Ana's Sprite Gallery

Anacybele

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed, but it didn't matter to me in the end. I thought the hair looked just right when I stuck it on Kyle. The result looked exactly as I imagined Skye to look.

I don't want to end up offending them though, Nintenlord.

Seph: His head doesn't look that big to me. Hair isn't actually part of the head, by the way. It's attached to the head.

people have said my customs look very good.

Would those people happen to be from FEP's roleplaying crowd? The folks that like anything so long as it vaguely resembles an RP character? FEPlanet, despite being a media center and having a Lyn sheet on site with no fewer than 90 colors, sets the bar pretty dang low. You need to practice by taking apart and putting together the existing portraits in order to get a better grasp on angles, proportion, and shading before you start doing any legitimate custom work. Alternatively, if you have any experience drawing the human figure (i.e., have taken life drawing classes and have drawn from live human models; anime/game fanart does not count), then you could skip ahead... but I'll be honest; your sprites give me doubts about that.

What's wrong with the proportions? No one's said there was anything wrong with them until you brought it up and lots of people have commented on my mugs.

Alright, let's use Bryan as an example.

The typical human head is shaped like an egg, an oval. Keeping that in mind, I made a generalization of how I'd think this guy's head would be shaped. Ephraim's on a weird angle, so you have to keep the tilt in mind. Canas and Ephraim are not on the same angle. As a result, I see this when I'm trying to figure out the current shape of his head.

And that's just the head. The chest itself has at least two different angles; a 3/4ths tilting to our left, a 3/4ths not tilting, the scarf has a bit of facing-right-at-us... Compounded with the flat shading on his chest, it makes for a sloppy job.

And then we get to the shoulders, which are their own myriad of angles. And the halberdier pads... look at the one on our right. The shading makes it looks like it's pinching his shoulder in a way that he might as well be an amputee. Here's an important point about shading: on most surfaces, the human eye sees a sudden change from light to dark as a bend. So, combined with the shape, there's at least a 45 degree bend going into his shoulder, which is why I said it's pinching him. To be honest, you could lose the trim on the shoulder pad and you'd have an abstract shape of a banana.

On the topic of the trim... look, if it's that thin, just mimic what Kent and Sain have going on. Thin trim is about the only time you can get away with pillow shading... on which note...

Lastly, I know very well I shouldn't pillow-shade. I do my best to avoid it.

Do, or do not. There is no try. Want to figure out how to shade something? Look at the reference material. Ideally, the best place to start is trying to mimic the shading of FE7's portraits, if you're going to go GBA style. Lighting's softer and from the front. It'd probably work a lot better for you than FE8's harsh, dynamic lighting.

And I'll end this by saying that I agree with what has been said about the color choices. Not enough contrast and too saturated, which further detracts from the quality of your sprites. You are not ready to make your own colors.

Also, when you use someone else's sprites in your sig, it's customary to say, in the sig, that they made it. Hint hint.

Edited by The Blind Archer

Seph: His head doesn't look that big to me. Hair isn't actually part of the head, by the way. It's attached to the head.

Hair doesn't form that way if it's that long, kid~

Gravity exists, whether you realize it or noooooot~

So yes, he must have a huge head, or he has magical gravity defying hair :3

Would those people happen to be from FEP's roleplaying crowd? The folks that like anything so long as it vaguely resembles an RP character? FEPlanet, despite being a media center and having a Lyn sheet on site with no fewer than 90 colors, sets the bar pretty dang low. You need to practice by taking apart and putting together the existing portraits in order to get a better grasp on angles, proportion, and shading before you start doing any legitimate custom work. Alternatively, if you have any experience drawing the human figure (i.e., have taken life drawing classes and have drawn from live human models; anime/game fanart does not count), then you could skip ahead... but I'll be honest; your sprites give me doubts about that.

I realize this. I did exactly what you're saying here when I started out, actually. And I do have experience drawing people. I have taken drawing classes more than once. And some of those people were from FEPlanet, yes, but some were also from DA and other sites.

The typical human head is shaped like an egg, an oval. Keeping that in mind, I made a generalization of how I'd think this guy's head would be shaped. Ephraim's on a weird angle, so you have to keep the tilt in mind. Canas and Ephraim are not on the same angle. As a result, I see this when I'm trying to figure out the current shape of his head.

The difference in the angle between Canas and Ephraim is exactly why I changed the hair around.

And that's just the head. The chest itself has at least two different angles; a 3/4ths tilting to our left, a 3/4ths not tilting, the scarf has a bit of facing-right-at-us... Compounded with the flat shading on his chest, it makes for a sloppy job.

And then we get to the shoulders, which are their own myriad of angles. And the halberdier pads... look at the one on our right. The shading makes it looks like it's pinching his shoulder that he might as well be an amputee. Here's an important point about shading: on most surfaces, the human eye sees a sudden change from light to dark as a bend. So, combined with the shape, there's at least a 45 degree bend going into his shoulder, which is why I said it's pinching him. To be honest, you could lose the trim on the shoulder pad and you'd have an abstract shape of a banana.

On the topic of the trim... look, if it's that thin, just mimic what Kent and Sain have going on. Thin trim is about the only time you can get away with pillow shading... on which note...

Thank you, I realize I could make Bryan's armor look better. I was a beginner with custom parts back when I did this one, so yeah. I do agree it isn't my best mug. Thank you for the suggestions. Whenever I get around to fixing the armor, I'll reread your post here.

Do, or do not. There is no try. Want to figure out how to shade something? Look at the reference material. Ideally, the best place to start is trying to mimic the shading of FE7's portraits, if you're going to go GBA style. Lighting's softer and from the front. It'd probably work a lot better for you than FE8's harsh, dynamic lighting.

Alrighty then.

Also, when you use someone else's sprites in your sig, it's customary to say, in the sig, that they made it. Hint hint.

Problem is, I don't know who made the Ike sprites I have in my sig, otherwise, I would give credit. I found the sprite on Google.

Edited by Anacybele

Mm. dA is terrible for feedback. That's all I gotta say.

Problem is, I don't know who made the Ike sprites I have in my sig, otherwise, I would give credit. I found the sprite on Google.

Well, let me put it this way. I wasn't going "hint hint" just for the heck of it.

God, that thing is terrible...

Edited by The Blind Archer

...DA has lots of amazing art. :/

dA is the Sturgeons law of the internet.

Also you imply that just because 10% of dA has good art, that they also give good feedback. I see you don't leave the popular page very often :E

I never said DA was good for feedback. I do think it's good for COMMENTS, but not critique.

And I've seen a lot of amazing art on DA. Yes, DA has shitty art too, but doesn't every art site?

The difference in the angle between Canas and Ephraim is exactly why I changed the hair around.

Which served only to show that you have no idea what you're doing~

Don't know who it's by? DON'T USE IT. Simple as that. Common sense, darling. Really, if you're going to argue, at least try and be logical about it.

"I'm sorry, officer. It said "free samples." I didn't know I couldn't take a whole case of it."

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

Are you calling me stupid?

If I wanted to call you an idiot, I already would have. I'm simply saying that you have no idea what you're doing as a spriter, and you should try splicing and getting the basics down to pat before trying to custom things.

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

I already did that. As I've said, I'm not a beginner and I learned the basics long ago when I was brushing up on tutorials and such. I didn't even start out splicing. I started out with simple recolors.

If I progressed a little too quickly, then fine. I'll slow down.

Edited by Anacybele

Think what you want then. If my mugs suck in your eyes, that's fine by me. You can't please everyone.

Just for the record, when I started spriting, I didn't even start with mugs. I started with battle sprites and simple recolors.

Edited by Anacybele