Survey on Fun

Paperblade

Two more questions here: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28243&view=findpost&p=1733303

You don't have to answer all the questions, I mostly just want an idea of what people want in a game. Obviously, I would prefer if you did, but don't feel compelled to answer all or none.

1. Since you're a regular here, you likely enjoy normal mafia. Do you have preferences on two mafia vs. one mafia?

2. How do you feel about neutrals (such as Wolf/Serial Killer, Cult, and other odd win conditions)?

3. How do you feel about RNG in roles (for example, roles that have a % chance of working/doing something that would change how you want it to work)?

4. Would you be interested in an anonymous game (such as Train Mafia 2 or TotA)?

5. How do you feel about roles that are only useful upon death (such as bomb)?

6. How do you feel about moling roles (such as godfather)?

6a. On a broader note, how do you feel about roles that cause the host to be an unreliable source of information

7. How do you feel about recruitment?

8. Would you be interested in a game in which all players are out for themselves, but do not necessarily have win conditions that preclude them from winning with others (i.e. the game would not just be 16 serial killers who have "You are allied with yourself. You win if everyone else is dead.")? An example would be that they have to kill specific roles, but don't know who that user is.

9. Would you be interested in a game that uses an HP system, and lynches/night "kills" do damage?

10. Would you be interested in a game based off of a card game (you draw a card every cycle, play a card from your hand of some number N as an action, etc.)

11. Considering our community, what do you think is a good size for a game?

Edited by Paperblade

1. Since you're a regular here, you likely enjoy normal mafia. Do you have preferences on two mafia vs. one mafia?

2. How do you feel about neutrals (such as Wolf/Serial Killer, Cult, and other odd win conditions)? They are interesting roles indeed. Hard to play an win with them but they are very interesting

3. How do you feel about RNG in roles (for example, roles that have a % chance of working/doing something that would change how you want it to work)?Depends on how much the chance is of it doing nothing. Although it'd make things in certain occasions rather luck sided really.

4. Would you be interested in an anonymous game (such as Train Mafia 2 or TotA)? No, going to another forum is just a waste of time imo, plus i can't remember usernames/passwords and it just ges annoying just to log on :/

5. How do you feel about roles that are only useful upon death (such as bomb)? Neutral

6. How do you feel about moling roles (such as godfather)? Neutral

6a. On a broader note, how do you feel about roles that cause the host to be an unreliable source of information Neutral

7. How do you feel about recruitment? Its not bad by any means.

8. Would you be interested in a game in which all players are out for themselves, but do not necessarily have win conditions that preclude them from winning with others (i.e. the game would not just be 16 serial killers who have "You are allied with yourself. You win if everyone else is dead.")? An example would be that they have to kill specific roles, but don't know who that user is. Interesting, go on.

9. Would you be interested in a game that uses an HP system, and lynches/night "kills" do damage? sounds kind of weird honestly...

10. Would you be interested in a game based off of a card game (you draw a card every cycle, play a card from your hand of some number N as an action, etc.)eh

11. Considering our community, what do you think is a good size for a game?12-16

Edited by SlayerX

1. Since you're a regular here, you likely enjoy normal mafia. Do you have preferences on two mafia vs. one mafia? How many two mafia games have we had? I'd rather try one where the mafias aren't against each other, but don't know each other either.

2. How do you feel about neutrals (such as Wolf/Serial Killer, Cult, and other odd win conditions)? I feel that as long as they don't get in the way, I'll let them win. EG, Survivor, Early Cults, other stuff.

3. How do you feel about RNG in roles (for example, roles that have a % chance of working/doing something that would change how you want it to work)? Kinda cheap.

4. Would you be interested in an anonymous game (such as Train Mafia 2 or TotA)? I like them, since there's some level of metagaming involved of who's who, but I dislike the being on another board part. Maybe if who they were wasn't revealed on death. That would be fun.

5. How do you feel about roles that are only useful upon death (such as bomb)? I like them, but they seem a bit UP at times. Someone should try a doublevote bomb.

