Let's Play: Thera Total War

IGdood

Yeah, money's not a problem. Did I mention all of my provinces are at Low Taxes? But the Britons and the Germans have conquered insane amounts of land. The Brutii are doing really well, now, too. Egypt seems to be doing really well, too, seeing as the most advanced and largest faction reports keep alternating between the two of us...

See, I think I know which units I'd like to claim, but I need names...

Britons should be okay to deal with their morale-breaking units (Headhunters, chariots, etc.). I wouldn't call them a powerhouse faction. Germans....a bit more dangerous since they have berzerkers, night raiders, screaming women, naked fanatics, and their fucking annoying spear warbands which can form phalanxes. The Brutii factions usually do the best of all the Romanf actions, since they usually go the route of taking the tax-wealthy Greek city-states wheras Julii are stuck with their shitty Gaul lands and the Scipii usually go the North African route (which isn't as rich as the Brutii lands). Which faction are you playing as? Julii? Scipii? Egypt's pretty dangerous to fight against since their unit roster is actually pretty good and they've got some nasty anti-armor infantry. Anyways, I'm probably rambling at this point.

Hm, you can maybe think of something Latin-ish.

Infantry: Rewjeonii? Caesar Salad (Sorry, couldn't resist). Stabby Cohort. Aegis Shield Cohort.

Cavalry: Romuli Immortals, Lightning Brusiers, Mighty Glaciers

.......I'm bad with names. The other people are better at this.

Ah, the Man of the Hour...

That reminds me of Prince Paul Spill. I sent out a random unit of light cavalry to kill a couple of catapults. Cue Man of the Hour. The guy seemed decent enough, he was a couple of Command Stars and a governor usually helps. And when the King died...he became the new Faction Heir. I don't know why this happened, but there it is.

Paul Spill tragically died when, while reinforcing some other idiot, the AI charged him into a regiment of pikemen.

Paul Spill, you played English? =)

And yes...the AI is...really bad at this.

Edited by skitarii

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a quick update.

Secundus Caesar, our old faction leader, dies.

kingdoms2011-07-1223-04-00-38.jpg

And Consul Tullius now becomes Tullius Caesar. I'm sure I can develop this young man into a fine emperor.

kingdoms2011-07-1223-04-19-46.jpg

Porto Novo and Fulgora fall in an autoresolve.

kingdoms2011-07-1223-36-26-69.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1223-37-29-24.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1223-54-01-91.jpg

Constructing an Archery Range unlocks an archery unit called the Sagitarii Caesaris, a unit of pure-blooded Romuli. Their stats are only slightly better than regular Sagitarii, but they have much better stamina and morale.

kingdoms2011-07-1300-02-27-41.jpg

Pagans and Christians fighting, no surprise.

kingdoms2011-07-1300-09-50-79.jpg

Alright, I need your help in deciding what I should do now. I'll give you a few choices:

A. Secure the east end of the continent I'm on. This will put me in a war with the Lao Che, whom I should be able to fight off.

B. Move to the middle island right above me. There's more Privateer settlements up there.

C. Move to the eastern island above my Greek city settlements (Sparta, Messene, Troy). I'm not sure what is up there, but we might find new enemies and ner mercenaries to hire.

kingdoms2011-07-1300-10-10-76.jpg

Funny, my favorite musical group went to perform at Malta recently.

Britons should be okay to deal with their morale-breaking units (Headhunters, chariots, etc.). I wouldn't call them a powerhouse faction. Germans....a bit more dangerous since they have berzerkers, night raiders, screaming women, naked fanatics, and their fucking annoying spear warbands which can form phalanxes. The Brutii factions usually do the best of all the Romanf actions, since they usually go the route of taking the tax-wealthy Greek city-states wheras Julii are stuck with their shitty Gaul lands and the Scipii usually go the North African route (which isn't as rich as the Brutii lands). Which faction are you playing as? Julii? Scipii? Egypt's pretty dangerous to fight against since their unit roster is actually pretty good and they've got some nasty anti-armor infantry. Anyways, I'm probably rambling at this point.

It's more the fact that they had France, most of Spain, and of course Britain. The Germans have like Germany over through European Russia, althoguh the Brutii are starting to attack them- and lots of rebellions are starting. Unfortunately, my two armies are in Spain and N. Africa right now. I'm Julii, by the way. Brutii basically have Eastern Europe, with the exception of the northern stuff which they are grabbing now, and Scipii has Turkey and Greece. I've got Northern Italy, France, some of N. Africa and Spain, and the few islands in the western portion of the Mediterranean including most of Sicily. The Egyptians, I dunno, but they've worked their way over as far west as the city of Carthage. Carthago Nova was Carthage's capital until I captured that, and then it was Corduba, but I captured that. I think the Scythians are sitting with their original 4 provinces right now. It won't be long until the Brutii strike them, I presume. Basically, we're down to Egypt, the Roman factions, and the Britons- everyone else is gone or will be gone soon.

