Top 30 Fire Emblem Characters of ALL TIME Countdown

Mekkah

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious, since when isn't Marcus considered "an Oifey"?

As far as I'm concerned every turbo earlygame Paladin is a Jeigan, but from what I get most people consider a unit an Oifaye if they have good growths. Marcus doesn't have those. I don't really care for these fan-invented archetypes though.

Well, I've mostly heard that it's the growth thing but I've heard it defined as the Jeigans that remain useful later on in the game.

Basically, the people I've seen seem to categorise them like so:

"Pure Jeigans": Jeigan himself, Arran, Cuan, Evayle, Dagda and FE6!Marcus.

"Oifayes": Oifaye himself, FE7!Marcus, Seth, FE9!Titania and FE10!Sothe.

I would argue Dagda remains useful later on in the game and Eyvel/Cuan are nothing like the others here.

5. Titania, from FE9

As a Paladin that joins this early, you would think that the designers have put some things in the game that discourages you from using them. I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly this would be for Titania, because there is none. Their usual way (bad growth) clearly doesn't apply: 45% Str, 50% Spd, 40% Def, and then not even any growth below 40% in the stats that don't matter? Her bases are bad "for her level", but we've hopefully learned not to care about that when this is her level at the start of the game. 33 HP/12 Str/14 Spd/11 Def turns Titania into an anythingkiller extraordinaire when some enemies are still trying to have a positive AS value. She can even take care of bosses on her own, and that's exactly what she should do to try and activate those beautiful growths.

Since those poor Paladins were sooo bad in GBA, FE9 helped them out. First off, they get access to the Knight Ward, which most other classes get no equivalent of whatsover (the Armors get to use it as well, but they don't matter). +2 Def/Res and 30% Spd growth? Thanks, but what did they do to deserve this? Either way, it turns Titania's Spd growth into 80%, and combined with BEXP and the nature of Titania's leveling, it should be extremely easy to up her Spd to the stars and beyond with this.

Does it end there? Not really, though it is easily the most ridiculous thing about FE9 Paladins. There's also the fact that she has access to Lances and Axes, the best two weapon types she could ask for. She's also got that whole move after doing anything going for her (I can't say Canto cause that's what Reyson's chanting xability is called in this game). This is also one of the only games where it's possible to build up supports in an efficient run, which puts her in the race for a support with Ike, Boyd or Mist, whichever she wants. Also Rhys but only Snowy thinks he matters.

Titania dominates the whole game without effort. In order to make her suck you need her to rescue one of your own units and forge her Sandbag weapons (I don't think you can even make those in FE9). The only thing that docks points from her is that she's in a game where it's also way too easy to make OTHER people kick (almost) as much butt through BEXP and everything, but a #5 spot is nothing to be ashamed of.

It's been ages since I've played FE9 so I've forgotten if you can even forge negative stats onto weapons like you can in FE10. Actually being able to do that wouldn't even be a strike against Titania in a casual run of FE9 as it would mean you're just using her as a softener to feed kills to people, which is something she can easily do with no risk of dying herself and that's pretty awesome compared to basically every other character you get that early (particularly since Gatrie and Shinon fuck off for half the game). Once they catch up, she's still good and can always whip out something better to bosskill. So really, even if you forged her sandbagging shit it would still make her pretty awesome for certain playstyles.

EDIT: Haha, I just checked FEA and Titania's averages don't even end up non-competitive with the other Paladins in any meaningful way. She loses bad to Kieran in STR but otherwise pretty much the same as every other Paladin, just without bothering with that Cavalier bullshit. Man, I forgot how good she is.

Edited by Renall

It's been ages since I've played FE9 so I've forgotten if you can even forge negative stats onto weapons like you can in FE10. Actually being able to do that wouldn't even be a strike against Titania in a casual run of FE9 as it would mean you're just using her as a softener to feed kills to people, which is something she can easily do with no risk of dying herself and that's pretty awesome compared to basically every other character you get that early (particularly since Gatrie and Shinon fuck off for half the game). Once they catch up, she's still good and can always whip out something better to bosskill. So really, even if you forged her sandbagging shit it would still make her pretty awesome for certain playstyles.

EDIT: Haha, I just checked FEA and Titania's averages don't even end up non-competitive with the other Paladins in any meaningful way. She loses bad to Kieran in STR but otherwise pretty much the same as every other Paladin, just without bothering with that Cavalier bullshit. Man, I forgot how good she is.

