Characters You're Sick of Hearing Praise About

Randoman

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly can't see how that type of logic would work. In all opinionated honesty, "moe" doesn't excuse weak, poorly executed characters nor should it do so.

The argument is that being weak and... predictable in her interactions with others (what I think you're getting at with "poorly executed" is the exact source of the moe. It's not supposed to be rational. Don't get me started listing other supposedly moe characters that most rational adults actually capable of socialization would find utterly intolerable. :P

Personally I don't care because I am a yuri fanboy and lyn x florina is pwnsome

I've always felt like Nolan gets too much praise. In Part 1, he's a mediocrity and his only saving grace is being forced into early chapters. He's not really "good" in my eyes until Part 3, and even then it comes with the caveat that he takes Beastfoe.

The same applies for Vanessa. Flying utility is I find, not especially useful in FE8. It only shaves off turns in Chapter 7, and by the time you get to later maps where flying utility is important such as Chapter 11 and Chapter 13, you have two more fliers. Plus, the degree to which flying utility makes a difference in Chapter 11 and 13 is not that great, since you can just wait for the Mogalls to come to you and some foot units can cross the rivers.

Oswin, I don't really like the amount of praise he gets. I don't think he really deserves it...

I really find Volke to be a boring character and a substandard unit, yet he gets tons of fanboys because he's aloof and "cool". Give me Sothe any day of the week.

Edited by Anouleth

Seth

I'm a stat-junky, compare his stats to any other unit's stats at the same level, he's not that good.

he was my worst unit on my cavaliers/paladins only PT.

... dondon, I feel like 三朝元老 accurately describes Marcus, seeing that he has served under Elbert, then Eliwood, then Roy. Not sure how that idiom works in English though.

lol this is why Marcus is one of my favorite characters personality-wise. He's such a boss all the time.

Edited by dondon151

^Agreed, so much.

@whase: 1) Why is Seth not having a massive level lead 2) Seth actually have equal or better 20 averages in several stats to the growth cavs and his only clear loss is HP. Could just have been RNG.

Hmm... Probably Lex.

Hear me out. I like Lex. I like the fact that he's the only unit that can use Axes (Lachesis aside). And I like how the Hero Axe is essentially Prf on him. I also like Elite.

HOWEVER!

As a father, he gains a lot more praise than he really deserves. Elite is not a necessary skill whatsoever (it's just nice padding) unless you're doing a ranked run. Ambush hovers around the mediocrity range (another skill that you won't realize exists unless you need to abuse it for ranks). He can't pass down Axes at all so I pretty much waste money on him. In addition, he stops being able to kill shit (even with the Hero Axe) early into the game. Lex remains in the significant chip category for me along with Noish/Alec/Midir but all three units actually have useful skills on them. And his Acc is really shit too.

That's pretty much it. Lex is far from bad. He's just not as boss as everyone proclaims him to be.

He can't pass down Axes at all so I pretty much waste money on him.

He can still pass down Rings, which can be sold. I think there should be a spare Return Ring he can help out one of his offspring a tiny bit by sending along. Obviously depends who he's fathering, and whether you care how long it is out of play.

Edit: I only mentioned this because I know you're ranking, and don't want you to overlook. You should also have him buy Beowulf.

He does get a lot of undeserved hype in my honest opinion as well.

Edited by Balcerzak

Hmm... Probably Lex.

Hear me out. I like Lex. I like the fact that he's the only unit that can use Axes (Lachesis aside). And I like how the Hero Axe is essentially Prf on him. I also like Elite.

HOWEVER!

As a father, he gains a lot more praise than he really deserves. Elite is not a necessary skill whatsoever (it's just nice padding) unless you're doing a ranked run. Ambush hovers around the mediocrity range (another skill that you won't realize exists unless you need to abuse it for ranks). He can't pass down Axes at all so I pretty much waste money on him. In addition, he stops being able to kill shit (even with the Hero Axe) early into the game. Lex remains in the significant chip category for me along with Noish/Alec/Midir but all three units actually have useful skills on them. And his Acc is really shit too.

Ambush can be nice on Arthur, and Lex passes down Neir blood for good defense growth. I think that you're right though, since people seem to try to push Lex/Anyone, even with mothers that lack pursuit like Lachesis.

