Best/Worst in the Series Round 129

NinjaMonkey

Well, whether you wanna butcher the english language or not, there's my votes anyway. :|

(I actually edited my post for further elaboration but w/e)

Guess what? YOU are the one butchering it by treating best/worst like most/least. Good job!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Only girls are innocent.

> :/

Hey, I put Ross in there.

So since I must conform to the retarded english in this thread.

Mist is the best at being innocent!

Gheb is the worst at being innocent!

<3

Edited by Klokinator

Hey, I put Ross in there.

So since I must conform to the retarded english in this thread.

Mist is the best at being innocent!

Gheb is the worst at being innocent!

<3

You still fail.

Let me make an example for you.

I decide that there are only 3 innocent looking characters in the series. Mist, Amelia, and Florina.

Now, I say to myself, "self, on what grounds shall I judge best/worst? Well, how about turn count efficiency? Ok, cool"

Now, clearly, Florina is the "best" innocent-looking character (flight, chance at decent stats, etc etc) and Amelia is the "worst" innocent-looking character (should be obvious).

Do you understand yet? Probably not, so let's try another example.

I decide that there are only 3 innocent looking characters in the series. Mist, Amelia, and Florina.

Now, I say to myself, "self, on what grounds shall I judge best/worst? Well, how about hairstyle? Ok, cool"

Now, imo, Mist has the best hair and Florina has the worst hair, so my vote would be

best: Mist

worst: Florina.

Do you understand yet?

edit: hell, even under your "retarded" interpretation of the topic, you still fail because you talk about what Gheb does rather than how he looks. 'cause, you know, the topic says "innocent-looking"?

Edited by Narga_Rocks

So you're not asking which characters are the best at being innocent or not being innocent, you're asking about their battle readiness or how good they are, and I may only choose from so-called "innocent" looking characters. So I must choose which characters look innocent (Perhaps Gheb is more innocent than you think?) and then choose which are the best/worst in a battle capacity (Or personality or whatever) and label them as such.

To be fair, I only remember reading this

In this round you are supposed to vote for innocent-looking characters only. How you determine which innocent-looking character is the best or worst however, is up to you.

earlier in the thread, which was ambiguous and it didn't explain much. Perhaps trying making OP's more clear and there won't have to be english debates.

So, if this is about what I think I understand it to be, now that it's clarified.

Ross = Best.

Nino = Worst.

so apparently Ross is a girl now.

That's my preferred definition. If you think about it, most males of any age in the FE games, even removing the virgin girl part, would not be very fitting. Most males are "gung-ho, kill em all" sorts of dudes.

edit: hell, even under your "retarded" interpretation of the topic, you still fail because you talk about what Gheb does rather than how he looks. 'cause, you know, the topic says "innocent-looking"?

Actually, when I originally wrote that, before launching into a debate, I had a different thought process going.

First I picked out the most innocent characters I could think of, to prepare for selecting the most innocent, which I judged to be Mist.

Then, I chose the least innocent character I could think of, which is Gheb, and I think it should be a given he looks about as un-innocent as possible.

Hence my original votes. I shall try to pay more attention to topics in the future.

Edited by Klokinator

I will be willing to agree that the first post is ambiguous (although NM thought it was obvious all along, for some reason), but I thought where NM stated "innocent-looking characters only" made it clear that everyone must be innocent looking. And since best/worst at looking innocent doesn't make any sense when coupled with only being allowed to vote for innocent looking, it should then logically follow that best/worst means something else. Consider "Best Red-haired Unit". You don't assume that this is "best/worst at having red hair". No, it is "of the subset of characters with red hair, which is best/worst". Similarly, then, it follows that "best/worst innocent looking character" would actually mean "of the subset of characters that look innocent, which is best/worst".

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Yeah but it's innocent-looking, not innocent on itself. Might as well just rename the thing to best/worst loli/shota (though I'd be excluding some innocent-looking adults but oh well), since that'd clear shit up a lot more.

Out of the guys, Asvel definitely looks innocent, as do Yubello, Lugh, etc.

Plenty of little boys here without sinister expressions. Not as much as the little girls, but not just Ross, either.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Yeah but it's innocent-looking, not innocent on itself. Might as well just rename the thing to best/worst loli/shota (though I'd be excluding some innocent-looking adults but oh well), since that'd clear shit up a lot more.

I'm not that good with judging the appearance of innocence, hence me not voting in this topic, but isn't it possible to look innocent without being a loli/shota?

Hence my edit. 's just most loli/shotas look innocent (only exception I can think of is Ray), though few adults in the series do apply, like Leanne. They're just...far less common.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

The SNES games, I've only played FE4 once (Those big maps are horrible and fuck backtracking) and FE5 twice, neither were translated, neither left character impressions on me, except that Othin is a badass. I've only played like 10% of FE10, 70% of FE9 (One time, at that) and only 2 chapters of FE6, so this limits me, storywise, to FE7, 8, and a portion of 9 that I can remember. And in those three games, not many boys qualify lolol.

Perhaps trying making OP's more clear and there won't have to be english debates.

