Berwick Saga

paladin21

I'm helping in a Spanish site to make a guide for the Berwick Saga, since I find it amazingly good (even though I have to play it in Japanese while being able to speak no Japanese, and roughly understand the katakana writing). If you are interested, I might also help here with it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that would be great, thanks for the offer ^^

What kind of things will you be writing in your guide? I saw that you've been credited on Fire Emblem: War of Dragons, but I don't know any Spanish.

Right now I doing some general things, like calculations, options, that sort of stuff. I already did the skills and horses (the latter has to be updated on the site), so that thing would just be translating it.

Okay, that sounds cool. I'm not sure how busy you are with the spanish guides, but feel free to take your time.

Also, do you know how to use HTML? This is mainly useful for doing stuff like tables even though HTML is terrible for making tables, but oh well....

FEWoD is getting it's site translated into English, so I guess I could do it for both sites at the same time. And I don't think I really have to translate the numbers for the tables XD.

About HTML, I know how to use it, but if I have to make the entire page I'd rather use PHP and SQL. It's way faster.

I'm afraid to say that I don't have much experience with PHP or SQL and, slightly more importantly, I don't know for sure if the server has been setup to use them (I think it is, but I can just ask Jyosua about this).

However, I don't *think* what you use should be a major problem. So if you want to use PHP and SQL, that should be fine. If all else fails, I'll try and think of something ^^

Well, what PHP does is generating the code, so I'd just have to load the page and copy-paste the code to a HTML document, but in a site like this I thought you used that (actually we're now using it in the forum!!!).

• 3 weeks later...

On a related note, this site seems to have almost complete information on Berwick Saga's gameplay mechanics. I don't know Japanese, but with a Google Translated version of the site combined with my own knowledge and testing from playing the game to make sense out of it, I believe I can clean up and nearly complete the section of this site focused on technical information on Berwick Saga... well, rather, I can compile the stuff into spreadsheets so it can be stuck into the site.

Are you interested in this?

Edited by Othin

Haha, that's good to know then. I'm basically a caveman when it comes to web design.

Well, serenes forest might be a simple layout but I think it is perfect for what it is (apparently) meant to be! :wub:

caveof2.jpg

caveofforgottendreams.jpg

chauvetcavepaintings.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1664894/

WE LOVE YOU VINCENT!!!

Edited by VincentASM
Hiding the large images

I think I understand it well enough to translate most things, at least in combination with my testing with the game. I've often found myself having to cross-reference the translated and untranslated versions, though, because of really stupid stuff with the online translator like switching the order of words or translating the same Japanese word as one thing one place and another thing another place. This was particularly an issue for skills, where, for example, it translates one skill as "Allowance" on the skill page, then on the character page, lists some characters as having the skill "Allowance" while other characters as having the skill "Go Easy". Checking the untranslated page, I was able to confirm that it's referring to the same skill (which I translated as Mercy, naturally), but it was still a pain. I have what I believe to be a complete listing of all the characters and their skills (and other key characteristics) with a decently translated, consistent name for each skill, which should be a big help in making any character guide or other relevant pages.

The only thing I'm missing is one skill Aegina and Saphira have. The site lists a translation, but I can't figure out what it says, and I don't think I've seen it work.

HP以上のダメージを受ける攻撃が命中したとき、命中率を-10%して再判定を行う。

According to the Babelfish translation, it seems like something along the lines of the Prayer/Miracle skill in FE4/5/9/10, but I don't want to assume anything, and it affects how I'd translate it.

Edit: Currently working on spreadsheet that should basically be ready for the Learned Skills page. For now, I'm working under the assumption that the mystery skill functions as Miracle and using that name. One other issue I noticed, though. According to the wiki, Marcel gains +1 Move at LV15, which lines up with what I've heard. What seems odd is that it's an identical effect to gaining the skill Sprint, but the wiki doesn't say anything about him actually learning Sprint, just gaining the movement. So, for anyone who's played the game, do you know whether he got the skill or just the movement? I haven't been using him on my current playthrough, so I can't check for myself.

Specifically, the wiki says:

移動力+1(Lv.15)、 低速Ⅱ(Lv.15→14→15)

I don't know what to make of this. I've just been ignoring the second part, but if anyone has any idea what it might mean, it might help clear this up.

Edited by Othin

Assuming the description is correct,

HP以上のダメージを受ける攻撃が命中したとき、命中率を-10%して再判定を行う。

means "If the user would take damage from an attack that kills them (literally "goes over their HP"), that attack is [ignored and] rolled again with -10% Accuracy."

No clue about Marcel sorry.

EDIT

Love the cave drawings X D

Edited by VincentASM

Ah, so it is indeed a Miracle-type effect. Good to know.

