Mandatory Swimming Lessons

Soren37

So, being a lifeguard, my dad brought to my attention the fact that the Canadian government may soon be trying to implement mandatory swimming lessons, especially in schools.

Article found here from CBC News.

So, what are your opinions on this? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Canada, especially the northern areas of Ontario (where I live), is home to a lot of lakes and open waterfront areas, which is where the majority of these drownings occur. Drownings are more common for toddlers, young adults, and the elderly, with males being more hard hit. Alcohol is also a key factor in nearly a quarter of the drownings.

Now, Canada's drowning rate has been steadily declining since the Red Cross started its water safety program here, but the number of people that still cannot swim is a little bit staggering. I am teaching children that are terrified of the water, and their parents are still learning how to swim. I am teaching the elderly how to swim, trying to undo a lifetime of swimming to make them able to survive if they go into the deep end.

I, as a lifeguard (and an apparent professional), think that including swimming safety in public schools and hopefully high schools would teach kids to respect the water more and make smarter decisions, such as: wearing a lifejacket, swimming with adult supervision or a buddy, not drinking before swimming, etc. Swimming lessons also teach kids valuable skills in case of emergencies, such as how to get out of water after falling through ice, basic CPR, choking prevention and treatment, and treading water. Finally, swimming lessons can improve a child's fitness levels and teach them a skill that they can carry with them for life. In an age of growing obesity, making the kids swim a little bit and keeping them safe wouldn't hurt anyone, would it?

EDIT:Canadian Drowning Statistics from 1991-2000 Sorry the dates are not the most recent. The Red Cross does not publish its most recent year until a couple years later.

Edited by Soren37

It seems kind of stupid considering most people will learn how to swim as they grow up anyway, and most people generally drown as a result of something not related to whether they know how to swim or not (cramps, rapids, too much rough housing, tiring out, being too fat, etc.).

Then again, I only skimmed through your PDF so I may be wrong. swimming isn't that hard to learn anyway.

:facepalm:

IF YOU CAN'T SWIM, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE WATER!

Anyway, at the topic I'm kind of iffy on the idea. I don't like the idea of physical activity stuff in school. I don't even like that a gym course is a graduation requirement. But if people are drowning because they don't know how to swim (if that is the real reason) it is a good idea to teach them. Early on in life though. I think this should be taught in early elementary. Grade 3 or 4. But if it's because of roughousing and being drunk, etc, it's pointless, because people can preach and preach but people don't listen. It's the same as drunk driving if that's the case.

I don't like the idea of physical activity stuff in school. I don't even like that a gym course is a graduation requirement.

Because we should stop encouraging people to work out and become over weight fat-asses right? Gym was so much fun for me in school. I don't see why so many people hate it.

Because we should stop encouraging people to work out and become over weight fat-asses right? Gym was so much fun for me in school. I don't see why so many people hate it.

There's a difference between "encouraging" and "forcing". People aren't forced to take the AP or academic courses in school but they are encouraged to. People can get by with easy courses in academics, which is more important than gym.

:facepalm:

IF YOU CAN'T SWIM, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE WATER!

Anyway, at the topic I'm kind of iffy on the idea. I don't like the idea of physical activity stuff in school. I don't even like that a gym course is a graduation requirement.

Be glad you do not live in the US.
But if people are drowning because they don't know how to swim (if that is the real reason) it is a good idea to teach them. Early on in life though. I think this should be taught in early elementary. Grade 3 or 4. But if it's because of roughousing and being drunk, etc, it's pointless, because people can preach and preach but people don't listen. It's the same as drunk driving if that's the case.

I agree, swimming should be taught in school, but not in every grade, it should be the discretion of the child if he wants to learn more advanced (i suppose) swimming techniques/go into competitive swimming. Still kids should be taugth early on the dangers of roughhousing and drunk+swimming. If i'm not wrong (probably am) kids are probably more likely to listen to warnings.

Gym was so much fun for me in school. I don't see why so many people hate it.
Personally i hated having to excersise very early in the morning, being graded for my participation (because i don't always want to excersise), and having people yell and scream at mistakes/no skill in a game. Its not even an important one. Also, most gym teachers can be annoying. There is plenty of reasons not to like gym.

I think there's a lot more demanding things that should be forced to be learned than swimming. I don't have a very good grasp on swimming--I know better than to plummet into a body of water I couldn't get out of. Would swimming being forced on me help me know how? If I went along with it, maybe, sure.

But is that actually going to make a huge different in my life. I mean, I don't live in Waterworld. Sadly.

:(

There's a difference between "encouraging" and "forcing". People aren't forced to take the AP or academic courses in school but they are encouraged to. People can get by with easy courses in academics, which is more important than gym.

