Sigh... I can't just leave him there. Alright, maybe I can talk some sense into him." She unlocked the inn door, and quickly pulled him back inside. Grasping his collar, she pulled his face up close to hers, "Listen here, Ormis. Carrion's upstairs in that room, alongside Adrian. And I'm here to make sure people like you don't do something stupid. If you can keep your ass calm for the night, then maybe you can go see her in the morning and see about your petty revenge... In the mean time..." Her tone suddenly changing, as she narrowed her eyes and smiled, "I have an idea of how I can keep my eye on you."

She left the rest of her gold on the counter, enough to pay for a room, and more, before dragging Ormis upstairs with her. She took the room at the end of the hall, pulled him inside, and pushed him onto the bed. The clicking lock of the door was heard, and she giggled, although her normal childish demeanor had disappeared. "I'll just have to sleep in here with you to make sure you don't try anything... and there's only one bed." Her tail swayed, as she walked towards him.

Edited by seph1212

Ormis

"Hey, come on, open the... WHAT THE-?"

Somehow he'd managed to take in enough air for a shout right as Amera yanked him in. He was still too stunned to do anything but listen to her rant, and was powerless to resist as he was pulled upstairs and thrown onto a bed.

"I'll just have to sleep in here with you to make sure you don't try anything... and there's only one bed."

"Er, that's alright, eh, I can, um, sleep on the floor or something, or..." Ormis was beginning to panic. He scrambled out of the bed and backed himself against the door. Locked.

What the hell is with this girl...?

"Pfffhahahaha!" Amera began clutching her stomach, and fell back onto the bed. She had to stifle her laughter, as to not wake up anyone else in the inn. "Wow, you're hilarious. I needed a laugh like that, Ormis." She couldn't believe he thought she was serious. He really didn't know how to deal with women, did he? "Oh well, you can sleep on the floor if you want, but this key," she said, holding up a small, silver key, "is the only way you're getting out of this room~" The key, dangling in her fingers, disappeared seconds later, as she let if fall into her shirt. With another giggle, she rolled over on the bed and stretched out, but left enough room for Ormis in case he got over his unrealistic phobia.

Ormis

Ormis's ears grew even redder when she started laughing. Now that he thought about it, it was a little silly of him to think she was serious, but it never hurt to be safe. He started to panic again when she dropped the key down her shirt, but calmed down a second later as he noticed that the door was wooden.

I guess she didn't notice my sword. Or the fact that I can probably kick down this door with a running start, although it would make a ton of noise.

He didn't want to distrust her, but she was kind of unpredictable. For all he knew, Amera could be in league with Scarlet, and was locking in so he couldn't escape. Or she was being more serious than she let on. His blush grew even fuller.

Am I going mad...?

"You do? And there's me thinking everyone called you priest girl instead. How soon can we move him? It's gettin' late and staying out in the snow's not going to do us any good. There's probably a town somewhere near by. Just say the word when you want to set off. You don't mind lending him your horse, or are your feet tired?"

Lucinda rubbed her temples. Aurelio was asking far too many questions, and she was trying her best to fix the situation, but for this to happen, she needed close to absolute silence. She took a deep breath and started answering them one by one, speaking as calmly as possible, but it was obvious that she was irritated. "First of all, your sarcasm is not appreciated, for I am not in the mood, and I am quite certain that you would not appreciate it if I were to call you 'axe-wielding blonde meathead', so refrain from any other variants, understood? Second, as soon as I am finished with my assessment of the situation and applying the remedy, we can move him. However, the preparation takes time and absolute concentration, which means I need close to absolute silence. Third, I do not mind lending Sir Grant my steed, but I doubt he would go far without a rider."

She dug through her saddlebags and brought out a stack of heavy-looking tomes and rather large black silk sack laced through with gold cord and embroidered along the mouth in yet more gold. The caster set it down in the snow and dug through it, fishing out several glass tubes filled with various powders and fluids, a mortar and pestle, several other glass containers, a variety of herbs and other organic matter, and a multitude of crystals of varying shades and hues. She laid these items across another bolt of silken cloth and scurried to the dead beast with vials and glass container in hand. She pulled her dagger and the remnants of Grant's blade out the dragon's eye sockets. The broadsword was tossed aside, but she cradled the dagger carefully in her hands. She closed her eyes and chanted an incantation in an almost-forgotten language, and soon enough, the blade began to glow an eerie, muddled white color.

Edited by Rathian

"Oooooormiiiiis, come to beeeeeed..." She was a little annoyed that he was being so embarrassed about this, half tempted to push him into the bed again and hold him there. "Don't get any smart ideas about trying to escape. I have these ears for a reason," they twitched as they were mentioned, "and they'll hear if you try and do anything silly. Then I'll chase you down, and I'll really have to keep my hands on you. Don't give me a reason to have to be so... forceful~" She rolled over and stretched again, her eyes still closed. "Either way I'm getting some sleep..." She almost instantly nodded off as she mentioned sleep, breathing ever to slightly.

