Abysmal Souls: Chapter 2

ReformBlade

"Ormis...? What about him? I spared him because he was weak and didn't pose a threat, and I'm not about to kill an innocent child who was brought up terribly. His family, though? Hunted me for days. All because of one little display of 'witchcraft' and he gets to act like I'M the badguy for exacting self defense?! Whatever. If you really wanna talk, Lazarynth is that way, andright now my friend here needs help and I've made him wait far too long... Come on, Adrian, let's move..." She began moving slowly forward with Adrian.

"You don't trust me? Why is that, young Amera? Is it because of my horrid visage? Is it because of who I am as a whole? I've not met someone like you. You, who would distrust an original based solely on race. I do not hate you, child, I do not even have the slightest bit of distaste for you! But I am disappointed that you would fins me, an Original, untrustworthy!" He bowed to Amera. "What does one so young need from me to gain your trust?"

Grant watched them trade blows all over the place, his eyes darting back and forth. It was truly a spectacle to behold, if one could see it which Grant barely could. And then, it stopped. Neither moved.... "Lucretia...?"

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amera was seriously shocked to hear all of this. She knew Ormis was brash, but to act like that when the girl was only trying to defend herself... Well, she couldn't blame him. She probably would have done the same. She had nothing more to say to the witch at the moment, letting her walk away with her injured friend. She resumed her 'conversation' with the wolf, though she'd rather not be speaking to him at all. "Your appearance doesn't scare me in the least. I've never dealt with someone as close to their animal as you, but I have dealt with more... animalistic Anri before." She started walking past him, his last comment unnerving her. "Find the people who took my family and I into slavery when I was young. I can not remember who they were, but I know they were wolf Anri, and while they were probably slaves taking orders, they still showed no hesitation in doing what they did--!" She was yelling at this point, but she stopped herself before she said anything else and stormed off into the town, running past the witch and the boy with her.

-----

Finally moving along with Riya, he almost tripped as the Anri girl rushed past him. "Geez, what's her problem..." Maybe the old wolf said something to her? I don't even know. He simply trudged along with Riya, his ankle actually feeling a bit better, but he figured that was because he wasn't putting as much weight on it anymore.

Carrion payed no attention to the cat girl running by her. If she really wanted to kill them, she could've easily, so Carrion took that as a good sign for the moment. The first thing she looked for was a place for Adrian to stay and rest at, finding an inn upon entering the city made it easy enough. Scrounging for coin, she was actually able to pay for a room for them both, as such, she helped Adrian to his room and let him rest up. "Let's see... Bandages and... Ice... lots of Ice. Oooh if only I knew an ice mage..." she whined. "Or that other kid, man he'd be great right about now... I wonder what happened to him. Oh well, no use fretting now." she saw Amera again, not particularly caring one way or the other, nor was she avoiding her. Her presence... irked Carrion, if only because of the circumstances.

"... So I'm a victim of collective hatred, then? Fair enough, young one..." He said quietly as she ran away in a huff. He too took off, in a different direction. Perhaps he'd meet them again? Who knows...

Edited by SlaveBlade

"Hey, sir on the white steed! Mind just spending the night here? You've been fantastic!" The innkeeper called out to Danyon, probably hoping for more business.

Well, one night can't hurt. "Alright then, thank you! Danyon brought his horse back to the stables and entered the inn once more. He took the key for his room and went upstairs, where he saw the strangest travelling party he had ever seen in his life.

"Oh my Goddess, who the hell are you?"

Aurelio

"Why would any mother want to kill her own flesh and blood...?"

Aurelio was left speechless. It finally made sense. She had been running from her mother, who happened to be a homicidal maniac. How long had she been doing this? Had she been expecting her mother to jump out at her every corner? He'd probably get cut down very quickly by her, but he wasn't going to let Lucretia die at the hands of her own mother.

The two both dived at each other, for what seemed like a final clash. They connected, blood pouring from between them. He wasn't sure who it was coming from, something which worried him.

