Fire Emblem Playthrough Ideas Thread

Raven

It's been a while since I made a FE-related topic, and what a fun one it should be.

So, here we will brainstorm playthrough ideas for any of the Fire Emblem games.

For example: Low turns, female-only, bow users only, low level challenge... The list goes on.

I'll be keeping a list of playthrough ideas in this first post. I'll start it off:

FE Playthrough ideas:

Low-level challenge: Deploy the lowest leveled units in your army. Exceptions are those who are needed to recruit other units.

Single-weapon type challenge: Play through the game deploying only one weapon type. Bows are fun, as is magic.

As it is challenge: You make absolutely no changes to the deployment order at any time.

Low turn challenge: Defeat the chapters in as few turns as possible.

Pre-promote challenge: Play through the game using only units that are already promoted.

Zero Growths challenge: Requires ROM modification. Play through the game with units that gain zero stats through level-up.

Feel free to come up with more. Leave out obvious ones like S-Rank runs. Be as creative as you like.

No promoting characters playthrough?

That would work if there were no pre-promoted units in the game, but it would probably turn into a pre-promote run by the end of the game.

female-only

For FE7, This restricts you to Eliwood's tale, of course (lul 11H). I tried it. It's fun, but you're pretty much forced to either mine-glitch or else do massive amounts of stat-up RNG abuse and grinding for Ch13 because you can't buy a Steel Bow yet and Rebecca otherwise can't even dent Boies' armor with Iron.

It probably works a lot better in 8.

Edited by zahlman

Supportless PT (obviously doesn't work in RD).

EDIT: By this, I mean set up your team in such a way that it's impossible for anyone to support.

Edited by eclipse

I think chillacinogirl meant no promoting your characters. So you could use them without promoting them, or use prepromotes.

Anyway..

Skillless Playthrough: Remove all skills from weapons + Characters. In FE4 and FE5 this requires ROM modding.

Speedrun: Play through the game as fast as possible in terms of time taken, not turns.

Dynamic Duo: This one is fun. Make two characters solo the game, side by side.

Two armies: Play through the game, making two seperate armies, Army A and Army B. They alternate delpoyment (Army A goes out on Chapters 1,3,5... and B goes out on 2,4,6...)

No Repeats: Don't let characters be deployed for two chapters in a row.

Noble Run: Only play with characters who are noble. Almost entirely pointless in FE4.

Reclass Roundup Run: In FEDS or FE3DS, reclass each unit each chapter.

No Generic Weapons: Irons, Steels, and Silvers? Pah! Use special weapons only, such as Horselayers and Hammers! (This wouldn't be fun in FE4)

Only Generic Weapons: Quite the opposite of the one above. Only use irons, steels, and silvers. Nothing else, includig S Rank weapons (excludes this necessary to beat final boss, like Narga and Falchion)

This excludes Lyn's tale completely. :(

You could be free to use generic weapons if you have no other weapons available (they all break/you don't have any yet/etc...)

This is also General Fire Emblem, so it's not just FE7.

Edited by Komatsu

New Toys: Deploy the most recently recruited units only (+ lord).

No Heal: Beat the game without using healers and/or healing items.

Affinetic Diversity: Use only one character from each affinity.

Affinetic Army: Play through the game using only characters of a certain affinity (+ lord).

NoRestarts: Play throught the game without ever restarting a chapter (If your lord dies, start the game over -_-).

Edited by deranger

I've seen Mekkah do this in FE6 and FEDS, but I'll say it here:

100% crit run: Weapons are modified to have 200+ critical so that you and the enemies do triple the listed damage. All the time. Basically, anybody who is 3HKO'd or worse normally is now a complete liability. This also means that having high concrete durability is even more valued than it normally is. And generally, speed won't really matter much offensively because as long as you can 3HKO, you one round.

Edited by darkandroid125

I've seen Mekkah do this in FE6 and FEDS, but I'll say it here:

100% crit run: Weapons are modified to have 200+ critical so that you and the enemies do triple the listed damage. All the time. Basically, anybody who is 3HKO'd or worse normally is now a complete liability. This also means that having high concrete durability is even more valued than it normally is. And generally, speed won't really matter much offensively because as long as you can 3HKO, you one round.

Another option is to zero out the RNG (that can be done with a simple RAM hack, rather than a patch). 1% hit guarantees a hit, 1% crit guarantees a crit

Either way, it's basically lol PP-only mode.

Edited by zahlman

Another option is to zero out the RNG (that can be done with a simple RAM hack, rather than a patch). 1% hit guarantees a hit, 1% crit guarantees a crit

Either way, it's basically lol PP-only mode.

