The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

53 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Cause they all became at least somewhat respected in the careers they chose to do. So in that sense, yes, they have grown. 

''They have grown'' is what the game tells us.

What i see is the same peeps i saw in CS1/2.

The series has a problem with show don't tell yes, but it's extra bad in CS (especially CS2).

54 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Except that there are significantly less mecha battles compared to human battles. And you can't even summon Valimar for three turns like you could in Cold Steel 2.

except almost every Major battle is hjacked by Mecha at the end.

10 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

If I didn't like them so much, I would even go so far as to say there was no point to them existing as major characters in the first place.

Yes. I agree with this. Introducing a new cast in the middle of an arc that already has a character bloat problem is not a good idea.

No matter how much i like them.

It was either leave old Class 7 to the background and concentrate on new cast, or don't bring a new cast if old Class 7 is gonna do everything anyway

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I want the characters to succeed

Ikr!

I have followed them for 100+ (or 200+) hours across 2 games. At the end of Sky & Crossbell i was able to see the growth of the cast, because i could defeat the antagonist (even if they had strong peeps in the party). Even in the first game of each Arc you defeat them (except if you are a scrub in FC and your rank was low than Cassius finishes off the final boss for you haha)

CS1 in the end we lose. Ok, acceptable, cliffhanger and all.

CS2 enemy is always holding back, to the very end. Gives the impression that the Party didn't grow at all.  ''but society is too strong!'' Dunno, give us strong peeps in the party like Olivier and Toby to make it believeable or something that we defeated them.

CS3 is pulling the same thing.

• Replies 180.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

What just utterly baffles me is the thought process behind this. What point is there to always ruin the protagonists' moment other than to completely devalue them and make them seem like weaklings? It's not even that I as the player want to feel like I succeeded. I want the characters to succeed, to have their moments where they're allowed to be awesome. But the Cold Steel games have this weird insistence of coming in and ruining everything with bullcrap like that.
And because they pull this shit constantly, it just becomes close to impossible for me to root for the characters you're supposed to care about.

Yeah, i don't get the point of it either. It's a lot worse than the typical "win the fight, lose the cutscene" trope.

If they wanted to show a situation where the heroes aren't strong enough to defeat the enemy, they could've gone the tactical retreat route. Xenoblade 2 has a great example of ths, i'm sure you remember the Morag fight at the end of Ch.2. Instead of Rex and the gang being bailed out by someone, they change their goal from "defeat Morag" to "lure her into a trap to make your escape". 

Cold Steel 3 (again, it doesn't bother me too much in previous games) always puts the characters in a checkmate situation so that they have to be bailed out by someone.

Don't get me wrong, i still like Cold Steel 3, but i did take a break (because of final exams (which are now done), my Godzilla and King Kong marathon, and trying to finish my no-Blade summon run of Xenoblade 2 before XenoblaDE comes out), and i haven't really had a chance to go back to it (i just finished up the first Raquel visit). And that break is allowing me to put some things into perspective. Such as Rean and the gang constantly being bailed out.

36 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Now that I think about it, you're right! Whatever happened to that one, Falcom?

To be fair, the only times you ever needed it was for Cryptid/Magic Knight fights. Though it was nice using it as a shield to tank crits that would've killed you or the party.

20 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

except almost every Major battle is hjacked by Mecha at the end.

Well i usually just see that as a "second phase to the chapter final boss" deal.

I think the bigger issue though is how it leads up to it though. It's literally just "oh btw, we can activate the big robot now, even though we couldn't before". And then it ends with "you won but our experiment was still a success which means we won" but that's just standard for most Trails games.

I don't mind the mech fight at the end but the context of it is a bit rough.

29 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Even in the first game of each Arc you defeat them (except if you are a scrub in FC and your rank was low than Cassius finishes off the final boss for you haha)

Wait.....

Do you mean

Spoiler

Cassius freeing Estelle and the gang from the arms of the robot or does he actually beat the final boss for you if you're too weak?

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

this happens if your Bracer Rank is low xD

How low are we talking? I didn't do a whole lot of sidequests in the Sky trilogy because there isn't a convinient method of getting around like in later games but i don't know if that had any effect.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

How low are we talking? I didn't do a whole lot of sidequests in the Sky trilogy because there isn't a convinient method of getting around like in later games but i don't know if that had any effect.

