FE: Realm of Darkness

BlueLeafeon

rodbanner.png

This hack features most of my sprited Original Characters as they're warped from their own worlds into a realm in peril. It centers around Ryen, a prince from the land of Triannos, and Luke, the prince of Aquatos, as they find themselves within a strange, unknown world. As they explore their new territory, they gain many more allies. Together, they will find out what brought them here, and what they must do before they can return to their own worlds.

DISCLAIMER

I, BlueLeafeon, am not reponsible for any damage done to your computer, ear drums, eyes or head while you are playing this hack. I run a virus-free computer and my site should be virus-free as well.

I am also not responsible for any stuck game files that result in your careless decisions while playing. If the game tells you to go through Ryen's mode and you pick Luke's, that's YOUR OWN fault, not mine.

Teaser Info

• Specialized battle animations for the main lords, and a custom battle animation
  • Somewhat stronger monster enemies
  • Completely new plot, not just a rehash of FE8
  • Edited stat sheet and title screen backgrounds
  • Custom weapon, map and possibly other palettes as well.
  • Completely new maps!
  • Imported battle animations

STATISTICS:

Progress: I've mostly been working on battle animations, title screens and stuff, but have gotten a good amount of the Prologue scripting done.

Chapters Done: 0

Portraits Inserted: 1

Battle Animations Imported/Edited: 5

Screenshots Etc

prologue00.pngprologue01.png

prologue02.pngryen.png

You can also view a short video displaying a "custom" battle animation I made with FEditor:

Yay, another FE8 reskin...

Yay. another guy who didn't read my first post at all. :P

~Reskin~

A hack that does not change event or map data. Most Reskins typically make graphical, stat, class and text changes with a cross over type story where the Fire Emblem cast meets characters from other Fire Emblem games or different franchises entirely.

I do intend on changing most maps and editing the events to the best of my ability. Heck, there might even be custom chapters if I ever figure out how to make them. It's just a matter of me finally understanding arch's event tutorials and/or the event assembler language. ;>>

Show more like this please, it's so cool. Nothing else looks particularly note-worthy.

I will. Once I finish formatting/inserting those face portraits. I've been too busy with everything else. XD

though the back-drop for the portrait is oddly distracting

I think it's because I never dulled the colors on it like I did the rest of the stat sheet background. It's still a bit bright...

Yay. another guy who didn't read my first post at all. :P

I go by what I see, and this:

prologue02.png

makes me think reskin. If you're not planning on a reskin, maybe don't post screens that indicate a reskin :P

And, you can say "Well, you should've just read the OP", but stating you're not doing a reskin in the OP, and then posting an image that resembles a reskin is pretty confusing. I'd get rid of that specific screen, or change it, or something, if I were you.

Also, uh...:

7869f9c0964bd6625ca5cb166e551cca.png

Why so glitchy? Those boxes can't be intentional.

And because I can't edit this post enough, Ryen has a ridiculously long neck. He must be an Apatosaurus ' x'

Edited by seph1212

I go by what I see, and this:

prologue02.png

makes me think reskin. If you're not planning on a reskin, maybe don't post screens that indicate a reskin :P

And, you can say "Well, you should've just read the OP", but stating you're not doing a reskin in the OP, and then posting an image that resembles a reskin is pretty confusing. I'd get rid of that specific screen, or change it, or something, if I were you.

Kinda have to agree with him here.

She needs to post more screenshots of other things than the Renais castle map, world map, and a stat screen if she's gonna convince people it's not a reskin.

To the defense, if one were to judge by screens first, people would think The Will of Good and Evil, FE8Girls, and FE7if were pretty basic edits too with nothing redeeming to them. Because early on, their screens make the hacks look just about as vanilla as these screens do--early screens don't really show much worth.

What a way it would be to miss out because of an assumption.

Well, I can't argue against that.

On the other hand, a lot of the screens advertising the non-reskin-ness of those hacks (and, while it's true that they're pretty motherfuckingly epic, they're still glorified reskins unless I'm missing something major here) are VERY eye-catching (complex battle animations [no, pikachu does not count since it can't be more than 5 frames total], epic stats, or the ridiculously epic sound room). All I see here is a custom stat-screen. Nothing else really strikes me as being not-reskin.

EDIT: Alright, FEGirls is hardly a reskin, I was wrong.

Edited by CT075

:\ You can do what Decay of the Fangs did and not post screens so people don't judge you straight away without even giving the game a true chance (i.e. having to play the game to get any real impression of it).

Not sure if that made any sense...

Regardless it looks cool so far, perhaps trying the event tutorial in the Ultimate Tutorial (although it is inferior to Arch's) or asking questions will help you with your event editing.

Good luck.

First impressions matter and if you, as the creator of the hack, can't convoy the essence of the hack properly, it's not our fault for getting the wrong impressions, it's your fault. The point of hack threads is to sell the hack to us (playing hacks cost us our most valuable resource, time) so you need to be able to communicate the point of the hack properly, otherwise you will just turn away the people you should be attracting nd attract the people who won't like your hack who will then proceed to spread even more misinformation (mostly unintentionally, but some are real assholes). So yes, communication skills matter and blaming us from jumping to conclusions is just sidestepping the real issue, that we are getting the wrong conclusion in the first place.

