• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Nobody said:

Do it. There's really no shame in dropping the difficulty. You don't need to restart from the beginning, you can lower it on the map. Hard/Casual using map saves and reseting when units die sounds right for you.

HP growths are way lower in Fates.

I once had an level 40 Azura with 22 HP lol

i didn't really know you could drop to casual mode, only to normal, i'm doing that, at this point i wish they'd just make casual mode the default, they don't even bother actually killing story relevant units, so they should just make the classic losing units a limitation people can impose on themselves if they want

5 minutes ago, Pull My Devil Trigger said:

i didn't really know you could drop to casual mode, only to normal, i'm doing that, at this point i wish they'd just make casual mode the default, they don't even bother actually killing story relevant units, so they should just make the classic losing units a limitation people can impose on themselves if they want

I mean, both options are there, what difference does it make?

3 minutes ago, Pull My Devil Trigger said:

like, the whole "units die when they are killed" mechanic is kinda useless when the game never recognizes it in the narrative, it's not fun for casuals and people that like it can just... not use those units after they die?

i kinda want to make a thread about this, but i'll wait to see how echoes handles shit before

11 minutes ago, Pull My Devil Trigger said:

the best game doesn't even have permadeath

No, but really, WHY remove classic when you already have the option to go casual?

IS would only piss off people who like classic like me

Edited by Nobody

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

No, but really, WHY remove classic when you already have the option to go casual?

IS would only piss off people who like classic like me

Because it serves no purpose, you can play with classic rules on casual mode just fine while you can't do the opposite

The games don't have an Ironman mode but plenty of people play it like that just fine for exemple

4 minutes ago, Pull My Devil Trigger said:

Because it serves no purpose, you can play with classic rules on casual mode just fine while you can't do the opposite

The games don't have an Ironman mode but plenty of people play it like that just fine for exemple

It does serve an purpose. A psychological one. "just don't use it" is an awful argument.

What purpose does removing it serve?

"you can play with classic rules on casual mode just fine while you can't do the opposite"

I mean, the option to play on casual is still there.

I'd legitimately quit the series and never look back if they removed classic. Because I'd feel like I'd be playing a lame ass game without anything stopping me from cheesing it.

Edited by Nobody

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

It does serve an purpose. A psychological one. "just don't use it" is an awful argument.

"you can play with classic rules on casual mode just fine while you can't do the opposite"

That's my point, when "casual" is the default, you have the option to play how you want, you don't need some fancy game mode for that, these are simple rules that you can apply yourself

The mechanic would be interesting if they actually made good use of it narratively, but that's not what happens

10 minutes ago, Pull My Devil Trigger said:

That's my point, when "casual" is the default, you have the option to play how you want, you don't need some fancy game mode for that, these are simple rules that you can apply yourself

The mechanic would be interesting if they actually made good use of it narratively, but that's not what happens

You do need a game mode. It's like saying difficulty settings shouldn't exist because "you can do self challenges". Like, Fire Emblem plays completely differently on casual as it does on classic. Just an exemple:

1 hour ago, Pull My Devil Trigger said:

just one guy you put in the wrong tile in the 12th turn ruins everything and makes you go through all that shit again zzzzz

On casual mode, this wouldn't happen. You don't like this, but there are people who do. If intelligent systems did this, then someone who generally plays on classic could get distracted on turn twelve and play badly. Then, since they spent a lot of time on the chapter, they think "Oh well, I'll let it slide this time". And then the tension and difficulty of the game is entirely gone. 

Removing classic is just removing options, which is objectively a bad thing. The series would go from being a challenging one to a trivial one, because Casual completely removes the challenge from it, and "aplying rules yourself" is not real difficulty.

I still don't understand WHY you would want classic removed when you can already play on casual. You'd literally just make the game infinitely worse for many people while adding absolutely nothing to those who play on casual.

Edited by Nobody

This week ain't passing fast enough. Football tomorrow, elections on Sunday... actually, good riddance, once it's over.

Most importantly my birthday is already on Monday! Gah, quarter of a century alive...

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This week ain't passing fast enough. Football tomorrow, elections on Sunday... actually, good riddance, once it's over.

Most importantly my birthday is already on Monday! Gah, quarter of a century alive...

Happy almost birthday. Remind me to congratulate you come the occasion.

7 hours ago, Nobody said:

I'd legitimately quit the series and never look back if they removed classic. Because I'd feel like I'd be playing a lame ass game without anything stopping me from cheesing it.

do you reset when units die anyway? (this is a rhetorical question because i already know)

On 10/15/2017 at 2:58 PM, Nobody said:

No ironman is for losers and makes no sense

the priority should be keeping all characters alive because that pushes you to learn better strategies and also no one should be a heartless bastard who lets unit die

savescumming is still a form of Power Word: Reload

while i do think there is something to be said about the possibility of "death" of your characters, that is severely diminished if you aren't playing ironman/hardcore

(he says as he is playing fallout games and reloads saves when something doesn't go his way :sob:)

Edited by Edgelord

i'm not saying that having the tension of fear of losing a character is bad, it's that having that and yet resetting anyway is wasting our time and is pretty autistic. i mean i do it too but it doesn't make much sense to me.

gamers rise up xd

I like roguelikes approach (or games like Rogue Legacy) to this when you just lose that character and either restart completely or continue.

Edited by Edgelord

1 hour ago, Edgelord said:

i'm not saying that having the tension of fear of losing a character is bad, it's that having that and yet resetting anyway is wasting our time and is pretty autistic. i mean i do it too but it doesn't make much sense to me.

gamers rise up xd

I like roguelikes approach (or games like Rogue Legacy) to this when you just lose that character and either restart completely or continue.

No it’s not. Reseting is a punishment. You lose the most precious resource, time. No one wants to reset. Classic mode, even if you’re reseting when an unit dies, makes you play the game carefully and avoid suicidal strategies. You can’t use unit as bait or disposable resources, you have to do the math, count range, etc. i mean, tonton being mad after the mistakes he made when being careless and losing units should be proof enough of this. The game punishes you hardly if you don’t pay attention or use bad strategies. I mean, you don’t think spending 8 hours on a single chapter isn’t a punishment? lol

i’m done with this subject: if you want classic removed you’re worse than Hitler, I hope IS never listens to you and playing on classic and reseting when an unit die is the right way to play fire emblem and if you disagree you don’t know what fire emblem is about and fuck you :)

Edited by Nobody