• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically my girlfriend of 1 year is really into video games, plays every major title that comes out. I've never been able to really relate to this but I've always supported her. Lately, she's been very excited for the new Smash Nintendo game, especially because her favorite character, Chrom, is in it.

Of course, I was happy for her and listened to her talk about how amaaaazing he is, explain the game, etc. But then I noticed she changed her phone background, previously a picture of us, to - you guessed it - Chrom. This single act of subordination of our relationship in favor of some fake guy in Nintendo sparked a slow burning fire in my mind.

I started noticing things. She has two different figurines of this guy on her desk, even though she's a huge minimalist. She's got a pin of him on her bag but no other characters because she "doesn't want to seem like a weeb!" Sometimes she unlocks her phone just to look at him and then relocks it. She posts this entire rant about how he's such a good character, literally three pages single spaced about this fake Nintendo guy. I try and joke about being left out but really these are all ingredients slowly being added to my mental stew of absolute rage.

Yesterday, that stew spilled. She's going to her friends house to play Smash (an earlier version) to practice. I'm laying on the couch and she says, to my face, "I have to be ready for when my husband comes out!" Suddenly, I snapped. I told her I was going too and basically ran to her friend's house. As soon as we get there, I DEMAND to play a match with the best person in the room.

Now remember: I don't play video games. I've just never had time for that sort of thing. But in this moment, I was the man. I could feel adrenaline pounding in my system, I was thinking back to the combos I used in one round of Mortal Combat I played with my cousin in high school. I really thought I was ready. I grabbed the dumb controller and looked around for my opponent. Lo and behold, the one I was against was nobody but my own girlfriend. All for the better right? Now she'll see firsthand how much better than Chrom I am.

Wrong. She offered to teach me how to play, but I basically said fuck that, all I have to know is to hit. She offers to set me up with the guy she plays with since he's strong and easy, but I said fuck that too, I'll pick whoever I want. My one condition was that she play Chrom. She tries explaining, "no, I can't, he's not in this one," and I start to freak. I tell her to just pick whoever's most like him, so she does, and I pick Mario, since I actually know who that is. The game starts and she's going easy on me. I'm sweating so hard it's showing through my shirt, but I tell her not to let me win, that I want to see her give it her all. She kicks my ass. I don't get a single punch in, her guy is just slashing me with the sword, grabbing me and throwing me and then slashing me again, I'm flying off the screen, her friends are dying of laughter. I cry. I fucking start crying. I run out. I go back to my place and respond to her texts to say I just need space.

Today she's going to the Smash Nintendo launch with a friend. To go buy Chrom, who I can't beat. I don't know why I'm so upset about this or why I feel so inferior to this guy. I just know that if it came down to me or him, she would choose him. How do I put this behind me?

tl;dr my girlfriend really likes chrom, and in the battle for her heart i lost. what do i do now to keep my dignity

Edited by Nobody

6 hours ago, Nobody said:

So basically my girlfriend of 1 year is really into video games, plays every major title that comes out. I've never been able to really relate to this but I've always supported her. Lately, she's been very excited for the new Smash Nintendo game, especially because her favorite character, Chrom, is in it.

Of course, I was happy for her and listened to her talk about how amaaaazing he is, explain the game, etc. But then I noticed she changed her phone background, previously a picture of us, to - you guessed it - Chrom. This single act of subordination of our relationship in favor of some fake guy in Nintendo sparked a slow burning fire in my mind.

I started noticing things. She has two different figurines of this guy on her desk, even though she's a huge minimalist. She's got a pin of him on her bag but no other characters because she "doesn't want to seem like a weeb!" Sometimes she unlocks her phone just to look at him and then relocks it. She posts this entire rant about how he's such a good character, literally three pages single spaced about this fake Nintendo guy. I try and joke about being left out but really these are all ingredients slowly being added to my mental stew of absolute rage.

Yesterday, that stew spilled. She's going to her friends house to play Smash (an earlier version) to practice. I'm laying on the couch and she says, to my face, "I have to be ready for when my husband comes out!" Suddenly, I snapped. I told her I was going too and basically ran to her friend's house. As soon as we get there, I DEMAND to play a match with the best person in the room.

Now remember: I don't play video games. I've just never had time for that sort of thing. But in this moment, I was the man. I could feel adrenaline pounding in my system, I was thinking back to the combos I used in one round of Mortal Combat I played with my cousin in high school. I really thought I was ready. I grabbed the dumb controller and looked around for my opponent. Lo and behold, the one I was against was nobody but my own girlfriend. All for the better right? Now she'll see firsthand how much better than Chrom I am.

