Naglfar

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I have no idea what I'm doing!

1st: Raymond - 478,191,550, MarisaA (5)

2nd: Naglfar - 257,890,700, MarisaC (3)

DNF: KAL - nothing submitted in time, ReimuB (0)

DNF: Bal - nothing submitted in time, ReimuA (0)

1st: Raymond (18)

2nd: Naglfar (13)

3rd: KAL (5)

4th: Bal (0)

Round 5, th11, starts now. It ends a week from this post.

Yeah, since Nag said earlier in a PM to only submit once or something.

And then I completely forgot, had long days all week long. Like I'd remember unless I get a reminder or something.. Well, it's here http://replays.genso...ad.php?id=20827 in case anyone wants to look. (I got 353,965,540 points, which would put me above Nag) (lol I barely bombed vs Kanako, would have saved all lives easily)

Edited by カルル

Actually,

You can submit as many improved runs as you like before the deadline, the best one will count.

...so if he did say that, he never read his own rules.

Good to have that cleared up, then.. And after checking, he indeed never said such a thing - and it seeems I was the one who didn't read the rules lol.

Ahh, SA, why must you punish not grazing so? WHY?

--by mmKALLL, trying to figure the best combination of survival and grazing for level 4

I had no deaths until Satori.

Then my choice of character and shot type came back to bite me in the arse.

I finished the game with >9000 Graze (literally), but only a single extra life remaining. Bawwwwwww.

That's not gonna be good enough...

Also, comments about round 4, because I only just now actually watched the replays:

- Both of you are much better than me at MoF, actually... ...so, why do you die so much more often than I do? xD

- Naglfar, you really need to be more liberal with bombs in this game. Th10 is basically "Touhou: Bomb Spam Edition" - you can get away with a ridiculous number of bombs with next to no consequences at all, as my run proves. :newyears:

- Epic triple-deathbomb by KAL in Stage 6. Seriously, that was hilarious. :D:

- I failed almost every single spellcard in the game. lol

- Naglfar, you really need to be more liberal with bombs in this game. Th10 is basically "Touhou: Bomb Spam Edition" - you can get away with a ridiculous number of bombs with next to no consequences at all, as my run proves. :newyears:

I know this. However, not only did I forget that detail somehow, I also have a strong natural aversion to bombing. Thus I tend to not do it unless I'm pretty much certain I can't make it through normally. This results in many wasted bombs as I'm just not as good in practice as I think I am.

I know this. However, not only did I forget that detail somehow, I also have a strong natural aversion to bombing. Thus I tend to not do it unless I'm pretty much certain I can't make it through normally. This results in many wasted bombs as I'm just not as good in practice as I think I am.

I see. I used to have this kind of "natural aversion" to bombing as well (basically, bombs are Too Awesome To Use, right?), but even though it's impressive how far you're able to go without bombing from what I've seen so far... ...unless you can keep it up for the whole game (in which case you've got a No Death & No Bomb run right there), getting used to bombing when you're about to get hit (and being able to tell when that's the case) or see a spell coming that you know you can't handle is an important step to becoming a better player - after all, it helps you in every game, not just in 10. In fact, 10 and 11 are very good opportunities to practice it, considering how generous they are when it comes to bombing.

Try to keep the following in mind while playing - better to waste a bomb when you possibly might not have needed it than to die and waste multiple bombs with no benefit at all.

Getting proficient at death-bombing also helps.

Lol at the triple deathbomb, yeah. I didn't even notice while playing :D And somehow died six times to Kanako. Damn it all!

...Okay, time to wrap up Utsuu-chan!

Yeah, you know, what wouldn't I do for 20 additional graze in the game I'm best at :newyears: <BR>..........but fuck that. :tangerinedry:

Edited by カルル

And to this day I still don't know how to properly deal with Utsuho.

Nuclear Fusion is basically Rin's "Needle Mountain of a Former Hell" on crack, and I already consider that one one of the hardest spells in this game. Those fire wheels in Rin's spell are pretty hard to keep track of between all those bullets, and Utsuho's suns have a ridiculous hitbox.