"Forget the duel! Grant, I'm going in!" he shouted, readying his axe. He was much slower than either of them, but hopefully fatigue would slow Lucretia's mother down enough to even out the fight a little. He stepped forward, not quite sure what to expect.

---------------------------------------------

Ken

He was still traveling, and still incredibly bored. His mind started to wander due to the lack anything remotely interesting. He remembered his childhood, there were a couple of prayers he could never remember. He'd received a good lashing every time he forgot a line - which was pretty frequently. It was an unpleasant experience but he now knew them perfectly.

"Why not just remind them when people forget lines? It'd be much quicker."

In all honesty, he wasn't sure which road he'd taken, but as soon as he found a town, he'd try again.

Amera had run into town, not exactly sure why she'd ran. Honestly, she was upset at herself for blaming the old wolf. He hadn't done a thing, and seemed sincerely kind. Why did I do that? Why did I have to bring that up? I know it was horrible, but it wasn't his fault... She shook her head, wiped her eyes, and sniffled her nose. She didn't want to start crying in the middle of the plaza. Another nail into her upset coffin, she slunk her way into the inn, only to spot the two from before resting in one of the rooms. The door was ajar, and she had caught a glance from the girl inside. It wasn't a very pleasant one, but she felt the urge to talk to the both of them, either way. Popping her head through the door, she poorly put a smile on her face and said "Uh, hello?"

-----

"I still don't think you have to go through all the trouble of doing this for me, but, thanks, Riya." He relaxed back into the bed, trying not to twitch around his ankle at all. "Still, I'm surprised we've made it this far without any real... well, other than this, problems." And as soon as he'd said that, he spotted two fluffy ears poking their way through the slightly open door. "Oh... speak of the devil." A man from outside the room gasped in surprise at the three of them, and Adrian groaned. "Greeeaaaat, more problems."

Edited by seph1212

"We'll need to apply pressure on your ankle, so... Ah, I got it." She grabbed a part of her dress flap and ripped off a long piece of it and began wrapping it around Adrian's foot. "It'll be a little uncomfortable for a bit, but... grin and bear it for a little longer, I'll go get-" Amera popped her head in saying hello. "Ice... Is there something you need so much that you'd barge in? Not like you're interrupting anything anyway... Fine, come in, come in, you're making us all look awkward as it is, woman..." She ushered the girl in and shut the door behind her and turned her whole body to face her, arms folded across her chest. "What?"

"I, uhm..." She sat down in a chair across from the two of them, feeling a bit awkward. "I want to help you. If it's as you say, then Grant's just running on blind ambition, and he shouldn't be doing that. I mean, you don't seem like an evil person..." She said resting her chin on her hands. The boy on the bed seemed to have gotten a sprained ankle, probably from having come down the hill, but that was only a guess. "I'm sorry if you don't believe me; I wouldn't be surprised. I did say I was with Grant when I first showed up, heh heh." She scratched the back of her head, and smiled, sticking tongue out a bit.

-----

"Ow, ow! Yeah, that's gonna sting for a bit..." He couldn't help but glance at her revealed leg as she tore her clothing, quickly looking away to avoid suspicion. Dammit, gotta keep my mind focused on getting some work, not getting some... nevermind. This new girl seemed harmless enough, though, it worried him that she'd worked with Grant for as long as she had. "Alright, Amera. I don't mind you helping, but, the real person you've gotta convince is her." He made a small motion towards Riya, as he grasped at his ankle again, the cloth a bit too tight. He wasn't going to complain, as he knew it was better in the long run.

"You wanna help?" She furrowed her brow at the notion. She could trust Adrian for a number of reasons, but the Anri? "What reason do I have to put any faith in that? For all I know, you're just gonna scamper on back to them and tell em where I am the minute I lose track of you!" The frustration was evident in her voice. She sat down, burying her face in her hands, "If you reeeaally wanna help as you say you do, then go get a bucket and fill it with water and ice, OK?" The witch was almost shaking at this point, the stress of it all starting to wreak its havoc on her.

