Favorite Video Game Soundtrack?

Original Alear

Ok, this topic is kind of a piece of crap compared to the video game music topic, where you actually get to listen to individual entries from a game's soundtrack, but here goes...

Talking as a whole, the good and the bad and its ability to fit the action of the game in question, what's your favorite video game soundtrack? I'm split between Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX), Cho Ren Sha (PC), which only has like 10 tracks but they're all perfect for the action that's going on, and Final Fantasy XII, which has almost as many tracks as any one Suikoden has characters.

Final Fantasy XII and XI have really amazing soundtracks, from what I recall. I like to put them in some of the Elder Scrolls games when their music gets dull (only really happened in Oblivion...), and with Minecraft :D

Intelligent Cube on the PS1 has a fantastic, surreal soundtrack that few people seem to hear. You should give it a listen sometime.

I suppose my favorite soundtrack overall would be Zwei II's. While I probably wouldn't put a bgm from it in a list of favorite individual themes, most tracks could be ranked as "good", resulting in a nice average (and experience). Sadly it's a Japan-only action RPG so I can barely recommend it to people.

Honorable mentions: Mana Khemia and Final Fantasy 6.

My first instinct would be to go with Final Fantasy VI, though Tactics also has an amazing soundtrack. The Decisive Battle, The Fierce Battle, Dancing Mad Part 4 in battle, Terra's Theme and Searching for Friends on the world map, Locke's theme, Shadow's theme for characters. And of course Kefka's theme. That's just a few, but I can't really think of a bad track from that game.

Uhh. . .

- Beatmania IIDX DJ Troopers OST: I happened to be fond of the two long versions, and most of the songs were pretty good. My favorite song, Soldier's Waltz, got a nifty instrumental change.

- Beatmania IIDX Resort Anthem OST: There's 3.5 long versions here. Most of the songs fit the theme, and the two "official" long versions rock (one is my favorite song of this mix).

- Final Fantasy VI OST: Just. Because. It's. Amazing.

- I'll get my hands on a few other OSTs I'm missing. . .one day.

Even if it only has like twenty or less tracks, Illusion of Gaia is my personal favourite. Not only does it win nostalgiafag fight Castoth when I was eight and lose all the time, but some of the tracks are forever embedded into my mind. Mostly Adrift and Earthern Womb. Quality over Quantity!

Also, Dragon Warrior IV, I am a huge fan of 8-bit music, and DWIV is some of the greatest 8-bit music I've ever heard.

For all those who said, I agree that FF6 has a phenomenal soundtrack, that's pretty much next up on my list.

And as for Illusion of Gaia, that game has some nice music too. And as for the Castoth fight, I beat that on nearly my first try but the vampires killed me a whole buncha times and I've only beaten Dark Gaia's second form once in my entire life. (and I've gone back to fight it after beating it more recently and found myself unable to beat it)

Intelligent Cube on the PS1 has a fantastic, surreal soundtrack that few people seem to hear. You should give it a listen sometime.

Someone blew the Intelligent Qube whistle and it wasn't me? I must be getting old, these youngsters are getting faster than me...though I dunno why you'd call it surreal of all things.

Anyway, I don't think I can choose any one favourite, but among my favourites are stuff by Yuzo Koshiro (Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Etrian Odyssey, ActRaiser and its sequel, etc.), Megaman X4, the first Ace Attorney, Intelligent Qube (as mentioned above), Metal Gear Solid 3, Symphony of the Night and blah blah blah, too many to list. You get the idea.

I'm offended that eclipse has posted in this thread, yet she mutes Yuzo Koshiro.

I'm offended that eclipse has posted in this thread, yet she mutes Yuzo Koshiro.

I tend to listen to other things while plumbing the depths of the labyrinth (though I always unmute when it's credit roll time).

I tend to listen to other things while plumbing the depths of the labyrinth (though I always unmute when it's credit roll time).

You mute Etrian Odyssey's soundtrack...

(My heart is muted)

Edited by BlueMartianKitty

First thing I thought of was Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua (well, it was on the PS2 so...). I honestly can't think of much else since I tend to not really pay attention to the music much when I'm actually playing a game. Actually I am going to unironically say that I love all Sonic music, even those post-3k, except CASH CAAAAAASH >8888[

Edit: Super Robot Wars (despite being majority animu music)

Edited by Hikarussr

It's a tie between PWAA: Trials and Tribulations, Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations and Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest.

Great choices. Especially DKC2.

Edit: Super Robot Wars (despite being majority animu music)

But the best music for SRW tends to be the custom music, which isn't anime, it's video game! And OG1 and 2 are original music. And those have the best, IMO. Besides Beyond the Time.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Etrian Odyssey

Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of High Lagaard

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City

Shin Megami Tensei III - Nocturne

Shin Megami Tensei - Strange Journey

Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga

Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 2

Final Fantasy VI

Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry 3 Dante's Awakening/Special Edition

Devil May Cry 4

BlazBlue Calamity Trigger/Continuum Shift/Continuum Shift 2/Continuum Shift Extend

Fire Emblem Sacred Stones

Other games that have awesome soundtracks that I can't recall or don't feel like listing. One of the two.

eclipse. Listen to the EO soundtracks. Unless you want to face the consequences of which I have no way of enforcing. DO EET! Please?

SNES: Chrono trigger, yoshi's island & illusions of gaia

Wii: , fe10, super mario galaxy 2

DS: ragnarok online, professor layton and the unwound future, & animal crossing, final fantasy tactics advance

I'd continue the list, but you can tell the path I'm going to follow.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I would say the competition for my favorite is between Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, and Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. I kind of arbitrarily picked which Layton game I like best, but Unwound Future just had a lot of cool tracks like Time Travel, Puzzle Battle, and of course Unwound Future.

I'd say that you're all wrong since 90% of the listed games are RPGs... but I think the best video game soundtrack is on Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean.

Halo 3 has an awesome soundtrack though.

I'd say that you're all wrong since 90% of the listed games are RPGs... but I think the best video game soundtrack is on Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean.

Halo 3 has an awesome soundtrack though.

RPGs tend to have awesome soundtracks welp.

The only stages I remember having really awesome music are the second to last and the last stage, especially the second to last stage, but I could be wrong. (for Halo 3)