6. How do you feel about moling roles (such as godfather)? Also kinda cheap. Cops are pretty cheap if there's no roleblocker, I'd rather just have a character checker/role pm checker and a list of clears for the mafia.

6a. On a broader note, how do you feel about roles that cause the host to be an unreliable source of information. Explain this more. It doesn't make much sense.

7. How do you feel about recruitment? It could really screw stuff up late game, so I feel it should be early game, or have some counter-act late game.

8. Would you be interested in a game in which all players are out for themselves, but do not necessarily have win conditions that preclude them from winning with others (i.e. the game would not just be 16 serial killers who have "You are allied with yourself. You win if everyone else is dead.")? An example would be that they have to kill specific roles, but don't know who that user is. That sounds fun, but maybe include one or two people that you know that don't need to kill you to win, so you have some trust, you just don't know if the two people you know can work together.

9. Would you be interested in a game that uses an HP system, and lynches/night "kills" do damage? Yes, but maybe increase this to have some sort of like other system with regards to roles or something like relationships. More RPG style.

10. Would you be interested in a game based off of a card game (you draw a card every cycle, play a card from your hand of some number N as an action, etc.) Probably not. Those, like Itemafia can lead to horrible RNG, so if you don't get stuff every phase it can potentially one sided.

11. Considering our community, what do you think is a good size for a game? 18-22 people at max probably. That's with 2-3 subs. It could be less, but not much more than that really if you want actives. I suppose 16 is good for everyone to be active and pay attention.

Edited by arachnidsGrip

2. How do you feel about neutrals (such as Wolf/Serial Killer, Cult, and other odd win conditions)?

3. How do you feel about RNG in roles (for example, roles that have a % chance of working/doing something that would change how you want it to work)?

4. Would you be interested in an anonymous game (such as Train Mafia 2 or TotA)?

6a. On a broader note, how do you feel about roles that cause the host to be an unreliable source of information

8. Would you be interested in a game in which all players are out for themselves, but do not necessarily have win conditions that preclude them from winning with others (i.e. the game would not just be 16 serial killers who have "You are allied with yourself. You win if everyone else is dead.")? An example would be that they have to kill specific roles, but don't know who that user is.

9. Would you be interested in a game that uses an HP system, and lynches/night "kills" do damage?

10. Would you be interested in a game based off of a card game (you draw a card every cycle, play a card from your hand of some number N as an action, etc.)

1. One mafia.

2. Serial killers are nice and all. Cult work in a game with no mafia. Get out, fools.

3. Not interested.

4. Yes.

5. I love these.

6. They level out the awesomeness of town investigative roles. I find ones like tailor, GF, and miller good. The whole partial part, not so much.

6a. As in like messages from the host? I won't play with them.

7. It is a fun aspect of play, as long as it is known that a conversion has occurred.

8. Yes.

9. Maybe.

10. No.

11. 15-18. 21 at the largest.

Definitely only one mafia per game, though I don't mind third parties that work differently, like serial killers, cults, or even thoroughly underused roles like fool or lyncher.

I like them. They add more strategy and make the game more fun, especially if you actually play as them. However, care must be taken not to overdo it.

Also, difficult roles like Serial Killers should probably universally receive a buff in order to actually have a shot at winning, or maybe receive just receive a win condition that isn't as nigh-impossible to fulfill (being the last one alive as a serial killer is very, very difficult with all the crap that goes on around them in large games. Something like "survive to day 5 or be the last one alive" or something would probably be more reasonable.)

Alternatively, something that aids them in actually fulfilling their win-condition - like, for serial killers, having the ability to protect themselves for a phase instead of killing someone a limited amount of times - would be a big help. All the offensive power in the world isn't going to help you if you simply do not have a chance to survive.

Don't like roles that rely on chance like that. It can potentially mess up strategies that would otherwise work perfectly fine. It really just serves to replace skill with luck.

To be honest, I didn't really like those. I prefer to know whom I'm dealing with.

I don't mind them.

