Fe4 help for a novice player

MacLovin

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rescue the villages, recruit the dudes, kill the enemies.

Here's the biggest advices I can give:

1: Spam the Arena. It's limited anyway.

2: DON'T CHECK THIS THREAD AGAIN. People are going to absolutely LAMBAST you with pairings and proper procedure and do this and pass this down and make sure this guy saves this village. Don't listen to them. Just play the game, make sure all the women get married, and move on. Practically everybody in the game is viable, use whomever you like. Pay attention to the Events and Secret Events pages on Serenes or just use FEWOD if you want to see all the conversations and get all the items.

The thing about Fe4 is that, given the small cast, you can pretty much use EVERYBODY (well, except for a few characters). Each unit is a valuable part of your team, and since you're allowed to deploy everybody on any given map, you should try to use your entire army as much as you can.

Look for a pairing guide, or at least get some help with pairings. 2nd gen. will be ridiculously harder for a novice player with substitute children characters.

Also, save the village(ers). A village will give you gold proportionate to the amount of buildings remaining, while rescuing a villager will give you a level-up.

Play however you like. If you take direct advice, you're going to really slant your first playthrough, which will affect every other playthrough of the game you might do.

This Fire Emblem is all about having that first-experience, and then finishing the game and appreciating everything you did. And then, some players are so into the concept that they play again, using the knowledge they have now that they didn't have then, and experience the game in a new way. If you listen to other people, you rob yourself of your first experience, all the surprises, and your own fun.

The key thing is always try to rescue villages--each village offers gold to the rescuer. The Arena is much more dependable to use. Every character is usable.

Look for a pairing guide, or at least get some help with pairings.

Never listen to this advice.

Edited by Celice

I just read the replies, but -

Why do I get the same feeling that I get when I see a pedophile after reading them.

Oh, and I'm not so sure about the FE guides, I read an FE7 one that did not reccomend using Raven and Hector.

I'll take a look.

Don't look for a pairing guide. Even if you TRY to fuck your pairings up, there are second-gen characters that you basically cannot screw into unusability. Yeah, the subs suck (mostly and arguably in some cases [laylea, linda]), but you avoid having the subs if you pair your women at all :P

Horsies are your friends!

A few things to remember, try to get everybody as far as possible in the arena. Something special happens in a certain chapter if you do and it's nice to level everyone up. Remember that you can save every turn, it's often a good idea to have multiple saves in case something goes horribly wrong. Don't worry too much about pairings, the story generally hints who works well together.

Most characters are usable. However, a few like Arden, Tiltyu and Dew might struggle without a little help.

it's often a good idea to have multiple saves in case something goes horribly wrong.

This. For your own good, you should keep a save of the chapter start to have it work as your typical "restart chapter" function in the other games. Use the other slots however you wish.

At your home castle, you can check who each character is the most in love with. Use it to make sure everybody is being paired. Don't necessarily use it as a guide though.

Watch for chances to have conservations. You nearly always get something good.

Oh, if it hasn't been mentioned, you can see who wants to talk with whom in the lower part of a characters menu. I think it only shows one person at a time, but you can have one character want to talk to several characters at the same moment.

You can also use the unit menu to see this as well. Continue scrolling to the right and one of the sections will show if anyone wants to talk with anyone else. Some conversations are only available for a limited time; more are only available under certain context. You can miss a few special things from the conversations if you never take them.

Only advice I'll give without over doing it is Fin is your friend and since it's a small cast everyone should be equal levels and maxed level at that.

Maxing everyone's level is seemingly pretty difficult. You really have to go out of your way to train the likes of Arden, Cuan, and Azel to max level. Even in a ranked playthrough it's a stretch.

24 characters isn't small. Consider that in most FEs, even though you have a larger pool of characters you usually only use 10-12 of them max. So really, you have to train twice as many units in this game.

SAVE OFTEN, and make sure to HAVE A SPARE SAVE if anything goes wrong. Believe me, it'll help you a lot.

Oh and: Cuan isn't useless. He isn't a exp-stealer Jeigan like Jeigan (orly now), Marcus, Isadora, Titania etc. So don't be afraid to use him in your army! Of course, don't kill everything with him. Use Ethlin, also.