Elune

Walking was a little bit tough, but it was still possible. She wanted to run to the site of the battle, but she knew that if she did, she would be killed. She couldn't do anything but wait and try to feel better.

Danyon

"Oh, don't mind me. I'm sorry for intruding." Danyon bowed and hastily left the room. Who are they? They don't really seem like normal travellers or a couple, and that girl with the striking red hair... There's something unique about her. The Anri girl too... I'll be talking to them tomorrow, hopefully. He made his way to his own room, placed his light armour and morning clothes by his side and lay onto the bed, hoping he'd get to sleep soon.

Ormis

Ormis had just reached the top of the the hill, ant it was obvious that the witch (as well as Amera) had come this way. He was about to follow when a strong hand grabbed the back of his shirt, yanking him roughly backwards.

Teis

Teis was lucky enough to get a horse from the stables with which to follow the boy. As a result, he just managed to catch up at the peak of the hill. He grabbed the kid's collar, pulling him roughly onto his horse.

"Hey, kid. Don't go running off like that next time, alright? You're lucky to still be alive."

Ormis

Ormis knew who it was by the voice. It was... that guy with the huge axe.

"Easy enough for you to say. My parents were killed by this witch!"

"Hmph. Well, I'm not about to drag you back. I want to meet this girl. From what I have heard, she holds the answers to a great many things... Come, let's ride."

Only a few hours later, they were dismounting at the gates of the town. Both were readying their weapons, though not openly.

Edited by Camtech075

As the snow began to settle, the vision became clearer. The two women stood in an embrace, as if they were hugging. Instead of a hug, however, there was a blade sticking through one's back.

As the sword was pulled out, she fell to the ground, dead. Her eyes were cold and lifeless.

Anastasia's body lay on the ground, blood pouring from her stomach wound where Lucretia had stabbed her. Lucretia, on the other hand, looked at the body of her mother, then to Grant and Aurelio, both of whom had shocked looks on their faces.

It's over... She repeated that phrase in her head as she sunk to the ground. Tears streamed down her face as she looked to her mother's lifeless body. She had done it. She had won.

"Aurelio...Grant...I've done it...I've done it..." She was crying, but not tears of sorrow. These were tears of retribution...tears of revenge. "Grandmother, Aunt Alexandria...everyone...you may rest."

Her revenge complete, Lucretia was unsure of what to do next. She looked to Aurelio, who had shown so much care towards her throughout this ordeal. She pulled him into a tight hug and continued crying.

She didn't realize, of course, that her wounds were worse than she thought, and as she hugged Aurelio tightly, she felt her grip on reality weaken, and then she fainted into the snow.

"Good god.... You just killed your mother...? What-" Lucretia fainted, crying, although she had a smile on her face. "Dammit... We've wasted so much time here. Aurelio! Carry her on your back or something, we seriously need to gun it to Varthas at this point. The Witch has a massive head start, and she's only going to get farther away. Let's move, people!" Grant virtually ran out towards Varthas, his stamina seemingly limitless as he trudged through the snow, step by heavy step.

Elune

The guard Elune had stabbed earlier was now making his way towards the hills. Elune wanted to call out to him, to tell him how dangerous the path was, but it was hopeless. He wouldn't listen to her anyway. Instead, with the guard's help, she got onto her horse. If everyone else started to move, she'd be ready.

"If I really wanted to do that, don't you think I would've done that already? I might not be the smartest, but I can tell the both of you aren't in top form, and I think I can outrun you." She chuckled to herself, not really understanding the stress this girl was under. "And besides, I could probably take the both of you, either way! But, like I said, I wanna help. I'm sure if you really were as evil as you were made out to be, I think you'd've tried to kill me when I mentioned Grant, ha ha!" She was a bit happier now, and she sprung out of the room to get the water and ice as soon as she was asked. I think we're going to get along just fine.

-----

"If I really wanted to do that, don't you think I would've done that already? I might not be the smartest, but I can tell the both of you aren't in top form, and I think I can outrun you."