Anyway, I've essentially finished pages for each of the characters' base stats, growth rates, skill progressions, and class changes, and a page for the elemental magics. I don't have class change requirements written up, just the benefits of the class changes, but that shouldn't take too long (and seems to fit better on a separate page). I'm also not sure what Lightning's effect is (戦闘不能確率2倍, something about heavy injury/non-combat/crippled status?), and of course, when I do get the class change requirements compiled, Reese's will have to be blank for the time being, although I intend to address that mystery as soon as I can.

Anyway, if you're interested, I'll see about uploading these. I tried to upload what I had earlier, but MegaUpload got stuck somewhere after uploading the document, just like every other time I've tried to use it.

Edited by Othin

I was talking about more general stuff, like the chance to inflict a character the injured status and such. I could guess/understand most things from their lists.

About Marcel, I think mine is at level 12, so I might see what´s up then. However, a guidebook I have says that he learns Allowance/Mercy at that level (LVL15). When I get him to level 15, I'll be able to tell you for sure.

It would be interesting to add the food skills as well, since if you're lucky enough to get the right meal at the right time, the missions can be significantly easier (like having more arrow-dodgers in the mission "Scorpion" in Ch10, since there are only two enemies not locked to bows, and one of them doesn't even attack).

Ah, yes. That's something I've been wondering about, as well.

I haven't looked into food much; I don't know if the wiki explains it in any detail. There definitely doesn't seem to be sufficient information about horses and resulting skills or other effects.

Working on bows now, and it seems the Demon Bow has the same effect as Lightning. It definitely seems to be something about heavy injuries, but there's no % or anything... Maybe it doubles the chance? I'll work with that assumption for now.

Mercy? That definitely sounds odd; I was watching YayMarsha's videos of his Berwick playthrough, and he noted the same thing about Marcel gaining +1 Move at LV15. And based on what he said, he's played through the game a few times and likes using Marcel, so I assume he'd know if that was incorrect. But we'll just have to see, I guess.

I'm also not sure what Lightning's effect is (戦闘不能確率2倍, something about heavy injury/non-combat/crippled status?), and of course, when I do get the class change requirements compiled, Reese's will have to be blank for the time being, although I intend to address that mystery as soon as I can.

The wiki has a page that lists the formula for injuries and wounds, which explains the Lightning effect better. Basically, the normal formula has a part where the number gets cut in half. For the double rate weapons, it instead gets multiplied by 2. For a Demon Bow user, this makes 100% wound rate pretty easy to reach.

As for Reese's promotion requirements, I still don't understand how it works. Considering the food menu is randomized when starting a new chapter though, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to just be a random event past a certain chapter.

It would be interesting to add the food skills as well, since if you're lucky enough to get the right meal at the right time, the missions can be significantly easier (like having more arrow-dodgers in the mission "Scorpion" in Ch10, since there are only two enemies not locked to bows, and one of them doesn't even attack).

Definitely lots of fun to be had save/load spamming until you get a menu that doesn't suck. :)

I haven't looked into food much; I don't know if the wiki explains it in any detail. There definitely doesn't seem to be sufficient information about horses and resulting skills or other effects.

The food section of the wiki is probably the most comprehensive one you'll find, since you can sort by food grade or just check one character's taste. Some of the entries might be a little vague though, like the foods that increase "luck." As far as I know, luck functions like a sort of Miracle Talisman, but that's not the easiest thing to figure out from the wiki.

As for horses, I don't know what you mean. There's a chart on the Stable page that lists any stat gains from mounting.

I was watching YayMarsha's videos of his Berwick playthrough, and he noted the same thing about Marcel gaining +1 Move at LV15. And based on what he said, he's played through the game a few times and likes using Marcel, so I assume he'd know if that was incorrect. But we'll just have to see, I guess.

Yeah, Marcel reaches amazing 4 movement at level 15. It's not on-topic, but I feel obligated to remind people to not make that same mistake (using him that much).

The wiki has a page that lists the formula for injuries and wounds, which explains the Lightning effect better. Basically, the normal formula has a part where the number gets cut in half. For the double rate weapons, it instead gets multiplied by 2. For a Demon Bow user, this makes 100% wound rate pretty easy to reach.

Good find; I hadn't looked in the FAQ much. Are you sure the x2 replaces the /2, though? It looks like it's saying it just takes whatever you already have and multiplies it by x2, and it's just that in that scenario, the /2 was already negated by the other effects.

As for Reese's promotion requirements, I still don't understand how it works. Considering the food menu is randomized when starting a new chapter though, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to just be a random event past a certain chapter.

