【東方】 The draft wherein we lolis

Naglfar

Round's supposed to end now, but I have all of one replay. . .so Raymond wins this by default, I guess. Nags, wanna come in here and explain stuff?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jesus

one minute

1st: Raymond - 461,503,430, ReimuA (5)

DNF: KAL - this isn't a clear are you sure you sent me the right replay, MarisaA (0)

DNF: Naglfar - nothing submitted in time, MarisaB (0)

DNF: Bal - nothing submitted in time, MarisaC (0)

1st: Raymond (23)

2nd: Naglfar (13)

3rd: KAL (5)

4th: BAL (0)

full disclosure: I can't do this anymore

and considering what the scores have become there doesn't seem to be much point anyway, but hell

Round 6, th12, starts now. It ends a week from this post.

Seriously?

Come on, are you guys even trying? I'm putting so much effort into this (I have never cleared SA with 7 extra lives remaining before - hell, at this point even a No Miss Clear seems plausible), yet this can't even really be called a competition anymore.

After how close round 1 was, I thought this was going to be exciting and awesome. But in the end, I seem to have ended up competing against my own ego only.

I tried.

But I'm terrible, I guess. I can barely clear Normal at all in most of the games.

And 12/13 are the ones which I haven't cleared once. (maybe you're too good for us?)

I tried.

Sure, I'll give you that. It doesn't look like Naglfar did, though. I dunno if Bal is even still participating, and it's a real shame that he hasn't sent in any replays at all after round 1.

But I'm terrible, I guess. I can barely clear Normal at all in most of the games.

I'm not that different, really - it depends on the game. Just look at my remaining extra lives after each game.

EoSD: 1 at most.

PCB: Tends to average out at about 4.

IN: 0 or 1 usually.

MoF: Depends on how often I make silly mistakes. No Miss seems plausible, but MoF is an easy game anyway.

SA: Depends on how often I make silly mistakes. No Miss seems very plausible.

UFO: My only clear so far had 1 extra life remaining. Otherwise, I tend to enter Stage 6 at an average of 0 lives. UFO is hard.

TD: Depends on how often I make silly mistakes. No Miss seems very plausible, but TD is an easy game anyway.

If you consider these numbers, you'll notice that I tend to end the games that give you a strictly finite number of bombs at a very low number of lives, whereas I have very little trouble when there are a lot of bombs and/or suitable substitutes available (Cherry Borders, Trance). Maybe I'm just really good at bombing.

In fact, considering what I've seen of your replays so far, you seem pretty good to me, you just make too many silly derps, especially during the Stage parts. The best way to reduce those is to get better at deathbombing (although you seem to be pretty good at deathbombing to begin with) and to prioritize survival over greed.

By far my most frequent cause of death overall is trying to get above the PoC, for reference. :newyears:

And 12/13 are the ones which I haven't cleared once. (maybe you're too good for us?)

Not at all, UFO is really hard - I only very recently 1cc'd it myself. It helps that Sanae B's bombs are stupidly overpowered. But I picked Marisa for the draft, so we'll see if I can do it again.

I may actually host a Touhou draft myself after this one's done, with slightly modified rules. Maybe you could join that one if you're interested, I don't plan on participating myself.

Edited by Shade of Shadow

I just entered Stage 6 with 8 extra lives and 4 bombs.

Then I missed the blue UFO I summoned when it had like 400 point items in it.

Then I failed to clear the game. I died to Byakuren 9 times, despite bombing.

I lost my last life while Byakuren was busy exploding after I had beaten her final spellcard.

FML.

It doesn't look like Naglfar did, though.

I basically haven't been since the beginning. There was a reason my original idea involved easy mode, and that I wasn't entirely intending to participate in the first place...

I basically haven't been since the beginning. There was a reason my original idea involved easy mode, and that I wasn't entirely intending to participate in the first place...

If you knew you weren't going to beat Normal consistently, you could just have changed the rules so that not beating the game doesn't automatically equal getting no points whatsoever.

