Ragefest Contest 2: The Sequelening

MarkyJoe1990

Official thread: http://shrineofseals...ad.php?tid=1130

... Because I couldn't think of something else, except the Electric Boogaloo, and even then, Seph1212 had to suggest that.

Anyway.

[spoiler=Story]In the great troll war, Marc was a fierce warrior. He single handedly defeated the evil troll empire and permanantly destroyed it's secret world threatening military weapon, codenamed HITMARC (Hacks Invented To Make Agents Repulsively Cry). After bypassing the weapon's tight security measures and activating it's self destruct sequence, Marc quickly escaped on a helicopter operated by former imperial soldier Hithere1, and watched in the horizon as the island containing the weapon lit up in flames and tainted the sky with dark clouds of smoke.

With it's only means of holding the world hostage nuetralized, the troll empire surrendered and the war ended. Marc retired, and lived a life of semi-leisure with his beloved wife, Reisen Udongein Inaba.

Time passed as did the flames of war. However, unbeknownst to everyone, someone was ready to reignite the fire.

Years later, a bomb was dropped on the FES, decimating thousands of innocent people and sending the country into panic and turmoil. In hopes of recieving aid, Blazer, the president of FES sent a message explaining what happened to his allying country, SoS.

Upon reading the letter, Death, the present of SoS, was distraught. His ally was in danger yet no reports could identify the war planes that launched the attack. However, days later, the SoS pentagon recieved a fax that was apparently sent by the empress of the troll empire, Cedar Nyx. Archibald, general of the SoS military took the letter and, with trembling hands, read it's carefully thought out message.

"LOL. U thought I wuz ded. give me a milion money and mak me a mod or ill kill u"

Archibald paused for a moment and contemplated the order he would give to his leutenant. With the raise of one hand, he ordered that the fax's transmission to be traced.

Meanwhile, on the Emblem brigade islands, Marc was enjoying a cozy summer vacation at the beach. While working on his tan, Marc's butler, BuringPenitentEngine came running out of marc's summer resort mansion with a cordless phone in his hand. "It's from the General!" said BPE. Marc removed his sunglasses and got up off of his lounge chair to answer the call.

"... What do you want."

"Marc. It's me, Archibald. We worked together on a secret mission that ended the troll war."

"... Get to the point, Archy."

"We need your help. The pentagon traced a transmission that was apparently given by the one responsible for the bombing in FES. Cedar Nyx has returned, and only you can stop her."

"Forget it, Arch. I retired years ago. I'm done with this game of hide and seek once and for all."

"Is there really no way to get you to reconsider?"

"Apparently I didn't myself clear the first time" growled Marc.

"... Then I suppose you wouldn't save the world even if I told you your wife's life was on the line?"

"Reisen? What did you do to her!?"

"She's here at the pentagon. If you ever want to feel the fur of her ears again, you'll do as I say."

Marc stood silent. For so long he had promised himself to never go down the path of the killer once again, but the one he loved, the reason for him living was at stake. Defeated and humbled, Marc complied to Arch's wishes and hung up the phone. Then, he got down on his knees and looked at the cloud decorated sky. In a piercing yell, he screamed.

"ARCHIBAAAAAAAAAALD!!!"

Marc's battle was never over. It was just beginning.

This is, as the title suggests, the second ragefest contest that I have held. The rules are a bit different from the first contest. Here are the changes (See the spoiler tag that says "Rules")

The Goal:

- Make a creative one-chapter hack that is both rage-inducingly hard, and funny.

[spoiler=Rules]- Custom events and maps required.

- Do not make your chapter overly reliant on luck. Luck is a factor that should not be used as padding for genuine difficulty, and is a display of lazy/poor design. In other words, it's not creative, or fun.

- Do not make your chapter require mass amounts of guessing. Figuring out how to beat your chapter shouldn't be cryptic. And finding hints should not require me to, for example, step on a random, completely non-suspicious tile to activate it. All this does is prolong gameplay, and does not make the chapter interesting, hard, or funny.

- Arenas are banned

- If your chapter has FE5 styled fog of war OR the vision range is less than 3, you must have an obtainable torch early on in the chapter.

- You may have as many maps as you like.

- The creator can put in at most 2 prompts that tell the player to savestate. These will serve as "checkpoints" to help make the chapter less tedious if the player ends up dying a lot.

- With the exception of the above rule, the chapter must be beatable WITHOUT savestates.

- To confirm that the chapter is beatable without savestates, the chapter must be playtested completely blind by people other than the author.

- You may have as many people help you with your chapter as you want.

[spoiler=Guidelines]- Although trial and error is okay, there's a point where it can get annoying. Try to be fairly lenient on your traps, and remember, make them funny and trollerific. The checkpoint rule helps make these traps less annoying, so time your checkpoints carefully.

- Surprise me and catch me off guard. That's how you get the best reactions. =3

- Try not to be repetitive with how you troll me. Some things get annoying and or tedious quickly.

- Group work is encouraged.

[spoiler=Confirmed Competitors]ShadowOfChaos

Hithere1

24fitz

FELover3

Camtech075

Astra & Seph1212 (Teamed up)

Ezra

Jade Koryion

Ephraim225

healthylunch

MasterOfNobody

Joerachi (Joekitty)

Blazer + Swordsalmon

Misso

Sothe Sage

The deadline is 10/05/2011, so make sure you have everything in check before then. Have people playtest your chapter to make sure it is funny, challenging, trollerific, and as bug-free as you can make it.

Happy hacking.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Wooh, I think I can make it... well, could have, rather. Since I lost all the shit I started my hack with I don't know if I even want to start up another ragefest hack, nevermind if I can... but anyway, what is whole story thing about? and why did I have to get bombed you jerk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes.

That's quite important.

You know I should just submit my shit now and get it over with.

But now that everyone else has an extra month logic says I should use it to improve my own hack. right?

-___-

I hate logic, following it takes forever

Yeah. Actually. I don't even have time for this anymore, so I'm just going to throw in the towel. I had fun making and playing it like 20 times (or however many times I played it) and I think that's what's most important. And if I spent anymore time it'd just detract from my own joy.

*gets ready to PM Markyjoe*

Edited by Luffy

• 4 weeks later...

Two days before the Ragefest begins and I only know for sure that three hacks will be submitted.

Blazer

Hithere1

Ephraim225

These are the only people I know have a submission ready. I MUST know who will have their submission finished by the deadline. PLEASE.

I'm really worried that this contest is going to bomb.

If people keep dropping out I might actually have a small chance of winning this thing.

But it'd still be much better if people could finish this... maybe you should have harassed them more over the past month instead of at the last minute, Markyjoe? >_> XP

I don't like vulturing, but if this is how things are going to go with the Ragefest, I might make a rule starting on Ragefest 3 that requires people to show progress on their hack every two weeks or be kicked out. Of course, that sounds kind of mean to do... So I'm not sure.

People would probably make excuses every other check-up on how they couldn't get any progress-sometimes legit excuses, sometimes not. What would you do? Would you risk kicking people out and not having any entrees? :P Just curious, I'm exceptionally bored right now...