FPS strategy

whase

19 members have voted

1. 1. is strategy involved in FPS

• some strategy is involved
    • it's all common sense, no strategy involved

what do you think, does a FPS (first person shooter) involve strategy or not?

sure, it's not a kind of game that involves heavy strategical planning, but I believe there is still strategy and planning involved, even if only a little.

a friend of mine says there is no strategy involved in FPS, it's all reaction time, experience and common sense.

Edited by whase

Spawn, unlock a new F2000 attachment, die.

Spawn, unlock a new F2000 attachment, die.

Spawn, unlock ...

But yeah, there's an element of strategy involved in any FPS. The easy answer would be, like, Enemy Territory. If everybody is just acting on their common sense, the Engineer is going to throw his dynamite when he has an opening, he's probably going to die and it's probably going to get defused. With strategery, people do things they wouldn't ordinarily do like camp around the dynamite waiting for Nazis - and in the way back, you have a disguised guy just waiting for the bank doors to open. Were he operating on his own, he obviously wouldn't be.

And what's experience? Experience is the sum of all the strategy you've been involved in, which gives you the ability to pull out plays from your playbook. If it does nothing else, your experience tells you what other people are going to do, which means you can make a plan. And what's plan-making? Strategy.

Taking CoD as an example, strategy includes knowing where most people camp (which me and my friends refer to as "the camping building") and the paths most people take when walking around the map then planning accordingly. Even simple things like claymore placement is all based on meta gaming the majority of players by guessing which entrance they'd choose to walk through.

Most FPS games involve a strategy that isn't about surviving, but reacting to the game environment in ways which allow you to win. Most FPS are absurdly easy to be shot repeatedly and not die--it's more a game of hit-and-run.

I've always found more strategy when the options are set to one or two shots and you're dead, or some of the Stalker mods. It forces you to react a lot more defensively, rather than just popping out every second and shooting like Serious Sam would :/

Dead Ringer negates any strategy I would've needed to have.

While dead ringer is OP, knowing areas in the map where you can safely decloak and not look suspicious and planning your death so you have enough cloak to get there involves a bit of strategy

It most certainly exists and in good quantities.

I played the Reflex edition of Modern Warfare for about 3 months after it was released. Say I'm playing on Bog. That map has extremely limited cover and is very open. The M16 with ACOG and stopping power becomes a one-burst KO at any range. That with its good accuracy makes it extremely effective at holding a location position that has limited cover for a person to get close to you with. So anyone carrying a weapon like the Skorpion or P-90 will have a hard time getting a long range KO compared to you, but they also cannot advance close enough to improve power and accuracy since there is no cover to help with the advance. Now on any map with lots of buildings and very little long stretches of open area, the M16 loses favor to close range weapons because it yields a slower firing rate. The correct application of equipment combinations along with position on a map sounds very strategic to me.

The rest of it is simply up to luck, skill, and situations. If I'm getting cornered in a building due to a helicopter and about 4-5 people are rushing towards me in that building at the same time, I'm going to lose no matter what my strategy is because someone should be smart enough to bomb me out, catch me in a reload or something. Although, in those situations, having a stealth class is pretty strategic because you can move around the map without giving away your location picking people off and avoid getting swamped.

The strategy is pretty important in helping you over come tight situations if you prepared ahead of time and have some sort of plan to fall back on depending upon the map too.

Edited by Eryth

How is it that there are four votes saying there's no strategy, yet every single post indicates that there is? SOMEBODY POST THE OPPOSING SIDE gosh

Edited by Integrity

How is it that there are four votes saying there's no strategy, yet every single post indicates that there is? SOMEBODY POST THE OPPOSING SIDE gosh

I figured it'd be sort of pointless for someone like me to post my opinion, after all its mostly from observing the games rather than you know... playing them

I figured it'd be sort of pointless for someone like me to post my opinion, after all its mostly from observing the games rather than you know... playing them

Then why did you vote, doof?

I like polls...?

Don't be silly! You hate polls. Everyone hates polls.

Teamplay FPS may be difficult to strategize in on some levels, maybe, because you're on random teams without an enforced hierarchy. So you could easily have countervailing strategies in place at any given time by members of your team cuz, well, people are retarded, especially me. But just because there might be poorly plotted strategy doesn't mean there isn't strategy.

And if everyone is used to the game, maybe the strategies won't be ineffective and countervailing because people have some experience with what works and doesn't work.

I suspect the actualized sums of the reflexes of players in the heat of battle are more important though.

But he does have an opinion on the subject, he simply acknowledges it as an uneducated opinion.

Hence the idea/opinion. He, by his admission, has no idea what he's talking about.

Edited by Integrity

Hence the idea/opinion. He, by his admission, has no idea what he's talking about.

Have you ever heard of knowledge a priori?

No?

Well, this isn't what people usually mean by it, because it might be right or wrong (as opposed to something that's "clearly true" without detailed investigation or experience). It's more of a prejudice. But it isn't exactly that, either.

Having "no idea what he's talking about" is in some ways a nice turn of phrase for calling someone ignorant in terms of sounding nice, but when it comes to accuracy and precision it scores very low, because it turns out this guy actually does - or rather might, since he hasn't really expressed much details on his idea yet - have an idea of what he is talking about. Ideas don't have to be based off of experience. Ever heard of imagination?