Ormis

Ormis relaxed once he noticed Amera fall asleep. Why the fuck is that girl such a... ugh. He coughed a little. Now that he thought about it, one of his ribs might be broken. Not too serious for the time being, but it would certainly hinder him later if he didn't get it healed in the next 24 hours. He slumped back, leaning against the door. Beyond his own embarrassment, there were other reasons why he didn't want to sleep on the bed. Firstly, he still didn't trust her not to put another chokehold on him. Secondly, it would look extremely awkward to see a teenager in a bed with what looked like a grown Anri woman were someone to enter the room despite the lock. Finally, as long as he was sleeping on the floor, he could jump up and cut a hole in the door (or kick it down) in a matter of seconds if there was any danger.

Ormis had almost dozed off when he spluttered again, this time spitting out a little blood onto the floor. His chest injury was more serious than it looked.

"Lili Vanderhausen Florentine Machiavelli, you get back here right now, you're not supposed to be out that far from camp!" Yelled a woman to a grey striped cat in the mountains, a man sitting and sighing on the ground next to a small fire in the same area. "I keep telling you, that name is terrible, but you keep insisting on it, sis. It's driving me crazy, just call it Lili and be done with it!"

"Arc, just be quiet about that, okay? I'm absolutely certain she likes her full name being used because, see? She's coming back over to... you? Oh come on!" She was distraught that the cat wandered over to the man sitting there, nuzzling up against his leg and purring. "After I show you proper respect you go and listen to him? Why you.. you ungratefu-" At this point, there was a deafening shriek reverberating through the mountains, the man standing up in an instant, on edge and his sword drawn, the girl quickly moving behind him for cover, grabbing her staff. "W-W-What was t-that?! Arc?" The man smiled ever so slightly, eyeing the massive beast from afar. "It's... a dragon, Aiduen. Why it's out and about here, I have no clue, but it... seems to be after someone. Look, just lay low and it won't find us... I think." The girl's eyes widened, "You think?! You're just guessing, aren't you?! Well I for one don't won't to end up as dragon food, so let's just go!"

"Nah, I wanna watch this, in case it does something even more erratic and come our direction..." He watched the battle, a lone knight versus a dragon, like in those childish stories he used to read. His attempts were valiant, but he got crushed. "What's this? Moths to a flame? Why are they actively engaging a dragon?" He said as two more individuals joined in, one distracting as the other went and helped the knight back on his feet with some magic. He watched the knight again as he ran off right back towards the dragon. The man was almost laughing at the scene despite how incredibly dangerous it was, and how dangerous it could possibly get. "Hooooly... He's... climbing the damn thing?! Haha, what the hell, man!" He was laughing as the knight stuck to the dragon like glue seemingly, even in mid flight and thrashing, when he saw the man stab the thing right in the eye. "Eugh... that's... one way to do it, but good heavens... did he seriously just... Oh my lord, he just took down a dragon virtually by himself, Aiduen, did you see that?!" He left the scene, going back to his sister. "OK, we're heading back to town now, I want to see this guy, alright? Seriously, that guy deserves a friggin drink, alright? So let's just go pack up and douse that fire and go." Doing just that, the trio left for Varthas, making it there in a matter of minutes.

The first things she carved from the dragon were the eyeballs. They went plink plink into the container. Next to go were the individual fangs and claws, those were a little trickier to pull out. Lucinda made sure to keep them in somewhat coherent piles. The choicest scales were pulled before she collected blood in the vials and painstakingly skinned the beast, rolling up the hide for portability. Next, she dug the shining blade straight into the belly of the beast, pulling out the slimy entrails carefully. One wrong move, and acid would spew all over the place. Her blade moved further up its underside, eventually making it to the creature's heart, which she removed with the utmost care. This was placed in a satchel that was attached to her hip.

Finally, she removed the bones, placing the flesh in one pile and the bones in another, save for a femur, which she dragged back with her to where her utensils were and sliced it into pieces with blades of wind. She labeled several empty vials, ground the solid materials separately into fine powders with the mortar and pestle, and poured them into said vials. Lucinda then began to mix them in a container with other substances, changing the colors and consistency, referring back to her books on occasion, and chanting every once in a while until she had the mix that she needed. More vials were examined and toted along with the color-changing mixture and another container.

The mage looked up to the sky, examining the placement of the astrological bodies before drawing an elaborate circle on the spot she deemed to be the most perfect. She then poured the mixture, now a shining powder, onto the template and put the dragon's heart in the middle of it. Another unintelligible chant and several blinding bursts of light later, the circle faded away, and the heart seemed as if it remained unchanged. She then placed the container onto the cold ground and pulverized the heart above it with her hands. Instead of a choppy, unsightly mess, it seemed to be in a liquid state, suspended in midair, falling gently into the holding vessel. Her hands worked quickly, chanting and mixing the various materials from the vials with the now liquid heart. Satisfied, she brought the remnants of the powder and the new mixture over to Grant. She drew a different circle around him, poured the powder, and recited yet another spell. This time, it ignited in a ring of leaping blue flames. She walked through the flames, knelt down next to him, and poured the final concoction onto his stump of a leg, chanting until the flames died and she finally passed out.

TL;DR: The dragon was carved up, shiny stuff happened, and she passed out.

Edited by Rathian

Grant stirred, his mind blurred and pain clouding any real senses he had. He coughed up some blood, an odd sensation overcoming him. His left leg was twitching ever so slightly, involuntarily. For all he could tell, his leg was still there, for he could still feel it there, but with how he was feeling, it all could've been a dream. He drifted in and out of consciousness regularly, moaning lowly and coughing every so often.