A few tips on using Wil

MacLovin

Umm... Wil. Naw, he's pretty decent statwise. His growths are pretty nicely rounded (Defensive parameters aren't great with 5+20% Def and 0+25% Res but offensive are fine) and some of the better bows are nice (Killer Bow, Brave Bow, Silver Bow...). His problem is really with his bases (and the fact that he's an archer but we'll forget that for a moment). They're horrible. If his first few levels can't get him doubling and killing very weak enemies, it's time to statbooster him to hell and back.

Umm... Wil. Naw, he's pretty decent statwise. His growths are pretty nicely rounded (Defensive parameters aren't great with 5+20% Def and 0+25% Res but offensive are fine) and some of the better bows are nice (Killer Bow, Brave Bow, Silver Bow...). His problem is really with his bases (and the fact that he's an archer but we'll forget that for a moment). They're horrible. If his first few levels can't get him doubling and killing very weak enemies, it's time to statbooster him to hell and back.

Is his support list decent?

Well, he does have a bit of training time....

And has enough con to use steel bows..

So, I guess speedwings+ afas drops would work???

Edited by The Creeper

Wil supports Lyn, Rebecca, Rath, Dart, Wallace, and Raven. He has wind affinity, which means he'll get an offensive boost from Lyn, Rebecca, and Dart. The other three don't give very good bonuses, and they build up even slower. Whether or not Wil's supports are worthwhile is up to you to decide.

Wil supports Lyn, Rebecca, Rath, Dart, Wallace, and Raven. He has wind affinity, which means he'll get an offensive boost from Lyn, Rebecca, and Dart. The other three don't give very good bonuses, and they build up even slower. Whether or not Wil's supports are worthwhile is up to you to decide.

I guess if you're using Dart, Wil/Rebbecca would be decent..........

and They all share the same movement range.

But, can his speed get screwed up badly.

I.E.-

fe6 Wolt

Anyone can get Speed-screwed

Wil's Speed growth is the same as Bartre's. . .which in turn is the same as Lyn's Strength growth. Make use of this as you will.

:facepalm:

Is he worth using seriously in HNM??

All of Wil's stats are average-ish. None of them are really BAD (other than Res, but that's okay). However, most characters have at least one or two stats they excel in, the good ones being Str/Mag and Spd. Wil excels in absolutely nothing, and will therefore always be outclassed. And because he can only attack once per turn, he grows slower than most people, and that's what makes him :gasp: bad.

You'll have to play kind of slowly to really get him anywhere. He'll double and start ORKOing eventually, even in HHM. Just give him one of each kind of bow you can find other than Short Bows, to make him as flexible as possible, and he'll do his best. Stat boosters aren't really worth it, you get very little early on and the ones you do get don't help him (eg Dragonshield is useless for someone who fights on player phase and not on enemy phase).

All of Wil's stats are average-ish. None of them are really BAD (other than Res, but that's okay). However, most characters have at least one or two stats they excel in, the good ones being Str/Mag and Spd. Wil excels in absolutely nothing, and will therefore always be outclassed. And because he can only attack once per turn, he grows slower than most people, and that's what makes him :gasp: bad.

You'll have to play kind of slowly to really get him anywhere. He'll double and start ORKOing eventually, even in HHM. Just give him one of each kind of bow you can find other than Short Bows, to make him as flexible as possible, and he'll do his best. Stat boosters aren't really worth it, you get very little early on and the ones you do get don't help him (eg Dragonshield is useless for someone who fights on player phase and not on enemy phase).

Ohhh.

So, Like Eliwood and Erk-He simply turns out average.........

Oh well.

I'll just hand him the Brave Bow later on.

Here's the greatest tip on using Wil:

Don't use him.

Wil is pretty average, as others say. You're likely better off with Rebecca unless you pound Wil with EXP in Lyn Mode.

Also, nice name. Creeper is pretty cool - too bad he isn't seen often.

Edited by Colonel M

Here's the greatest tip on using Wil:

Don't use him.

Wil is pretty average, as others say. You're likely better off with Rebecca unless you pound Wil with EXP in Lyn Mode.

Also, nice name. Creeper is pretty cool - too bad he isn't seen often.

Well.

Considering the fact that eliwood and erk turn out "average"

I guess he would be OK.

And, BTW the Creeper is indeed among my Faves-Next to Plastic man and Zatara/Zantanna.

So, if Wil is being seriously used, would Wings and a Robe help??

Since. I get tired of Rebecca and 2 damage for every chip she does.

(Even with AA, imo-her durability sucks.)

And yes, I do plan on packing him with a level or so in LHM.

Lol tanking with Wallace in ch 9 and having Wil finish enemies.

Anyone can turn out godly with rng abusing.

Fe7 is the only FE that I have an idea how to low-turn.

And AA sucks.

Yeah.

From what I gather, a few LHM levels won't hurt.

Along with a wing, maybe a robe and a monopoly on the bows.

Since he is really frackin' hard to use efficiently.

(Drafts are getting to my head...... )

Wil's Speed growth is the same as Bartre's. . .which in turn is the same as Lyn's Strength growth. Make use of this as you will.

Ewww. I love Bartre but that speed growth of his...bleagh. I never really used Wil before. I think i did once and that was eons ago. Archers in general are a bit of a pain in the ass to raise anyway. I say though, if you wanna use him, go for it. I dunno if a Robe is necessary but speedwings might be. Maybe Afa's Drops too?

