Ana's Sprite Gallery

Anacybele

I already did that. As I've said, I'm not a beginner and I learned the basics long ago when I was brushing up on tutorials and such. I didn't even start out splicing. I started out with simple recolors.

If I progressed a little too quickly, then fine. I'll slow down.

Not a beginner? Well, you're sure acting like one.

Even professional artists return to the basics once in awhile, if only to keep their skills sharp. You almost sound like you're offended that I'm telling you to start over. I'm telling you this because I'm interested in seeing quality sprites from an open, accepting, and possibly upcoming spriter - not some cheeky, arrogant, half-assed nitwit trying to pass themselves off as an artist just because they covered the so-called 'basics' a long while ago.

You're making a bunch of pathetic excuses for yourself, and to be quite frank, it's absolutely hilarious watching you trying to defend yourself.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think what you want then. If my mugs suck in your eyes, that's fine by me. You can't please everyone.

Just for the record, when I started spriting, I didn't even start with mugs. I started with battle sprites and simple recolors.

eb6.jpg

Just for the record, that doesn't really matter. We're talking about your mugs, here.

Saying that you practiced a lot and climbed your way upon the steps to become better doesn't mean you are actually any good right now.

Look, you're not territerribad, but I wouldn't call you even remotely good.

You just need even more practice. Don't deny it.

We're not here to bring you down, we're here to make you make you look at what to improve, what to work on and what else to learn.

Saying you're good when you aren't, and then becoming angry (or displeased) when people say that it's no good doesn't make you better.

Embrace the criticue you're given and learn from it.

You may think my "excuses" are pathetic, but I don't see it that way. To be honest, I find it hilarious watching you being rude to me.

And I'm saying that I refuse to start over. I'm not trashing all of the sprites I've made, especially since I'm satisfied with them. They took me way too long to do.

EDIT: I'm only displeased when I think people are being rude to me. And, a couple people in here are being rude to me.

Edited by Anacybele

You may think my "excuses" are pathetic, but I don't see it that way. To be honest, I find it hilarious watching you being rude to me.

And I'm saying that I refuse to start over. I'm not trashing all of the sprites I've made, especially since I'm satisfied with them. They took me way too long to do.

Oh, good! Then this'll be splendidly droll for the both of us.

I never said that you should trash your sprites. I simply said you "should try splicing and getting the basics down to pat before trying to custom things." Exact wording, I swear. I couldn't care less about the sprites you have up right now. You can edit them at your leisure, keep them, throw them, hand them off to the next fellow - whatever.

EDIT -- That was a bit of an odd technological bloop. o 3o♥

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

You just need even more practice. Don't deny it.

Of course. Everyone needs practice.

We're not here to bring you down, we're here to make you make you look at what to improve, what to work on and what else to learn.

I know. And I appreciate it. What I don't appreciate is people being rude and harsh to me when giving critique.

Saying you're good when you aren't, and then becoming angry (or displeased) when people say that it's no good doesn't make you better.

Embrace the criticue you're given and learn from it.

Except saying "it's no good" is not critique.

Just for the record, that doesn't really matter. We're talking about your mugs, here.

In case you haven't figured it out, Trent is an Asshole. You'll just have to deal with it, because he's probably (one of) the best (people) person to get feedback from. After you start taking what he says and actually doing it, he gets nicer.

I was actually kind of surprised when I saw Bryan, because he has the same name as me, and looks somewhat similar.

Except saying "it's no good" is not critique.

I see you ignored Dei's massive post about your Bryan mug ' x'

In case you haven't figured it out, Trent is an Asshole. You'll just have to deal with it, because he's probably (one of) the best (people) person to get feedback from. After you start taking what he says and actually doing it, he gets nicer.

Ilu, man :')

<3

Edited by seph1212

I see you ignored Dei's massive post about your Bryan mug ' x'

Actually, I didn't. I said I would reread his/her post whenever I got around to fixing the Bryan mug.

Jealousy: My mistake then.

That post doesn't even have anything to do with what I'm talking about.

Thank you, I realize I could make Bryan's armor look better. I was a beginner with custom parts back when I did this one, so yeah. I do agree it isn't my best mug. Thank you for the suggestions. Whenever I get around to fixing the armor, I'll reread your post here.

Right there.

Also, I'm going to say this only once more. Please don't call me "kid." You'll be ignored from now on if you do again.

Also, I'm going to say this only once more. Please don't call me "kid." You'll be ignored from now on if you do again.