Edit: I HATE WAR ELEPHANTS

Edited by Rewjeo

It's more the fact that they had France, most of Spain, and of course Britain. The Germans have like Germany over through European Russia, althoguh the Brutii are starting to attack them- and lots of rebellions are starting. Unfortunately, my two armies are in Spain and N. Africa right now. I'm Julii, by the way. Brutii basically have Eastern Europe, with the exception of the northern stuff which they are grabbing now, and Scipii has Turkey and Greece. I've got Northern Italy, France, some of N. Africa and Spain, and the few islands in the western portion of the Mediterranean including most of Sicily. The Egyptians, I dunno, but they've worked their way over as far west as the city of Carthage. Carthago Nova was Carthage's capital until I captured that, and then it was Corduba, but I captured that. I think the Scythians are sitting with their original 4 provinces right now. It won't be long until the Brutii strike them, I presume. Basically, we're down to Egypt, the Roman factions, and the Britons- everyone else is gone or will be gone soon.

Edit: I HATE WAR ELEPHANTS

Hm, looks like you'll have a Realm Divide....err..I mean Rome Divide of sorts. Time to rebel against the Senate?

Mercenary War Elephants kick major asses, you should hire them whenever you get a chance.

Wouldn't that put me at war against all of the Romans?

The worst part is that they do more damage after you've routed them. Well, at least in a siege. Also, Egypt appears to be buckling under pressure. It had stretched as far as Turkey and Carthage, but it got hit by a huge plague and all of the provinces I could see on my map rebelled. The Scipii are taking advantage of that. Ugh. And I've had to start exterminating provinces to keep them under control. Hopefully I can take out Carthage quickly. Four full stacks should be all they have, right? I mean, I AM on Easy.

I like how this has become a thread to discuss how my RTW playthrough is going. Should I do an LP for my second campaign, or do people think that should be left to skitarii?

Wouldn't that put me at war against all of the Romans?

The worst part is that they do more damage after you've routed them. Well, at least in a siege. Also, Egypt appears to be buckling under pressure. It had stretched as far as Turkey and Carthage, but it got hit by a huge plague and all of the provinces I could see on my map rebelled. The Scipii are taking advantage of that. Ugh. And I've had to start exterminating provinces to keep them under control. Hopefully I can take out Carthage quickly. Four full stacks should be all they have, right? I mean, I AM on Easy.

I like how this has become a thread to discuss how my RTW playthrough is going. Should I do an LP for my second campaign, or do people think that should be left to skitarii?

Yes, but as you keep conquering the Senate is going to decide to screw you anyways.

Yeah, elephants and chariots suck in sieges. And yes, with easy mode on they shouldn't be too hard to get rid of.....

Hahaha, it's more of a side project, I guess. I mean, I don't think I have time to do a LP after this one (I have to start preparing for medical school and research and all that). So go ahead, you can be my successor.

Yes, but as you keep conquering the Senate is going to decide to screw you anyways.

Yeah, I ignore them now. "GO BLOCKADE LONDINIUM'S PORT" "Actually, my fleet is ferrying my armies around the Mediterranean and, well, there's a decent chance I wouldn't make it there anyways." "HOW DARE YOU NOW CAPTURE THIS SETTLEMENT IN THE MIDDLE EAST" "Sorry, I'm capturing Carthage right now." "ARGGGHHHHHH- Y'know what, now that you AREN'T following our orders, we'll give you some spots in the Senate!" By the way, what DO those spots do?

Yeah, elephants and chariots suck in sieges. And yes, with easy mode on they shouldn't be too hard to get rid of.....

But their territories extend FOREVER inland. I thought they'd just be near the coast, but apparently not. I don't get why chariots are so good, either. Didn't cavalry replace chariots? And I'd imagine those bodies would clog them up... Oh, right, they have like 5 HP. Elephants have like 8. aslfhasldfhlasdhfasldfhasl;df. Also, I guess this changed between the demo and the current version of the full game, but my experience with elephants was... bad. They consistently routed before reaching the enemy lines and then, rather than go on a rampage, simply ran the opposite direction.

Hahaha, it's more of a side project, I guess. I mean, I don't think I have time to do a LP after this one (I have to start preparing for medical school and research and all that). So go ahead, you can be my successor.

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

I swear these LPs do more for people's health than being a doctor ever will! Besides, imagine how much good you can do with these in the time it takes for you to become a doctor! Although, honestly, I don't think I'll have time to do more than one, either. I have too much stuff during the school year. What are going into in medicine?

Also, any progress?

Yeah, I ignore them now. "GO BLOCKADE LONDINIUM'S PORT" "Actually, my fleet is ferrying my armies around the Mediterranean and, well, there's a decent chance I wouldn't make it there anyways." "HOW DARE YOU NOW CAPTURE THIS SETTLEMENT IN THE MIDDLE EAST" "Sorry, I'm capturing Carthage right now." "ARGGGHHHHHH- Y'know what, now that you AREN'T following our orders, we'll give you some spots in the Senate!" By the way, what DO those spots do?

Those spots show up as personality traits, and confer bonuses to the character receiving it.

But their territories extend FOREVER inland. I thought they'd just be near the coast, but apparently not. I don't get why chariots are so good, either. Didn't cavalry replace chariots? And I'd imagine those bodies would clog them up... Oh, right, they have like 5 HP. Elephants have like 8. aslfhasldfhlasdhfasldfhasl;df. Also, I guess this changed between the demo and the current version of the full game, but my experience with elephants was... bad. They consistently routed before reaching the enemy lines and then, rather than go on a rampage, simply ran the opposite direction.

