My Embrionic FE8 Hack/Hack Ideas

Yoshthethird

I've been thinking of making a hack... But I am completely alone on it. This isn't something I'll be constantly working on, just as a hobby when I have time. I don't know to much about hacking, just custom animations and sprites an portraits. Still trying to learn events. Basically what I was planning to do was post my ideas and progress for this hack, and perhaps get feedback, advice or ideas from other people (if anyone cares).

Premise

I was planning this hack for FE8, while I understand FE7 is more hackable, I feel it will be easier putting it over FE8 since all the new classes already being available, and the story I feel would be easier to edit than 7. This is where I would like opinions and stuff. I want it to be mostly custom, with changed events and graphics. I forget what that's called...

Story

I have a few ideas for a story, but not too many. There are two lord characters, a brother and sister (yeah I know, just like FE8) but they aren't nobles, they are the children of a famous mercenary who had already passed before the events of the game (more of an FE9/FE10 vibe) and the mercenary group has since then broken up somewhat. It will start out (similar to 8) with the lord characters living in some peaceful country making livings as mercenaries (still after the brakup of the group that was X amount of years before, as some members of the group stayed together) first lord character (the Eirika equivalent if you will) is waiting at home since the other lord is out on a mercenary mission with 2 to 3 other characters. Then something (which will be part of the main story enemy alliance I haven't thought of yet, or just bandits) will show up and cause trouble. So the first lord, the game's Jeigan (who was an original mercenary with the dead father and now their godfather or something), and 1 to 2 friends of the area the live in will fight of the enemy. That's just a little idea for the first chapter, I don't have too many ideas for the actual story of the ehole game yet. Characters, I have a lot of. They are based of me and my family and friends, so I've got a lot (probably gonna change names and stuff). Checking the top half of the acompanying image, is the "Eirika" lord (based on me)who is gonna be some sort of weak, frail, inscure, awkward, novice fighter who was very young when his father's mercenary group was together. I was gonna give him dark magic (which would be more orignal) but light magic fits the char. better, as he is dainty and would have low CON. The axe maiden is the other lord (based of my older sister) is basically a female hector in class, and will show up a little later. The old guy is the Jeigan.

post-4002-053563100 1319420199_thumb.png

Game

Looking at the side and bottom half of the image, are changes and features I want the game to have. I changed a lot of sprites that I hated, plus a lot of them fit right over the sprite sheets so interting them via FEditor would be easy... as soon as I figure out how to change sprite sheets without screwing up the transparecncy. They're mostly asthetic changes, I eanted to change names too. The shaman and druid to conjerer and sorceror respectively, great knight to cataphract (heavy cavalry), nomad (which I'll be including) to horseman. I wanted branching promotions but they won't all be even, some will have more options than others and some will be changed (I'll post branch ideas later). I was gonna change the fighter sprite to a custom larger jorney man sprite since I hated the fighter sprite and won't be using trainees. I was thinking of including the baron class (armored, lance, some sort of magic, maybe staff, idk) if I can't figure out what I'll do with the promotion branch. I made a sentinel sprite... don't know what I'm doing with that since I already plan to use some one else's halberdier. Need ideas on promotions for the horseman (nomad) one will be ranger, but I thought the possibility of "dragoon" (just ephraim and a cutom bow anim.) as a strang dismounting promotion using lance and bow (prob. also a promotion for soldier).

Not all these ideas are final... I would like feed back please... So... what do ya think, people Serenes Forest Fourms?

1. If you want to put up images, use imageshack or imgur.

2. Try to get a basic idea of plot, first. If you don't know where you want to go, your hack's gonna go down the tubes.

3. Main characters based on RL people (especially yourself) are something I'm wary of. Do this carefully.

I love FE8 hacks. Mainly because of the replayability with Skirmishes, Tower and Ruins, and Creature Campaign. That, and the fact I get bored of seeing all of the FE7 hacks out there. I wish you good luck my comrade, because those sprites do look rather nice. If your interested I have a list of class name changes I made for my FE8 reskin.

1. If you want to put up images, use imageshack or imgur.

2. Try to get a basic idea of plot, first. If you don't know where you want to go, your hack's gonna go down the tubes.

3. Main characters based on RL people (especially yourself) are something I'm wary of. Do this carefully.

1. Understood. I didn't to put up too many images, just this one. But when I do, I will use imageshack/imgur

2. Yeah I know.... that's kinda vital. I'm thinking.

3. Also understood. I'll be careful. Thanks

Feedback! I'm so excited!

Don't hack FE8 just because having all the classes in there is more convenient. Only hack FE8 if you want to make use of things that you can only do using FE8. Otherwise, it's just a complete bitch to hack into.

As for the "story" of FE8 being easier to hack into, depending on what you exactly mean by story, it isn't.

Don't hack FE8 just because having all the classes in there is more convenient. Only hack FE8 if you want to make use of things that you can only do using FE8. Otherwise, it's just a complete bitch to hack into.

As for the "story" of FE8 being easier to hack into, depending on what you exactly mean by story, it isn't.

