MLB 2012

Helios

Anyone here watch/like baseball? I know it's kinda losing popularity relative to most sports, but I'm still a huge fan. I'm a huge Detroit Tigers fan, and I think that we have a good shot at winning it all this year with the addition of Prince Fielder.

Discuss anything MLB related: offseason moves, favorite teams, world series picks, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOMEONE POSTED!!!!

I seriously felt like I was the only person who liked this sport on here.

How are you guys looking this year? You guys still have quite the pitching staff, but do you think you got enough offense to actually score enough runs to win?

Edited by Helios

Cardinals for life.

12 IN '12 BABY WE GON GET IT

I can't believe you guys beat us in '06. I haven't seen a team choke like that since Lebron in the NBA Finals

I can't believe you guys beat us in '06. I haven't seen a team choke like that since Lebron in the NBA Finals

I have. It's called us in '04. Fucking Red Sox.

But I'm super excited for this next season. Sad to see Pujols leave but whatever, it was smart of us to not pay that much for him when he's that old. Plus we re-signed Yadi, couldn't be more pumped, my favorite player in baseball right now.

Edited by frat_tastic

I have. It's called us in '04. Fucking Red Sox.

But I'm super excited for this next season. Sad to see Pujols leave but whatever, it was smart of us to not pay that much for him when he's that old. Plus we re-signed Yadi, couldn't be more pumped, my favorite player in baseball right now.

Good point. But I think that was like fate or something, just because the BoSox hadn't won in like a 100 years or something. They choked so bad last year I couldn't stop laughing.

Pujols was definitely a tough loss even to me, but that's probably because I didn't want him in the AL. On paper, the Angels are a big threat to the Tigers because they can match fairly well with our pitching staff and now have Pujols to match against Cabrera. But we also have Fielder now!

Yadi is such a great defensive player. I'm glad to see he's starting to improve his hitting too. I hope Avila (Tigers catcher) can improve his defense to that level soon.

• 3 weeks later...

So Opening Day today. Tigers blew their lead in the ninth, but came back to win it with a walk off single by Austin Jackson. Getting wins on the BoSox is always nice.

Also, Miami Marlins aren't looking too hot for all those big acquisitions in the offseason.

• 3 months later...

Astros fan here. 'nuff said.

The Rangers are my favorite to lose win the world series. Great lineup with a good enough pitching staff to back it up. Plus, they're like a second home team for me!

The Marlins have gone from being one of the NL east's loveable losers to the most flamboyant team in baseball.

I'm a Phillies fan, so there's nothing left to do but whine for the rest of the season gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

That's what Ozzie Guillen will do to ya. LoMo helps too haha.

So why are you guys doing so bad this season exactly? I thought with that rotation you'd be fine.

Astros fan here. 'nuff said.

The Rangers are my favorite to lose win the world series. Great lineup with a good enough pitching staff to back it up. Plus, they're like a second home team for me!

Astros fan? That's gotta suck. At least your future looks somewhat bright right? After Texas they have the best farm system I think.

They managed to land Dempster which should give them another reliable starter out of the rotation. Hamilton needs to kick it in gear though.

Arizona Diamondbacks fan here

We are doing decently this year haha.

You guys are tied for first right? Kirk Gibson has done a hell of a job managing that team and turning it around. Plus there was a lot of young talent on it anyway. You gotta be good to contend with the Giants and Dodgers.

You guys are tied for first right? Kirk Gibson has done a hell of a job managing that team and turning it around. Plus there was a lot of young talent on it anyway. You gotta be good to contend with the Giants and Dodgers.

Yep, Gibson turned the whole team around after Melvin lol [who did ok to be honest just not SUPER GOOD]. He is one heck of a great manager.

Giants aren't doing as good this year as I thought they'd be WAYYY in the lead but they just barely squeaking past us and are tied with the Dodgers

Edited by Jedi

So why are you guys doing so bad this season exactly? I thought with that rotation you'd be fine.

You know, I thought so too haha. This season was just a perfect storm of things going wrong for us. First it was terrible run support, leaving RISP and missing so many two out hits. Then it was the bullpen. They look like they've turned around since the all-star break, but I'm not hoping for more than a .500 record next year.

Yep, Gibson turned the whole team around after Melvin lol [who did ok to be honest just not SUPER GOOD]. He is one heck of a great manager.

Giants aren't doing as good this year as I thought they'd be WAYYY in the lead but they just barely squeaking past us and are tied with the Dodgers

He just brings that spirit that he did as a player with the Tigers. I was really rooting for the DBacks last year cuz of that. They're an exciting team and no one really saw em coming. Do you guys have any other pitchers besides Kennedy though?

Yeah WTF happened to Lincecum? The Freak used to be a Cy Young winner every year haha. Also that Pence deal hasn't looked so good for them so far. Their offense is always anemic for some reason but their pitching has always carried them anyway. Without that they look so vulnerable though.