What is also so amazing is a mode called Fixed mode. Where the whole "I'm getting 10 exp for a bosskill" works in her favor. One level needs a shitload of enemies, which equals a shitload of growthpoints, which equals a shitload of +6 - 8 stats up per level. Or something in that area.

I find it odd that the likes of Priscilla/Serra/Pent have not come up. I expected them (Priscilla in particular) after Kent and Sain but before Marcus. I hope you have a good explanation for this, Mekkah.

Priscilla is not that good. Staff users are not that good in general unless they can skip huge portions of the game with Warp.

Says the guy who gave her a 9 in his rating topic <_<? Which is tied for 3rd in that game and higher than the previously mentioned Kent and Sain? Yeah, okay.

I'm surprised that lategame warpers haven't come up at all, and I highly doubt they'll be this high now, with Safy/Marcus/Seth/Sigurd still existing, and I highly doubt they'll be lumped together with Safy.

And Prissy doesn't really contribute anything efficiency wise, she's completely outclassed by Pent in the use of staves, and healing/other staves aren't doing a whole lot before Pent shows up anyhow.

Edited by General Horace

Says the guy who gave her a 9 in his rating topic <_<? Which is tied for 3rd in that game and higher than the previously mentioned Kent and Sain? Yeah, okay.

1. Opinions change over time.

2. I don't personally think that Kent and Sain are that good either, and I didn't assume that one of them would be Marcus v2 in that rating topic.

3. There are characters who are excellent at doing support roles, and there are characters who break the game in two over their knees. Priscilla is not one of the latter characters.

I had really hoped that you had came up with better reasoning than "oh but you kind of sort of said so in an oldish rating topic under a different context."

Edited by dondon151

1. Opinions change over time.

2. I don't personally think that Kent and Sain are that good either, and I didn't assume that one of them would be Marcus v2 in that rating topic.

3. There are characters who are excellent at doing support roles, and there are characters who break the game in two over their knees. Priscilla is not one of the latter characters.

I had really hoped that you had came up with better reasoning than "oh but you kind of sort of said so in an oldish rating topic under a different context."

The context was largely the same, actually, Mekkah has just given himself some more "leeway." And it's not like you gave loads of reasoning. You pretty much said "she's not that good." Besides, I wasn't asking you, so I see no reason why I should be obligated to argue it out with you.

But, well, I didn't mean to get into such an argument over it in the first place. My comment wasn't even completely serious (the last part was supposed to show that, but I suppose my sarcasm really is just too subtle). If Mekkah didn't plan on putting these units in from the beginning, fine, though I would like to hear why since I find them better than some of the other units on the list.

if you've been following this thread regulary, it's pretty apparent that these rating are not infact 100% accurate and they are indeed subject to change, so something should be worked out when he finishes the ratings.

I'll be giving some more honorable mentions when the Top30 is completed, along with reasons why they were not included.

4. Haar, from FE10

2-P was put into the game for one reason: to kickstart Haar's career of awesome. Where all these winged sissies are failing to do significant damage to all those scary Dracoknights, Haar comes in, laughs at their feeble attempts to damage him and puts an axe through their skull. And then there's a million more jokes I could put in about how that's him with his eyepatch on, or how he does it while taking a nap, but I don't think that's necessary.

Haar is extremely tough. 46 HP and 23 Def is not easy to get through, especially when they got rid of the arrow weak for wyverns. His 23 Str plus axes also gives him some extreme power per hit, even though it takes some tricks to get him to double with that lowish 20 Spd. Thankfully, several of Haar's stats are close enough to capping to make BEXPing his Spd a serious option. In addition, he's a great Speedwing candidate, because the only thing that's better than an indestructible flier that kills everything in two rounds is an indestructible flier that kills everything in one round. A Master Crown also goes a long way towards getting him to double. Along with things like the Brave Lance and Killer weapons, you can minimize Haar's little speed problem and maximize his perks.

Haar decides he might as well join up with the Greil Mercenaries in 3-2 after probably killing Ludveck in 2-E in a matter of 1-2 turns, and proceeds to show everyone what consequences a powerful flier at this point of the game has. The map layout and objectives for the upcoming chapters all greatly favor Haar. In 3-2, he can fly over to the boss in 2 turns and get rid of him with I believe just a Stun or critical proc. In 3-3, you basically have to seize several points of the map (though "putting things on fire" sounds cooler), and who is better at that than a flier that can get anywhere on the map in a moment's notice? In 3-4, Ranulf and Ike both need to reach the top of the mountain. Haar can carry one of them while the other makes their way up there the hard way. 3-5, Haar's best friend Reyson joins the frey, and together they can Canto-destroy the entire map, starting us off with a nice 1-turn. 3-6, Haar can fly into the swamp to kill all the laguz with ea-...oh, he is taking a nap in that one. My bad.

