Ana's Sprite Gallery

Anacybele

That's exactly what the person showed me. I still can't see how it looks like much of the shading on my mugs. But whatever.

I won't deny that I can do better with my shading. Everyone can improve.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly what the person showed me. I still can't see how it looks like much of the shading on my mugs. But whatever.

I won't deny that I can do better with my shading. Everyone can improve.

a55358d630217b80ef81ccae44b93ac6.png

Then you don't do this. :/

You don't do this.

Edited by Kelsper

Because I didn't think it was pillow shading at first. If it is, it is. Sorry.

Woooooooooooooow.

Just wow.

Keep it classy, kid.

Btw Geoffrey x Elincia is the best pairing and Ike is gay for Soren kthxbai

Edited by seph1212

I must admit. His sprites are better than mine. Mine were bad enough I didn't show SF. If I did, I would have been burnt to a Friggin' Cinder.

I'm a girl. xP

You know, it's been awhile since I last did a mug...

Edited by Anacybele

Settle down. Critique is one thing, but things like:

Btw Geoffrey x Elincia is the best pairing and Ike is gay for Soren kthxbai

are more akin to trolling.

Anacybele did appear to have problems taking the critique at first, but it looks like she's doing better now. Just remember, Anacybele, these people may be rough but they're here to help you improve.

see you ignored Dei's massive post about your Bryan mug ' x'

Which is a very bad thing to do.

I would have thought you'd have learned your lesson by now. coffee.gifMake this is a smiley here please.

Ive been spriting since 06 and i still havent been able to move on to full customing. (Mostly because i go through stages where i sprite for a while and then dont do it for months on end.) Since my drawing of anatomy is pretty assy anyway, i am pretty terribad at trying to full custom stuff.

Also, a lot of spriters here are pretty...forward. Its just how they are.

tumblr_lpzv4kj6Zj1qgdycw.gif

I warned you, didnt i?

I am so sorry people have been giving you such a hard time, seriously while Seph was giving sound advise, he could've at least stopped calling you "kid" since you asked =/

But while you can't see it, there are problems with the saturation of some things and I know I used to be unable to see this, but I'm at least improving in that aspect.

But here, let me take this. (I mean honestly people could've tried doing this =/)

(Also sorry for this being so long, just go through it at your leisure)

bhksc4.png

The hair is really really bright, but the skin has really faded colors. They just don't really match that well.

Oh and also it's real hard to make bright red eyes look good xD They just stand out way too much.

In his clothing, the 2nd lightest shade is pretty pale, but that darkest shade is much darker in comparison and it seems to have much more saturation, otherwise it'd look grayer than that.

So you can try looking for these things in your other mugs as well. Hopefully that helps you see that better.

On those part on his shoulders, on the edges of it (idk if it'd still be referred to a sleeve or not since it's... you know, short xD), you don't really need to put such thick shading there. Idk if that'd be what would be considered pillow shading or not, but it definitely doesn't need to be like that.

Also, his hair looks kind of jagged in some places. On the right side, I look at where that shading coming up for his strands (it's like in the 2nd shade, just to try help you see where I'm looking, if you need help with that I'll bring up images to show you what I'm talking about) and they almost seem to stop abruptly. Try make it end more gradually. (Actually, try looking at Marc when zoomed out and look at the way his hair is shaded at the strands, that's more what it should look like) It also seems to be going on in a few other places but hopefully referring to it at all will help you spot the same everywhere else.

The same goes for where his bangs come over his forehead. They look jagged and it usually helps to try add a bit more skin shading around them and it doesn't stand out too sharply that way.

dawn_of_darkness_mugshots_1_by_great_aether-d2yvru2.png

Now let's take a look at skye.

As shown by when his hair is tied, the back(/roundness?) of his head seems to extend too far compared to where his jaw is set. If you look at it compared to some of your other sprites, or just other FE sprites, it can make it easier to see. But because it goes so far out, it also means the rest of his big noggin is sticking out too far as well. Also the direction his face is facing lolol would make it end up even further than it's supposed to be, which I'm guessing you'd understand why that'd be. So that means that when his hair is down, it should become easier to see how the hair is sticking out too far.

