Dark Knight

There's definitely no Fire, Thunder, Wind triangle. In the latest Famitsu, page 2, you see Richt wielding Arcwind versus a caster with Bolganone, but the weapon triangle icons don't show up.

That's disappointing...

Well, I believe that the Tomes will have certain effectiveness against particular units. On that scan Vincent mentioned, a !Sage Richt can bring an enemy Black Pegasus down to one HP, so it looks like Wind magic is good against flying units..

But it has been kind of confirmed there's only one "tome" weapon rank.

Also, it's a promotion from a standard Mage.

I wouldn't mind elemental weaknesses, as long as the units that can be effected are actually common. . .

Seems to me the main reason it didn't work in FE10 was because the team system screwed with when you fought stuff and made classes like Laguz and Pegasus Knights rare for enemies to have. Everything points to FE13 having one team and the Corpse Soldiers having no problems riding whatever flying mounts they want to, so there shouldn't be any problems.

Looks like Dark Knights get magic and swords.

Indeed. Defense also seems to be their best stat. And if I read their stats correctly, promotion gains should be interesting.

Mage → Dark Knight

Str: +3

Mag: +1

Skl: +3

Spd: +0

Def: +7

Res: +0

Indeed. Defense also seems to be their best stat. And if I read their stats correctly, promotion gains should be interesting.

Mage → Dark Knight

Str: +3

Mag: +1

Spd: +0

Res: +0

+7 defense?! What kind of monstrosity is this class?!

I will definitely be using at least one Dark Knight

I don't think I could choose any class I'd want to pass up. They all have some unique draw to them. Which is great; it's exactly as they should be.

Edited by Othin

I don't think I could choose any class I'd want to pass up. They all have some unique draw to them. Which is great; it's exactly as they should be.

I almost can't think of a single team I want

This may be the only FE game where I fully train all my characters. . .

Too bad I can't romance who I would like to though, so I probably won't have access to all the kids

+7 defense?! What kind of monstrosity is this class?!

Keep in mind that promotion bonuses are based on the class bases. Mages have typically some of the worst base Defense stats, while mounted units with medium armor like the Dark Knight often have good defense bases.

For reference, Mages have 2 base Defense in FE12. Paladin, a class I assume has a similar armor type to the Dark Knight in this game, has 8 base Defense. So promoting a Mage and reclassing him to Paladin would effectively give the unit 6 Defense.

Then again, the Magic, Speed and Resistance boosts are either low or completely absent. This might not be as awesome as you'd think.

Edited by Dio

In this game, Mages still have 2 Def, Dark Knights have 9, and Paladins have 10. So yeah, it lines up as similar. And promotion gains appear to be tending towards the more extreme in this game.

But yeah, Mage --> Dark Knight gets swords, defense, and a horse, and really nothing else. Quite interesting to see how that'll turn out. Certainly justifies the class name, I'd say.

Edited by Othin

In this game, Mages still have 2 Def, Dark Knights have 9, and Paladins have 10. So yeah, it lines up as similar. And promotion gains appear to be tending towards the more extreme in this game.

But yeah, Mage --> Dark Knight gets swords, defense, and a horse, and really nothing else. Quite interesting to see how that'll turn out. Certainly justifies the class name, I'd say.

Also makes them more viable fighters, when your low on Tomes

Keep in mind that promotion bonuses are based on the class bases. Mages have typically some of the worst base Defense stats, while mounted units with medium armor like the Dark Knight often have good defense bases.

For reference, Mages have 2 base Defense in FE12. Paladin, a class I assume has a similar armor type to the Dark Knight in this game, has 8 base Defense. So promoting a Mage and reclassing him to Paladin would effectively give the unit 6 Defense.

Then again, the Magic, Speed and Resistance boosts are either low or completely absent. This might not be as awesome as you'd think.

Because I'm bored:

Mage --> Paladin (FE12)

Str +7

Mag -2

Skl +4

Spd +4

Def +6

Res +3

Mage --> Dark Knight (FE13)

Str +3

Mag +1

Skl +3

Spd +0

Def +7

Res +0

Interesting.

Mage --> Paladin in FE12 also gains +6 HP; I'm guessing Mage --> Dark Knight has a similar gain, but I can't see the base HP stats to make sure. Of course, Cleric --> Battle Cleric gains +8 HP, and Dark Knight looks even bulkier.

Edited by Othin

I wonder if there will be magical weapons, that'll be more effective int he hands of Dark Knights and the like?

Probably a safe bet that we'll see a few in different weapon types, FE9-style. But for a Dark Knight, not much reason to use that sort of thing over a tome, especially with the likely high weapon levels it'll take. On the other hand, they may be useful for healer classes, like Trickster, Falcon Knight, and Battle Monk.

I mean, we've seen at least one physical weapon capable of doing magic damage in nearly every FE game since the mechanic was introduced. They even added magic damage to the Levin Sword and Thunderbolt in FE11/12 when they didn't have that effect originally, although the Levin Sword had a similar effect. This, I think, is a sure sign that they've still been interested in the mechanic recently, and with all the increased weapon/magic crossing over, it makes perfect sense that they'd step it up.

---

Seems my visual estimates were off a bit. Fortunately, Vincent and TheEnd were able to track down some clearer scans, which indicates the gains would look more like this:

Mage → Dark Knight

Str: +4

Mag: +2

Spd: +1

Res: +1

Not too huge of a change, but whatever.

Edited by Othin