Mega Flare seems to be entirely luck-based. It's absurdly easy to get trapped.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to be possible to capture Hell and Heaven Meltdown. Staying in the middle only gets me killed, but Okuu hardly ever moves towards the edges, making it impossible to deplete her HP withhin the time limit unless I bomb.

Also, Okuu has way too much health.

Well, I already submitted, but I'll try tomorrow again perhaps, since I got less than 13000 graze and lost four lives vs Utsu-chan. The spells are easy save Heaven and Hell meltdown, and sometimes I get paniced in the last part of the final spell.. But apart from those two, it's just practice, practice, and more practice...

Oh yeah, and I love having eight bombs, not to mention the highest damage output at 6-8 satellites. 20-30 bombs per life? YES :awesome:

Edited by カルル

since I got less than 13000 graze

What.

I only barely surpassed 11k. D:

However, point items on Normal are nigh worthless (unless you never die), by conclusion also making Graze much less important than simple survival. On Normal, the point bonus for remaining extra lives at the end of the game vastly outclasses the points gained from point items even if you graze like mad.

and lost four lives vs Utsu-chan. The spells are easy save Heaven and Hell meltdown, and sometimes I get paniced in the last part of the final spell.. But apart from those two, it's just practice, practice, and more practice...

I don't think you can call them easy if you die to them four times. :smug:

60% of them I don't even really understand, yet I instead died to one of Okuu's non-spells (by pure idiocy, if I may add).

Oh yeah, and I love having eight bombs, not to mention the highest damage output at 6-8 satellites. 20-30 bombs per life? YES :awesome:

Marisa A's bombs honestly are pretty worthless. They don't even clear a lot of bullets.

Besides, if you decide to bomb-spam all the way down to 0 power, have fun building all of those options back up - large power items still only give you 1.00, so you still only get 2 or 3 power from dying (unless you're on your last life). Marisa A at 2 or 3 power is piss-weak.

If anything, you really can't afford to use all of Marisa A's power to bomb.

Admittedly, though, Marisa has a much easier time grazing enemy lasers. Reimu's Graze box in this game sucks pretty bad, she pretty much cannot graze diagonal lasers unless she sits almost on top of them. It's really annoying. :/

EDIT: Why does Rin's hitbox remain active after she's been beaten

Why

Why must ZUN troll me so hard

This game doesn't need its own version of the Wriggle Kick

Argh

Edited by Shade of Shadow

Okuu is just a really fun boss. Not only do you have to dodge, but you also need to actively identify threats since there's usually two or three things going on at once and getting your brain to process it all at once is not as easy as it looks. One of the best bosses ZUN's made, definitely.

I'm not as stupid as to use all my power to bombs, but I can easily use two or three to cover a difficult spell where I usually would have a large psychological wall to bomb even once (although I've broken this wall steadily over time).

Also, when MarisA dies, if at over 4 power, she gets 7 large power items (resulting in full power).

That's the thing, though. You need two or three bombs to cover a difficult spell. Half the other other shot types only need a single one to skip.

And does she really suddenly get 7 large power items if she dies with 5.00 or more power? I was pretty sure you always only get as many large power items as to match the integer part of your power unless you had less than 2 (at 3 or more lives) or 3 (at 2 or less) power or were on your last life. Which also means that Marisa A can never reach full power from dying (unless it puts her at her last life), as only 7 power items drop and none of them turn into an [F] item even if you were at 8 power beforehand.

Edited by Shade of Shadow

I recall she being left with 1.00 when you die.. But I haven't tested it at all, since I seldom die in TH11 Normal.

Except now when I especially shouldn't die.

I recall she being left with 1.00 when you die.. But I haven't tested it at all, since I seldom die in TH11 Normal.

Except now when I especially shouldn't die.

SA always resets your power to 0 when you die.

It's MoF that simply takes away 3.20 (even if you had less) and scatters it around.

Dear god I'm going to kill someone.

Here's a secret: normal is actually no easier than lunatic. It just makes you feel like more of a retard when you fuck up.