Cavalry did replace chariots, but in-game chariots slaughter cavalry. And for elephants....try not to let people shoot them, especially with flaming arrows. It makes them run amok alot. Fatigue also makes them run amok. It's best to position them somewhere behind your lines or maneuver them behind enemy lines. They're not quite tanky as stats suggest they'll be. And if they do run amok, tell the riders to put a nail in the animal.

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

I swear these LPs do more for people's health than being a doctor ever will! Besides, imagine how much good you can do with these in the time it takes for you to become a doctor! Although, honestly, I don't think I'll have time to do more than one, either. I have too much stuff during the school year. What are going into in medicine?

Also, any progress?

The lack of feedback begs to differ, HA!

Well I'm not exactly going to medical school, but I have to study up the tests leading to it as well as put something under my resume...

Edited by skitarii

Do we get to start naming things yet?

Yes Hippoman, people get to start naming things since the beginning of the LP.

The Warriors of Kukulcan offer me a trade agreement. I accept. Nice to see that I don't need to be the one doing all the offering.

kingdoms2011-07-1322-34-51-56.jpg

Since nobody bothered to tell me which island on the minimap that I should go for I decide to head for the middle one in pursuit of the League of Privateers. Since the navy couldn't transport 2 armies in one turn, I let Tullius Caesar go first.

kingdoms2011-07-1322-50-01-89.jpg

First thing to do is go after Castelo de Greystroke, a fortress settlement.

kingdoms2011-07-1322-50-31-27.jpg

Seems like there are plenty of mercenaries on this new island.

Hispanico Bandidos. Basically, a mob of javelineers. Melee stats are shit, but they've got a hefty missile attack that ignores armor.

kingdoms2011-07-1322-58-28-20.jpg

Numari Horsemen, unarmored horse archers whose ranged attack makes them effective against armor. I assume they're using javelins as opposed to bows. Also, free upkeep while garrisoned makes for a good incentive.

kingdoms2011-07-1322-58-42-96.jpg

Numari Warriors, sure the hiring price is pretty expensive, and their stats suck. And they may not charge without orders, which makes for a rather troublesome unit. Still, they only have 80 upkeep, and they're free while garrisoned.

kingdoms2011-07-1322-58-52-53.jpg

Numari Jezails - Now this unit may be useful as a cheap, but damaging gunpowder unit. Reptarii Arcebusarii are better though in every respect.

kingdoms2011-07-1322-59-04-96.jpg

Castele de Greystroke falls to me, and I decide to sack it.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-21-54-22.jpg

Next target, Talaveira.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-22-30-91.jpg

I'm okay with paying up some money for trade rights. Alright, you Hispanics.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-38-43-39.jpg

The Explorers' Guild offers to establish itself in my domain. It confers the bonuses of more trade income as well as a farther movement range for armies on the campaign map.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-40-44-19.jpg

Hm, they're really going at each other now.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-41-22-96.jpg

I see if there's anything to conquer beyond Talaveira. I happen to stumble across a Hispanic province. Time to head in the opposite direction.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-49-55-86.jpg

The Great Market is an upgrade to the Fairground.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-54-03-14.jpg

As I journey to the west to the desert lands, I come across more types of mercenaries. Here they are:

Sahar Boys: Cheap as dirt, more useless than dirt.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-55-03-04.jpg

Tushkan scouts, actually sounds good. Huge charge bonus, but that attack sucks.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-55-20-76.jpg

Sahar Camel Archers - Camels are slower than horses, but they work very well in desert terrain and have combat bonuses against horses. Also, they have 5 attack, which is surprisingly a lot for a cavalry archer unit.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-55-28-06.jpg

Elephant Jezails, basically gunners on elephants, as opposed to the Sumari Elephant Archers I hired. Probably shorter ranged, but waaaay more damaging.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-55-34-04.jpg

And for more epic ridiculousness, Elephant Artillery. Yes. Cannons on a fucking elephant.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-55-43-60.jpg

The privateers around Talaveira finally get pissed off enough to attack the army besieging them. Let's do this.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-58-38-80.jpg

Yes, pirates should be boiled.

kingdoms2011-07-1323-59-35-95.jpg

I've got a double infantry line in front, legionnaires first, I believe. Crossbows can't shoot over the heads of their allies, so they're in the front too. My cavalry archers are placed in the back, as they can arc their shots. My melee cavalry are at the side, ready to flank and rear attack the enemy at a moment's notice. My catapults are in the rear, as they can arc their shots.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-02-42-15.jpg

The catapults let loose with their flaming pots.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-03-45-54.jpg

Your short-ranged arquebusiers are no match for my awesome ranged rocket crossbows, bitch.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-04-10-14.jpg

No, not even Aventuriers (armored crossbowmen) can do better.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-04-24-05.jpg

Their infantry line of cuirassiers is approaching, time to pull out the pila, gents.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-05-01-41.jpg

Their royal bodyguard charges my elephants. I think they forgot that elephants are super effective against cavalry, and despite the 2 HP they get killed quick. Although, I do lose a few elephants.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-05-37-74.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1400-06-22-66.jpg

Rear attack into some spearmen.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-07-29-97.jpg

The cuirassiers actually prove to be an even match against my legionnaires. They have a much higher attack, but my legionnaires have a much higher defense, so it kinda evens out.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-08-25-29.jpg