Lol you said that last time, and look how long you lasted, KID :3

You still referred to all of this as not being critique, which was a bit silly of you, kid. That's why I called it out ' 3'

I've still got major doubts that you'll improve your spriting, especially with the attitude you've shown to all of us towards us calling out your problems. And don't repeat yourself with your "I don't take critique if there's rudeness somewhere", that's exactly why I doubt you'll improve, and why you're still at this level after 2 years of spriting.

Edited by seph1212

I'm an absolutely horrid spriter, and I can tell they need improvement. Listen to Seph. HE is mostlike the best spriter the site has. HE knows EXACTLY what he's saying.

EDIT: And even he goes back to the basics. Right, Seph?

Edited by 13thshadow

EDIT: And even he goes back to the basics. Right, Seph?

Uhhh, nope. Lack of creativity and enough skill to not fail horridly at FCing leaves me with no want to splice ' x'

Even though AK thinks I should, and AK knows stuff about stuff.

You know what? I feel the same way, actually. I have no desire to splice much anymore myself. I'm much more interested in practicing customs. Not full customs yet, but still.

This thread made my day.

Trent is in the top 5 of spriters here, and needless to say, his critique is more than valid.

If you're pleased with flawed proportions, bad color theory, and pillowshading all the way across the sky, I won't stop ya :3

You know what? I feel the same way, actually. I have no desire to splice much anymore myself. I'm much more interested in practicing customs. Not full customs yet, but still.

Good grief, that wasn't the message. SEPH, STOP CORRUPTING THE YOUTH WITH YOUR NONSENSE.

I've no desire to splice, either, but I still do. You know why? Because it's good practice, and because I don't consider myself above going back to basics. In fact, I consider splicing to be even more of a challenge than ever before. Have you taken a good look around at some of the splice contest entries? If you haven't, I suggest you do, and while you're at it, stop by waqwaq's gallery, as well. THAT, my dear, is splicing. It's not simply slapping pieces together anymore. It's a challenge to work with a restrictive set of pieces to create something enthrallingly new.

No desire to splice? I'd like to see you beat some of the contestants at their own game, first. Then you can come back and tell me splicing isn't good enough for you. The elements of a good splice are held together by seamless shading - an aspect your sprites are sorely lacking. The idea of starting with splicing isn't to drop the quality of your sprites. No, it's quite different. It's simply a way to properly acquaint you with the nuances of how official mugs and shading works.

I never said I thought splicing wasn't good enough for me. I just don't feel like doing it anymore is all.

Joerachi: Where do you see any pillow-shading at all? I was taught not to do it and I avoid it.

Joerachi: Where do you see any pillow-shading at all? I was taught not to do it and I avoid it.

eee53e893953ce9ddec93bb8892586ad.png

Cloak, armor

44fa3ef4eaab182b463f1a85f624cd63.png

Arm, parts of the clothing

4d76ca14ecb56ac403d02a272fbc90af.png

Hair (even though it's more banding than pillow shading)

509c96f5a628c8e8810eff0cfedfbadd.png

Chest, forehead

And these are only some of your pillow shaded sprites, if I took the time to look back at all of them with a bit more effort, I'm pretty sure I'd see the effects of pillow shading in all of them, somewhere.

And almost all of your custom work has no definite light source, which is a pretty big problem.

I never said I thought splicing wasn't good enough for me. I just don't feel like improving anymore is all.

Oh, and, you made a typo, so I fixed it.

Edited by seph1212

I don't see the pillow shading on those mugs. Someone showed me exactly what pillow shading was awhile back and it doesn't look like any of the shading on my mugs at all.

And I made no typos.

Edited by Anacybele

I don't see the pillow shading on those mugs. Someone showed me exactly what pillow shading was awhile back and it doesn't look like any of the shading on my mugs at all.

And I made no typos.

WOW, I was right when I said you needed to see your doctor, your vision must be going o:

And yes you did. Don't be modest, just thank me for fixing your typos :3

No, I made no typos.

Also, don't blame me, blame the person who showed me what pillow shading was. I was only trying to avoid doing what SHE showed me, just like she advised me to.

I'm not saying I can't do better in avoiding pillow-shading, though.

Edited by Anacybele

No, I made no typos.

Also, don't blame me, blame the person who showed me what pillow shading was. I was only trying to avoid doing what SHE showed me, just like she advised me to.

I'm not saying I can't do better in avoiding pillow-shading, though.

Yes you did :3

Don't blame you for following faulty advice and then arguing about it? OH, I'M SO SORRY. I've been in the wrong all this time. Wow, thank you for showing me the error of my ways :|

ec58019e13f3bf03b1f99ce6be50af31.png

This is pillow shading, when something has its light source between the object and the person making it, like the sprite examples I provided from your OP. If you still want to feign ignorance, please take it elsewhere, we already have enough of those people on SF @ ~ @

Edited by seph1212