Edited by Nintenlord

It's a mix of both. If the author wouldn't want the wrong conclusions to be jumped to, he should try to advertise his work with something more exciting. But the real issue with this is it's impossible, and not always profitable, to pander to specific tastes just for an agreement which doesn't reflect everyone's own. Everyone has their own viewpoints and expectations--especially this niche area of game tinkering at Serenes Forest, in comparison with a majority of other centrals.

At the same time, no matter how one tries to look at it, the way you view something and judge it is entirely your own--you cannot honestly blame someone else for how you feel. Something may have given you context to react to, but that reaction is entirely your own responsibility. The only authentic way of saying it is another's fault one feels a way is if that other somehow controls how you feel. The other doesn't make you have wrong impressions--he gave you something to which you create an impression, wrong or right, about. It is entirely the observer's fault, right--whichever word you choose--to create their assumption. And responsibility to bear it, and not point fingers under the wrong context.

Objectively, showing three screens which don't really show anything interesting, other than a small sentence of plot, and that you can change text, isn't really all that interesting when everyone else can do the same. That killed 3/4 of the presentation XD

Edited by Celice

...Ah, the FE community. Full of pessimists who take delight in seeing my hardest work and reducing it to ash.

Why so glitchy? Those boxes can't be intentional.

Obviously, the TSA for the stat sheet is still off. Thanks for pointing that out.

It looks like he tried to downgrade the colors used and it just sorta artifact'd. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a hero-like guy or a tree.

Tree looked so much more miserably.

...It's a background from Kirby: Nightmare In Dreamland, and the only thing I changed about it was splitting it into two pieces so I can use two separate palettes.

also make sure to edit the maps. i can't stand playing the same darn map with different charactors(less you don't do it all in the same order as the game its being hacked from)

I will. Probably from Chapter 1 onward, unless I figure out how to make my own custom chapters from scratch. It's kind of hard to edit the prologue map and make it look good while keeping the enemy units from destroying the main lord. (While also keeping the events functional...darn you Seth for not just appearing out of nowhere like I want you to...)

:\ You can do what Decay of the Fangs did and not post screens so people don't judge you straight away without even giving the game a true chance (i.e. having to play the game to get any real impression of it).

That's a good idea, actually. After seeing the flame war that went on in here I think I'd rather keep all my hard work to myself until it's all done. -_-

Regardless it looks cool so far, perhaps trying the event tutorial in the Ultimate Tutorial (although it is inferior to Arch's) or asking questions will help you with your event editing.

Oh yeah! I downloaded that. Haven't gotten around to looking at it yet, though I probably should. Nice to hear it has an event tutorial in it...arch's may be more detailed but there are certain parts of it that's confusing. >_< That being that FE8 commands are on a separate post, rather than being in the same post with the FE7 codes like them, so when I get done I'm like "wait what?"

Edited by MagicTiger

That's a good idea, actually. After seeing the flame war that went on in here I think I'd rather keep all my hard work to myself until it's all done. -_-

Lolololwut.

This is no flame war, kid.

...Ah, the FE community. Full of pessimists who take delight in seeing my hardest work and reducing it to ash.

And... if 4 screenshots, and promises of custom work are your hardest work, well, it's not gonna take much for us to "reduce it to ash". Why not try and make something actually impressive, yeah?

and your Pikachu is neither impressive nor badass, madame.

Edited by seph1212

Ah, Trent, blunt as always.

"Hard work", meaning... what? Yep, we just reduced what you've shown us to ash. Problem? Since, being totally honest, what you've shown us is nothing special (aside from that statsheet, that's fucking awesome).

Oh yeah! I downloaded that. Haven't gotten around to looking at it yet, though I probably should. Nice to hear it has an event tutorial in it...arch's may be more detailed but there are certain parts of it that's confusing. >_< That being that FE8 commands are on a separate post, rather than being in the same post with the FE7 codes like them, so when I get done I'm like "wait what?"

Except that Arch has a better tutorial now.

Edited by CT075

• 5 weeks later...

You want proof it isn't a reskin? YOU GOT PROOF.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Now let's see how long it takes before somebody finds SOMETHING to nitpick about.

Edited by MagicKitty

I actually think was done rather well. It doesn't feel foreign from most of the maps IS developed (fans have a hard time emulating it, and generally create maps which feel distorted and alien). The river has the wrong sort of tiles when it bunches into the lake, though. It's static. There should be some flowing ones lying around in the default tileset. Also, the traversable paths are a bit blocky and artificial. Try and smooth them out a bit. Be careful though--almost everyone goes overboard and thinks snaking them everywhich way fixes this. It still feels awkward if it's an extreme in either direction.

The actual map, mind you. The preceding map used in the events could use a bit of work. Those hills are erroneous--they don't really represent anything other than plopping down hills randomly for the sake of hills. It's a bit non-sequitur.

Edited by Celice

The map seems kind of big for 3 on 4. Some of the events and transitioning is kind of rough. I needn't say anything about the mugs. The writing seems forced and unnatural in some parts. Good that you know how to put in some nice sounding music tracks though.

Nice to see more FE8 Eventers. Hopefully you'll improve upon the map.

"Winning Road" music is loud as hell.

Better turn it down with the BE command in the tracks.

I'm fully aware of this, though I only noticed it when recording the video, and haven't had time to lower the volume yet. (I've already lowered it once.)