Exercise is possibly more important than school in a way, since if you don't have a healthy body, you can't do much anything.

Personally i hated having to excersise very early in the morning, being graded for my participation (because i don't always want to excersise), and having people yell and scream at mistakes/no skill in a game. Its not even an important one. Also, most gym teachers can be annoying. There is plenty of reasons not to like gym.

Sounds to me like you're just upset that you can't play sports. And last I checked, you are graded for participation in any class you take in high school. And all teachers have an equal chance at being annoying.

Edited by Blademaster!

Sounds to me like you're just upset that you can't play sports. And last I checked, you are graded for participation in any class you take in high school. And all teachers have an equal chance at being annoying.

Not necessarily upset about it. I'm upset for the fact that its not my kind of thing yeti'm still forced to do it and to make it worst, forced to do it with people who do not enjoy having someone who sucks at a sport in their team. As for the teachers, i found Gym teachers to be more likely to be annoying than other teachers.

I'm sorry, but i prefer to be learning something, than being with some people outside yelling while we do something for "fun".

Exercise is possibly more important than school in a way, since if you don't have a healthy body, you can't do much anything.

That doesn't mean we should have to do a forced graded qualification in exercise.

Sounds to me like you're just upset that you can't play sports.

Yes, and that is a valid reason why people don't want to play sports: because they struggle at it and get moaned at because of it.

Didn't really stop Stephen Hawking

Not necessarily upset about it. I'm upset for the fact that its not my kind of thing yeti'm still forced to do it and to make it worst, forced to do it with people who do not enjoy having someone who sucks at a sport in their team. As for the teachers, i found Gym teachers to be more likely to be annoying than other teachers.

I'm sorry, but i prefer to be learning something, than being with some people outside yelling while we do something for "fun".

That's why my old school split the class up into one group of the people who excelled at sports and us plebs.

I think swimming is a good skill to learn plus its one of the best ways to keep fit but I can see why it might be deemed unnecessary as it isn't all that hard to avoid deep water.

I can see the productivity of learning to swim. However, I'm the type who avoids deep water anyway. I'm not sure about forced swim lessons, but making it readily available is always good!

So you don't consider anything other than being inside and doing things that aren't "fun" as learning?

Physical education is a lot more than just going outside and playing sports for no reason other than to make you exercise. It teaches you how to maintain a healthy lifestyle, most P.E. classes offer health education that covers a wide range of topics having to do with staying healthy, and it offers an opportunity to teach social skills as well, such as working with a team. If you think you can't "learn" in a P.E. class, you should broaden what your definition of what "learning" is.

I also am of the belief that having some physical education credit should be mandatory for graduation.

Edited by frat_tastic

I'm upset for the fact that its not my kind of thing yeti'm still forced to do it and to make it worst, forced to do it with people who do not enjoy having someone who sucks at a sport in their team.

Yes, and that is a valid reason why people don't want to play sports: because they struggle at it and get moaned at because of it.

Wow! I'm sure most people feel the exact same way about their academic classes! And they probably get moaned at even more for doing poorly in academics than sports!

Didn't really stop Stephen Hawking

He's crippled. Not unhealthy.

I also am of the belief that having some physical education credit should be mandatory for graduation.

I agree. Most people do not exercise by themselves, and if forcing them to exercise for 30 minutes a day is the only way to get them to do so, then that's what we should do.

But I don't think we should get into this argument any further. In my life, the only people who I have ever met that didn't think gym should be mandatory were people who were either fat, lazy, and/or out of shape. And being this is the internet, it is very likely some of us could fall under all three.

I personally didn't like the idea because it seemed a waste of time. Supervising teenagers and children running around for some time could be used to something more productive. I understand why it's expected to be done though--it's part of the perceived image/desire to culture. And having it done in early education places is as good as any to get people into specific mindsets. However, it being a waste of time isn't really valid, when a majority of early, public, enforced education is also a waste of time--considering what content and methods of learning are actually gone over. As such, there's a tinge of vocationalism--and with that, the requirement of whatever, including physical exercise, isn't really so absurd.

Various universities also instill the requirement of physical exercise for the same reason. Reed College demands you have a bit of physical-oriented courses for example. But, they're hippies. You shan't expect more--they want hippies to be mended.

As far as the Health thing is concerned, I'll be honest. Nobody listens or even cares about that segment, least of all the teachers themselves. It just got cut out of the eighth grade entirely. More attention is given to dance in a school with a heavy saturation of utter bogans than to health. And believe me. In the half of the year that didn't contain PE, there was not a marked difference in the numbers of overweight students. I do agree with having PE, purely as far as it should just exist to provide leisure. You could learn everything in High School in like, a week. It isn't ABOUT educating yourself, it's about breaking social barriers. ...Maybe this is why I average Cs.