I'll see about looking into this, although I don't expect great results from one file alone. It might be worth looking at odd data like number of civilian requests completed, etc. I certainly intend to do so. I'm right at the start of Ch7 on my main file and haven't gotten a promotion event yet, so I can try different things throughout the next few chapters and see if I can find anything useful.

The food section of the wiki is probably the most comprehensive one you'll find, since you can sort by food grade or just check one character's taste. Some of the entries might be a little vague though, like the foods that increase "luck." As far as I know, luck functions like a sort of Miracle Talisman, but that's not the easiest thing to figure out from the wiki.

As for horses, I don't know what you mean. There's a chart on the Stable page that lists any stat gains from mounting.

Well, there's some section that lists horses and doesn't provide any useful information. I guess I didn't look around enough to find the right one.

Yeah, Marcel reaches amazing 4 movement at level 15. It's not on-topic, but I feel obligated to remind people to not make that same mistake (using him that much).

Does the 4 movement come from the Sprint skill, or is it just a separate gain?

---

Compiled all wind/fire/thunder/holy/dark magic, all bows/crossbows/ballistae/arrows, all spears/lances/forks, all axes, and all shields, although there are still a few names and effects I couldn't figure out and intend to look into more. I also intend to redo the knives/swords/blades/maces; I haven't noticed any major issues with the pages on the site, but they could still use some cleanup. Vincent hasn't answered whether or not he's even interested in using any of this, but even if he isn't, it's good to have. Of course, it would be far more useful to the development of Berwick Saga as a playable game if he is...

Edited by Othin

Definitely lots of fun to be had save/load spamming until you get a menu that doesn't suck. :)

I meant adding those skills to the character skills sheet, so that you could guess what food could be useful at some chapters. Don't get me wrong, that wiki is useful as it is, but adding that would be interesting.

I'll see about looking into this, although I don't expect great results from one file alone. It might be worth looking at odd data like number of civilian requests completed, etc. I certainly intend to do so. I'm right at the start of Ch7 on my main file and haven't gotten a promotion event yet, so I can try different things throughout the next few chapters and see if I can find anything useful.

I think it has something to do with how you complete the important missions (I read something in a page I could no longer find), like you get 1-3 points for how you get it done (less turns, less NPC deaths, boss death/capture...)...

Compiled all wind/fire/thunder/holy/dark magic, all bows/crossbows/ballistae/arrows, all spears/lances/forks, all axes, and all shields, although there are still a few names and effects I couldn't figure out and intend to look into more. I also intend to redo the knives/swords/blades/maces; I haven't noticed any major issues with the pages on the site, but they could still use some cleanup. Vincent hasn't answered whether or not he's even interested in using any of this, but even if he isn't, it's good to have. Of course, it would be far more useful to the development of Berwick Saga as a playable game if he is...

Sorry, I missed your first post in this thread.

I think your information for Berwick Saga would definitely be useful. I just stopped working on the pages because I can't play the game without endangering my PC.

Although, I was just wondering have you played the game? Because, as you probably already know by now, a lot of the elements are different to FE, so certain information might be harder to interpret.

Also, I'm a bit wary about the accuracy of the translations. If people like paladin21 or YayMasha, would I know are familiar with the game, would like to double check your work, that would make me feel more comfortable. However if that's not possible, your info is better than nothing (and probably about as accurate as what I've currently got on the site).

In any case, if you're interested, you could also consider submitting your information on the wiki. The front page says registrations are closed, but I've privately enabled them for the time being. This might be handy if your info tables are already in HTML or something or you'd like somewhere to host your work at least temporarily.

Edited by VincentASM

Are you sure the x2 replaces the /2, though? It looks like it's saying it just takes whatever you already have and multiplies it by x2, and it's just that in that scenario, the /2 was already negated by the other effects.

Well, I guess you're right. Sylvis' skill and attacking an already injured enemy removes the /2 penalty, while using a double rate weapon gives the x2 bonus. Math stuff confuses me, so you should probably assume I'm wrong whenever I bring it up. :P

Does the 4 movement come from the Sprint skill, or is it just a separate gain?

I don't think I ever bothered to check his menu for a new skill, but his level up screen suggests it's just a movement gain.

Compiled all wind/fire/thunder/holy/dark magic, all bows/crossbows/ballistae/arrows, all spears/lances/forks, all axes, and all shields, although there are still a few names and effects I couldn't figure out and intend to look into more.

Which ones are you having problems with? I've probably seen the effects, so I might be able to help.

I think it has something to do with how you complete the important missions (I read something in a page I could no longer find), like you get 1-3 points for how you get it done (less turns, less NPC deaths, boss death/capture...)...