I dislike them. Sure, the cop shouldn't be the end-all answer to everything, but keeping the cop from being a game-breaker can be achieved in different ways. Ways that don't involve outright lying to the town.

See above. If the host is going to tell me something, it should be accurate. I'd rather have an action fail completely than receive false information.

It should be handled carefully. Roles like the Yakuza can seriously screw up the town.

Furthermore, if an anti-town recruitment role is present in a game, the players should be made aware of this from the beginning of the game.

Things that can completely screw the town, yet are effectively beyond their control because they absolutely do not have a way to know about them beforehand, aren't very fun.

No, for very similar reasons as to why I dislike multifaction.

Nah. It effectively just serves to give everyone multiple bulletproof vests and generally prolongs the game without adding much to it, in my opinion.

Sounds similar to items, except that you get a new one every so often. The idea sounds interesting, but it needs to be done well.

Around 14 to 18 people, I'd wager. Considering I haven't hosted a game yet I'm probably not the one to ask, though.

No strong preference. Slightly leaning towards 1 mafia vs. town, firstly because it's more likely to be balanced and secondly because it leaves the mafia with more information and power, which I think is a good thing.

If they're done right, they can add to the game. If they're done wrong (e.g. Cult existing) then it can seriously detract. Most of the time, aptly, it's neutral.

That's fine, although players should be informed there'll be elements of luck in the game.

No strong preference.

They're completely fine, and in fact, there should I think be some in most games. Games where everyone can do something (or at least excerts some hidden influence) all the time aren't what mafia is all about.

I assume you mean as in the 'Win alone' Godfather, not the 'immune to detection' Godfather. In which case I'm fine if it's done right, otherwise it can break the game very easily.

As long as it's explicitly stated that there's the possibility, it's fine.

What kind? The Yazuka/cult kind or the mass recruitment games? The former are good, as long as the recruitment will happen reasonably early (day 3 max, possibly day 4 (although I had great fun in Choral Mafia III after getting recruited on like day 6)). The latter are... different.

Perhaps. I'm not really sure.

Yes. As long as there were things to keep it moving quick enough.

Yes, as stated on IRC. Care would have to be taken with balance though.

Aim for 20 max unless you think more is necessary

1. I'm fine with both, though obviously 1 mafia in OC kind of sucks, 2 mafia in NOC also sucks.

2. Fine with it, though roles which require themselves dead to win (FOOL) shouldn't be in IMO.

3. Fuck RNG roles, I don't want my chances of winning a game to be whether or not the Bodyguard works, for example.

4. No for anonymous games after TotA.

5. Quite alright, though it's best not to have too many roles like that.

6. Wonderful.

6a. I assume this is something like Eclipse's role in MotG, in which case hell no.

7. Not too much TotA

8. I wanted to try that before, but couldn't get the creativity, aka YES

9. didn't we talk about this idea before YES

10. this is like that one Smogon game right MAYBE

11. 18.

I do have a slight preference for 1 Mafia games, but OC 2 Mafia games can be good, too. Not so sure about NOC 2 Mafia games.

As long as they are done well and balanced, they can really add to a game. Serial Killer needs some defensive help, and people need to know about Cults from the start.

In my opinion, they are just cheap attempts to balance roles that are too powerful, or simply serve to weaken otherwise reasonably balanced roles.

I remember talking to Kay about this a while ago. Preventing name-targeting is nice, but so is knowing who you are dealing with. It's a matter of opinion, I guess.

I dislike roles that need to die to win, but I'm kinda impartial towards roles that need to die to activate an ability. Needing to die to be useful can be annoying to some players, though.

As long as players are informed from the start that investigation results may be inaccurate, I think they're fine. Investigative roles are very powerful, so having a counter to them is a good thing.

I'm honestly not sure. I've been thinking of a role that relies on this, but I've yet to convince myself it's a good idea.

Players need to be informed that recruitment is possible at the start (preferably during sign-ups). As the game goes on, recruitment becomes more powerful, so perhaps it should weaken as the game progresses?