I think it's more helpful on those kids who have trouble leveling when ranking, like Tinny or Patty or some shit like that.

But yeah, I agree. I like Lex as a unit by himself, but I only pair him with Tiltyu, and only when I don't feel like going Horsety.

I don't get why people like LexLach. Seems pretty worthless to me.

The argument is that being weak and... predictable in her interactions with others (what I think you're getting at with "poorly executed") is the exact source of the moe. It's not supposed to be rational. Don't get me started listing other supposedly moe characters that most rational adults actually capable of socialization would find utterly intolerable. :P

Meanwhile, there are characters out there that supposedly qualify for being moe, but happen to actually be strong and well executed instead of weak and poorly executed.

^Agreed, so much.

@whase: 1) Why is Seth not having a massive level lead 2) Seth actually have equal or better 20 averages in several stats to the growth cavs and his only clear loss is HP. Could just have been RNG.

it's whase, Lumi, you know, that same guy who was arguing that "marcus has very little chance to be better than sain or kent if given the same amount of save state abuse"; you're arguing a lost cause here ;\

Kent and Sain, mainly, because I've never seen them as particularly spectacular units. There's worse Red&Greens than them, sure, but I think it's mostly that more people have played FE7.

Lyn is terrible and people who like her are terrible. Hector is overrated.

Always sick of hearing praise about Sety. SF isn't really the sort of place that heaps excessive praise on him though.

People act like Moulder is the first FE guy to have awesome facial hair. Where was all this slavish stache-devotion in earlier times? And also, where'd it go, because seriously we've not had a good mustache meme in like forever. Plus Moulder is, like... average? So who gives a damn.

There's more than enough BEXP in FE9 that you can still pump Jill and Marcia to optimum combat performance while still having enough to make just about anyone into a killing machine. I guess you just don't like how people argue that Neph doesn't have a bad start in PoR because we have so much BEXP at the point she joins that we can just fix her bad level/stats without significantly hurting anyone else.

Typical of an Aran fanboy.

i save my BEXP for Jill/Marica/Makalov, thus the "Makalov Fanboy" in my name.

so you look at my name and think i'm an Aran fanboy? no i'm not, he's less worth bringing into the endgame then Nephy.

I think it's more helpful on those kids who have trouble leveling when ranking, like Tinny or Patty or some shit like that.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Leen and Corple. Lex is doritos as a father for the two during a ranked run since leveling them up is such a bitch (and you need to in order to get the A in EXP).

But yeah, I agree. I like Lex as a unit by himself, but I only pair him with Tiltyu, and only when I don't feel like going Horsety.

Well there's always FuryxLex if you want Fee to get to gr9mazing levels faster if you're interested. I do think that for the most part, he's an overrated father.

I don't get why people like LexLach. Seems pretty worthless to me.

Tank on a horse basically. He's not a bad choice for a Hero Sword either since he can get high strength and possibly 2HKO with it. I wouldn't do LexLach though unless its for fun or something.

Lex is an overrated character, but I don't think he's an overrated father. Somebody always likes Elite, and there's a perception that not having Elite is "wasting" free experience.

Of course you could argue that, if not playing for ranks, Elite is pretty overrated in FE4, which is probably also true.

I also forgot to mention Moulder (is Con really THAT big a deal???), Rhys (even if he heals more than Mist does, so what? A player with so much as half a brain wouldn't see it make much of a difference), Duessel (IMHO, he's just another run-of-the-mill prepromo; my scorn for great knights does his case no favors), Soren (Overrated to high heaven and back. Need I say more?), and Shin (I don't feel as extreme on him as I do most of the others I mentioned, but I hate the Sacae maps in FE6 with the rage of an angry god).

Edited by Metal King Slime

People act like Moulder is the first FE guy to have awesome facial hair. Where was all this slavish stache-devotion in earlier times? And also, where'd it go, because seriously we've not had a good mustache meme in like forever. Plus Moulder is, like... average? So who gives a damn.

Moulder isn't really average because of his good staff rank... but that is basically his only redeeming feature. His stats are pretty meh, especially his magic, and he lacks a mount.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Leen and Corple. Lex is doritos as a father for the two during a ranked run since leveling them up is such a bitch (and you need to in order to get the A in EXP).

