Ana's Sprite Gallery

Anacybele

So, I realize I had an art thread the last time I was at SF, and I'll recreate that soon enough, but for now, I'd like to show off my sprites. :3 I think I started spriting AFTER I left SF anyway, so yeah. I found I enjoyed making them and I made a bunch since then! I'll divide them all up into mugs, battle sprites, class sprites (you'll see why this one exists), and sprite comics. I still need to work on my map-making skills. xP

By the way, these are all characters featured in my Fire Emblem fanfiction, Fire Emblem: Dawn of Darkness. :] The sprite comics are scenes from the story in sprite form. There's one difference between the two though: the sprite comics may sometimes include dialogue exclusive to them! ^^

Mugs

dawn_of_darkness_mugshots_1_by_great_aether-d2yvru2.png

dawn_of_darkness_mugshots_2_by_great_aether-d2zrbfd.png

dawn_of_darkness_mugshots_3_by_great_aether-d30w6cr.png

dawn_of_darkness_mugshots_4_by_great_aether-d32l6bb.png

dawn_of_darkness_mugshots_5_by_great_aether-d36752s.png

A little clarification on each character: Azura is the main character and lord character of the story. Her starting class is Scout, but she'll later promote to Lord. Her mug is also the first I ever made. Bryan is a pre-promoted Halberdier and one of the two main male protagonists. I know his armor could look a bit better, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it. xP Anyway, Skye is an archer and Bryan's best friend. He's also Kye's older brother. He has two mugs because he loses his hair tie at some point in the story. Marc and Leona are the two unpromoted horse knights of the story. Marc is an axe knight while Leona is a lance knight. The two tend to have quarrels that some of their allies tease them about.

Ike, Elincia, and Ranulf are back! This story is a direct sequel to Radiant Dawn, so yeah. Elincia looks a little different than she does in RD for a reason (if you know me, you can guess that reason). Ranulf accompanies Ike. Ike himself is a Hero again, but this time he can wield axes right away! Morris is a somewhat reckless Armor Sword serving under Bryan (Bryan's a platoon captain in Talgria's army. Skye is also a member of this platoon). Faline is a Pegasus knight. She's also friend of Bryan's and met him a year prior to Dawn of Darkness. She quickly developed a major crush on him. x3

Leyon is the other major male protagonist alongside Bryan and is an axe paladin. He is the leader of Talgria's Royal Knights in the continent of Altarais. He also wields a unique axe called Olegxing. Kiel and Sara are wolf laguz siblings who are actually from Hatari, but after being mistakenly banished, they found a new wolf nation to live in. Lily and Raela are sisters. Lily is the younger one and is a fire mage. Raela is a cleric.

Natalie and Eliot are Royal Knights of Talgria serving under Leyon. They are both Paladins, Natalie being a Blade Paladin and Eliot being a Lance Paladin. These two tend to argue a lot as well. Norman is a priest who studies all kinds of medicine. Kye is a rogue and Skye's younger brother. Lartz is a dracoknight who is actually from the enemy nation in the story, but defects because he carries a bitter hatred in his heart for the country.

Wencelis is the king of Talgria. His class, King Talgria, is equivalent to that of the Archsage class. Louise is his younger sister and her class, Princess Talgria, is equivalent to the Falcon Knight (only she uses lances and light magic instead of lances and swords). Rothgar is the king of Eraghoa, the wolf laguz nation of Altarais. Owen is Bryan's father. He doesn't have a set class. Lorelle is Azura's foster mother. She has no set class either. xP

Class Sprites

These are all my sprited versions of Radiant Dawn classes and more! Note, I also threw in enemy sprites that I did not actually make because I didn't need to sprite them.