Here a unit of enemies is seen "Fighting to the death" Basically if an enemy unit routs, but is surrounded and they figure there's no clear way out, they will continue to fight your units to the last man. However, they're a a lot easier to kill at tis point, but can still inflict unnecessary casualties on your unit.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-08-28-16.jpg

A reinforcement army of privateers finally reaches my line, but it's too late for them.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-08-59-03.jpg

My ranged units still have their ammo, and the remainder of the enemy are quickly shot to death.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-10-52-43.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1400-11-12-02.jpg

They rout pretty easily.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-11-36-31.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1400-11-58-48.jpg

I found out that in medieval 2 total war's engine, units only get +1 attack every 3 levels. Their defense doesn't go up, and only morale goes up with each chevron level.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-11-59-73.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1400-12-01-86.jpg

Talaveira falls to us, we occupy it instead of well...doing worse things.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-13-28-11.jpg

The Grand Duchy of Dracule send their warmest greetings.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-29-04-84.jpg

The Lao Che Khanate offer a princess to my faction leader. I accept for the lulz, only to find out later that she's more than 5 years older than him. What. I....I have been screwed over. This be like Roy and Cecilia...or whatever her name was.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-31-18-89.jpg

At least it boosts his popularity, as his wife seems to be a rather admirable person.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-31-56-32.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1400-32-19-03.jpg

The Thieves' Guild Headquarters offers to establish itself in my domain. Only one headquarters of a certain guild type can exist at a time, and they confer faction-wide bonuses. In this case, any of the spies I train inthe future will be of quite a good caliber.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-37-10-60.jpg

A Master's Studio confers better bonuses than a regular Artist's Studio.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-38-11-15.jpg

The Docklands are an upgrade to....uh...what was the last naval merchant building I described?

kingdoms2011-07-1400-38-17-98.jpg

The Naval Drydock is the final naval building I believe, it'll let me produce the War Galley, a significant upgrade over regular Galleys.

kingdoms2011-07-1400-38-25-63.jpg

I receive another mission where one of my generals wants to marry a princess int he royal family. Thing is...they're both from the same family...so does that count as incest?

kingdoms2011-07-1400-41-47-09.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1400-41-54-16.jpg

Edited by skitarii

I'm trying to like Rome TW. I really, sincerely am. But with the AI being how it is (namely doing everything except what I want it to...YES, THAT IS A GATE. WALK THROUGH IT YOU CU- NO! NOT INTO THE PHALANX, YOU IDIOTS...this isn't even getting into Hastati lobbing javelins all the time except for when they might actually be preferable) and with me bleeding money out of my face...well, I managed to do alright on a Julii run for a while but now I seem destined for bankruptcy.

I feel like I'm shaming you.

...Also, 3 wealth. NICE. You're really skirting the edge, far more than I'd dare. Then again, you're proving very successful.

I'm trying to like Rome TW. I really, sincerely am. But with the AI being how it is (namely doing everything except what I want it to...YES, THAT IS A GATE. WALK THROUGH IT YOU CU- NO! NOT INTO THE PHALANX, YOU IDIOTS...this isn't even getting into Hastati lobbing javelins all the time except for when they might actually be preferable) and with me bleeding money out of my face...well, I managed to do alright on a Julii run for a while but now I seem destined for bankruptcy.

Really? You're having money problems? I have an absurd amount of money, but then I AM on Easy and a turtled for a while... also, controlling units can be a problem. Now, I only have problems with cavalry, but it's really problematic. Go intercept the enemy cavalry charge NO NOT THE FRONT END OF THE PHALANX IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. Seriously, I hate enemy phalanxes. They seem to be magnetic. Mine, however, just seem to slow my units down.

HOLY- THOSE ELEPHANTS.

I feel like I'm shaming you.

...Also, 3 wealth. NICE. You're really skirting the edge, far more than I'd dare. Then again, you're proving very successful.

Pathfinding sucks in towns, I agree. Just turn off fire at will and press Alt-Right Click to use secondary weapon....you should do it with cavalry units who wield lances because then they'll switch over to swords and get a better attack speed.....some cavalry don't have the secondary weapon though...

You're not shaming me, plus it's construction that puts things into 3 wealth....all the income goes into army wages and upkeep before being put to construction, so I'm far from going bankrupt....I think. It's just construction costs.

Really? You're having money problems? I have an absurd amount of money, but then I AM on Easy and a turtled for a while... also, controlling units can be a problem. Now, I only have problems with cavalry, but it's really problematic. Go intercept the enemy cavalry charge NO NOT THE FRONT END OF THE PHALANX IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. Seriously, I hate enemy phalanxes. They seem to be magnetic. Mine, however, just seem to slow my units down.

HOLY- THOSE ELEPHANTS.

