Tales of Graces f

Momo

Yeah... I really want to try out the Tales games that are not Symphonia 1/2 and Innocence, but I don't have the console. I also have a pretty big line-up on Nintendo consoles already, so it's really weird to buy another console just for Tales.

If you're a Nintendo person and you're going to be picking up a 3DS, I'd go get Tales of the Abyss. It's my favorite currently.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Storywise: It's a refreshing break from fighting off the religious figure du jour. Make sure to save before going off to unknown locations; I had to redo an especially stupid boss fight because I didn't take this advice.

Game play: The battle system relies on something called CC. Every single move, barring Mystic Artes, relies on it. Each weapon gives a CC range; the more, the better. You can also get a temporary CC raise in battle by filling the critical gauge (which you'll be introduced to in the battle tutorials). For A Artes (usually Asbel whacking things over the head), you'll move down a tree, starting from 1 CC moves to 4 CC moves (so you'll need a minimum of 10 to hit a full chain of moves). B Artes also take a chunk out of the CC gauge, and aren't seen in the beginning of the game. Casters can cut down their casting time by linking their A Artes into the spell they want (B Arte). You'll learn more Artes by equipping and learning them through titles. Overlimit is replaced by an Eleth gauge on the left; if it fills blue, your entire team gets the equivalent of it for a few seconds. Likewise, if it fills red, the enemy gets it. The Mystic Arte gauge is also shared, and when someone triggers it, the level of that gauge determines the power of the Arte. Each Arte has properties that have it deal additional damage (so if you're fighting a Reptile, and you use any Arte with the Reptile property, you'll do more damage); hit all enemy weak points and you'll get a bonus at the end of the battle. I think that's all of it? Tales of Graces has a kickass battle system, so have fun playing with it~!

Costumes: Due to the nature of titles in this game, once you "earn" a costume from its title, you can equip said costume to the character via the Status menu, and it will stick until you change your mind. I changed Asbel out of his bell bottoms as soon as I could.

I got to play it for a couple hours today.

The childhood story thing was...pretty boring to me :P. I hope that the characters (particularly Sophie) will not be as one dimensional as I expect them to be, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much!

I saved and quit just after returning to the starting town after the 7 year time skip. The battle system seems fun enough, I am still getting used to it though; I'm not the best with combo systems, to say the least :O. In other Tales games you could just spam stuff, so it was easier. The CC system is really restricting at this point, I hope it opens up a bit more later. I liked Malik, but his attacks are too slow for my tastes, it was a little disappointing :(.

Also I put it on the difficult level after normal, and I wasn't having trouble until that wolf boss after the time skip. Wtf @ that thing, haha.

So far it's fun, can't wait til I get a little more free time in the next few days :P. Thanks for the post, too.

No problem~!

Malik likes to spam his B artes, and his weapon allows him to stay out of the way while doing so. Childhood will get a better explanation as you go on.

@Tang omgggg we need to discuss ToG F, haha.

Childhood isn't amazingly fun but they're kids, if they were badass I'd have a little bit of a problem

Main Arc is great though and Lineage & Legacies is the most fun battle-wise (and perhaps even humor wise, depending on your tastes). Speaking of L&L, I just beat it last night. Fun stuff. I've already played through Zhonecage on the original ToG so I waited until trying it but I think I'll do it soon enough since I've beaten the Future Arc now.

All the characters are, IMO, really fun to play with, but I prefer Asbel and Hubert: Cheria is nice but is way too fragile and her knives range actually sucks. I don't mind Pascal or Sophie (although Sophie gets stunned pretty easily IMO), Malik is awesome of course (duh), and Richard I also like a lot (shooting stars is epic). But I mainly play as the melee-combo-guys like many people, since I don't like waiting for spells to activate (which means Asbel, Hubert, Richard, and a little bit of Sophie go go go).

If you're a Nintendo person and you're going to be picking up a 3DS, I'd go get Tales of the Abyss. It's my favorite currently.

Yeah it's definitely in the plan, especially now with FE13 too.

I can attest to the fact that TotA for the 3DS was good. Possibly even better than the original since it's in 3D, is less glitchy, and is portable and thus easier to find to time to play (TotA is a naturally long and at many times boring game).

EDIT: In My Opinion, obviously--you're free to disagree...

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

So I made it to Fendel today, saved and quit just before Fendel Tower.

wtf @ that boar?! I'm playing on hard mode, that guy beat me so many times, lol. He's manageable easily enough until he starts burrowing, after that he kicked my butt. I had to lower the difficulty to intermediate to win since I only had 8 life bottles. Easily the toughest fight yet, and I expected it to be a silly generic boss.

Also I love Pascal and have been using her almost exclusively. And I suck as Malik but he's amazing on AI, so he's been in my team all this time too. I dunno who else I like really. Sophie is fun so I keep her around, but the other slot has rotated a lot.

It took me from Strahta to the start of Fendel Tower to get the Grim Sylphie Master title. wtf :(.

Malik is cool, but he's definitely more of a support character than a front liner.

Also, if you think that's bad, I didn't even get Slyphie until the main game was almost over. For whatever reason they block off the road you get it on for a long time if you don't go there when it's first available.

• 3 weeks later...