Then there's the shading in his hair. The lightest color is way too light compared to the 2nd shade. It doesn't look right when it stands out like that, so try changing one of them to make it a better transition (I would recommend that if you want his hair to look like in the first place, then lighten the second shade a little bit)

I am sooooo sorry for how long this post is turning out, but I've still got more. I also would say that there is a real small amount of that 1st shade. That, I suppose, may be another reason why it stands out so much is because there's a small space with the light color and then everything else is dark.

And then, looking at all of these... They seem to have some shading problems between the hair and bangs as well. There are many parts where there's no shading and they will need that to make it look better!

dawn_of_darkness_mugshots_4_by_great_aether-d32l6bb.png

Natalie and Norman have really really pale hair. That's obvious of course xD But usually with paler hair it's good to use 4 different shades on it because otherwise there's too much paleness (or I'm assuming this is the reason, correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) because the outline next to that doesn't look too good. Also it can add more detail with a dark shade while the rest can still give off the appearance that the hair is supposed to be pale (again, it could just be my view on it I don't really know the true reason =[). If you want you can look at Ninian's hair. Maybe people whose names start with an N all have pale hair =o

dawn_of_darkness_mugshots_5_by_great_aether-d36752s.png

And now I'll say some things on Louise.

Her hair is really dark and her skin is real light. I guess the hair might be more saturated? Idk. But having such dark hair like that with..... is it FE 6 coloring? I don't really use FE 6 mugs as much so I don't know about them yet. But it just doesn't match because the coloring in those sprites are not as saturated and more pale-ish, as her skin is. People on here are trying to tell you to avoid doing things like that. I can understand if it's hard for you to see this because I used to not be able to tell about saturation or anything like that.

Another thing about her dark hair is how it is darker than the outline even. That's another reason why you'd want to avoid that. It also shows like that on the bottom left where it meets her chin/jaw. Darker colors work better on FE 8 palettes, though using really dark colors in general is pretty difficult to make look good.

*Sigh* *huff* Umm that's my fingers talking. Okay I can stop there. I hope that this will come in handy. Again, if anybody has any objections to anything I've said, go ahead and say because I am not a great spriter yet. I'm just trying to be helpful.

Edited by Freohr Datia

wow, 4 pages in one day, new record

This is a response to my response (all the way back on the first page) in case noone has already addressed it (which would be disappointing):

sick is a good thing. It means awesome, cool-- it was a compliment on your battle sprites.

EDIT: Which is still just stating an opinion, which doesn't help. I think the accessories and additions contribute to the third tiers looking epic.

Edited by deranger

Florina: I learned that lesson a long time ago, actually. And as I've said before, I didn't ignore his/her post. :3

I am so sorry people have been giving you such a hard time, seriously while Seph was giving sound advise, he could've at least stopped calling you "kid" since you asked =/

Agreed.

The hair is really really bright, but the skin has really faded colors. They just don't really match that well.

His hair is meant to be really bright. I use Kenth as an RP character, and when I write up his profile, I always say his hair is bright red. And I can't see how it looks bad with Hawkeye's skin tone. Maybe if you compared my mugs to official ones, I'd see it?

Oh and also it's real hard to make bright red eyes look good xD They just stand out way too much.

Actually, the eyes are meant to be dark red. xP

In his clothing, the 2nd lightest shade is pretty pale, but that darkest shade is much darker in comparison and it seems to have much more saturation, otherwise it'd look grayer than that.

So you can try looking for these things in your other mugs as well. Hopefully that helps you see that better.

On those part on his shoulders, on the edges of it (idk if it'd still be referred to a sleeve or not since it's... you know, short xD), you don't really need to put such thick shading there. Idk if that'd be what would be considered pillow shading or not, but it definitely doesn't need to be like that.

Also, his hair looks kind of jagged in some places. On the right side, I look at where that shading coming up for his strands (it's like in the 2nd shade, just to try help you see where I'm looking, if you need help with that I'll bring up images to show you what I'm talking about) and they almost seem to stop abruptly. Try make it end more gradually. (Actually, try looking at Marc when zoomed out and look at the way his hair is shaded at the strands, that's more what it should look like) It also seems to be going on in a few other places but hopefully referring to it at all will help you spot the same everywhere else.