I suppose my explainatary grounds for hacking FE8 were a bit meager, but yeah, I mean I want to use things only available in FE8. Let the record show that I am a noob, and rarely know what I am talking about,

Is it though? Or is it that there's just not as many tools or documentation round? Initially FE8 was actually slightly easier to play around with. Which, it still is.

Is it though? Or is it that there's just not as many tools or documentation round? Initially FE8 was actually slightly easier to play around with. Which, it still is.

I'm just going of my own personal experience. FE8 is mostly annoying because of the world map, and a lack of tools for things like a character forcer.

The world map is one annoying beast to tame; I can't blame anyone for having issues with that bastard, the way the game programmed that was pretty hacky. And that is a game hacker saying so. XD

Today I would say FE7 is easier to play around with due to most tutorials and stuff being focused on FE8; FE8 was easier in a few fields such as how inserting mugshots manually in FE8 was easier than in FE7, due to how they structured the data. Today we lean on tools for that sort of stuff, so I would say FE8's competitive edge would be the oasis of space available for hackers(The empty space is very easy to notice in FE8, and very vast as well) and also the things it can do FE7 can't. Unfortunatelly, FE7 can do a few things we can't yet do with FE8, like CGs, and also the documentation for FE7 is vastly superior than for FE8. Soon enough the scales on documentation and support will be equal, that I believe in. ^_^

Also, nice sprites there. While hacking sometimes becomes more a job of patience and bug fixing sometimes, I think that is surpassed by the sheer excitement of seeing your sprites and stuff in the game. As a hacker which also sprites(Or a spriter which also hacks like I am also called) I know that feeling very well. So yeah, I bid you good luck in your project, and if I can recommend somethings to a starting hacker I will say two things, which helped me to get where I am now(Where that is, you can be your own judge).

1) There isn't such a thing as "too hard" for when you want something. Everything has a structure and a logic, hacking isn't magic, sometimes it is closer to a contest of wits.

2) "Ambition" and "Feedback" are two key words. If your project isn't ambitious, you will find it hard to fall in love with it, and if you can't fall in love with it you won't accomplish much. And if you're not honestly open to feedback then I am sorry but don't go on with your project. For feedback is the way the world to tell you how you're doing. On-going projects which neglect feedback are "Walking Zombies" awaiting to die out sooner or later. So as hard as it is to do sometimes, one gotta learn to suck up one's ego and accept feedback, because from feedback at worst nothing will come; At best you and your project can grow from it.

Hope my words can help even if a bit. Good luck with your project, and I expect to hear from it in the future. ^_^

I thank everyone for their nice and helpful feedback! I've been working on my first custom animation (the light mage lord guy) and I've been trying to test it out... But if it wasn't clear before... I am quite a noob. The custom class of light mage would be going over Eirika, so I wouldn't be needed her, so I just edited Eirika's data to make the class. Which made things easy in a way since I don't know event stuff yet and could test it in the prologue (yknow, cause she's in the first chapter...) But... I need a light tome... I would have kept the class weapon for swords... but I'm pretty sure I would still need a ranged sword since the animation is a mage... So how would I just just replace the rapier Seth gives Eirika, with a Lightning tome?

There is a way without event editing; I believe there was some sort of module which was called "Chapter Unit". One of the unknowns or prologue ones involved editing the starting inventory of Eirika; She starts out with a single vulnerary in that one, and then Seth gives her a Rapier. I remember using that module to give Eirika a Fire tome just yesterday, but it was so mechanic for me that I don't even remember the name of the module, sorry. XD

You could however, if you know how to give an animation to a weapon, turn her rapier into a white magic for the lord to use. Heck, turn the vulnerary into one. XD

And all of these ways consider you just don't get the Event Assembler, dissasemble the chapter, go to the item giving comand, change the number to the number of a Lightning tome, and reassemble. The way dissassembling and reassembling work is discussed in more than one tutorial around here.

Many ways to achieve the same goal, pick your favorite. ^_^

Sorry for the week of waiting everyone. I've been trying to get my first animation ready (and post a video), but I STILL don't know how to change that rapier into a light tome... I've looked around event editing tutorials and stuff... I have the event assembler... just I don't know... Can anyone tell me?

Well now I'm thinking there might me some thing wrong with the animation, I'm pretty sure I altered the rapier into to a light tome correctly, but it doesn't show a battle animation... just the map sprite attack (like when the animations are off) but they aren't off. I even tried to get all the way to the chapter with Artur and use his lightning, but it didn't work still... So I'll have to check that out... Anyone have any ideas on this? Sorry this is more of a help line...

Uhhh.... where would I be viewing that? In the nightmare modules?

Yes, sorry for taking so long to reply. An use FEditor to check what the animations are set to use.

Edited by Dr.Sholes

I faced the same problem before.

Go into the "Class Editor" and change Eirika's class to use light and not swords. The go to "Custom Battle Animation Editor" and use the drop bars to make an animation so when Light magic is used it will play your animation. It gets a little confusing here, when you have the full animation saved, you need to copy the animation pointer, and go into the text file "Battle Animations" in the folder where the class editor is and replace Eirka's pointer with that one.

That should make your animation work.