3-7 is boring but Haar can contribute anyways if you want Ike to get to the Black Knight ASAP. 3-8 and 3-10 he's just a high move unit that greatly assists the rout, 3-11 he can carry Ike to the seize point, 3-13 you should be glad you don't have to fight him, 3-E he's useful but not as turbo amazing. Part 4 has a lot more terrain to fly over, most notably the desert.

Haar dominates from the moment he joins. He does take a resource or two to go from "dominant" to "isitabirdisitaplane" level, and in addition he doesn't laugh at the ENTIRE game (Part 1, and then he also slows down a little speed wise occasionally). That's why he's #4, not #1. But he's still so awesome.

Funny thing about Haar: I got him to tier 3 and he stomped ass all across part 4... brought him to the endgame, and he may as well have slept through it all thanks to Tibarn swiping all his thunder.

Hint, hint?

Edited by Rambo M

I feel like you kind of skimmed over Haar's speed issues. Maybe that's just me thoug.

I kinda wrote it fast but it was almost everything I knew about him. I mentioned that he's slow and I mentioned the three main ways people fix it up. What more were you expecting?

A speedwing is usually enough for part 3, but he still has to watch for spd screwage, he's not actually that good at BEXP abuse, and even speedwing'd Haar might have trouble doubling in part 4 so he might need an additional one.

Still I think #4 is fine for Haar. Haar with no stat boosters is still the best unit in FE10 anyway.

Haar is fine at BEXPing, I thought? 46 HP (4 from cap), 24 Skl (2 from cap), and 23 Def (3 from cap) with 9 levels to work with seems enough ...then again, wow, 30% HP growth, that's terrible rofl.

3. Saphy, from FE5 and Lena, from FE11

Two frail little sisters all the way up there, sitting rather uncomfortably with badasses such as Haar and Marcus. What exactly have they done to get to the top? Surely it can't have been "take a lot of hits", because both of these get OHKO'd pretty consistently in their respective games. It can't have been their combat, because they have none until they promote (well, Lena can go Mage, but she shouldn't), and even when they've promoted it isn't amazing enough to be up here.

However, I am pretty convinced that both of these units broke the games they are in, multiple times. The reason why: infinite range Warp, almost instantly, nearly the entire game long. They can reduce the chapter from "fight your way to the seize point, through all the enemies" to "Warp, bosskill, Warp, seize", turning this strategy game into a non-strategy game. And with that in mind, who cares if their stats are bad? Only one enemy matters, and that's the boss.

For FE5, the main bosskiller (when Warp is available) is Asvel, and maybe Mareeta counts too. In FE11, it will be Dracoknight Shiida, sometimes replaced by Swordmaster Shiida. At the end, throw in a little Galzus/Sety/Nagi/etc, but for the most part, the game becomes a less-than-five-men show. Of course, as the game goes on, more units with the capability to Warp join, and that would kind of rain on their parades...but on the other hand, you often need 2 Warps for a 1-turn win (bosskiller + lord), and sometimes you want to Warp even more than that to get important things from villages, or recruit new characters, or get new Warp staves. The best example of this is the Hammerne Staff in FE11, which is actually rather tricky to get when you've been skipping entire chapters!

Warpskipping is not something done by JUST these units, but they are such a huge part of it and they change the dynamics of the game so much that I felt #3 was sufficient for them. The only things better than Warp trivializers, imo, are units that literally trivialize the entire game, from start to end.

I could have tagged Malleelsleielslesilesia in here, but 1) I don't really have enough FE12 H3 experience to comment properly on her, and 2) she can't Warp in H3, just Rescue, and Rescue is significantly less game breaking. It saves quite a few turns if your Marth goes sidetracking, but it's not like Warp where you just jump over all the enemies, kill the boss and take the throne. In addition, you do get Wendel and Etzel quickly enough to kinda dimnish the worth (I don't believe you need multiple Rescues very often?). Maybe she should have been somewhere in the Top30, but we can always evaluate that later.

Edited by Mekkah