which one.

MacLovin

I am going to start a new playthrough, and I was wondering-which of Boyd, Nolan, or Brom should I bring into the tower.

I'm leaning towards Boyd, because Nolan makes the DB chapters trivial.

And brom has a 20% speed growth-and that's hard to fix.

Nolan basically has nicer growths than Boyd, imo; he also caps stats much faster than Boyd in both second and third tier, making it easy for him to catch up to his small STR/HP deficit on Boyd, AND to top it all off, he's easily usable and nice to use in part 1, in any mode you pick.

Brom's terrible speed really hampers him throughout, and Meg only gets away with general speed caps because her insane SPD growth makes her speed skyrocket at the beginning of each tier. Luna is nice, but you'd be better off with either Gatrie or Meg as a Marshall in end-game, frankly. And considering the Meg hate...you get the point.

Nolan. Definately Nolan.

Basically, I recommend using either Nolan or Boyd. It really doesn't matter which one, since reavers are awesome in endgame and you really can't go wrong with either one. It all boils down to Nolan's better overall statistics vs Boyd's superior availability. Though if I had to pick one, Nolan's probably the better option if you can give him the levels needed, otherwise, Boyd.

And bringing Brom to endgame? If that isn't a joke, then I don't know what is. Firstly, Brom's speed sucks. He has a 16 base with a 30% growth, and at 20/20/10, he only has 26 spd. This doubles absolutely fucking nothing except dragons, and actually GETS doubled by things like swordmasters(and is almost doubled by dangerous enemies like warriors.) Even if Brom hits his cap, he caps at a pitiful 30. If you absolutely must bring a general to endgame, I'd recommend using Gatrie, as at least his spd should be capped by the time you make it to endgame(he has speed capped by 20/20/11, so he's GTG I guess.)

Boyd, since you don't want to trivialize DB chapters. The only difference that ever really seems to stand out between the two is that having Nolan in DB is more useful than Boyd in Greil.

Edited by SlayerX

Or I'll just use both, and rape P4 and endgame.

Yes but then you'll have trouble with Urvan sharing (minor inconvenience but it can get annoying :V).

Also i don't think Nolan outclasses Boyd. Nolan just helps much more because he is in a team of bad units. By part 4 they are essentially the same.

Nolan comes in a team of Edward the second best Swordmaster in the game, Aran a fantastic tanking unit, Zihark who balances out your whole party in part 1 and 3, and Jill who is basically a speedlike dragonmaster that starts off bad but will defenetely improve if you give her the time in the few chapters you get her in part 1 and the MASSIVE exp you get in 3-6 and 3-13

Edward needs luck, many things kill him and faces ~50% displayed hit. Aran, lol, tanking is over rated. While i like Aran he is a bad unit. Jill will have trouble in 3-6 if she doesn't get enough EXP in part 1. I tried training her once, but she kept dying to tigers :/. Zihark, never tried him seriously, but sure i'll give you that. These units are all fine and dandy, but they don't make the DB a cakewalk by anymeans any time soon. Its only around Part 3 that they start making a difference. Nolan however starts making a big difference when he first comes up, plus nolan is durable, can easily get to doubling, and is strong to kill stuff once he doubles. All of this does not apply to most units you mention.

Boyd has bigger competition, starting with Haar, Ike, Titania, Oscar, Mia, Gatrie. They are so good, that having a great unit here, isn't so great because the standards are already really high anyway.

Point is, Nolan's greatness is really more because of where he is than anything else.

Edited by SlayerX

While I do see your point I still have to say that Nolan is still not alone. Edward will quickly improve and his low level and good growths means only good things, the best way I can see Edward Improving is to get a few mook kills and he'll start tearing through everyone alike aspecailly if you give him a wind edge. The only time I can say not to use Eddy is in HM where he is just doomed to failiure because of the enemy's overwelming stats aspecailly when he's fighting an archer, soldier, and maybe horseback units. Aran starts off with some pretty bad bases but is a nessisary wall to defend against the cat and aspecailly the tigers in 3-6. Jill is probably not nessisary but every time I've used her she always ALWAYS doubles her foes once she's hit a high enough level in Dragonmaster and aspecailly Dragonlord, HELL I've seen her double swordmasters in the endgame of all places. I strongly recomend you try out Zihark sometime, give vantage and with adept and that high speed and str already he will be able to rape many many enemies even aspecailly in Part 1.