Honestly don'T remember. Must be lower than D or something

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

As far as I know, "underrated" means that something a person likes/thinks is good isn't getting enough attention in that person's eyes.

I personally think it's meaningless, too, since just because most others don't like what you do doesn't devalue your personal fondness for it.
The same holds true for the opposite. When something you like is considered "overrated" by some (or many) others, so what? You like it, and that's that.
Though I am guilty of using both terms in the past, especially the "overrated" thing. I could punch myself for it. 

I ended up getting reflective.

I'd say a good chunk of it comes from people wanting to try and make what they like a little more popular or appreciated by bringing it up in a forum or something similar and not have to do something that would otherwise require a lot of promotion on their part to change that situation.  Pretty much the opposite for similar talks on the overrated scene where people probably hope they might meet with someone else who agrees with them or just want to lure the people who do appreciate what they call overrated into wondering about what would make someone come to that conclusion.  A good chunk of it could stem from wanting to find approval of some kind from others, but I also think there's some hope for wish fulfillment to see what they enjoy flourish in other venues beyond what it's recognized as 

Case in point: I'd love for the Lunar games to be more popular, but it would at minimum require me buying copies of the games for A LOT of other people and hoping that everyone I gifted them to would all like them.  I'd basically do this because I would like a Lunar 3 and beyond as well as more fanart and some kind of anime adaptation.  For me it would definitely be easier to do than going on a spree to tell people, "Hey!  Don't buy the new Souls game!", this way I can not have to deal with elements of Souls games making their way into games I actually like.

I thought Dragon Song was technically Lunar 3, even if it's not a sequel.

Also, that reminded me, who thought of giving the first Lunar an iOS port... but not an Android one!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

When I'm not playing Animal Crossing or another game I should be getting to, I've been watching the cutscenes for Xenosaga Episode I. As a way to commemorate the occasion, let's have fun with "censorship!"

Try to guess which is the original and which is the edited version.

While I did went to check the answer, my guess was on...

Spoiler

Left as the edited, since it removes the violence against the... "child"? Looks like something that would be more concerning for someplace like the US. Also, no knife and less blood in general (although there is a scene where the left side shows more blood). Weapon and blood censorship is quite well known that side of the Pacific. Even if the decapitation itself shows more in the edited version than the original.

That's my assessment of the video, anyway.

Didn't noticed before checking, but another giveaway is the emblem on the guy's chest. Right has an X while the left is an upside down V. I already know those aspects about Xenosaga, so it wouldn't surprise me if that X isn't the Latin Alphabet X, but the Greek letter Chi. Which would also be the sort of thing to be changed for an US release.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

59 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

When I'm not playing Animal Crossing or another game I should be getting to, I've been watching the cutscenes for Xenosaga Episode I. As a way to commemorate the occasion, let's have fun with "censorship!"

Try to guess which is the original and which is the edited version.

Ah yes, arguably the most fucked up moment in all of Xeno. 

Spoiler

"Censored" version is the left one.

This moment cemented Albedo as one of the top three Xeno villains imo, along with Malos and then Jin or Egil (I tend to change my mind a lot on who's better between Jin and Egil).

Nice King Ghidorah pfp btw.

I only now discovered that Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier EXCEED got a finished fan translation last October.

I know what I'll be emulating starting tomorrow. I own the first and have always wanted to try the second.

And, relevant here, it has overrated KOS-MOS, and T-ELOS, and maybe some other Xenosaga character, judging from the very end of this all attack animations video I just watched.:

KOS-MOS seems out-of-place though, her attacks are too plain compared to everything else. Nonetheless, a translated DS game with KOS-MOS in it, what a novel idea.

And, is it normal for her breasts to be briefly exposed during D-Teneritas? Or was that a fanservicey SRTOGSEF modification does that mean a PXZ3 with  Pyra and Mythra (but no Rex of course- the Aegis don't need 'em) would do the same?

Can't say I know much of the Endless Frontier games, but they do seem to take fanservice into overdrive... which is already saying something, considering things.

Aw man, too bad EXCEED didn't got translated. Would've been the chance to see Amnesiac Silly Axel, after OG2... went WTH on his characterization...

