Insect Mania

Cain Magnus

[if you get extremely grossed out by the mere mention of insects, then I'd suggest that you push the back button...]

This whole week for me has been freaky with insects...mainly roaches.

Last Friday, I was outside helping my dad and brother cut down a rotten tree in our backyard, which I was also multitasking with mowing the lawn. When the time for me to start mowing again, I saw my dad chainsaw the rest of the tree after all the limbs and all have been chopped off. The moment he chopped it in half with the chainsaw and when I passed by with the lawnmower, hundreds of huge...and I mean HUGE roaches, along with a big, lone lizard (What the hell? Where did HE come from?) came scattering out of the tree and spreading all out in the yard. It was like a horror movie.

Then tonight merely 30 minutes ago, I was in the kitchen fixing a late night snack when when two big spiders (Not that big. Maybe about an inch and a half long...maybe just an inch) were crawling on the floor and nearly creeped me out, as we never have any larger than a small bean in the house. After eventually killing them, I saw a pretty big roach by the sink, which I got the Raid spray and shot the crud out of it...but the bastard didn't die! If anything, he shook it off and dashed on the wall. So I grabbed all kinds of crap and smacked him with them, but...he still didn't die! Usually when I smash a roach, he/she dies instantly. But he eventually fell on the floor before I killed him with a great big stomp (Tales of Symphonia Eagle Dive, anyone?). So now we have indestructible roaches...?

Man, stuff's been weird, yo. Anyone else have insect troubles? (Yeah, this can be a general insect thread)

Ah, yes, roaches. . .

My favorite method of disposal is Pine-Sol. Smells good and usually kills them. Everyone in my area is proficient in Fly Swatter, Rolled-Up Newspaper, and Rubbah Slippah, because roaches suck.

aw, you should've warned about spiders too, since they're no insects!

spiders are my fave animals, so when you are talking about killing them, I can't help but feel sad :(

This.

As for roaches, when it's the small kind I can stomach using my hand for it. Wash afterwards though, too icky not to.

When the atomic war comes, it's gonna be roaches VS ants, I'm rooting for the ants.

Im arachnophobic, so when I see spiders I usually scream and run LOL. I usually cant kill them i just run. Roaches on the other hand, Im pro at killing them except the flying ones which are annoying :).

Im arachnophobic, so when I see spiders I usually scream and run LOL. I usually cant kill them i just run. Roaches on the other hand, Im pro at killing them except the flying ones which are annoying :).

roaches can fly? never seen that before...

but than again, I've only seen roaches in the zoo.

I'm more pro at killing mosquito's, they really seem to like me >.<

(smashing them on the wall is easy, but grabbing them out of the sky with your bare hands takes some skill!)

Lol at how it wouldn't die xD

I can usually tolerate most bugs when I see them, but when I see roaches, I shrink away...

But I don't like killing any little buggers. No matter how small their lives appear compared to something like a deer or a cute cute little bunny, I hate the thought of taking away those little lives. =/ ("=/" because it's so different from how everyone else thinks and so I know that'll make me "weird" but just the thought of taking away a life, no matter how small... I just abhor it and the thought of it)

If a bug gets in my way, then if there's like a whoooooole bunch of them, then I'd rather they were dead because there's no other way I can think of getting rid of them. But if there's one solitary little bug (which ends up turning into an infestation anyway =[) then I'll either ignore it, or if it's in the way or on top of something I need to grab, then I'll just try move it out of the way.

But when I try to move them I often hurt them and if they're just laying there writhing and look like they can't move/flee, then it makes me very upset and I end its misery. That, and if there are a lot of them, is the only time you'll see me killing a little buggy.

Spiders, I can usually tolerate pretty well. Mainly it's just the roaches/cockroaches (except for those little bitty baby sized ones) that make me cringe just by looking at them. (Those, I usually always end up killing, because in my childhood I've had many houses that were full of cockroaches and so I kill them to try make them not multiply as much/quickly, but that means I also kill the babies which still makes me very sad =[ I mean I'm sad to kill adult cockroaches too but the babies.... Aaawwwwwww)

roaches can fly? never seen that before...

but than again, I've only seen roaches in the zoo.

(smashing them on the wall is easy, but grabbing them out of the sky with your bare hands takes some skill!)

Yes. Actually, many species of roaches have wings.

Lol at how it wouldn't die xD

I can usually tolerate most bugs when I see them, but when I see roaches, I shrink away...

But I don't like killing any little buggers. No matter how small their lives appear compared to something like a deer or a cute cute little bunny, I hate the thought of taking away those little lives. =/ ("=/" because it's so different from how everyone else thinks and so I know that'll make me "weird" but just the thought of taking away a life, no matter how small... I just abhor it and the thought of it)

If a bug gets in my way, then if there's like a whoooooole bunch of them, then I'd rather they were dead because there's no other way I can think of getting rid of them. But if there's one solitary little bug (which ends up turning into an infestation anyway =[) then I'll either ignore it, or if it's in the way or on top of something I need to grab, then I'll just try move it out of the way.

But when I try to move them I often hurt them and if they're just laying there writhing and look like they can't move/flee, then it makes me very upset and I end its misery. That, and if there are a lot of them, is the only time you'll see me killing a little buggy.

Spiders, I can usually tolerate pretty well. Mainly it's just the roaches/cockroaches (except for those little bitty baby sized ones) that make me cringe just by looking at them. (Those, I usually always end up killing, because in my childhood I've had many houses that were full of cockroaches and so I kill them to try make them not multiply as much/quickly, but that means I also kill the babies which still makes me very sad =[ I mean I'm sad to kill adult cockroaches too but the babies.... Aaawwwwwww)

You have a sweet heart.

I feel your pain. I found myself to say "sorry" every time I squish a mosquito. any other creature I catch and put it outside.

every time someone says "look, a spider" or "eek, a spider" or something, I usually say "aw, what a cute one" (but in Dutch, obviously)

I feel your pain. I found myself to say "sorry" every time I squish a mosquito. any other creature I catch and put it outside.

every time someone says "look, a spider" or "eek, a spider" or something, I usually say "aw, what a cute one" (but in Dutch, obviously)

Yes I tend to look at a spider and admire its cuteness as well xD

Edited by Freohr Datia

aw, you should've warned about spiders too, since they're no insects!

spiders are my fave animals, so when you are talking about killing them, I can't help but feel sad :(

Earlier on today one of my brothers tried to drown a spider, but it twas taking too long to die, so he crushed it with a measuring jug...

You have mosquitoes in Holland?

Earlier on today one of my brothers tried to drown a spider, but it twas taking too long to die, so he crushed it with a measuring jug...

aw, you big bully :(

You have mosquitoes in Holland?

only small ones that don't carry any human diseases. But still when they sting you, it still itches like hell sometimes.

I think the reason why I love insects is because they're so diverse and interesting. Like, they go from pretty (Butterflies and moths), to gross (Flies, maggots, most larvae, cockroaches), to holy shit scary (Wetas, Rhinocerous Beetles, wasps), to small (Gnats, Fairy Flies), to aquatic (Whirligig Beetles, Pond Skaters, Waterbugs), and then to cute (Ladybugs, Orchid Manti). It's freaking amazing.

Anyway, I used to have bad Waterbug problems in my home. Most of the time, I'd confuse them with giant cockroaches and just freak out. Ugh, thank goodness I don't get them anymore.