How hard is FE6?

Cresneta

I haven't played FE6 yet, and I'm trying to decide whether I'm good enough to beat it or not before I get it. In comparison to the other Fire Emblem games that are out in America, how does FE6 normal mode rank when compared to the other normal modes? I've heard that it's hard, but is it a lot harder than the ones that are out in English or just a little bit harder? Please let me know whether or not you are assuming that glitch/arena/boss abuse and the like was used in making this judgement.

FE6 Normal Mode is pretty tame, in my opinion, but overall, I think it's more of a challenge than FE7 as a whole, except for maybe HHM.

Even then, I think that it's a far cry from a really difficult FE as opposed to some earlier games.

To be honest, while FE6 Normal mode is harder than the Normal modes of FE7/8, it's still a walk in the park when you compare it to the brutality that is HM. And this is coming from somebody who beat FE6 HM to the bitter end using several shitty characters(namely incorporating an armor knight into the group.) Normal mode's easy enough that you can have a fun time and basically use anyone(well, except Wendy and Sophia), but it is still fairly annoying as hit rates aren't as high as they are in FE7 and enemies know what avoid is(compared to FE7 where enemy AS barely rose above 10 even in HHM and had 0 luck on top of that.) Also, Chapters 7 and 21 can be a motherfucking bitch even in Normal mode.

And don't let me get started on HM. Even in the first chapter the game is telling you 'Ok noob, you had your fun in NM, now we're done fucking around and it's time to get serious.' It makes HHM look like FE9 HM in comparison FFS.

Edited by James

I've played all of the games, and FE6 is a pretty good difficulty. It's pretty well all-around. It's normal mode carries a good pacing, and the RNG acts in such a way that your accuracies and percentages are more visceral. You can actually depend on the numbers to do what they say. I never gave Hard Mode much of a push, but others seem to like it.

I say give it a try. You'll probably really like it if you haven't before....

.... I miss the feel of an entirely new Fire Emblem :(

As others have said FE6 is more annoying than hard. Only problems I have with it is bad rng, the requirement for the side quest being crucial to finishing the game, and imo the game starts a little slow.

Fire Emblem 6 HM is only brutally difficult on a few early and a few late maps. Units have easy access to full avoid supports, and enemy hit rates become terrible once they start using Steel.

Late maps aren't really tough since you have the full benefit of supports by that point. Even someone like Wade can be a dodgemaster between WT, support bonuses and terrain.

Late maps aren't really tough since you have the full benefit of supports by that point. Even someone like Wade can be a dodgemaster between WT, support bonuses and terrain.

I'd assume he was talking about status staves, as others have mentioned. 29 magic druids (or whatever they are) tend to have rather high hit rates with those things even at their maximum range.

• 2 weeks later...

The game was pretty easy on NM.

Then again, I arena-abused (for Sophia, mainly. :D Female Druid sprites look awesome) on the last arena a little bit. But honestly, it's not like I wouldn't have beaten then game without it...

I need to beat it again normally to unlock HM (I'm playing on my DS now), and then beat HM to feel accomplished. If anyone has a .sav with the secret characters and trial maps unlocked, though, I would greatly appreciate it (takes too long to do on my own haha). I've always wanted to use Zephiel.

• 1 month later...

Don't expect to complete chapters as quickly in FE6 as you could in, say, FE7. I'm only up to 12x so far, but I noticed that some of the chapters take a pretty long time to complete, such as chapter 8.

On the other hand, if you care about Rank, FE6's Tactics rating is more lenient than FE7's; for one thing, you don't have to worry about Tactician stars since there is no Tactician, and for another, you're allowed 630 turns to complete the game (compared to FE7's 300 or so on the main story). Since there are about 30 chapters including the gaidens in FE6, that comes down to about 20 turns per chapter.

And watch out for enemy reinforcements; they spawn at the beginning of the enemy phase, not the end.

The bosses are, honestly, an absolute pain at first, since they're so hard to hit. Once you start building Supports and gaining Skill, Speed, and Luck, they will become less of a pain.