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Can't say I know much of the Endless Frontier games, but they do seem to take fanservice into overdrive... which is already saying something, considering things.

Question- What is the first thing you say when you see a giant beanstalk?

Screen-Shot-2020-05-03-at-12-06-19-AM.pn

While I do take some issue with the gratuitous cut-ins during special attacks, especially for Alfimi because she is underaged and I liked her character in OG2, I laughed carefree at the first game's infinitely irreverently innuendous script. I can still do the same for the sequel I think.

The first game is nice lighthearted SRW anime narrative turn-based RPG, using the combat style established in Namco x Capcom and later reused in Project X Zone from what I know. It was fun, if a little repetitive.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Would've been the chance to see Amnesiac Silly Axel, after OG2... went WTH on his characterization...

You're a puppet! You're a puppet! You're a puppet! Why the s*** did you get to join the heroes in this game and I gotta die for Vindel, Lamia? Beowulffffffffff! *Code: Kirin*

Yes, Axel was not likable at all in OG2. No wonder I read he underwent a personality re-rewrite for the PS2 version and the later OGs.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

especially for Alfimi because she is underaged

She is? I never got that impression. She simply has a petite body. She can act child-like, sure, but at first that had to do with simply not being that used in acting, well, human. She is an Einst, after all. Can't talk about her personality from OG Gaiden onward, though.

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

She is? I never got that impression. She simply has a petite body. She can act child-like, sure, but at first that had to do with simply not being that used in acting, well, human. She is an Einst, after all. Can't talk about her personality from OG Gaiden onward, though.

She looks like a loli to me. And we can try to estimate her age using what we know, so I wouldn't put her at being anything past 13 at very best.

I don't know anything about her post-OG2 personality either, but EXCEED, operating on the premise the fan translation is good, will now provide me with a glimpse at what became of it after her There Is Absolutely No Way She Could've Lived Or Ended Up In Another Dimension Without Several Dozen Mecha And Two Battleships Noticing Death. I'm hopefully wishing the personality doesn't pander to lolicons too much or worse, I discover I am one.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

The balance of the gameplay in Cold Steel 3 reminds me a bit on Zestiria's. And this comprison is not a good thing at all. Whilst in Zestiria armatization is required to beat bosses, in Cold Steel the brave orders are essential to beat the bosses. I have to play on easy which is already a shame - in exchange not using brave orders at all - and I still die. I tried the Le Guin fight a half dozen times yesterday with different quartz set and I had zero chance to bring her down to 70% because she got too many turns and her s-craft oneshotted Rean.

Edited by Falcom Knight

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

She looks like a loli to me. And we can try to estimate her age using what we know, so I wouldn't put her at being anything past 13 at very best.

I don't know anything about her post-OG2 personality either, but EXCEED, operating on the premise the fan translation is good, will now provide me with a glimpse at what became of it after her There Is Absolutely No Way She Could've Lived Or Ended Up In Another Dimension Without Several Dozen Mecha And Two Battleships Noticing Death. I'm hopefully wishing the personality doesn't pander to lolicons too much or worse, I discover I am one.

Well, I know it's a trope and all, but sometimes one simply... looks younger than their apparent age. Well, not that it applies with Alfimi, since her actual age is like... well, she was created only a year before the story begins (whether it's OGverse or her game of origin, SRW Impact).

Yeah, about that... well, not sure if to spoil or not.

Spoiler

Don't count of EXCEED showing you much about Alfimi's actual personality, since she's in the same boat as Axel. Amnesiac, so her personality is on "mostly winging it" mode, like Axel's. Which means it's also at the mercy of Endless Frontier being... well, Endless Frontier. You'll see what I'm talking about, eventually. So... prepare to be disappointed... maybe...

How the hell am I supossed to beat Le Guin?

Even fucking brave orders and defense buffs don't help.

PS: I'm playing on easy.

I can say already - despite not having played about 75% yet - it's the worst balanced Trails game I've played yet.

PS: I won in my eighth attempt, but only because he did a lucky critcounter - despite having no evasion at all - which was barely enough before she could do her "thing".

Still it's so frustrating considering I playthroughed CS II on normal without having any serious problems at all and completed Sky 3rd on nightmare till chapter 5 (with some issues but it's not unexpected) that I can't even do CS III on easy.