"Uh..."

"And besides, I could probably take the both of you, either way!

"Uhm, you know you should, probably..." But before Adrian could get anything said, she was gone. She means well, but she's probably going to drive Riya nuts. "Listen, I think we can trust her for now, can't we? She makes a good point." Adrian only wanted to try and calm Riya down, unsure of how to do such. "Besides, I'm sure there's something we can get to make her listen to us if we really can't trust her. Some sort of... magic collar, or something?" He joked, thinking the existence of something like that to be quite ridiculous.

Edited by seph1212

Carrion glared at the girl until she left. "Was she threatening me? Bitch doesn't know who the fuck I am, does she? I didn't get this title by sitting on my ass all day, I'm not some stupid little... ffffFRRRAAAAGH!" She got up and kicked Amera's chair over, then sat down by the wall, holding her head again. She could deal with the being chased, hunted, and possibly killed, but now she was being dragged down by Adrian and she didn't want to lose him. The worry on her face was clear as day, Adrian's words lost on the spazzing mage. How am I going to pull this off? Any second now I'm gonna have to bring this whole place crashing down, aren't I? "Hahaha.. haha.. hahaha..."

"Uh, R-Riya, are you alright?" No, you DOLT, she's not alright. The obvious stress that she was under had finally become apparent to Adrian, as the girl sat against the wall, clutching her head. He turned to get out of bed, standing for at least a second before his sprained ankle caused him to fall over. He didn't care, as he crawled over to Riya, taking her face in his hand. "Riya, look at me, look at me! Everything will be fine, alright?!" He just wanted her to stop freaking out, her manic laughter freaking him out a little bit. "Please! I promise, everything will be fine, alright?!" He was about to start freaking out himself, but he kept his eyes on hers.

-----

Amera barely heard the thud of something hitting the floor as she left the inn, thinking of it as nothing. This was Shuthra, and while she'd only been to Lazarynth once before, she was sure she could find a mage, or something, that could make her some ice. She didn't have much money on her, though. She hoped it was enough.

Seilynda held her breath for the longest time. A battle like this was too heartbreaking to watch, but somehow, she couldn't bear to tear her eyes away. When the two finally separated, her eyes widened in horror. She was no stranger to death, and she was vaguely aware of the circumstances that caused this duel, but death, in itself was a horrible thing, and she might've been able to prevent this death. Instead, she merely stood as a bystander. The older woman lay bleeding in the pure white snow, and a crowd was inching forward to examine the dead body. Guilt tore at her; she wanted to give her a proper burial instead of her remains going to the dogs, but they were already strapped for time. She ran ahead of Aurelio and grabbed Lucinda's arm. "Please, Miss, there's an injured woman, I don't know her name, but she passed out! There's blood everywhere!"

Lucinda looked at the girl tugging at her arm. "Calm down, dear. Where is this woman?"

She pointed over to Aurelio. "Please, hurry!"

The healer didn't need to be told twice. This woman's wounds were even worse than the assassin's. Shiny stuff happened, and the bleeding stopped.

The girl heaved a sigh of relief. "Thank you so much, Miss!" She noticed Elune get on her horse out of the corner of her eye and gulped. "...Oh, shoot. I forgot about Mulberry!"

"Mulberry?"

"My horse. I'll be right back. Go on without me!" She ran off to the stables, saddled him up, and broke into a gallop to reach everyone else.

Edited by Rathian

She almost didn't notice Adrian there until he grabbed her, jarring her from her episode. "W-What? Why are you off the bed, you should b-be resting, Adrian." Exerting much effort, she picked Adrian up and placed him on the bed, her tiny frame barely able to complete the task without her breathing hard. She slid to the side of the bed, kneeling and poking him the chest. "Stay there...... dammit.... Don't..... Make me.... do that..... again!" she was gasping for breath, tired out from everything going on. She wasn't about to fall asleep, but she closed her eyes and laid her head down, calming down considerably, her mind now more focused on keeping Adrian on the bed instead of getting up again.

