[FE4] Rate the Unit VIII

Caliban of Sycorax

He used three fucking points of bias. That is pretty serious when it can affect a score.

Really, bias can be anything though. I could be biased toward ranked playthroughs, so my scores would be skewed by that. Or I could be biased towards LTC playthroughs, which would have a profound effect on my scores. Or I could hate a character for appearance/story/whatever the reason, and I would not use them in a playthrough, which TO ME would make them fairly useless, resulting in a low score.

While that last one would seem "unfair" or "stupid" to most people, it doesn't change the fact that it exists. If we aren't counting scores because we think they are "outside the norm" or we don't like the justification, then there's no point in making any "rate the unit" topics. We could just assign Sigurd a 10, Ethlin a 9, etc. and move on because we wouldn't need any opinions on the matter when we already have the generally agreed upon opinion.

Bias is fine when it's gameplay related. The 1 point bias is to prevent people from going "oh I hate the character for story reasons 0/10" when the character may, in fact, be the most amazing and powerful combination of Seth and Sigurd and Haar with no weaknesses whatsoever and is undisputedly the best character in the game on a pure gameplay basis, while still allowing them to show their preferences when it comes to hawtness or personality without affecting the overall score by too much. If it's something like "Having a horse is awesome +3" or the difference between "shitty combat -1" vs "combat on a T1 healer is amazing enough already +1" nobody has an issue with that.

Scores that are outside the norm are not discarded if they are backed up with reason. I remember in FE7's, most people gave Prissy a high score (8-10) and Horace came and gave her a 5.5 but explained his views clearly. That's far below the norm, but he had a valid reason and the score was accepted.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Narga's right. That sounds a lot like 2 points of bias. Make it 6.5/10 or justify why Ethlin gets 5.5 or it's not counting.

Dude, he said 6.5 if the 2nd point is biased.

In this instance though, Ethlin was given a 5.5, with justification to go along with it. Yeah, there was a point taken off for bias, but there were other aspects of Ethlin that affect gameplay that he clearly outlined as things that were negative for him. While some people may not think that points should be taken off Ethlin for not being able to pair with other characters or whatever, he did and that seems like a legitimate gameplay reason.

Yeah, there's a difference I guess in gameplay bias and bias that has nothing to do with gameplay, but unless its super obvious that that's the case (something like SIGURD HAS BLUE HAIR, 0/10) it can be hard to distinguish between the two. And I think we're going a little overboard in telling people "sorry, I don't agree with how you value characters in a gameplay sense, SUCKS TO SUCK NO SCORE FOR YOU".

Eh, while I've never played FE4 and therefore cannot rate Ethlin or any other unit, the post in question seemed to me to take off multiple points for pretty much the same point. The first two points, I thought were reasonable. Leaving early and low staff cap, if I recall correctly. Half a point was taken off for coming with a lover and not being pairable. No comment on that. The last two points were pretty much, "bringing a baby to the desert", even if the poster added that it made Altenna annoying to recruit and the Gae Bolg unavailable. Like I said, I know nothing about FE4, but is it really fair to dock units for ... other characters' availabilities and recruitment, or holding onto a weapon so that it cannot be used until later? Especially since from what I've read about FE4, ALL characters seem to be hiding a multitude of weapons under their clothing?

They're more or less calling the guy out for deducting too much storylinewise, though, since the Gaebolg availability issue and bringing baby to the desert are both storyline related (and hell, Gaebolg is better than no Gaebolg ever), and under pretty much the same event (bringing baby into desert caused ALtenna to be kidnapped and them dead so it's basically the same exact point),even if there weren't a cap on storyline-induced bias, I don't think he should have taken off 2 points for something that really only costs 1. I personally am completely neutral on the not being paired thing since I see it going both ways so I'm not gonna say anything on it.

Edit: ninja.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

this correction stuff is getting way out of hand, it's like you're saying "well if you don't agree, then we'll discard your opinion"

it's easy to tell when people are trolling (like banzai), but baldrick is being serious, so let him have his way. i gave some questionable scores in the FE7 topics but no one questioned them (presumably because everyone takes me seriously)

Edited by dondon151

He used three fucking points of bias. That is pretty serious when it can affect a score.

If you were looking to get the "truest" score, you wouldn't allow any bias at all. Even with my three points of bias (since the points about Gaebolg and the fixed pairing affect Cuan and Leaf rather than Ethlin, so technically they're bias as well) Ethlin will be positively skewed, because at least 4 people gave her a bias point. I guess you could say that if most people like her, she should be skewed, but my opinion's worth three times as much as anybody else's, and should be scaled as such. :P:

(That last statement was a joke, btw)