Edited by Lorddomu

Oh and: Cuan isn't useless. He isn't a exp-stealer Jeigan like Jeigan (orly now), Marcus, Isadora, Titania etc. So don't be afraid to use him in your army! Of course, don't kill everything with him. Use Ethlin, also.

I'm fully versed in the ways of your misbegotten Jeigan-loathing kind, but Isadora? What the hell?

I'm fully versed in the ways of your misbegotten Jeigan-loathing kind, but Isadora? What the hell?

She's useless like every other promoted unit you recruit in any FE game, with obvious exceptions.

Blasphemy. Pope WINdell, Marcus, and Seth are the best units ever to grace FE.

Plus saying all prepromotes suck is also saying Sigurd and Sety suck which is simply not true.

Edited by Dark Sage

SAVE OFTEN, and make sure to HAVE A SPARE SAVE if anything goes wrong. Believe me, it'll help you a lot.

How is he not? Kills given to Jagen are "wasted" in the sense that his growths are terrible and he gets fewer levels for the same number of kills (hence giving him kills is not as productive as giving kills to a different unit). Kills given to Cuan are wasted just as much, even if for different reasons: because Cuan leaves at the end of Chapter 3. In both cases, they are a "waste" of the kills given to them... in fact, Cuan is even more of a waste since while Cuan gives no benefit for letting him kill things, Jagen does.

In addition, Jagens do not "steal" EXP. If a unit kills an enemy, then they've earnt the EXP. What EXP stealing should be is when one unit does most of the work to kill an enemy (reducing them to single-digit HP) and then another unit takes the kill. So really, it's characters like Nino who "steal" EXP, Marcus actually earns it.

Echidna, Percival, Seth, Pent, Hawkeye, FE10 Shinon, Callill.................................

Prepromoted units aren't useless.

What about FE10 Haar, Seth, and Titania-they break their own games...............

Lorddomu must've done FE10 with only Nolan, Jill, Edward, Leonardo, Illyana, Laura, Aran, and Miccaih. (oh, AND MEG AND FIONA)

Damn my engrish

I said the majority of pre-promoted units suck. I know Haar (isn't he promoted?), Seth, that-falconknight-from-FE9, and some units I'm forgetting right now, are exceptions.

How is he not? Kills given to Jagen are "wasted" in the sense that his growths are terrible and he gets fewer levels for the same number of kills (hence giving him kills is not as productive as giving kills to a different unit). Kills given to Cuan are wasted just as much, even if for different reasons: because Cuan leaves at the end of Chapter 3. In both cases, they are a "waste" of the kills given to them... in fact, Cuan is even more of a waste since while Cuan gives no benefit for letting him kill things, Jagen does.

In addition, Jagens do not "steal" EXP. If a unit kills an enemy, then they've earnt the EXP. What EXP stealing should be is when one unit does most of the work to kill an enemy (reducing them to single-digit HP) and then another unit takes the kill. So really, it's characters like Nino who "steal" EXP, Marcus actually earns it.

The EXP is wasted on a completely useless character that won't be doing anything except Heroic Sacrifices or smart Rescues and hit and run attacks. Cuan is useful because he helps a lot in many scenarios, like in the beginning of Chapter 1 (not Prologue), on Chapter 2 mainly agaisnt Elliot because of the Knight Ring or something like that, Chapter 3 in the beginning and agaisnt Eltshan later... He isn't a solid unit like Sigurd or Alec or Lex or Fury or Levin or Fin, but he doesn't suck like Jagen.

Lorddomu must've done FE10 with only Nolan, Jill, Edward, Leonardo, Illyana, Laura, Aran, and Miccaih. (oh, AND MEG AND FIONA)

I've never played FE10 actually XDDD I wanna play it so badly, damn it... if only I could emulate/buy a Wii...

EDIT:

Blasphemy. Pope WINdell, Marcus, and Seth are the best units ever to grace FE.

Ha, I know you're joking.

Edited by Lorddomu

I said the majority of pre-promoted units suck.

I think most of us here will disagree with this statement. If you look at FE6, there's only 2 prepromotes that are arguably simply terrible, 2 more that are moderately bad but have their niche, and the remaining 11 are anywhere from moderately useful to some of the best units in the game.

Certainly, the percentage of prepromotes that suck is less than the percentage of unpromoted units that suck.

Edited by dondon151