"Wha--! What're you--!!" She had somehow managed to pick him up and put him back into the bed, almost collapsing afterwards. He fell back into the bed, and she did collapse. Her poke was seen as some sort of a silly gesture, but after what he'd seen, he was still concerned. "I was worried! You were holding your head, mumbling, laughing to yourself... are you really alright?" He poked her head, wondering if she'd respond to that instead of words. "And, I know you want me to stay off of my ankle, but if you do something like that again... I'm here for you just as much as you're here for me, alright?"

-----

Amera had wandered into a quaint looking magic shop, and older looking Anri sitting at the front desk, messing with some fire in the palm of his hand. He seemed bored. "Uhm, excuse me, sir? I need some ice. I can see you know how to use fire, but, d'you think you could switch it up for me, for a bit? Eheheh." She joked a bit, hoping it would alleviate his seemingly bored mood.

"Twelve gold pieces." He spoke monotonously.

"Twelve? A-Alright." She had a small pouch with her, and it contained at least twenty. She took out twelve, and the fire in the man's hand immediately turned into ice, falling against the desk. He grabbed a small container from under the table, and handed it to her. "Many thanks." He continued in the same monotonous tone.

"No, thank you!" She took he container of ice, and rushed back to he inn, not wanting it to melt. Magic ice is just as good as normal ice, right?

Danyon

Danyon couldn't sleep. He wanted a short nap, but it seemed impossible. Maybe a little trip around Lazarynth, or a friendly fight or two at the arena would work for him. He sheathed his sword in case he needed it, and decided a walk would do him good.

He went past the little souvenir shops, with their little trinkets he couldn't care less for. He saw the blacksmiths, somewhere he could visit later, and then he saw the magic shop. Leavnig the shop was one of the people he'd met inside the inn, the Anri girl.

"Why, hello there, my dear."

Edited by JBCWK

"Hi, can't talk, sorry!" She completely ignored the man who had spoken to her, as she had to get the ice in before it melted. Though, he seemed somewhat familiar. Oh, he was outside the room before the witch pulled me inside... Ah! I don't even know their names! I should get to learning them when I get back. "Come back up to the room later, if you really want to talk!" she shouted, before disappearing back into the inn.

Carrion nodded, not wanting to argue so long as he just stayed on the bed. The poke made her smile if he could see it, but she was still breathing hard, though not as exasperated as before. She was relatively calmed down, but she was still worried about the possible outcome of bringing Adrian into this. "I know..." was all she responded with. She was no oracle, but she could feel that she'd need his help later, hell, she wouldn't even be here if it weren't for Adrian anyway.

"Well, as long as you know, that's fine. Just don't expect me to lay in this bed and watch if you have another one of those episodes, alright?" Her general sarcasm and fervor seemed to have died out on her, and he couldn't help but wish that she hadn't picked him up like she had. "Just try to take it easy..." As luck would have it, there waa a knock on the door as soon as he'd said that.

-----

Amera, making sure to knock before entering, was hoping that the two people inside were doing alright.

Aurelio

"Aurelio...Grant...I've done it...I've done it..."

Lucretia had collapsed in his arms, he didn't even have a chance to utter a word. She was exhausted and pretty badly injured. He picked her up in his arms, she needed medical attention. He also collected her swords, she wouldn't want to leave them behind. How long had she been running? Even though it was finally over, having to kill her own mother in self defense must have been incredibly tough on her. It sounded like she'd lost quite a few members of her family to her too.

"Grant, I'm heading back to the inn, I can't leave her in this condition and she's not fit for traveling. Even if she got healed. We know she's heading south, so if you're still chasing her, we'll see you somewhere in Shuthra." he said solemnly. It was amazing how his priorities had shifted over the last few days. First his family, then the witch and now Lucretia. It was funny, he had considered himself a loner before this. He hurried back to the inn. "Priest girl! I'll need you for this!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken

(traveling his brains out)

Edited by Dokutayuu