generic_fire_emblem_sprites_1_by_great_aether-d3h7f5l.png

generic_fire_emblem_sprites_2_by_great_aether-d3h8b3t.png

generic_fire_emblem_sprites_3_by_great_aether-d3hdmp7.png

generic_fire_emblem_sprites_4_by_great_aether-d3hhhgp.png

generic_fire_emblem_sprites_5_by_great_aether-d3i5zhd.png

generic_fire_emblem_sprites_6_by_great_aether-d3il258.png

generic_fire_emblem_sprites_7_by_great_aether-d426y4o.png

generic_fire_emblem_sprites_8_by_great_aether-d42ctf0.png

generic_fire_emblem_sprites_9_by_great_aether-d49nv5b.png

Yes, I decided to create promotions for laguz! I don't actually call it promoting in their case though. What they go through is called metavolution instead. Basically, their animal forms evolve in a sort of way like animals in real life evolve over millions of years. Only, for the laguz, it's a more magical process that occurs instantly. Their human forms change little in appearance. Also, laguz need a special item in order to help them metavolve, much like all units needed items to promote in GBA Fire Emblem games. I call this item the Satori Symbol (name obviously comes from Satori Sign, of course. That's the item that gives laguz their mastery skills in RD). Also, I didn't do the lion or black dragon sprites because they don't appear as enemies in my story. They will still appear as allies, however. I'm also adding a new class called the blue dragon that only appears as an ally as well. :3

Btw, I did the tiger form completely from scratch. Most of the dragon forms were from scratch as well (the only exceptions are pieces that were obviously taken from wyvern lord sprites).

Battle Sprites

dawn_of_darkness_sprites_1_by_great_aether-d2ughjx.png

dawn_of_darkness_sprites_2_by_great_aether-d2ulyri.png

dawn_of_darkness_sprites_3_by_great_aether-d31zkav.png

dod_sprites__bryan_by_great_aether-d3f2fbf.png

dod_sprites__azura_by_great_aether-d3f53si.png

dod_sprites__leyon_by_great_aether-d3f711r.png

dod_sprites__ike_by_great_aether-d3fa5ei.png

Azura's classes are Scout, Lord, and Noble Lord in that order. She promotes twice. :3 Also, I'm aware Bryan lacks a helmet. He's supposed to. xP I also realize I forgot to do Ike sprites wielding axes. I did give his Vanguard sprite Ragnell though! ^^ I also gave Leyon his trusty axe, Olegxing. It's a powerful hand axe.

Sprite Comics

Here are all my sprite comics so far in order of occurrence from my fanfic. I'll divide them up by chapter. I also realize Deviantart destroyed the quality. I'd use the versions I uploaded to Tinypic, but the stupid site isn't logging me in. >.> Anyway, since these are rather large images, I'll just link them.

Chapter 1

Azura Meets Elincia

Azura Meets Elincia Part 2

Broken Hearts

On to Altarais

The Search Begins

Elincia's Escape

Chapter 20

Cheer Up, Bryan!

Yeah, I kinda skipped waaay ahead when I did the comic with Bryan and Faline lol. I really wanted to do one about them. XD But you can see that they fall in love! x3

Well, hope you enjoy! :3

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by "some polishing"? And by "I have potential" do you mean I'm no good yet or I'm already good, but I could be better? I appreciate you saying so, but could you be a bit more specific? Also, I very well know I should keep practicing lol. I've been spriting for a couple years or so now. ;)

Thanks!

Wow, I personally love all those sprites!

They look pretty cool all in all, the laguz ones are the ones that intrigue me the most for all the details, as well as teh master classes (as I call the third tier class) that you have listed.

If you mix colors, we usually rip out your soul :D

But yeah, don't mix colors from FE's. It usually never works out well.

Alot of the trim is just... unpolished and rough, so you may want to look up how to fix that, and smoothen it out.

A lot of them have an inconsistent border color. Make it so the border is one color.

Ahh i remember these. Hey remember what i said long ago about mixing color palettes? Yeah, dont be alarmed if you have people telling you about that. ;) Its a good idea to use the same palettes as the mugs yer splicing. Like if you begin with FE7 colors, its best to stick with that. I know i had to recolor a lot of my sprites. lol!

I really dig that Ranulf though.

Edited by Florina

Yes, I know. xP I would, Florina, except some of the colors I want aren't available in any existing GBA sprites. Like, for example, there are no characters that have Natalie's hair color. At least not that I know of.

I will try to use colors that already exist in GBA mugs as much as possible though. Thanks. :]

I'm not saying your stuff is bad. I like them in general. Just some of the colors kinda come off odd to me. Trust me you are better at this then me. Just keep at it and I know you will be doing this well with no problems.