I'm not sure. Mafia is a team game for the most part, right? I would have to participate before I give an opinion one way or the other.

Not really. As has been said, it only serves to give everyone Bulletproof Vests and artificially lengthen the game, which didn't work well in BS Mafia.

Essentially Itemafia? Again, I'd have to play to form an informed opinion.

No more than 20, if I had to give a number. Otherwise finding subs could prove difficult.

One thing you could do, is say everyone has 5 HP.

Certain actions could do different amounts of damage. Like SK's do a full 5, Mafia's do 3, poison does 1 each round, etc, etc.

That would make HP games a bit more interesting.

The doctor could heal 2 HP back to a person, not protect them from kills. And lynches could only hurt like 4 HP.

Plus the mafia's would all have BPVs.

It's not very hard to think up ideas for it. It doesn't have to be boring in the least.

The doctor could heal 2 HP back to a person, not protect them from kills.

This would make Doctors even more powerful, now that they aren't useless when they don't target someone who would die.

And lynches could only hurt like 4 HP.

The lynch should remove all HP, no questions asked.

Plus the mafia's would all have BPVs.

So? It would still be annoying as hell and way too Town sided.

One thing you could do, is say everyone has 5 HP.

Certain actions could do different amounts of damage. Like SK's do a full 5, Mafia's do 3, poison does 1 each round, etc, etc.

That would make HP games a bit more interesting.

Well, obviously >_>

If everyone just had X extra lives it wouldn't really explore design space very well >_>

Curse you for finding my weakness!

I might have a better opinion of this if I wasn't mafia in the two multi-mafia games I was in.

I hate cults, because I feel that if your wincon is something that isn't with anyone, you should be on your own. That being said, I don't mind, as long as the person in question has a decent shot at winning.

It depends on the condition, as well as the percentage. Having something mediocre happen 5% of the time and nothing 95% of the time sucks; having one of two different things happening adds a little more thought to the role.

Yes, so I can go back to hiding.

Unless I'm taking someone down with me, or otherwise seriously impacting the game with my death. . .no thank you.

They need to be handled carefully. I don't like the idea of "My entire role clears me, lalala", but at the same time, I don't want the town to rely solely on inspection results.

This also needs to be handled carefully. The potential for mayhem is insane, so I'd limit how much damage can be done with this role.

On one hand, I like it, because it forces the town to not rely on "clears". On the other, it puts certain people under suspicion. I don't like that second part. . .so for now, no.

Depends on how it's implemented.

Don't even think it. If I want that, I'll go to Smogon.

I suck at drawing cards, so no.

14-18. Any more is pushing it.

You don't have to answer all the questions, I mostly just want an idea of what people want in a game. Obviously, I would prefer if you did, but don't feel compelled to answer all or none.

Two Mafia is slightly more enjoyable than One Mafia. With only one Mafia, the Mafia's threats are ALL uninformed, so adding in a second informed faction makes the game more interesting. It also makes the outcome more unpredictable, because even if one faction seems to be dying out early, it might end up surviving if the other two factions start focusing on destroying each other instead.

Like my previous answer, they make the game more interesting. However, the neutrals themselves should be good enough for the players to enjoy taking their role. e.g. a plain Serial Killer with nothing but the daily kill has horrible odds of winning.

Depends on how different the multiple effects are. If it's a Mad Doctor, for example, (50% chance of protecting, 50% chance of killing) where the two effects are completely opposite of each other, I would not enjoy having it, and I will be treating it like a Vig role rather than a Doc role. % chance of working are fine though, and stuff like these would help with balancing the game.

Yes. When the players are unknown, skill level from past games cannot be considered. Psych won't be treated like an idiot and Raymond won't just die N1. This means we get to base all of our decisions based on data from this current game, since knowledge of past games won't help at all when the players are all anonymous.

I'd say this is better than the normal games, but it's more difficult to set up.