Deploy phalanx mode only when you're about to engage. Otherwise hold the spears up and they can run with your formation. Yeah, it's more micromanaging but that's what the pause button is for. =)

A pitiful army of Privateers attacks me in a feeble attempt to save themselves.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-30-26-32.jpg

We start off with the elephant artillery firing their cannons, but due to elevation issues their shots were blocked by a hill in front of the privateers. Time to reposition.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-37-10-31.jpg

Meanwhile, the Elephant Jezails snipe away at enemies, but they ended up hitting the Praetoriani Equites due to elevation issues. bummer.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-38-32-45.jpg

Move a little to the left, and perhaps we'll get better results.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-38-45-70.jpg

Yes, ranged units on elephants will keep shooting their weapons whether the elephants are moving, in melee, charging, etc.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-39-08-26.jpg

Now this is a better view.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-40-23-83.jpg

And the balls knock them down like bowling pins.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-40-32-54.jpg

Whoever was still standing after the volleys of arrow, bullets, and cannonballs were greeted by pila.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-40-42-69.jpg

I think I've developed the tactic of putting my legionnaires in front since they are great at being defensive, while the other mercenary units and cavalry will flank.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-40-46-50.jpg

My Praetorian Gunners get charged while shooting. Surprisingly, instead of losing the whole unit, they only lose about half. That's pretty good.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-41-07-93.jpg

They are retreated, and the other Praetoriani move up to cover them.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-41-37-82.jpg

A few horse archers gallop up to shoot at my elephant artillery. What the fuck were they smoking? Hashish? Kush?

kingdoms2011-07-1422-42-55-68.jpg

The privateers break, unable to pierce my lines and overwhelming firepower.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-43-53-40.jpg

Meanwhile, I sic the dogs on them and my triarii go hunting the remaining enemy generals and their guards.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-44-38-87.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1422-44-53-68.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1422-45-16-92.jpg

I lose quite a few troops to the charges of the enemy generals, but I win.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-47-24-03.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1422-47-26-31.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1422-47-27-90.jpg

Sithra belongs to us now.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-48-36-48.jpg

As I conquer these desert provinces I unlock new mercenary unit types whom I can train from the facilities I have established, like the time I can train Spartans without a new general.

Tuskan Warriors - They're cheap spearmen with decent enough stats. However, in the desert they truly shine. They're also free while garrisoned.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-50-09-36.jpg

Tushkan Archers have a pretty good defense (Sagitarii are still better though), but their true quality lines in being free while garrisoned.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-50-26-39.jpg

Tushkan Raiders would be the horse archer equivalent of the Tushkan Scouts. Pretty good missile attack.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-50-37-20.jpg

The City Hall is an upgrade to the Council Chambers building....or was upgraded to the COuncil Chambers building? Either way, these sorts of buildings grant law bonuses (repression) and health bonuses due to better management.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-51-39-80.jpg

The Military Stables just increases the unit pool size for my cavalry units.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-55-41-39.jpg

The Imperial Stables unlocks a new horse archer unit. Previously I only had Equites Sagitarii, but now I have Equites Clibinarii. Which I'll advertise later when I actually get the building built.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-55-48-23.jpg

Since the Privateers don't have much left it's time to go after the Tahar Caliphate.

kingdoms2011-07-1422-57-32-93.jpg

And this big baby shows up as a recruitable mercenary force. Hell to the fuck yes.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-02-20-04.jpg

And so Slavos and Tullius go ahead and besiege the Tahar settlements.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-03-05-87.jpg

The Tahar, being smart, quickly call a ceasefire with the Valiente so they can concentrate their efforts on me. I'd like to see them try, as my newly conquered provinces are raising a lot of Tushkans as we speak and the settlementsback on the mainland are raising elite troops.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-03-36-93.jpg

The Privateers ask for a ceasefire. I accept, since I've pretty much already conquered most of them.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-18-24-37.jpg

The Holy Order of the Pale Knights contacts me for trade rights. Why not?

kingdoms2011-07-1423-19-24-12.jpg

Zanhari is starved out.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-20-45-66.jpg

I accidentally pressed Autoresolve on a sally at yaisal and ended up losing quit a lot of men, despite the victory. Epic fail.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-21-37-54.jpg

Tushkan Swordsmen are pretty reliable units. They rely more on defense skill than shield though, so they're more vulnerable to getting shot than my legionnaires. Still, they're pretty numerous and they're pretty good.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-28-33-51.jpg

These are the Equites Clibinarii. They feel more like ranged tanks (Sigurd, anyone?) than nimble cavalry archers.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-32-22-54.jpg

Romuli siege equipment is actually pretty limited. The Trebuchet is the most advanced they'll go. It's basically a better version of the Catapult.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-32-34-91.jpg

Moving up to siege Kesh.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-33-25-85.jpg

and jakuta.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-34-02-89.jpg

And Andelusi.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-49-05-92.jpg

The final Romuli cavalry building would be Caesar's Stables. They unlock the cataphractii (apparently the Equites praetoriani aren't the best?), which I will advertise the next update.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-50-20-85.jpg

The Tahar Caliphate offer a ceasefire, which I refuse.

kingdoms2011-07-1423-56-15-80.jpg

I train up an Assassin. Look at his shitty stats, maybe if I train more I can attract the attentions of the Assassins' Guild.

kingdoms2011-07-1500-05-08-30.jpg

Time to kill this wench. Also take note that my treasury is going up. The new settlements I've conquered are all garrisoned with free units like the Tushkan.

kingdoms2011-07-1500-05-25-68.jpg

Heheheh. She died via snake bite.

kingdoms2011-07-1500-05-38-10.jpg

Looks like being out in the field for too long has taken a toll on Tullius....

kingdoms2011-07-1500-07-03-65.jpg

I send off a force to take Tulansi.