Well, I personally don't see what's wrong with the colors, but I guess that's just personal taste. Thanks for your input. :]

No, it's that the hue and all that of your colours deviates from what's considered 'normal' by FE-style standards.

Well, as I said, not all the colors I wanted were available in existing FE GBA sprites. xP

I do use colors from existing sprites whenever I can though.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot one more mug I made! I uploaded it to Tinypic without logging in because the stupid annoying site STILL WON'T LOG ME IN. -_- Anyway.

bhksc4.png

This guy is Kenth, a red dragon laguz. He hasn't yet shown up in my FE fic, but he will eventually. He considers himself a lady's man and is a bit of a womanizer, though not quite to the extent Sain and Gatrie are. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Your color choices offend my eyes.

If there isn't a color you want available in the GBA FE sprites, then make your own, but don't use gaudy paint default colors, or make the hues/saturations as mismatched as you have them. Also, please, whatever you choose to do, don't mix colors from GBA games. If you've got FE8 color hair on a mug, don't give it FE7/6 skin colors. The saturation between the games are ridiculously different, and it looks out of place when the colors are next to each other.

As for the quality of your mugs, you've got a ways to go.

Edited by seph1212

The colors on the mugs look too bright in most of the places, and not the right saturation compared to eachother (I too would recommend taking all of a mugs colors from FE6/7 or FE8).

The battle sprites are pretty sick, and there's a lot of them.

Wow, do you two really have to be so mean? :/

I mean, telling me my sprites could use some work is one thing, but saying "the quality sucks and the colors offend my eyes" or "the sprites look sick" is just plain rude.

Also, I almost never use Paint default colors.

Edited by Anacybele

The colors still offend my eyes. I'm blunt. So sue me.

And not once did I say that "the quality sucks". I said you've got a ways to go for improvement. If you want to interpret that as me saying that they suck, that's your choice.

And I'm not here to suger coat the truth, kid. If you don't want to hear it, then don't post your sprites.

Wow, do you two really have to be so mean? :/

Why yes, I do have to be so honest.

"the sprites look sick"

While you didn't misinterpret me, Deranger meant that he liked them. He was using sick, as in "Those are some siiiiick sprites, dude." As in good. I think

Edited by seph1212

Firstly, can you please not call me "kid"? I'm 20 years old. Second, I apologize, but you still sounded like you had an attitude, if you ask me. I accept criticism, but I don't like it when people are harsh towards me. It makes me feel discouraged.

The colors don't hurt my eyes at all, by the way. Strange...

Edited by Anacybele

I call people "kid" when they act immature. If you noticed, I actually gave you a good suggestion for your colors, but instead you chose to focus on the two mildly blunt comments that I made. If you can't take honesty, you really shouldn't be posting your work here, because a lot of our spriters have high standards, and aren't going to coddle you. They're going to tell you if your work is bad, straight out.

I was a lot worse about it in the past, but don't feel its worth the arguments to go out of my way to insult people. So I just tell them the truth, and if they don't like that, that's not my fault.

And if you'd rather not have me be as honest/blunt as I'm being, fix your mugs. Then I won't have to point out what's wrong with them.

The colors don't hurt my eyes at all, by the way. Strange...

Might wanna get that checked with your doctor, then. When did I say they hurt my eyes, either? I said the colors offend my eyes. They're unpleasant to look at. You really like to twist peoples' words, don't you?

Edited by seph1212

Where was I acting immature at all? And no, you didn't give me any suggestions for my colors. All you said was that they "offend your eyes" and not to use default Paint colors, which I already said I almost never use.

And I never said I wanted anyone to cuddle me. If they have critique, I encourage them to give it. I just don't accept it when I feel they're being rude. And saying "these sprites are bad lol" is rude.

Lastly, why fix what isn't broken? I'm happy with the mugs I've already made. If I take critique and suggestions, I use it on future sprites.

EDIT: No, I don't "twist people's words." I honestly thought you meant that the colors hurt your eyes. And I find the colors pleasant to look at. I really like them. That's why I used them. It's down to personal taste, really.

Edited by Anacybele

Where was I acting immature at all? And no, you didn't give me any suggestions for my colors. All you said was that they "offend your eyes" and not to use default Paint colors, which I already said I almost never use.