Depends on the role. I would probably enjoy it, because I would try to lure the Mafia to kill me if I were a Bomb, for example, allowing me to actually take advantage of my role while I'm alive. However, some players might treat it like a Vanilla role whose only effect is activated when they no longer care about the game, which is why I don't like giving these roles to players unless they have some other stuff added to it.

They're good, because they make sure that there are no roles that yield infallible results. Even if there are no Ninjas or Godfathers, the possibilities can still be considered to cast doubt onto investigations (though, it only works when supported by other evidence/logic). So yeah, I really like these roles.

Annoying. As long as it doesn't happen too frequently, and the circumstances appear very odd (like in MotG), it should be fine. And of course, the mod would definitely be considering these when balancing.

I love being recruited! But anyways, I think recruitment is pretty cool anyways, just as long as it doesn't end up breaking the game's balance.

Never heard of such a game before. I'm always interested in trying out new ideas, so I would want to play this. This doesn't mean I would enjoy it though, as I have yet to experience something like this.

Based on past experience, this type of game turned out... very badly. A Janitor is not considered overpowered for no reason. We need players to die with their role revealed to play the game properly. At least, with BSMafia, we learn the role, the faction, and the player/alias (but not both), which was enough for us to continue even though the player didn't fully die yet. If it takes , for example, three phases for someone to die, and we learn nothing about that player until then, then well, I probably will not like it.

Sounds a little too much like Itemafia, which was fun, so yes.

18 players seems the most feasible. I enjoy larger games, but I don't think we have enough active players for that.

-I prefer one mafia if I'm mafia because I don't have the stress of killing off the other mafia almost completely, cough poke legionaries cough.

-I am indifferent. I have been independent once and it was difficult.

-I don't think I'd like that.

-I dunno how'd that work.

-I'm not a fan of the bomb role personally. I think any role that kills your killer is op.

-Indifferent.

-Indifferent.

-As long as the town doesn't know its happening, its fine.

-Sure

-sure

-Sure

-18. Any more and you probably won't get enough people, and still have subs.

One mafia if I'm mafia myself, two if I'm town I suppose... unsure about what I'd prefer as 3rd party. If I'm supposed to answer this without taking my own role into account, no.

I like them as it's a change of pace for the respective players.

Don't like it for the most part. There can be exceptions based on specific roles in a themed game though.

Don't really care.

Indifferent.

Can be interesting every now and then.

As long as it doesn't contradict the rules, I'm fine with it.

Hard to say... I'm unsure at the moment.

Probably.

I suppose.

Most definately if done right.

We'll see as soon as I post sign-ups for SSBBM.

Not particularly. I'd probably join it anyway, but I wouldn't find it any more or less interesting.

I feel thats misses the point of mafia being a team game.

Yes.

Sure.

21 people maximum.

Omitted most of the first questions since I'm hosting a game right now.

1. I prefer two mafia, personally.

2. Not with 2 mafias, and not hidden. If so they're fine.

3. I don't like it. Mafia should be skill, not luck.

4. Definitely.

5. They're fine as long as people don't go "OMG vanilla role, must be scum".

6. Fine, so long as people can take them into account.

6a. I don't like them, but that might be because I was the victim of one. They're quite powerful though.

7. Fine if balanced properly, but therein lies the problem considering they're hard to balance.

8. Yes.

9. Yes.

10. Not so much.

11. 15-20.

One mafia. Two mafias just makes it harder for the mafia to win.

They can be used to good effect, sparingly.

RNG is never a good idea.

Indeed. Anonymous games can be a good change of pace from time to time, though the migration to another board does make it cumbersome enough that I do not like it too frequently.

I have no problems with such roles. I have played enjoyable games as one.

They are a standard part of the game, and learning who to trust and distrust should always take them into account.

Depending on how 'unreliable' there should be some fine print disclaimer in the rules section.

Fuck recruitment. Recruitment is a pox on everything, and horrible idea.

Could be fun, I think I could dig it.

:S Sounds wonky, but I'd try anything at least once.

cf. #9

Anywhere from 5-15, seems like it would probably be a good fit.