I don't play ranked, so I kinda just forgot about Corple. :P

Well there's always FuryxLex if you want Fee to get to gr9mazing levels faster if you're interested. I do think that for the most part, he's an overrated father.

Fair enough, I can see how that could be useful. Though I personally never have trouble leveling Fee anyway since she starts with an existent (and quite nice) sword rank, can pass on Hero Lance anyway, so I'm more interested in an extra staff rank on promotion instead with a magic sword unless I don't feel like doing Horsety.

Tank on a horse basically. He's not a bad choice for a Hero Sword either since he can get high strength and possibly 2HKO with it. I wouldn't do LexLach though unless its for fun or something.

He'll...suck in C6, though, at least, since it's either Celice lolfest in draft/LTC runs and Del can only get one hit in at a time with a mediocre sword due to can't inherit Hero unless Lex somehow got the Silver Blade drop (since IDK how he would even be able to touch the Thunder Sword guy with WTA and a castle) , or in my more casual runs, swap Celice with Lakche.

But eh. All pairings are fair in for fun~

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I find Duessel is overrated. Sure he has good weapon ranks and stats, but he's locked to 6 Mov for all of his existence and has mediocre availability. Add to the mix how easy FE8 is overall (many other units are very durable and ORKO at 1-2 range very easily) and I'm not really seeing how he's better than Kyle or Forde or even someone like Garcia. If FE8 were harder, his huge stats might make a significant difference (though his lowish Spd might be more problematic then).

Units like Ephraim and Gerik fall under the same trap IMO. For the easy FE games, even unmounted units with good stats aren't all that useful for efficient completions. There are a few unmounted fighting units with extra parameters that allow them to remain significantly useful (Rutger comes to mind), but for the most part such units are just heavily outclassed by mounted units who have the same/better stats anyway.

I'm sick of hearing praise about any FE character and FE game in general. Especially those characters who have epic lines such as "......" or something along the line of vengeance or wanting to be stronger but they have a pretty face so it's okay only not really. Also characters like Ilyana and Florina who IS feels that their little quirk is enough for their character to warrant no actual explanation as to why they are the way they are because they are there to be cute and only that.

/is bitter towards FE in general >8[

I don't play ranked, so I kinda just forgot about Corple. :P

Most people do.

Fair enough, I can see how that could be useful. Though I personally never have trouble leveling Fee anyway since she starts with an existent (and quite nice) sword rank, can pass on Hero Lance anyway, so I'm more interested in an extra staff rank on promotion instead with a magic sword unless I don't feel like doing Horsety.

It's not whether or not Fee has trouble reaching promotion, it's that she can do it faster and be ludicrously awesome faster. It also gives her high defense which works quite well with her, being a melee fighter, and Ambush, which can be nice on occassion.

He'll...suck in C6, though, at least, since it's either Celice lolfest in draft/LTC runs and Del can only get one hit in at a time with a mediocre sword due to can't inherit Hero unless Lex somehow got the Silver Blade drop (since IDK how he would even be able to touch the Thunder Sword guy with WTA and a castle) , or in my more casual runs, swap Celice with Lakche.

Obviously his Chapter 6 is pretty terrible. But the thing is, it's not all that difficult to get the Hero Sword to Delmud if you desire. For one thing, it's not all that expensive and you can just wear it down to reduce the price tag of it. As for him not getting it because Celice will get it, while it is very awesome, Celice has ways of getting around the lack of a Hero Sword. He will inevitably get a high kill Silver Sword for instance and can take a Strength Ring for more ORKOs. If you play your cards right, you can get Celice promoted by Chapter 7 and then he won't need the Hero Sword. Besides, you get a second one from Patty/Daisy anyway.

As an aside, these arguments also apply to Tristan, though he has better offense with the Hero Sword thanks to Critical.

As for casual runs, if you're willing to give the Hero Sword to Lackhe, you are certainly able to give one to Delmud. I mean regardless of the style of play, its not even a contest that Delmud is better with the Hero Sword. If Delmud lacks Pursuit, he gets actually good offense and since he's mounted, he'll make better use of it. If Delmud has Pursuit, he'll have just as much offense as Lakche with it, but with 2 move and canto. Either way, Delmud certainly shitstomps her with it and Lackhe doesn't even need it to have good offense. Just give her a Silver Blade or Silver Sword.