The part where you ignored:

Also, please, whatever you choose to do, don't mix colors from GBA games. If you've got FE8 color hair on a mug, don't give it FE7/6 skin colors. The saturation between the games are ridiculously different, and it looks out of place when the colors are next to each other.

:|

And I never said I wanted anyone to cuddle me. If they have critique, I encourage them to give it. I just don't accept it when I feel they're being rude. And saying "these sprites are bad lol" is rude.

Coddle:

"Treat in an indulgent or overprotective way."

Not cuddle.

I just don't accept it when I feel they're being rude.

You're never going to get aaaaanywhere with anyone on this site, kid. Just an FYI. Or at least, you're not going to get anywhere with anyone who actually knows a thing or two about spriting.

Lastly, why fix what isn't broken? I'm happy with the mugs I've already made. If I take critique and suggestions, I use it on future sprites.

If you're happy with the colors, awesome. Most of us aren't, and we're going to be vocal about it. If you didn't want people telling you problems with your mugs, which it seems you don't, it seems like you just want people to congratulate you and tell you that they're good-- why did you even post them at all?

EDIT: No, I don't "twist people's words." I honestly thought you meant that the colors hurt your eyes. And I find the colors pleasant to look at. I really like them. That's why I used them. It's down to personal taste, really.

There's a reason I don't post sprite help anymore, and it's because people like you try to excuse away every problem with "personal taste". Color theory exists for a reason, kid. And you can't excuse the quality of your mugs away with personal taste.

I'm kinda done here. I thought you might've had a backbone, and been receptive to taking critique, but you pull up an excuse every time a problem is addressed. Have fun with your sprites, I doubt you'll improve much. Buh bye.

Please stop calling me "kid." I won't ask you again. If you keep doing it, you will be ignored.

And my mistake, I don't usually mix FE7 colors with FE8 ones either, actually. As for who doesn't like my colors, you can't speak for everyone here, only yourself.

Also, the colors were the only thing I said were personal taste. Don't over-exaggerate. Lastly, I'd never accept any critique from you anyway. You have too much of an attitude.

Crit is crit no matter the attitude. If it's valid, you should accept it for it will help you improve. And Trent here knows what he's doing.

That being said, your colors, are...tbh, kinda painful. The contrast is either too much, or not enough. I suggest sticking to FE-palettes rather than trying to make your own, for beginners. And like Trent said, if you take palettes from FE, stick to the palettes from a single game.

Don't try to custom at your stage. The only people who has even a chance at jumping into customs and doing well with them are artists who already know proportions. Many of your mugs have terrible proportioning (head size, shoulders, etc).

The lines are too jagged. You want to have a smoother line, and instead of pillow shading, learn to anti-alias.

Actually, I'm not a beginner. I've been spriting for a long time and so far, people have said my customs look very good. I'm not saying I think they're really good, I'm just going by popular opinion. And as I've said over and over, I stick to FE palettes as much as I can.

What's wrong with the proportions? No one's said there was anything wrong with them until you brought it up and lots of people have commented on my mugs.

Lastly, I know very well I shouldn't pillow-shade. I do my best to avoid it.

Thanks for your input.

Nobody brought it up because they don't know proportions. Some people thing shitty 13 year old drawn-anatomically incorrect animu is a masterpiece, but it's terrible in reality. Believe me. Shit I drew when I was 13 was unbearable, and yet I got compliments on it. I don't know how.

That being said, a lot of your mugs, like I said, have either too big of a head, or too small of a head. FE head proportions dictate that heads are between 48-51 px high and about 37-40 px wide. that guy with the super bright aqua hair, for example, has way too wide of the back of his head, it looks like his brain's about to pop out. the shoulders should look like they're the same width. Not actually be the same width, of course, due to perspective, but I suggest you go find some references on the internet to see how wide each side of the shoulder are when they're of different angles. Some of your pieces look like one shoulder's wider than the other.

Oh, I believe you, really. Things I've drawn a long time ago look like crap too, yet I got compliments. I know the feeling.

Funny, I didn't do anything to make the hair look like that. I just took Selena's hair, recolored it, and stuck it on Kyle's head. It looked fine to me. Skye IS supposed to have more hair on the back of his head than, say, Bryan, after all.

And I do use references. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll use them more often then.

Edited by Anacybele