kingdoms2011-07-1500-12-17-77.jpg

One of my spies who had been exploring around will be picked up by boat. He'll be heading to the other islands to see if there's anything interesting that I'd want to conquer. I mean, each island probably has different mercenaries.

kingdoms2011-07-1500-14-36-33.jpg

Well, looks like a Jihad has been called. Jihads can be called by Muslim factions on provinces that were conquered. The enemy will make this army where all participating units that join will have free upkeep and increased movement on the campaign map. Shouldn't be too hard to beat up.

kingdoms2011-07-1516-54-15-49-1.jpg

This is the Cataphractarii. Stats wise, they're almost identical to the Equites Lanciarii except +1 armor and they have 7 more charge bonus, which suddenly makes them insane if they get to charge.

kingdoms2011-07-1516-55-00-36-1.jpg

my spy makes it to the eastern island. It seems to be owned mostly by the Barka Sultanate.

kingdoms2011-07-1516-56-30-61-1.jpg

Seems like the Privateers have decided to become a protectorate/vassal of another nation. Basically in exchange for half of their income they become allied with their master and will be protected.

kingdoms2011-07-1516-57-07-68-1.jpg

As my assassins kill off random people, Tullius gets a new member in his retinue. Namely, a master of assassins.

kingdoms2011-07-1516-57-34-42-1.jpg

And my random force is attacked by a rather large Tahar army.

kingdoms2011-07-1516-59-48-10-1.jpg

Congratulations! You've had a Holy War declared on you!

I don't know whether to take the elephants or the cataphractarii...

What do you do to take/post screenshots?

Yes. ALAH ACKBAR.

Take both.

I use FRAPs.

I CAN HAVE ALL OF THEM?! I found my cult! This is bad for you, Grandmaster! I can claim your entire army and then you won't actually control them and I can take over the world by letting you do it for me! This is brilliant! Exclamation marks! EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!!

It sounds like so much work...

I CAN HAVE ALL OF THEM?! I found my cult! This is bad for you, Grandmaster! I can claim your entire army and then you won't actually control them and I can take over the world by letting you do it for me! This is brilliant! Exclamation marks! EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!!

It sounds like so much work...

Actually, nevermind you fanatic. :D

It is.

So previously, this huge Jihad army was attacking the smaller army of mine which was besieging Anansi. Let's see what happens.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-23-06-72.jpg

I was only able to do a double line, melee units in front and ranged units in back. Also, I need to make a correction on the Tushkan Raiders unit. They're actually javelin cavalry, noot horse archers.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-24-08-79-1.jpg

This looks kinda scary actually.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-24-19-35-1.jpg

Their javelin-throwing skirmishers were repelled pretty easily by pila and arrows.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-26-55-79-1.jpg

Oh, so those dudes are Immortals? So...I'm guessing the Tahar are actually based on Persians then. Well...spearmen, do your best!

kingdoms2011-07-1522-27-23-37-1.jpg

Let's just say the spearmen were at a disadvantage.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-27-35-36.jpg

Infantry line, charge those boys armed with sticks!

kingdoms2011-07-1522-28-26-02.jpg

I've got shield wall mode on, and hopefully my legionnaires will be able to hold out mmost attacks.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-28-43-77.jpg

Luckily, the Immortals are being held off while the boys are being cut down. After they rout, I should be able to flank attack the immortals.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-29-20-11.jpg

okay, where the hell did you guys come from? Hashashim, if I remember correctly, were pretty dangerous units who could hide anywhere.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-30-04-69.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1522-30-37-77.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1522-32-10-84.jpg

Well, suddenly all of them started routing. Then I realized, this was just an advance force. The real Jihad army is coming. Shit.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-32-59-17.jpg

Well, at least I think I still have some javelins to kill elephants with.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-33-51-86.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1522-34-19-43.jpg

Here we go...

kingdoms2011-07-1522-37-48-47.jpg

The morale-breaking impact of charging Immortals and Jezail bullets immediately breaks my men. Then I realized, the Tushkan line of units didn't have the "Good morale" trait, didn't they? Well, I'm screwed.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-38-20-02.jpg

Meanwhile, the legionnaires are giving 0 shits.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-38-49-28.jpg

And a few javelins took down quite an amount of elephants.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-39-02-83.jpg

Then I just discovered a function that highlights my units and the enemy units. This'll help me differentiate between the two.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-39-26-96.jpg

The battle is pretty much lost. I order my remaining units to withdraw, just so I don't lose everybody.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-40-21-31.jpg

Well I didn't give the order yet when I took this pic....

kingdoms2011-07-1522-40-45-22.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1522-41-04-14.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1522-41-31-38.jpg

It's time to GTFO!

kingdoms2011-07-1522-41-51-19.jpg

As my men flee, quite a few of them are shot to death by bullets.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-42-28-91.jpg

Meh, I kinda expected this. I relied on auxiliary local troops to make up my numbers. And well....I need professionals. Especially against special Jihad-only units.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-43-13-09.jpg

On the other hand, the Andelusi fortress falls to me.

kingdoms2011-07-1522-47-18-52-1.jpg

Well, the Tahar were honorable enough to release themen they took as prisoners. I think maybe this is because I've been releasing prisoners too...or maybe I don't sack/exterminate their settlements...