2. How do you feel about neutrals (such as Wolf/Serial Killer, Cult, and other odd win conditions)? They're a great addition, and one of the best solutions to break the Mafia cycle (Town vs Mafia).

3. How do you feel about RNG in roles (for example, roles that have a % chance of working/doing something that would change how you want it to work)? No. It would ruin the strategy/skill which is a part of the game.

4. Would you be interested in an anonymous game (such as Train Mafia 2 or TotA)? Sure. Why not?

5. How do you feel about roles that are only useful upon death (such as bomb)? Nothing agaisnt them... although I think only 1 in 6 players should get that role.

6a. On a broader note, how do you feel about roles that cause the host to be an unreliable source of information Same as Question 2.

7. How do you feel about recruitment? They're a nice addition imo, just like Neutral roles.

8. Would you be interested in a game in which all players are out for themselves, but do not necessarily have win conditions that preclude them from winning with others (i.e. the game would not just be 16 serial killers who have "You are allied with yourself. You win if everyone else is dead.")? An example would be that they have to kill specific roles, but don't know who that user is. That sounds interesting.

9. Would you be interested in a game that uses an HP system, and lynches/night "kills" do damage? No. Just... no.

10. Would you be interested in a game based off of a card game (you draw a card every cycle, play a card from your hand of some number N as an action, etc.) That's a hard addition and will require a lot of work in order to be playable. But still interesting.

Edited by Lorddomu

To be honest, I didn't really like those. I prefer to know whom I'm dealing with.

I take that back. The amount of metagaming currently going on is ridiculous to the point where people seem to consider someone not behaving exactly the same as usual a scumtell, and base their own playstyle on that. Mafia in SF is no longer mafia, it's... ...something entirely different. Throwing a few anonymous games into the mix would actually be nice for a change, simply because applying metagaming to those is difficult.

I take that back. The amount of metagaming currently going on is ridiculous to the point where people seem to consider someone not behaving exactly the same as usual a scumtell, and base their own playstyle on that. Mafia in SF is no longer mafia, it's... ...something entirely different. Throwing a few anonymous games into the mix would actually be nice for a change, simply because applying metagaming to those is difficult.

Growing....Evolving...It's...It's...ALIVE!

young_frankenstein_doc_small.jpg

Also, some people (Kay) wanted to know what I felt about the questions. I think I answered her like halfway then got distracted and went and did something else, sooooo

1. One mafia, unintentional crossfire sucks. Appearing too townish and getting killed by the other mafia for it is a real downer =/

2. Neutrals can be cool, but I don't like neutrals that are mostly guaranteed to win and get to play kingmaker with the other factions. Wolves NEED a way to get information, either through an inspect or moling, otherwise they're just a random kill every night which leads into

3. No, there is enough RNG with randtargeting

4. Yes. I like Psych's idea but I'm not sure how to implement it with OC.

5. I don't really like them, but I guess I can see how people might (baiting people into killing you)

6. Moling is fine, usually people act funny or there's hints that everything's not quite right. I actually think moling is weaker in games where it's more than just town v. maf, since a maf moling the town can just bus his whole team and still win, whereas if there's like an SK or another maf, he might still get picked off on suspicions of being town (this actually happened to me).

6a. This was mostly about results that give false night results (for example, eclipse's from EM). They're fun to play as but can be really really lame.

7. I like recruitment, as long as it's not like the EM Yakuza, and people need to be aware of it.

8. I actually am really bad at these kinds of games (I got used as a pawn both times) although they've usually got cool mechanics. I actually found it funny that a lot of people liked this but didn't like question 9, since I'm not sure exactly how this sort of game would work without implementing an HP system or being a joke game.

9. I think this could actually work quite well with a town v. maf game, after putting more thought into it. Rein and I *might* host one eventually (this won't replace MtG Mafia, and it's not Agent Minimafia).

10. This was actually one of the ideas I had for MtG Mafia but I decided against it because it's really a nightmare to balance.

11. ~16-18 seems good considering subs

Edited by Paperblade