The same goes for where his bangs come over his forehead. They look jagged and it usually helps to try add a bit more skin shading around them and it doesn't stand out too sharply that way.

Alright then, thanks. This is the kind of critiquer I like. Not harsh whatsoever, and very helpful. Thank you. :]

Now let's take a look at skye.

As shown by when his hair is tied, the back(/roundness?) of his head seems to extend too far compared to where his jaw is set. If you look at it compared to some of your other sprites, or just other FE sprites, it can make it easier to see. But because it goes so far out, it also means the rest of his big noggin is sticking out too far as well. Also the direction his face is facing lolol would make it end up even further than it's supposed to be, which I'm guessing you'd understand why that'd be. So that means that when his hair is down, it should become easier to see how the hair is sticking out too far.

Then there's the shading in his hair. The lightest color is way too light compared to the 2nd shade. It doesn't look right when it stands out like that, so try changing one of them to make it a better transition (I would recommend that if you want his hair to look like in the first place, then lighten the second shade a little bit)

I am sooooo sorry for how long this post is turning out, but I've still got more. I also would say that there is a real small amount of that 1st shade. That, I suppose, may be another reason why it stands out so much is because there's a small space with the light color and then everything else is dark.

And then, looking at all of these... They seem to have some shading problems between the hair and bangs as well. There are many parts where there's no shading and they will need that to make it look better!

Hm, well again, I don't see how his hair color looks bad, but I do understand everything else here now. Thanks. :]

dawn_of_darkness_mugshots_3_by_great_aether-d30w6cr.png

Natalie and Norman have really really pale hair. That's obvious of course xD But usually with paler hair it's good to use 4 different shades on it because otherwise there's too much paleness (or I'm assuming this is the reason, correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) because the outline next to that doesn't look too good. Also it can add more detail with a dark shade while the rest can still give off the appearance that the hair is supposed to be pale (again, it could just be my view on it I don't really know the true reason =[). If you want you can look at Ninian's hair. Maybe people whose names start with an N all have pale hair =o

I don't understand, since I don't want to use Ninian's hair color on either of them. o_O Also, I can see now how Norman's hair is too pale, but I don't see any issue with Natalie's hair.

dawn_of_darkness_mugshots_5_by_great_aether-d36752s.png

And now I'll say some things on Louise.

Her hair is really dark and her skin is real light. I guess the hair might be more saturated? Idk. But having such dark hair like that with..... is it FE 6 coloring? I don't really use FE 6 mugs as much so I don't know about them yet. But it just doesn't match because the coloring in those sprites are not as saturated and more pale-ish, as her skin is. People on here are trying to tell you to avoid doing things like that. I can understand if it's hard for you to see this because I used to not be able to tell about saturation or anything like that.

Another thing about her dark hair is how it is darker than the outline even. That's another reason why you'd want to avoid that. It also shows like that on the bottom left where it meets her chin/jaw. Darker colors work better on FE 8 palettes, though using really dark colors in general is pretty difficult to make look good.

*Sigh* *huff* Umm that's my fingers talking. Okay I can stop there. I hope that this will come in handy. Again, if anybody has any objections to anything I've said, go ahead and say because I am not a great spriter yet. I'm just trying to be helpful.

Are you saying people can't have both pale skin and dark hair? Or am I misunderstanding you?

His hair is meant to be really bright. I use Kenth as an RP character, and when I write up his profile, I always say his hair is bright red. And I can't see how it looks bad with Hawkeye's skin tone. Maybe if you compared my mugs to official ones, I'd see it?

The hair can still be bright if it's supposed to, but I recommend taking FE 8 colors so it fits better. If there's an FE 8 sprite with tannish skin then you can take that.

Actually, the eyes are meant to be dark red. xP

Ohhh, well that's also kinda hard to work with, for me at least, since they always end up looking black/flat xD But I guess maybe mess around with the coloring some so that it isn't so bright like that.

Hm, well again, I don't see how his hair color looks bad, but I do understand everything else here now. Thanks. :]

Well with him, it's like two darkish colors, then all of a sudden a light color. There just seems to be too much of a difference.