It really feels like Zestiria to me which I had to finish as only Tales of game on lowest difficulty because of its non existing balance.

In general I really hope CS IV doesn't have these brave orders and better party balance.

Edited by Falcom Knight

10 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

It was either leave old Class 7 to the background and concentrate on new cast, or don't bring a new cast if old Class 7 is gonna do everything anyway

Exactly!

10 hours ago, Shrimperor said:
Ikr!

I have followed them for 100+ (or 200+) hours across 2 games. At the end of Sky & Crossbell i was able to see the growth of the cast, because i could defeat the antagonist (even if they had strong peeps in the party). Even in the first game of each Arc you defeat them (except if you are a scrub in FC and your rank was low than Cassius finishes off the final boss for you haha)

This right here is actually story-gameplay integration at its finest, I think. You do badly? Well, let daddy handle things from here.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

If they wanted to show a situation where the heroes aren't strong enough to defeat the enemy, they could've gone the tactical retreat route. Xenoblade 2 has a great example of ths, i'm sure you remember the Morag fight at the end of Ch.2. Instead of Rex and the gang being bailed out by someone, they change their goal from "defeat Morag" to "lure her into a trap to make your escape".

Oh yes, I absolutely LOVED that scene! I started Xenoblade 2 off the back of CS3, all the bailout bullcrap was still fresh in my mind, so it felt so damn refreshing to finally, finally see the "the boss was actually too strong for the party" thing done right.
My first reaction to that was legitimately "THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT, FALCOM!"

I found it pretty funny that in the aftermath, everyone in Gormott is mad at you for destroying that tower. XD

Don't get me wrong, i still like Cold Steel 3

I wouldn't be ragging on it like I did if I didn't care on some level, either.
I do see a potentially great game trilogy in there, but nearly everything I like about it is cancelled out by something I hate.

And then it ends with "you won but our experiment was still a success which means we won" but that's just standard for most Trails games.

This crap is so freaking annoying in CS (don't want to assume things about the other games, so I specify the ones I've played), because, as is the case with their "plans", those "experiments" are so ill-defined, Ouroboros may as well be bluffing.
But that is more an issue with Ouroboros being vague and mysterious for the sake of it.

9 hours ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

I ended up getting reflective.

I'd say a good chunk of it comes from people wanting to try and make what they like a little more popular or appreciated by bringing it up in a forum or something similar and not have to do something that would otherwise require a lot of promotion on their part to change that situation.  Pretty much the opposite for similar talks on the overrated scene where people probably hope they might meet with someone else who agrees with them or just want to lure the people who do appreciate what they call overrated into wondering about what would make someone come to that conclusion.  A good chunk of it could stem from wanting to find approval of some kind from others, but I also think there's some hope for wish fulfillment to see what they enjoy flourish in other venues beyond what it's recognized as

I think this hits the nail on the head as far as the reasoning behind the phrase goes.

Edited by DragonFlames

New class VII is so bad, it hurts.

The part with old class VII at the end of chapter 1 was perfectly fine regarding diffculty.

But dealing with the scum who can't even take two hits is just painful.

There was one battle I was delayed literally to death, I got no single turn!

And yeah, it's not that I don't give my team the good quartz it's just that I totally have not enough sepith to make / upgrade slots.

I will play this game on easy without these orders because it's still enough of a challenge for me.

I don't even feel bad because it's not easy at all.

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I wouldn't be ragging on it like I did if I didn't care on some level, either.

Yeah

The reason why i rant so much is because i am a fan of the series from the very beginning, and i am not happy with it's current state.

Just like FE oldies during fatesawakening era.

5 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

New class VII is so bad, it hurts.

The part with old class VII at the end of chapter 1 was perfectly fine regarding diffculty.

It's exactly the other way around with me haha.

New Class 7 have so much better stats, and when i get old class 7 i have to sit for like 30 minutes to get them up to speed.

>Emma has 100 less ATS than Altina and 35(!) less Speed
>Alisa, a clear magical unit, comes with a useless Physical set, also like 25 less speed than new class 7
>Machias comes with a defensive set. Defense is useless in Trails

7 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

ow the hell am I supossed to beat Le Guin?

Proxy puppet

Edited by Shrimperor