Wrong. She offered to teach me how to play, but I basically said fuck that, all I have to know is to hit. She offers to set me up with the guy she plays with since he's strong and easy, but I said fuck that too, I'll pick whoever I want. My one condition was that she play Chrom. She tries explaining, "no, I can't, he's not in this one," and I start to freak. I tell her to just pick whoever's most like him, so she does, and I pick Mario, since I actually know who that is. The game starts and she's going easy on me. I'm sweating so hard it's showing through my shirt, but I tell her not to let me win, that I want to see her give it her all. She kicks my ass. I don't get a single punch in, her guy is just slashing me with the sword, grabbing me and throwing me and then slashing me again, I'm flying off the screen, her friends are dying of laughter. I cry. I fucking start crying. I run out. I go back to my place and respond to her texts to say I just need space.

Today she's going to the Smash Nintendo launch with a friend. To go buy Chrom, who I can't beat. I don't know why I'm so upset about this or why I feel so inferior to this guy. I just know that if it came down to me or him, she would choose him. How do I put this behind me?

tl;dr my girlfriend really likes chrom, and in the battle for her heart i lost. what do i do now to keep my dignity

Thank you

Seeing that Soul is possibly perma banned, it bothers me a little that this forum is harder on shitposts than on bigotry. Twisted priorities. Even the bigots that get banned tend to be banned for shitposting or harrassing an specific person, rather than their bigoted opinions themselves.

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

Seeing that Soul is possibly perma banned, it bothers me a little that this forum is harder on shitposts than on bigotry. Twisted priorities. Even the bigots that get banned tend to be banned for shitposting or harrassing an specific person, rather than their bigoted opinions themselves.

i guess, though it's not like those people come right out and say "I hate blacks and jews". these days, it's more about cloaking your words in shit like "race realist"

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

imagine letting someone spew their racist rethoric as long as they did in the cali shootings thread and when finally banning the user, it was for trolling.

18 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

i guess, though it's not like those people come right out and say "I hate blacks and jews". these days, it's more about cloaking your words in shit like "race realist"

I don't hate them I just think that they're going to collapse my w e s t e r n c i v i l i z a t i o n

including those bean people, who are definitely not "Western"

somehow 

2 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Woah, I didn't know Soul was permabanned.

I didn't know what he exactly did to get this kind of punishment, but I never ever have seen him any kind of offense like Chiki did.

It's really a loss for SF.

Did that soul thread you made get removed?

it was probably a bad idea but also the potential flame war could have been funny

tragic 

46 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

well, maybe i'm being ureasonable and years of browsing oldneogaf/resetera turned me into a safe space obsessed sjw, but on resetera for exemple, saying you voted for Bolsonaro (without saying anything else more bigoted) gets you a perma ban, and i'm 100% okay with it. I've seen some bad shit that went unpunished in this forum.

But the last thing I want is to start a fight with the mod team over this. I just stay in this topic most of the time I'm on this forum anyway.

Edited by Nobody
i cant english

Resetera is far too heavy handed with its moderation quite often. That place makes me roll my eyes, honestly.

Not that I'm really going to do much other than not go there.

though, consider the fact that people consider this place a sjw hellhole already. i find that funny

i rather have some stricter rules on what you can/cannot say than let this be a "100% free speech safe haven" which usually attracts the worst kinds of people and discourses

7 minutes ago, Яei Яei said:

i rather have some stricter rules on what you can/cannot say than let this be a "100% free speech safe haven" which usually attracts the worst kinds of people and discourses

Yeah 

and to be fair, most places that aren't 4chan usually have "don't meme about the holocaust" in the rules

to be completely honest it's not like twitter, tumblr and facebook, which are three of the biggest social networks around, have rules (or at the very least, an active and coherent rule enforcement mechanism) that takes away the platform from bigots in general.

but at the very least I expect places like SF, which is considerably smaller, to have a more well rounded set of rules.

2 minutes ago, shezzy said:

Banning someone just because they said nothing more than that they voted for bolsonaro is completely ridiculous. That’s literally just democracy, this is basically thought-police shit

i'm not okay with banning people for *just* saying that, although i do want the freedom to make fun of them

also fuck moro

that piece of shit

tbh i agree

but it's likely they'll say some dumb shit after that is reasonable to punish

the most you could say is that there is probably a lot of ignorant people that would think bolsonaro is actually going to be looking out for them

Edited by Tryhard

6 minutes ago, shezzy said:

Banning someone just because they said nothing more than that they voted for bolsonaro is completely ridiculous. That’s literally just democracy, this is basically thought-police shit

internet forums aren't democracies