Unlike most people, I happen to be a fan of Wil (Note my avatar). Wil's speed is not the highest (but hardly the slowest), and he'll average around 16-17 SPD at the end of a hard mode run and 22 SPD on a normal mode run. Luckily for Wil, enemies are so slow in FE7 that he'll basically double almost everything end-game (and he has a 50% STR growth to boot), For most characters in FE7, SPD growth is simply a measure of how long it'll take them to double enemies, even in HHM (to a lesser extent, but still). Wil should hit level 5-7 without favoritism in LHM (and that's assuming no Lungdren abuse) and around C bows; he'll certainly, if used, hit B bows in time to start smashing crap with a Brave Bow by the time you get it in Dragon's Gate; due to his slight level advantage over Rebecca when he joins your crew (think Serra v. Priscilla level difference), his SPD should be high enough that there will only be a couple mid-game chapters (which are the easiest in general, anyways) where Rebecca will double and Wil won't, and Wil maintains a decent STR/HP/DEF advantage over Rebecca for the entire game. This is hardly saying that Wil is high tier (in a game with Raven and Pent and Heath? They basically got it nailed.), but he's a nice character when people get over his mediocre bases and actually use him.

Good places to level Wil:

Whereabouts Unknown - Long, narrow corridors where setting up barricades is a joke, archers that spawn in a locked room just begging to be killed by Wil/Beccy.

19xx - 2 archers and a sniper that require a durable 2-range character. *cough*Wil*cough*

New Resolve (Hard Mode) - What can I say? Tons of fliers (i.e. flying bags of experience) and the arena is good to Wil, because A) Arena tends to be easier on archers than most every other class and B) Rebecca cannot double arena enemies for the most part and gets torn apart like a paper bag compared to Wil. Get some easy.safe cash AND nag Wil a free level or two.

Genesis - Biggie. Kishuna has four enemies that surround him...high level promoted units that leave if you open the locked door to him IIRC. Unfortunately, due to the sniper, you'll either want a durable character or one with longbow (or usually both). Wil fits the bill perfectly here, and has a few extra turns to burn if you send him in the group heading West, which usually ends earlier anyways even on efficient runs. By the time you're looking at turns 9-10, Wil will like clear out most of the enemies with intelligent brave/killer/vulnerary use, and usually goes from level 12-14 to promoting or close to it.

EDIT: It's not Bartre's SPD growth, it's his SPD base. By that logic, Hector blows because his SPD growth is less than Bartre's.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

How is Wil durable again???

And I'll toss a wing, maybe a robe, and maybe Afas Drops.

And since this is not ranked, I could afford to go slower for Wil/Eliwood/Lyn/squishies.

It's more, I should say, that he is "more durable", tending to have more HP/DEF than other 2-range users (minus the obvious javelin/handaxe users). His level lead, combined with his decent HP growth, allows him to not be ORKO/2RKO'd by most enemies that would threaten to ORKO/2RKO Rebecca.

He's not like Oswin/Hector "LOL TINK" durable, more like Raven "FE7 enemies are so weak in general you'll have a hard time making me die" durable.

19xx - 2 archers and a sniper that require a durable 2-range character. *cough*Wil*cough*

Sorry but this is wrong. A 5+20% Def growth does not constitute as durable. Eliwood has a 5+30% growth in Def and he's not exactly praised for being made out of steel.

Edited by Bblader

Sorry but this is wrong. A 5+20% Def growth does not constitute as durable. Eliwood has a 5+30% growth in Def and he's not exactly praised for being made out of steel.

See my last post.

You can give him the Brave Bow AND the Speedwings, you know. The Speedwings comes really late, though (in HHM). It's obvious he'll want the Brave Bow if it's basically a Steel Bow that allows him to attack twice. By the time he gets it, he'll probably be promoted, so he won't have much issues doubling with 14 AS. Get him to lvl 20 before promoting him.

You can give him the Brave Bow AND the Speedwings, you know. The Speedwings comes really late, though (in HHM). It's obvious he'll want the Brave Bow if it's basically a Steel Bow that allows him to attack twice. By the time he gets it, he'll probably be promoted, so he won't have much issues doubling with 14 AS. Get him to lvl 20 before promoting him.

The Brave Bow usage for Wil is kind of weird. You don't actually use it as much as you think you would, unless Wil gets SPD screwed. Once Wil starts doubling, the Brave Bow is so heavy that he'll never double with it, but both killers and silvers don't cause him any SPD loss, so he'll own with those.

So Brave Bow is useful between Dragon's Gate and when Wil starts doubling (and if he's SPD blessed at all, he should actually be doing it by Dragon's Gate) to allow him to take advantage of his nice STR growth while letting him artificially double.

As for Angelic Robe, I don't think you'll need it with Wil. Energy drop (the chapter 10 one), if you use it on Wil (although I'd prefer on Lyn or somebody with STR issues), will allow him to do almost as much damage in one hit to most early-mid-game enemies with steel as Rebecca will do in two with iron.

But he'll always double with the Brave Bow, even if it weighted 100.

I meant x4, obviously (which is doubling with the brave, since it does strikes twice per attack). Brave bow is HEAVY (12 WT, while promoted Wil is looking at 7 CON). At the point where Wil reliably doubles, brave bow is unequivocally worse than killer (which will strike twice total as well with more crit) or silver (which will strike twice with more MT). I am, of course, making the obvious assumption that Wil isn't fast enough where he's going to double with the brave with a 5 SPD loss.