Uh, the difference between zeroing the RNG and giving weapons 200 crit is that your units can get enough luck to avoid getting critted in a zero RNG PT while in 100% crit, the enemy has 100% crit on you no matter what(unless you use a Hoplon guard/Iron rune). Also, zeroing the RNG means that you would get perfect level ups every time, at least to my knowledge.

And by the way, the FE6 example was a typo. I meant FE8(Cam did a very unfinished 100% crit PT of FE6, however.)

Edited by darkandroid125

Oh this is a cool thread!

Death From Above! ( Fliers only run. of course in instances where no fliers are available, you have to bend the rules.)

Call In The Cavalry! (same as above only with horsey guys)

Might and Magic! (mages, magic users only)

Sword Solo! (Solo with a Swordmaster/myrm only)

Grounded (No mounted units at all)

No Girls Allowed. (self explanatory)

Religious Free Zone. (meaning no clerics, monks, bishops, etc. Troubadours would be allowed though since they arent holy!)

All Axes All The Time. (use only axes)

Lance Dance. (use only lances)

Swords Are Just Better. (use only swords)

Light Makes Right! (Light magic only)

Shipper On Deck. (Use only characters who support to have paired endings)

No Boys Allowed. (well duh. One of the most done specialty playthroughs)

Child Soldiers! (using only very young characters)

We Must Press On... (no restarting if a character dies. no matter what.)

Generic Units playthrough (FE11 and 12 ): As the name implies beat the game using generic replacements, you're going to need some exceptions for the higher difficulties since generics will get stomped by endgame enemy units or all of the game in FE12 lunatic.

Standard army composition: Players can only use skirmishers (archers or horse archers), cavalry units, sword, axe, or spear infantry, one medic (Heal and restore staffs also vulunaries, concoctions, and elixers only in FE10), and a siege weapon (FE11).

Initial funds: You can't sell items for money, the only funds available are the initial, story events, and chests. (Doesn't work well for FE5 since you can capture people)

Enemy Phase Only: you may not use the attack command except against enemies that do not permit counterattacks, like healers and units that only carry a siege weapon (these enemies must be killed last).

Atheist Run: No magic, no staves, no Holy or Pure Water, and in FE4, no "Holy" weapons or Churches. No laguz, cards, Imbue, or any of it!

Enemy Phase Only: you may not use the attack command except against enemies that do not permit counterattacks, like healers and units that only carry a siege weapon (these enemies must be killed last).

Interesting.

Atheist Run: No magic, no staves, no Holy or Pure Water, and in FE4, no "Holy" weapons or Churches. No laguz, cards, Imbue, or any of it!

Also no legendary weapons or fliers perhaps? I mean, seriously, pegasi and wyverns? Make-believe nonsense amirite

Initial funds: You can't sell items for money, the only funds available are the initial, story events, and chests. (Doesn't work well for FE5 since you can capture people)

That's not even as restrictive as "no shops", which seems pretty trivial in 7 for example (although arguably anywhere from annoying to hellish in 6).

Edited by zahlman

You could probably beat most chapters without killing healers and seigers.

And I feel like the Atheist Run should be called something more like weapons only.

Resource Pooling - Use all statboosters on one unit, preferably one which isn't very good.

I'm not moving - Don't move any units from the starting area until all mobile enemies have been defeated.

Genealogy of Alec (FE4)- With a bit of hacking, Alec's fathered everyone! Even Celice!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (FE4) - Only repair weapons when they break!

Poorly planned will (FE4) - Pass down every Holy Weapon to somebody who can't use it.

Kidnapping (FE5) - Do not release any enemy units that have been captured

Well-Read Bandit (FE5) - Allow Dagda to hold all of your scrolls.

But I'm not sleepy! (FE5) - As much as you can allow it, do not sit units out unless they max out on fatigue.

King of Harem (FE6) - Get 5 C rank supports with Roy and any of his suitors.

How about one where for each chapter you can only use 1 unit. But you can only use each unit for one chapter. So basically, you have to solo each chapter with someone different.

Though that may be impossible also.

Favorite Weapon: Only one weapon by character, change weapon only when it's broken. No more item in their inventory (promotion only during preparation)

Patriotism: Play only with the characters of a same country. (Ex: Only with crimean in FE9/10 or Only Illian in FE6) (except Lord)

Motley Army: Do not put two characters of a same country in your army (therefore no characters who coming from the same country of the Lord)

Sein de Corps et d'Esprit: No item (except promotion item)

Crusade: Use only cavaliers and paladdin

Glass Wall: Use only characters whose defence is lower than the half of the max

Rainbow: Use 7 characters, one with the hair of each rainbow's color (red, orange, yellow, green, light blue, dark blue, purple)

I love everyone (GBA+FE9): Everybody get C rank support with 5 characters (or the max if it's lower than 5)