Also, considering your talk about beating Lunatic earlier in the thread, I thought the problem wouldn't be on your end. Bleh.

EDIT: Considering I have won anyway and it doesn't look like you guys are particularly keen on going on with this, shouldn't we just save ourselves the hassle and end this prematurely? I kinda want to host another Touhou draft myself, but I don't want to start while I myself am still participating in one.

If you knew you weren't going to beat Normal consistently, you could just have changed the rules so that not beating the game doesn't automatically equal getting no points whatsoever.

Also, considering your talk about beating Lunatic earlier in the thread, I thought the problem wouldn't be on your end. Bleh.

Like I said, there's not much of a difficulty gap between normal and lunatic... once you've memorised them, anyway. At least for me. Just clearing normal mode when you haven't played it in so long and you're not really into it is a bit of a pain. I wasn't thinking of that at the time, though.

Lunatic is also more engaging since it provides far more consistent challenge. You could say that makes it easier, since you wouldn't be as prone to the kind of complacency that playing on normal might result in.

EDIT: Considering I have won anyway and it doesn't look like you guys are particularly keen on going on with this, shouldn't we just save ourselves the hassle and end this prematurely? I kinda want to host another Touhou draft myself, but I don't want to start while I myself am still participating in one.

I'm fine with it if you guys are...

Like I said, there's not much of a difficulty gap between normal and lunatic... once you've memorised them, anyway. At least for me.

I must have a different kind of skill then, as for me the difference between Normal and Lunatic is massive. I can soundly beat Normal in every game that isn't UFO (because fuck Byakuren) and I have a reasonable shot at winning Hard on most games, but Lunatic roflstomps me as early as Stage 4.

Ten Desires' Lunatic in particular is insane. TD is fairly tame even on Hard, but Lunatic!Yuyuko is ridiculous, considering how little resources you have for a Stage 1 boss.

Then again, I don't really bother memorizing everything - only the most important things, like tricks to tricky spellcards. I mostly just play and take what I get.

Then again, I don't really bother memorizing everything - only the most important things, like tricks to tricky spellcards.

Yeah, lunatic's going to roflstomp you like that. Shmups often do that; if you haven't already figured out how you're going to deal with something before it becomes an immediate threat, things are going to be a lot harder for you. The practice mode goes a long way.

Yeah, lunatic's going to roflstomp you like that. Shmups often do that; if you haven't already figured out how you're going to deal with something before it becomes an immediate threat, things are going to be a lot harder for you. The practice mode goes a long way.

Thing is, that just doesn't suit my playstyle. I play Touhou to have fun, and I have more fun playing Touhou as an actual SHMUP than as a memorization game.

That said, I do make use of Spellcard Practice when the game offers it, and I do sometimes use the regular Practice Mode to practice trouble stages - it's just that practicing the entire stage every single time when I only have trouble with, say, one or two of the boss's spellcards, is excessively boring. Boring isn't fun - thus, I don't do it.

I agree with ending this prematurely.

Well, yeah, I'm not terrible, but like, I'm too greedy. And even when I think I did well, you had a ton of more points. Except EoSD - that was really close.

Picking Marisa for most games definitely wasn't a good move. Overall, on Normal, survival should take more precedence - at least I'd get a decent score along with a clear rather than losing five lives in stage four.

Overall - a fun idea, but needs some working. If time allows (SUMMER HOLIDAY WHEE), I'll join yours, Shade of Shadow :newyears:

Yeah, Marisa's performance is very inconsistent. She's really awesome in a few games and completely terrible in a few others (although she's almost always good for scoring). Reimu, on the other hand, is consistently good if you don't pick the homing type (except in PCB, where even her B type sucks).

If it wasn't because of this, I actually would've tried to pick Marisa much more often. She's my favorite playable character. =/

Alright, I'll put mine up, then. =)

I play Touhou to have fun, and I have more fun playing Touhou as an actual SHMUP than as a memorization game.

:I

if any genre is a memorisation game

it's shmups