He requires constant speed level ups (1 every level for some chapters... IDK if he can risk losing one or not... I can't remember right now, atleast for the first 3) which aren't very guaranteed eventhough his growth is high. Edy is a great unit, not going to deny that, but his start is very frail. Also Aran isn't necessary, and eventhough he is a wall, he can't take much doubling from cats and tigers (they don't double but there is a chance aran could end up that screwed) alike in 3-6 (and to say he'll be avoiding doubling from cats is unlikely). @ Jill I'm mostly talking about her part 1, where she isn't as durable as Nolan should be when he gets to that chapter.

Nolan is a great unit right from the start in a team where most units easily get killed (eddy in 1-1 is 2hko'd iirc).

A blessed Leonardo is ridiculously fun to use.

I'm going to try training Astrid for fun-she was great in POR.(Best bow user)

For some reason, Haar is ludicrously broken-even against hordes of respawning enemies, he kills them all with a Javelin or iron weapons.

The only unit that has an assured endgame slot is Mia.

She is a great unit and has "a large amount of cleavage"

A maxed out Reaver with a brave axe can ORKO Ashera's Aura's.

use a disarm-steal on the brave axe!general in 4-E-1 to get a second brave axe and you can have 2 way overpowered reavers.

my vote stays with Brom.

I tried having Shinon disarm every enemy in 4-1 for fun, it took forever, but it got me a lot of cash.

Meg sucks.

Edward blocks stuff with his face too often.

Therefore-

Zihark is the best Sword user in the DB.

You're playing on the mode where training Eddy is no longer the uphill battle it is in HM. He doubles far more consistently, dodges far more often (especially once you can get a Nolan support), and he grows quickly enough to match Zihark by part 3.

Meh, I haven't put enough exp in him to use him in 1-5.

I've got Meg for swords-and I've just discovered how badly she fails.

Training Leo because Marksmen are overpowered.

Nolan's got 13 speed at lvl 17

In my experience with NMand drafts, Eddie is better than Zihark. He grows fast, beating him in str and soon in tier 2, in defense. Eddie is a solo'ing machine in NM. Slap Resolve and watch him raep laguz in 3-6 with wrath and resolve :o. Hes a bit harder to use in HM but with enough favoritism and planning, he can be as good as in NM. (he just needs to reach tier 2 and never get spd screwed).

Zihark can work in a draft, but I think it's better if another member of the DB is also drafted.

3-6 with bad biorythm Sothe and Zihark was a horrible experiance...............

I'm planning on killing Ike with a trueblade Zihark+Brave Sword in Pkl's draft.

----------------------------

I wish the CRK paladins didn't get Nerfed, I liked using Kieran and Astrid in POR

Nolan's got 13 speed at lvl 17

o.O! That's really a problem. He won't double much in 2 tier. If you want to have fun and lol around, use Brom, if not, use Boyd. However Nolan's speed problem should be somehow solved.

In my last and first RD playthrough, I had a 14 def lv. 19/06 Nolan, and he was almost 2HKO'd by tigers in 3-6. Regarding Zihark vs. Ed, I prefer Ed although may have the same performance when resolved. My attempt was to use both of them, but Zihark was 2HKO'd by 3-6 cats n' tigers. I must say that Eddie had an A support with Leo (+3 def, +2 attck) and he was far durable than lone Zihark. I don't know how is their performance in HM but they may have the same problems, durability.

My lv. 10 Miccy has 16 spd and 7 def, She raped some 1-4 tigers with 16 hp! :awesome: I guess it is because RNG sticks to some lv. up patterns (mag, skl, spd, lck, def, res twice consecutively)

Edited by Quintessence

Try Zihark and Sothe soloing 3-6 with bad biorythm.

I gave them medals for doing so.

And they were underleveled.

But Mia over Zihark due to having cleavage.

Nolans getting a speedwing or bexp abuse...