kingdoms2011-07-1522-48-24-12-1.jpg

The Jihad army makes its way to its target. Let's see how they match up to Romuli steel.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-04-50-78-2.jpg

Meanwhile, I've already raised up a more professional army to go after Anansi.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-04-55-77-2.jpg

A turn later, the Jihad army doubles in size (you can tell by the filled color in the banner), and they've built some siege equipment. However, they did not assault.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-08-43-39-2.jpg

I find another new unit up for recruitment, the Tushkan Jezail. Basically desert soldiers with a arquebus, i think.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-09-49-81-2.jpg

My other army moves up to continue a path of conquering.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-10-46-47-2.jpg

I sent another desert force to Anansi to reinforce the other one, but they're being attacked. Time for battle!

kingdoms2011-07-1523-12-00-46-2.jpg

Does his face look manly? I say yes.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-12-42-85-2.jpg

The spearmen and Tushkan Raiders will go after the elephants. The Tushkan Scouts will go after the infantry.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-20-32-12-2.jpg

So how do you fight against cavalry charges? Well, you make sure your infantry are not moving and are in the "Ready" stance. This way they will try to brace themselves against charging enemies, and receive less casualties as a result.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-21-06-27-2.jpg

The Tushkan Warriors quickly take down the elephants, who happen to be carrying one of the Tahar's named characters.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-21-33-75-2.jpg

Cavalry, while powerful in Thera, are best used in the cavalry cycle. You charge, withdraw, get to some distance away, then you charge again. With the Tushkan scouts, it's great, their stamina + bonus in deserts = dead Immortals. Now if I wee using European Knights....well.....I'll probably only need to charge once.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-22-00-70-2.jpg

Charge again and again!

kingdoms2011-07-1523-22-55-97-2.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1523-23-31-89-2.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1523-23-34-81-2.jpg

I'll do this battle next.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-30-52-31-2.jpg

Previously on the LP, the Jihad army has reached their target settlement, and are assaulting it. let's see how much they got pwned.

I deployed my troops back to the inner ring of walls. I expect them to try and knock the gate down or something. If they try and climb the walls, I have Praetoriani waiting there.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-37-08-68.jpg

They quickly ram through the first gates, but forget that I've got yet another set with the inner walls and they abandon their ram.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-41-01-47.jpg

Yeah, they abandoned all their other siege equipment and made a mad rush.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-41-11-06.jpg

Archers, fire arrows!

kingdoms2011-07-1523-41-11-06.jpg

Well, seems like a group was smart enough to bring up ladders. Oh yeah, most of their army seems to be made of Tushkan Jezails and Immortals and led by an elephant bodyguard.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-44-43-00.jpg

The Immortals climb up, and fight to a standstill against the Praetoriani.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-46-39-28.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1523-50-37-95.jpg

Another way to deal with Elephants is to keep shooting flaming arrows at them. It's not gonna kill them, but if you shoot enough then they'll freak out, panic, and run amok, killing themselves and their forces. In a cramped siege situation like this, it's a godsend.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-50-52-66.jpg

As the Praetoriani get worn down I send up Mancu Warriors.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-55-25-90.jpg

I get impatient at the slow combat on the walls, so I send my Legionarii out and have them mop up whoever's left outside.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-57-39-82.jpg

They bring up a ram, but really? My forces are already outside and killing off the Jezails.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-57-51-62.jpg

My Numari Warriors rush in. They get butchered, but they succeeded in holding up the enemy while my legionnaires continued to slowly wipe the floor with Tahar blood.

kingdoms2011-07-1523-58-28-66.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1523-59-25-68.jpg

With their general killed from running around amok, they flee.

kingdoms2011-07-1600-00-00-70.jpg

I order all units to get out and start killing people.

kingdoms2011-07-1600-01-48-59.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1600-02-45-34.jpg

Jihad? What Jihad? Holy War? More like a Holy Sacrifice to your Allah, fools! We worship the true sun god Mithras!

kingdoms2011-07-1600-04-37-37.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1600-04-39-06-1.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-1600-04-40-93-1.jpg

The Tahar offer a ceasefire. I decline. We will continue conquering up.

kingdoms2011-07-1600-06-08-40-1.jpg

Should I expand east on the middle island (and fight the Hispanics), or should I expand north (and fight the Valiente)?

Apologies, I was at Vegas for the past few days. Will update soon.

I've always thought that units got fatigued too easily walking around in hot weather. Well, it's realistic, I'll tell you. I felt ready to die walking around in 110 F heat during Vegas, even if it was for 2 minutes at most....I was wearing a T-shirt and shorts! Now imagine marching around that in full combat dress uniform/plate armor. Fuck.

Edited by skitarii

Right, here's the update I was talking about, heheh.

