Best/Worst in the Series: Round 109

NinjaMonkey

I think that it's perfectly acceptable to disregard votes for unreleased Fire Emblems.

For cases like this, sure. But not always. What if was best/worst design or something and Krom got a buncha votes?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For cases like this, sure. But not always. What if was best/worst design or something and Krom got a buncha votes?

I think it's reasonable to put a "where determinable" clause in. We can't say whether or not FE13 will have good balance. We can see what the design looks like. Votes for the former should not be accepted, votes for the latter can.

I think that it's perfectly acceptable to disregard votes for unreleased Fire Emblems.

Precisely, NM was completely right to disregard those votes, lame jokes be damned.

Though the caluses listed by Darros and RFOF are fine, that was just ridiculous.

Most: FE7. Easy to get into, not all that hard to break class and weapon lines for a victory. Runner up tp FE9 for similar reasons, yet the Black Knight's very existence seems to contradict it.

Least: FE10, no contest. It stinks not being able to use whatever characters you like because their classes are simply statisically stunted, or their bases stink. Ridiculously unbalanced. Runner up to FE11, for ridiculously low (and nonexistent) growths.

Most: FE7. Easy to get into, not all that hard to break class and weapon lines for a victory. Runner up tp FE9 for similar reasons, yet the Black Knight's very existence seems to contradict it.

What do you mean by that? I take it you're referring to his ridiculous Spd.

Least: FE10, no contest. It stinks not being able to use whatever characters you like because their classes are simply statisically stunted, or their bases stink. Ridiculously unbalanced. Runner up to FE11, for ridiculously low (and nonexistent) growths.

Just because a character sucks doesn't mean you can't use him/her. Most sucky characters can turn out, at the very least, adequate. Some (like Astrid and Fiona) can turn out very good.

But maybe you should just read the other posts in the topic on this matter.

Unless you happen to be in the LEA (which is when your "FE10 is balanced" argument suddenly disappears into thin air).

That doesn't disprove that argument, though, since pretty much every FE game has a late joiner that is pretty bad statistically. *looks at FE9 Ena, Lucia, and Bastian*

Edited by Metal King Slime

Unless you happen to be in the LEA (which is when your "FE10 is balanced" argument suddenly disappears into thin air).

Nice strawman. There is no "FE10 is balanced" argument at all. The argument is that FE10 is the most balanced of the series. This doesn't mean that fe10 doesn't suck miserably at balance. It just means that, of all the sucking at balance that I.S. does, FE10 was the closest to balanced that they created. The LEA doesn't take away from this fact because, as others have pointed out, other games pull crap like the LEA as well. But at least in FE10, the LEA got the chance to shine for 3 chapters back in part 1. This is better than anything fe9 Ena or Lucia or Bastian or fe7 Nino or a bunch of other units get to do. A better argument you could have made would have been about Kurth or Pelleas in fe10 and how late they join, as they don't get the benefit of joining back in 1-7 to kick butt and get some good use.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Even without a BEXP dump, Muarim isn't *that* bad in 4-4 because of his monster base atk that 2HKOs most of the enemies on the map. Vika and Tormod can at least be made usable on NM with a BEXP dump. So yeah, NM, your "counter" sucks.

And Narga, as I said way back when, I don't think FE10's balance "sucks" at all.

I'm really late to this, but I just want to throw something in on the balance of FE10, especially since a rebuttal to something I said was quoted.

I agree FE10 is actually very balanced by FE standards. TBH, each of the characters I listed, and some others have, only dominate a few chapters of the game. That was the point of what I was saying. Not that the entire game is poorly balanced, but that, for instance, Haar in 2-E, 3-4, Nailah in part 1, when she's there, and the royals in part 4, make some maps that could very well be really difficult, jokes. This happens in every FE game, at least to some degree, and that's one part of the game series I don't think is balanced. If even for a short amount of time, one or a handful of characters being head and shoulders better than every one else is really unbalanced. However, as a couple of people have said, almost every character is usable, which is a huge jump up from characters like Wendy, and you don't have singular units dominating everything, like Sigurd, whatever Gen 2 Holsety user you choose, Seth, and whoever else. Those are big steps forward on the balance front. I didn't mean it to sound like I hated FE10, or FE10's balance, just that there are some points that were much worse than the rest of the game.

Blahblah, rant over.

Most: FE7? I guess. Prolly 7.

Least: FE8.

And Narga, as I said way back when, I don't think FE10's balance "sucks" at all.

I'm aware. I happen to disagree, as I think the disparity between Titania, Haar, Sothe, Volug compared to stuff like Meg is indicative of sucky balance. That said, I agree with you in the part where you say fe10 is the most balanced of the series.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

I always thought FE6 was the most balanced personally because aside from Wendy and Sophia, everyone in FE6 is at least usable and all have their niches. Sure, the weapon hit balancing sucks, but other than that, I don't see why FE10 is said to have the best balance in the series but FE6 doesn't.

I always thought FE6 was the most balanced personally because aside from Wendy and Sophia, everyone in FE6 is at least usable and all have their niches. Sure, the weapon hit balancing sucks, but other than that, I don't see why FE10 is said to have the best balance in the series but FE6 doesn't.

I don't think it's clear-cut either way. I put my vote in for FE10 but I can see 6 or 7 being people's choices pretty reasonably. FE10 has just as much character usability and niches just like you say FE6 does, though I find FE6 is too move-centric (base level Thany is still one of the best characters for like half the game).

Everyone in FE10 with a few expections are usable. Perhaps not in Maniac Mode where you have less BEXP, but I couldn't really say that for example, FE10 Makalov is significantly less usable than FE6 Barth.

Everyone in FE10 with a few expections are usable. Perhaps not in Maniac Mode where you have less BEXP, but I couldn't really say that for example, FE10 Makalov is significantly less usable than FE6 Barth.

FE10 Maniac Mode is the Japanese name for the English and European FE10 Hard Mode IIRC.