You know what's truly absurd? Back in High School you did PE for half the year. As much as Science. Now, sure that was convenient for me (I dropped all math and science this year, which possibly makes me unique in the community as far as being mediocre academically is concerned) but ... seriously? I blame it for having three creationists in the higher of two Biology classes.

But yeah. Speaking as a non-swimmer, the lessons to me seem like they should be decided on a regional basis. There have been a few times where swimming would have been really helpful. An aeroplane crashing into the ocean might be one example. But if you're mostly landlocked, and there isn't a high occurence of flooding, well...there isn't really a point in a class where the teachers ACTUALLY TRY TO DROWN YOU.

Edited by Furekitty

I think that if you live in an area that has a high incidence of drownings, mandatory swim lessons for children at least should take place if voluntary programs aren't doing enough. These swim lessons should also include important notices about when it's safe to swim (i.e. not during storms, not if it's too cold, etc.) and other safety measures like First Aid.

As far as general physical education goes, I believe it should be mandatory. People learn a lot from sports, whether they have a positive or a negative experience, and just because some people don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be a requirement. I know people who don't like math, but that has usefulness too.

So you don't consider anything other than being inside and doing things that aren't "fun" as learning?

Physical education is a lot more than just going outside and playing sports for no reason other than to make you exercise. It teaches you how to maintain a healthy lifestyle, most P.E. classes offer health education that covers a wide range of topics having to do with staying healthy, and it offers an opportunity to teach social skills as well, such as working with a team. If you think you can't "learn" in a P.E. class, you should broaden what your definition of what "learning" is.

I was talking about Gym. Not health. In fact i used to enjoy health class. Gym however was the worst class i ever had. By Gym i mean the one were they force you to excersise even in those times you don't want to. I would have learned team work and some social skill in gym, in fact i would have probably enjoyed it, if people weren't jerks and moaned and bitch when you did something wrong, or kicked soccer balls with the intention of hurting you. That is not fun. And yes i think sitting in a desk and having someone talk to me more fun than gym class.

Wow! I'm sure most people feel the exact same way about their academic classes! And they probably get moaned at even more for doing poorly in academics than sports!

I don't know where you go to, but in all schools i have been, even if you give the wrong answer in a class no one moaned about it. thing is the reason people don't like academics is because they don't get it, don't like homework, get bad grades, and overall prefer gym. Not because people are jerks.

I always thought gym class was a waste of my time. If i'll excersise i'll do it on my own having, without anyone forcing me to do it. I love Canada for that reason, they only require 1 Gym credit (go Canada :Canada: ), you don't know how happy i was when i learned that. They asked me if i wanted gym my response was an immidiate NO! :awesome:

I agree. Most people do not exercise by themselves, and if forcing them to exercise for 30 minutes a day is the only way to get them to do so, then that's what we should do.
Just because you like gym and worry about their excersise doesn't give you the right to force others. If they want to excersise and they worry about their shape then help them. If you are worried about the cost and impact obesity could have on society, cut the help for those problems. Honestly, i don't think riding a bike, or swimming, or running, or playing some other sport is horrible. What i think its horrible its being forced to do it 5 days a week.

I resently read an article about how some of ~30 years olds in my country are in ill shape. Reason? They were forced to do all kinds of sports in school and hated it -> Hated sports in general -> not doing sports since school ended. As a result of 10 years of not doing sports, their health is fucked. Lesson to learn? Promote sports, dont force them. At some point of their life those people will start to care about their healthyness. Without mental reasons to hate sports they would actually do something about it instead of getting fat and stuff.

I resently read an article about how some of ~30 years olds in my country are in ill shape. Reason? They were forced to do all kinds of sports in school and hated it -> Hated sports in general -> not doing sports since school ended. As a result of 10 years of not doing sports, their health is fucked. Lesson to learn? Promote sports, dont force them. At some point of their life those people will start to care about their healthyness. Without mental reasons to hate sports they would actually do something about it instead of getting fat and stuff.

I highly doubt it's that simple.

Anyway, at the topic I'm kind of iffy on the idea. I don't like the idea of physical activity stuff in school. I don't even like that a gym course is a graduation requirement.

Some people don't like writing or math to be graduation requirements either. However, physical health is as much a necessity in a happy life as any of the others.

At least the odds are better :awesome:

I'm not even sure what you're talking about when you say that, but my guess is: no. There are a lot of reasons people in their 30s might be unhealthy, not including changing societal norms, more processed foods, busier lifestyles, etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Crystal Shards