Seems that Slavos' army at Dakar is attracting quite a lot of Tahar attention. I quickly hire a lot of Tushkan mercenaries since I know the Tahar have a shitload of elephant troops.

kingdoms2011-07-2108-59-03-09.jpg

While I was spying around the island to the West I found that above the lands of the Barka Sultanate are the lands of the Holy Order of the Pale Knights. Then I looked around and realized their units are based off of the Medieval Knights Hospitallers......aka Knights of St. John, the very ones my faction was descended from in my Empire Total War LP.

kingdoms2011-07-2109-13-11-03.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-2109-13-14-32.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-2109-13-29-94.jpg

Suck it, Tahar.

kingdoms2011-07-2109-19-54-09.jpg

Anansi falls to us, but not before a fair number of legionnaires got their asses gored by elephants.

kingdoms2011-07-2109-45-17-57.jpg

Conquering Anansi seems to send me further into the lands of the Numari people. New units unlocked in that region:

Numari Bows are really cheap archers with a fair-enough missile attack.

kingdoms2011-07-2109-50-13-76.jpg

Numari Spears have no special abilities, and are rather shitty units. Their spears are too short to qualify them as actual spearmen, so they have no anti-cavalry bonuses.

kingdoms2011-07-2109-50-37-82.jpg

The Army Barracks is the best military building a Romuli city can have. 3 in each unit pool means you can make some units very quickly, and they'll replenish pretty quickly too, I think.

kingdoms2011-07-2109-52-23-88.jpg

The Mayor's Palace will give a pretty large bonus to public order. This is something you need when cities begin to get very, very crowded late-game and people start getting pissed from squalor.

kingdoms2011-07-2109-52-34-79.jpg

Caesar Tullius moves further north. Jakuta is secure now.

kingdoms2011-07-2109-59-19-34.jpg

Well, time for a big battle. One thing I don't like about the older games is that I can't see the army composition of the enemy before the battle.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-01-43-47.jpg

That's quite a lot of enemies. Good thing I don't need to face all of them at once.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-04-03-44.jpg

i turn off fire at will for my legionnaires. Skirmishers die easily, but they eat up your ammo. I'll save the pila for the elephants.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-04-57-59.jpg

I also try not to march my troops around too much. Most of us are wearing heavy armor, and in this heat, they'll be cooked FAST.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-05-46-47.jpg

Things are starting to get a little hot here, there's flaming pots from those catapults, and they're guarded by elephants. Nothing to do except to handle all those Tahar infantry running at me.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-07-15-35.jpg

My own elephants are undermanned. There's no archers on the...compartments, only riders.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-07-20-61.jpg

I wonder if katanas work well on elephants.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-08-05-03.jpg

Well that question was something I don't want to answer the hard way, but for sure gunpowder should do something to elephants. I've got flaming arrows trained on those fuckers and I am gonna make them run amok.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-09-00-07.jpg

Things don't quite go as planned, with enemy elephants annihilating my lines.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-09-57-55.jpg

Well somehow this group decided to rout. But they're still so many more elephants.....

kingdoms2011-07-2110-10-21-57.jpg

My own 'phants run amok. Too bad it's away from the enemy, and closer to my own troops.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-10-51-97.jpg

I highlight the battlefield just to see how well/poorly I'm doing. That's not good. Blue is the color of my reinforcements sitting elsewhere.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-11-43-80.jpg

Go go ronin, push back those Tahars!

kingdoms2011-07-2110-12-24-16.jpg

SPARTAANS. TONIGHT, WE DINE IN HELL!

kingdoms2011-07-2110-13-33-49.jpg

As Slavos' army is slaughtered/routing/withdrawing, my second force of Tushkans and legionnaires begin to flow in.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-14-46-62.jpg

Meanwhile Slavos tries to kill as many Tahars as he can by repeatedly charging, almost bouncing between multiple enemy units, pinball style.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-15-45-87.jpg

It works.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-16-37-31.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-2110-16-56-36.jpg

Looks like a lot of enemies right? Good thing half of them are routing, and the other half are archers.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-17-26-72.jpg

And some of the Caliph's Bodyguard maul my horse archers.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-17-56-84.jpg

Hm, maybe the Tahar need to learn how to organize. They've shot their own siege weapons.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-18-12-73.jpg

Well I have Tushkan Raiders riding forth like Big Damn Heroes over the sands to see if they can help Slavos out a bit.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-19-39-35.jpg

Actually withdrawing sounds pretty good here. The Tahar have regrouped.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-20-25-12.jpg

See that asshole standing on that one bloody elephant? That's one of the Tahar Caliphate's royal family members.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-23-31-65.jpg

Well, he goes amok, which causes way more trouble for my swordsmen. Good thing I've got lots of legionnaires itching to throw pila.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-25-24-39.jpg

Meanwhile, my hounds munch on some Sahar Boys.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-27-03-38.jpg

All units, HURL!

kingdoms2011-07-2110-31-06-48.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-2110-33-39-73.jpg

Douche.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-33-43-62.jpg

The remaining Tahar, shocked by the loss of their generals and captains, exhausted by the desert heat, flee at the sight of my reinforcements. Slavos and co. did most of the work actually.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-34-31-43.jpg

Looking out for the last bits of Tahar.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-35-01-64.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-2110-36-20-16.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-2110-37-31-48.jpg

Hm, I thought it'd be worse since they had elephants.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-41-59-45.jpg

Negative experience means that unit is completely wiped out.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-42-03-38.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-2110-42-12-34.jpg

kingdoms2011-07-2110-42-17-15.jpg

Dakar is ours. I decide to sack it.

kingdoms2011-07-2110-44-17-10.jpg

At this rate, we'll be fighting with the Ducado somethingsomething Valiente!

kingdoms2011-07-2110-47-46-32.jpg