Depending on my mood I find arguing like this fun, so I'm happy for NinjaMonkey to continue to make ambiguous first (and later) posts. It's good times. :P:

I forgot about him. I reaaaaally didn't pay much attention to FE9's characters. I liked Soren a ton, I liked Ike (lolollololol) and I likes Titania. That's about it for characters that interested me.

Depending on my mood I find arguing like this fun, so I'm happy for NinjaMonkey to continue to make ambiguous first (and later) posts. It's good times. :P:

I don't get to debate english much either, everyone I know is an idiot.

But you do realize that saying, specifically, "best innocent" is not correct english right? If "best" is saying "best at being innocent", anyway. In that case, it's "most". I wouldn't have debated it if I'd realized you meant what we both now know you mean :P

Edited by Klokinator

Best: Fa. She really is adorable. <3

Honourable Mentions: Treck(the guys is really clueless xD), Lugh, Lilina(damn FE6 has lots of nice innocent looking characters), Ewan, Rolf, Edward,Eirika. Oh yeah, WRYYYSSSSSS and Gonzales. *sniff*, poor bandit.

Worst: Florina. I HATE HER!!!

Dishonourable mentions: Priscilla, Serra,. Um... FE9!Jill.

Worst: FE9 Rolf. I just don't like how he takes a metric ton of effort to train, and you don't get nearly enough output back. Dishonorable mention to Meg and Sophia.

Best: Fa. She's simply adorable, even in dragon form.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Best: Rolf

Worst: Fa

Well, the Fire Emblem series is about war... well obviously... but this series in particular has always emphasized that war is a bad thing, as well as a complicated one. The former is for example expressed that your characters, with their unique personalities, backgrounds and dreams, actually die when they are killed. The subject of slavery is brought up every now and then and what Lakche talked about in FE4 chapter 6 sounded particularly disturbing. (Though maybe it was just the translators being creative.) The latter is represented by putting you against opponents who are supposed to be sympathetic and that you wouldn't want to kill but can't avoid to do so. Camus, Ishtor, Reinhardt and Shiharam for example, there are tons. The resulting atmosphere is probably one of the biggest reasons I love the series. But those "innocent characters" serve mostly the purpose to destroy that atmosphere. Especially in the GBA games where supports gave them the opportunity to speak after they were recruited and they seem to be completely unaffected by the dead and destruction around them.

And Fa is the worst of them because she is the most childlike of them, she is always cheery, innocent and stuff... and a freaking dragon. And not just any dragon, a Divine Dragon. Imagine how Fa's contribution to the battles would look like realistically. She would be able to torch huge parts of the Bern army, racking up a body count of thousands all by herself... and then in the evening she would pay a visit to Elphin and ask him whether he is a boy or girl. Does nobody have a problem sending out a little girl like her on the battlefield? Why is she so unfazed by the death she causes? The whole thing feels so horrible awkward.

Rolf is the whole opposite if that. FE9 wasn't just throwing those kids into your army and then ignoring the obvious elephant in the room. The game tried to actually deal with the issue of children on the battlefield. Rolf and Mist didn't just join the fights for no reason. They joined because while they were afraid of killing and getting killed, they were even more afraid of their family members dieing if they would not fight themselves.

Rolf and Mist are both characters I can take seriously and the game turned the attribute "innocent", a weakness for so many previous characters, and turned it into an actual strength.

The reason Rolf is up there is because while Mist contributes to the battle, she is just a healer. Rolf, as a fighter and the younger of the two, is a lot more affected by those things and it really shows in the supports. I also liked the A-support with Shinon who claims that the motivation of adults trying to protect children is mostly self serving, which was definitely something to think about.

I guess everybody who read through all of this, will feel like they just wasted their time and my poor grammar probably doesn't do me any favors here. Sorry about that. But I think there is not much point of just throwing out your votes without also giving your reason behind them.

Edit: Btw, I went through Fa's supports and going by her support with Igrene, which shows that she doesn't understand death. This is the level of innocence we are talking about here. This makes me wonder what she thinks she is even doing when she is deployed and the people she kills, to use quotes from Rolf as a contrast, "squirm on the ground and gurgle in pain" and "make the grass slippery with blood". Though she does mention to Sue that she has "lots and lots of fun" because she "gets to play outside" now...

*sigh* The more I think about Elibe, the more disturbing that world becomes.

Edited by BrightBow

This Best/Worst is the most evil of all! ;~;

Da Best: Fa!

Worst: Uh... Gharnef... Yeah.

BrrightBow, why are you trying to bringing logic into FE? You put away your ability to reason and come to logical conclusions when you decided to play this awful series.

Edited by Blood-Stained-Rose

Worst: Gonzales. I can't stand him unit wise. Dishonorable mention to Meg.

Best: Fa. She's simply adorable, even in dragon form.

Read last few pages of text, this is best/worst, not most/least.

Best: Rolf- I seem to uncommonly like his stats, and Brightbow brings up some legit reasons

Hon mention to Nino for her pre battle before dawn tear jerk

Least: umm Fa. Goddam, Brightbow's got his shit figured out.