Hurricane Irene

Deliriyum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Connecticut. The eye is meant to hit Shelton, which isn't too far away from me.

I'm scared out of my mind, since I live in the middle of nowhere in a dead end street surrounded by trees.

Not anywhere near it, but I am wondering what will happen in New York. There was some worry about the winds near the top of the skyscrapers since wind increases the higher up you go in cities.

I probably just escaped it, having moved into my apartment at school (much further inland) before it hits where I usually live.

The funny bit was going to the hardware store to buy a generator so that my mom could take it back home with her (naturally there isn't a single one left in the state of New Jersey anymore) only to find that everyone else from the east coast with a kid going to school here had the exact same idea. There was only one left, because we had called ahead to reserve it.

I sure hope my house doesn't get too owned, though, that'd suck for my family.

Wisconsin? Like, in-the-Midwest Wisconsin? Wha? That doesn't make any sense.

Or did you mean somewhere else?

I heard, after a quick google search, looks like the person that told me that is an asshole that doesnt know what he's talking about.

Hahaha, how the tables have turned. We Texans got a bad rep for natural disasters and now they come for east coasters.

Seriously though, let me share some Waha Wisdom:

-Buy a generator for god's sake. With a generator, you can have light, you can cook, and you can listen to weather updates via radio.

-Stock up up on clean water (bottled water) and ice now. They will be more and more overpriced and scarce the longer you wait.

-Fill up your cars and trucks with gas. Fill up gas containers if you can. Post hurricane is not when you want to buy gas.

-Obviously, stock up on food. Preferably food that does not require cooking and does not spoil quickly.

-Do not go outside to check on things unless you have been cleared by officials. A storm may appear to be calm one second and in the next it will take your life.

-First aid kits are crucial, stock up on at least 1 per 2 people. Familiarize yourself with how to use it.

-The bathroom is the safest room in the house. Period. Never stay in a room with unsecured windows, though even secured windows can cause harm.

-Stay at least two stories up. If you live in a one story house or live on the ground floor of an apartment, try to find someone else to stay with.

-Learn how to swim if you don't already and possibly get some flotation devices to aid those who can't swim.

-Don't go near power lines retards! I can't tell you how many people die because of this.

-Board or tape up your windows to prevent glass shards from flying around everywhere.

-If you're evacuating, you're a retard. You'll be stuck in traffic and die on the road from dehydration. If you're going to the airport, you'll be stuck there since flights will likely be canceled/delayed and you'll be stuck in an extremely hostile and anxious crowd (trust me, when humans get desperate, even the best will not be afraid to resort to robbery). If you've already successfully evacuated, congrats.

This is a category 1 hurricane, so you'll likely only experience up to 8 feet of flooding and strong winds. Most of you retards will be okay, but it doesn't hurt to play it safe.

Source: Believe me or not, but my father is a shelter leader. I picked up a lot from him. I've also lived through Hurricane Ike. Don't call me by my screen name.

Edited by Knitty

Haha, stupid people living in places where you can get hit by hurricanes. Here in the Rockies, we only have to worry about the potential for massive earthquakes and a certain supervolcano exploding!

If it's really a SUPERvolcano, it will likely get everyone thanks to the enormous amount of ash expelled over the world. I hear there's one in Indonesia...uh oh.

I hear there's one in Yellowstone, which would basically obliterate me. If one went off in Indonesia, there would at least be a chance of me surviving.

I've heard so much about Yellow Caldera its not funny. Seriously guys, we've got more pressing things to worry about.

If Yellowstone were to erupt, there would be plenty of warning signs.

I'm likely going to lose power sometime tonight or tomorrow.

I've heard so much about Yellow Caldera its not funny. Seriously guys, we've got more pressing things to worry about.

If Yellowstone were to erupt, there would be plenty of warning signs.

I'm likely going to lose power sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Volcanos have warning signs? I seem to remember one of America's top-rated towns for living in getting obliterated by a volcano a decade or two ago. Then again, earthquake monitoring has come along way, so I guess it depends on other factors...

We don't know that, technically. We've never experienced a supervolcano erupting. But odds are there would be. Not that that would do much. There would be a mass exodus from western North America that would be hell to go through, and from there you just deal with hundreds of cubic miles of ash being thrown into the atmosphere.

I wonder what kind of effect this will have on the forums. It looks like we could lose quite a few members from this for... however long they're without power/internet.

We don't know that, technically. We've never experienced a supervolcano erupting. But odds are there would be. Not that that would do much. There would be a mass exodus from western North America that would be hell to go through, and from there you just deal with hundreds of cubic miles of ash being thrown into the atmosphere.

I wonder what kind of effect this will have on the forums. It looks like we could lose quite a few members from this for... however long they're without power/internet.

That's mad cold. Communities are not meant to live in isolation. I believe that the watchers should be allowed to be involved as best they want. I like the idea of lurkers, in fact! If only they would say hi!

My sister lost her phone service while we were talking to her this morning. Either that, or her phone died, which knowing her is entirely possible. She's pretty far inland, so she didn't get anything too bad, but it looks like it was enough to do that.

Well as for yellowstone, sometimes people just don't wanna believe much when people try telling them something will happen but hopefully there can be enough warning from that so that people may actually try to listen and evacuate. Although there'll be a lot of people to move because the supervolcano would affect such a huge area. There'd be so much traffic and what if it takes too long? Cause it'd probably waste enough time just to just find the right signs. But then we don't know how quickly it would take for this thing to go after the earthquakes and acidity and all that stuff will develop. Sooooooooo idk

Hang in there people, at least Irene's a tropical storm now! And hopefully nobody's gotten too much damage when it was stronger =[

Do they still do much damage as a tropical storm? I mean idk if its currents are still in the low 70s or now in the 60s or not... But I've gotten 60 mph winds before and while they definitely did some damaage it never seemed that much to me. But these are constant winds that can even change direction so it may be way worse than what I've gone through... And I guess there's still the flooding problem.

How is it there now? Here in Sweden we haven't had a real hurricane... since 2004 IIRC.

You can't have hurricanes in sweden as hurricanes, by definition, form over the mid atlantic ocean near the equator.

Volcanos have warning signs? I seem to remember one of America's top-rated towns for living in getting obliterated by a volcano a decade or two ago. Then again, earthquake monitoring has come along way, so I guess it depends on other factors...

If you are talking about the Mt St Helens disaster, there were quite a few warning signs for that.

The one in yellowstone is in the same category as the one in Lake Toba, which eradicated 60% of the human population at the time. Not that these things ever do much. This figure was not only from the eruption, but also from the volcanic winter that resulted because of the ash blocking out the sun. With today's technology, 60% of the world's population is not at risk, but I can certainly see 10%, and many economies will be ruined.