You know, I thought so too haha. This season was just a perfect storm of things going wrong for us. First it was terrible run support, leaving RISP and missing so many two out hits. Then it was the bullpen. They look like they've turned around since the all-star break, but I'm not hoping for more than a .500 record next year.

Halladay was on the DL too...and so was Howard actually. You guys have had some tough injuries. Add that with the inability to score clutch runs and the bullpen blowing leads and you got the formula for losing games. I was really surprised though because they looked unbeatable a year or two ago. I mean even the Mets are doing well this year and I thought they'd be horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

The Melk man just got suspended for 50 games for testosterone. Maybe explains why he's been on a tear this season?

In other news Cabrera is making a run for the MVP race. Maybe I'm a little biased as a Tigers fan but his numbers don't lie

The Melk man just got suspended for 50 games for testosterone. Maybe explains why he's been on a tear this season?

In other news Cabrera is making a run for the MVP race. Maybe I'm a little biased as a Tigers fan but his numbers don't lie

AL MVP is basically between Cabrera and Trout, barring a monster final two months from Cano or Konerko or Josh Hamilton staying healthy and productive.

Melky really shoulda stopped meeting up with A-Rod's cousin after he got busted.

AL MVP is basically between Cabrera and Trout, barring a monster final two months from Cano or Konerko or Josh Hamilton staying healthy and productive.

Melky really shoulda stopped meeting up with A-Rod's cousin after he got busted.

Was watching Fox have a special on the player and fan poll on the best third baseman in the game today and raged a little when they said it was Adrian Beltre. Don't get me wrong since Beltre's easily the best fielder at that position and a damn good hitter too...but Cabrera man :/. Also glad they gave David Wright some credit too.

Good thing the Giants got Pence right?

Also a guy died at a Rangers game a couple years ago...it happens man ;/.

Was watching Fox have a special on the player and fan poll on the best third baseman in the game today and raged a little when they said it was Adrian Beltre. Don't get me wrong since Beltre's easily the best fielder at that position and a damn good hitter too...but Cabrera man :/. Also glad they gave David Wright some credit too.

Good thing the Giants got Pence right?

Also a guy died at a Rangers game a couple years ago...it happens man ;/.

Beltre and Wright are better rounded at 3rd, but Cabrera's offense really is undeniable.

Pence is below the Mendoza Line for the Giants thus far so... >_>

That fan dying at that Rangers game was rough especially considering his kid saw it all happen.

Agreed. They're definitely better defensively (though Cabrera is pretty underrated there. he might not have as great range but he's definitely just as sure handed and has a good arm too) but if I wanted anyone of the three on my team, it'd be Cabrera the most.

It was sarcasm ;/. Tough luck for the Giants since Melky was having a great year for them. I haven't been watching the Giants all that much though so has anyone else stepped up for them?

I felt so bad. What's worse is Hamilton was involved in it and he's always been a little less mentally stable since his drug days and all.

Edited by Helios

It was sarcasm ;/. Tough luck for the Giants since Melky was having a great year for them. I haven't been watching the Giants all that much though so has anyone else stepped up for them?

]

I felt so bad. What's worse is Hamilton was involved in it and he's always been a little less mentally stable since his drug days and all.

The GIants' have been erratic lately, they'll win by significant margin then get shelled the next day so they're just clinging to the divisional lead which they want badly because the second NL wild card, as it stands, is a clusterfuck.

Yeah, Hamilton seems like he's been becoming more unwound of late.

Edit: I just found this. That made me laugh.

Edited by Model Emu

I see. Has Lincecum at least improved?

Yeah he started to look better when I saw him play the Tigers like a week ago. MVP race still looks like Trout, then Cabrera though.

Yeah I saw that on ESPN the other day. It's obvious he took roids though...the guy looks a lot bigger than when he was on the Yankees back in the day. He tried though...

I see. Has Lincecum at least improved?

Yeah he started to look better when I saw him play the Tigers like a week ago. MVP race still looks like Trout, then Cabrera though.

Yeah I saw that on ESPN the other day. It's obvious he took roids though...the guy looks a lot bigger than when he was on the Yankees back in the day. He tried though...

Lincecum has been doing better, but that's not saying a whole lot considering he was having the worst statistical season ever for a starter at one point.

Yeah he was never really much with Yanks, just an averagish outfielder.

That's too bad for him because I've always been a fan of the Freak. His unorthodox delivery and nasty curve and change are just awesome. Plus he won back to back Cy Youngs back in the day! Who would have thought he would have a bad year like this? I bet he bounces right back next year and has a solid year though. He's just too good.

Well I saw potential in him on the Yankees so it wasn't unexpected to me when he started having good years with the Royals and Giants, but with him testing positive to the testosterone it looks like he had a bit of help.

Speaking of testing positive, Bartolo Colon is the new victim of that. Is that the secret to the Athletics playoff push? Waiting for someone on the Orioles to have taken roids...I still don't know how they're a playoff team right now.