(Also I read sometime on here that if you take coloring from clothing/armor then used it for hair, that usually doesn't work out well because the way things like that are colored are kinda different, so just in case this is causing some of the color problems, knowing that may come in handy)

EDIT: *actually zoomed in to check out skye more* Okay then, here's what I'm thinking...

Now I see you used 4 shades on him. Don't think that looks bad, it looks fine that way to me. I think do what I said about coloring in more of the 1st shade and then it might not seem as light because when zoomed in the color difference doesn't really look bad... So it could just be that there's little of it.

I don't understand, since I don't want to use Ninian's hair color on either of them. o_O Also, I can see now how Norman's hair is too pale, but I don't see any issue with Natalie's hair.

Oh what I mean for Ninian is see how they use 4 different shades in her hair and try see how they used that dark color around the outline, or as an outline, while keeping the hair (when zoomed out, at least) still looking light. You can reference what they did with Ninian if you try to add a fourth shade. And I agree Natalie's hair isn't as bad, but I think it could help adding a fourth, darker shade to make it look less in contrast with the outline.

*looks down* Wow I had the wrong image in that spoiler XDDDD I'll go fix that then...

Are you saying people can't have both pale skin and dark hair? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Oh nah, for that I was saying when making hair dark... Try not to make it too too dark or else it's darker than the outline, and as for the skin problem you can also just change that to the FE 8 color set. That may help out so it looks as.... saturated as the hair?

I would try lightening the colors in the hair just a tiny bit. If you look at FE sprites with black hair, they can still make them look black while not making the colors too dark, so maybe somehow you can still portray that her hair is supposed to be dark, but still keeping them lighter than the outline. It doesn't have to be too much lighter though. Just use the FE 8 skin tones and the FE 8 outline because that outline is darkest.

So basically for anything you want to be dark or bright, make that mug in FE 8 coloring.

Edited by Freohr Datia

Ah, I see now. Thanks for clarifying. :]

I don't really want to change any of the mugs I've used in my sprite comics since I don't feel like taking so much time to update them (update the comics, that is), but I can certainly improve the mugs I haven't used yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I haven't gotten around to improving any of my older mugs (mainly because I haven't felt like it yet. >_<), but I did make a new one for the first time in awhile.

the_mother_he_never_knew_by_great_aether-d4bu4wt.png

This is Bryan's mother, whom we don't actually see in my FE fanfic (because she's dead), but is mentioned quite a bit. I thought I'd make a mug of her so we can see what she looked like in life.

I added a battle sprite for kicks. Though all I did there was recolor a Guinevere sprite. xP

I still did some custom stuff here (drew the braids and curls myself), but I think this mug is my best one so far.

Her hair is made of spaghetti.

The braids and curls look way too stiff to look like hair ' x'

There should still be some sort of natural flow to them, but... they just seem like hardened playdoh. I get told this a lot, since I don't do it enough either, but googling images of hair you want, and referencing that, helps wonders.

Edited by seph1212

Well, the hair is sitting still. There's no breeze blowing it around. But references always help, so I know you're right about that. Thanks for commenting.

Oh, and curls often do look stiff. I should know, I had a lot of them done when I was getting ready for my high school graduation. My hair looked as stiff as a stick figure when it was finished lol.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, the hair is sitting still. There's no breeze blowing it around. But references always help, so I know you're right about that. Thanks for commenting.

Hair still is never flat straight ' x' Gravity exists, and it will pull the hair shape down into some sort of curve, unless you've got tonnes of hair gel in it.

So you can either try to fix it, or you can throw out another excuse. You seem to give out a lot of those.

Oh, and curls often do look stiff. I should know, I had a lot of them done when I was getting ready for my high school graduation. My hair looked as stiff as a stick figure when it was finished lol.

There's stiff, and then there's squares. And your sprite has squares. Curls curve. So you should get to fixing that.

I'm not "throwing out excuses." I'm explaining why I made the curls look the way they do.

And you do realize I can only do so much to a curl using pixels, right? I don't think there's any way it can look as natural as in those photos.

But if you think there is, enlighten me. I'd love to hear it.

Edited by Anacybele