After looking around ChinaFE again for a bit, it seems Reese's promotion requires 18+ tactics points. If you don't have that by Chapter 10, he gets promoted anyway. This page has more information about how many points you get for each requirement. (That's one of the few pages that's better than at the wiki too.)

I've played the game up to the start of Chapter 7 so far. As a result, I can't check everything myself, but I've been using this file and an alternate file when necessary to look into everything I can. I'm not certain about everything, but I'm quite confident about the vast majority of the weapon effect translations. I've also started using this site as a second reference; it's particularly helpful in that in addition to providing the ingame description of the weapon, it gives side commentary that can help as an additional frame of reference with which to pinpoint the exact effect. It also has some information I hadn't found on the wiki, like explaining exactly how the durability system works.

That said, more people checking something like this always helps, especially since I know there's information I don't have at present. So I'll send it to anyone interested as soon as I can figure out how. As for the tables, they're currently in spreadsheet form; I don't know anything about what form might make them more useful, although I'm willing to learn if necessary.

Mostly my goal here is to make Berwick known well enough as a complete game rather than bits of information, explaining enough about its unique mechanics that people can understand how to play it without having to go through all the hassle I've been having to. I've certainly been enjoying this process, but I know not everyone would say the same.

Current progress: Finished redoing the Knives/Swords/Blades/Maces pages, did the Breath and Support Bonus pages, and did most of the Accessories page.

The one thing I really haven't been doing at this stage is the Repair column. The current pages on the site here have a column with Repair data for every listed weapon, but it doesn't seem accurate. The wiki also has a Repair column, which seems to be accurate based on everything I've checked, but unfortunately, it only lists Repair data for a minority of the weapons. Also, Repair costs seem to change based on durability level, and not knowing how it's determined from the base value unless it's broken, at which point most weapons are impossible to check anyway, it's difficult to look into data for other weapons or to verify it myself, to correct potential mistakes.

@YayMarsha: The effects were just Bau Crash and the percentage heals for Area Heal and Dark Heal. It's more names that are an issue. I've found that a lot of the more plausible translations for the names differ from the ones that tend to be found other places (Kali Axe for the "Curly Axe", Grimhild for the "Cream Hilt"), but I'm still looking into other stuff.

Good find for Reese's promotion. I'll see if I can retroactively figure out my current Tactics points and verify it myself, although that requires at least 9 up to this point, which I probably don't have.

Edit: According to the other site:

7章任務後から13章までに勲功が18以上になると、リースがクラスチェンジ可能。

Google Translate version:

Becomes more than 18 distinguished services to Chapter 13 after Chapter 7 mandate, the lease can Kurasuchenji.

Looks like that's another source verifying it.

Edited by Othin

If you send me the spreadsheets via e-mail or other means, I should be able to convert them to HTML. I can also send you the HTML versions in case you need to change anything (or I guess, if it's on the wiki, you can also change the page yourself).

About Reese's promotion, (according to ChinaFE) it seems characters can no longer promote once Chapter 14 begins. That's what the Chapter 13 thing is probably referring to, but if he's forced to promote before that, I wonder why they worded it like that...

Edited by VincentASM

About Reese's promotion, (according to ChinaFE) it seems characters can no longer promote once Chapter 14 begins. That's what the Chapter 13 thing is probably referring to, but if he's forced to promote before that, I wonder why they worded it like that...

I think his class change is forced before that (or you've been playing terribly bad if he promotes by merits). The reason nobody can promote after Ch13 is because they promote via events in the city, and they leave it after Ch13, not coming back for any purpose. I don't know if Narvia was taken and Leese and his men have to seize it back or they leave to beat the enemy on their own terrain.

Seems promoting Reese and subsequently recruiting Larentia doesn't affect the Happiness ranking, which would imply that it's forced. Of course, on a ranked run, you'd have to get enough Tactics points to promote Reese as early as Chapter 7 anyway.

Rankings are one of the things I'm working on at the moment (alongside food). I'm currently going based on the wiki primarily, so I'm using the info here. I have 34 of the Fame and Happiness points accounted for, and I know I can find more details on the Tactics and Fame requirements easily, but I'm stumped on the last point each for Fame and Happiness. Anyone know what they are?

Also, still wondering if anyone knows the % HP recovery for Area Heal and Dark Heal, or if Bau Crash does anything except not counter, not take counters, and not hit fliers. These are my main information uncertainties at the moment.

And I don't know if it was clear that I was asking last time, but is anyone who's completed Berwick Saga interested in looking this over when I get it to a point where I'm satisfied with it? It'll probably be at least a week before I reach that stage, though; I've found myself going after basically every gameplay info page suggested on the current Serenes section for Berwick Saga, as well as several others. I'm making fast progress, but there's so much to do.