No light magic?

Kaplan

I've been going over some of the information and videos we've got and it's occurred to me that light magic may not be making an appearance this game. Obviously light magic a separate weapon type was ruled out when it was revealed that FE:A would have magic tomes as a single rank. But with dark magic being revealed as a subcategory it could be possible light magic would get it's own subcategory too. However I think with what we already know about the game so far it's looking pretty unlikely because (as far as I'm aware) a) no light tomes have been seen in any scans/videos (isn't resire/nosferatu classfied as dark magic in this game?) and b) no past light magic users (monk, bishop etc) have been revealed to be in this game. I guess we'll find out in just under 2 weeks time. (Off topic: I didn't realise the Japanese release date was so soon!)

I hope it does. Of course, this may be a FE9 situation where the third category doesn't appear and dark is simply unrivaled. Of course, Sage may get the 4 and 8 privilege of using both anima and dark, since Scorcerers get dark and anima. Well, this was unproductive.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/290312B.jpg

This is the image that shows the spell Nosferatu in the list of tomes in the upper left, labeled as リザイア.

I don't know if Nosferatu's classification is confirmed, but its tome appears the same color as a Flux tome, so I think it's a safe bet that it is dark magic once more. It may be worth noting that Nosferatu showed up in a shop alongside the three El- tomes. If we look at how Nosferatu has shown up in past FE games, it's been rather low ranked and common as dark magic, but as light magic, it's been much more rare and restricted. So the version of Nosferatu that would show up in a shop, especially alongside the El- tomes, is likely the dark magic version.

Now, if we assume that Nosferatu is indeed dark magic in FE13, as I think is a safe assumption, what's just as notable is what's absent from that shop screen. It sells D/C-rank fire, thunder, wind, and dark magic, but no light magic. Dark magic is also taking the purple coloration light magic used to an extent in FE9/10, perhaps to help distinguish it from thunder magic. Here, however, the developers discarded the opportunity to use this distinguishing characteristic.

On top of this, we can also note that every time an FE game has contained light magic as one of five offensive magic types, it has had Nosferatu as its own distinguishing characteristic, probably not having enough to set itself off from other types without it. Although the magic types are to an extent merged in FE13, the three elements still each have a major presence: they appear to have the five standard levels established in FE10 (Fire/Elfire/Arcfire/Bolganone/Rexflame for fire magic) at the E/D/C/B/A levels, which is a substantial amount of elemental magic. Also, every time the Bishop class has been present, the Priest or Cleric class has been able to promote into it: here, however, both classes promote into Sage instead for their magic option, and neither have Bishop as an option.

With all of this in mind, I don't think there's any real chance that light magic will return as a distinct weapon type. It may show up a couple times in the form of spells like Aura and Starlight within the general Tomes category, but with how dominant elemental magic is in the Tomes category, I'm not sure the odds are in favor of even that.

I can't say I'm that happy about the loss, but I can't say I really miss it, either. Personally, FE13 has addressed the single Tomes category in the way I was hoping for with dark magic. Would have been nice to expand it further, but I'm satisfied with how it is now.

Edited by Othin

light magic has always sucked and the trinity of magic has always been superfluous

(well OK except for FE4 and FE5, but light and dark magic each have a very clear representation in that game of good and evil)

Edited by dondon151

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/290312B.jpg

This is the image that shows the spell Nosferatu in the list of tomes in the upper left, labeled as リザイア.

I don't know if Nosferatu's classification is confirmed, but its tome appears the same color as a Flux tome, so I think it's a safe bet that it is dark magic once more. It may be worth noting that Nosferatu showed up in a shop alongside the three El- tomes. If we look at how Nosferatu has shown up in past FE games, it's been rather low ranked and common as dark magic, but as light magic, it's been much more rare and restricted. So the version of Nosferatu that would show up in a shop, especially alongside the El- tomes, is likely the dark magic version.

Now, if we assume that Nosferatu is indeed dark magic in FE13, as I think is a safe assumption, what's just as notable is what's absent from that shop screen. It sells D/C-rank fire, thunder, wind, and dark magic, but no light magic. Dark magic is also taking the purple coloration light magic used to an extent in FE9/10, perhaps to help distinguish it from thunder magic. Here, however, the developers discarded the opportunity to use this distinguishing characteristic.

On top of this, we can also note that every time an FE game has contained light magic as one of five offensive magic types, it has had Nosferatu as its own distinguishing characteristic, probably not having enough to set itself off from other types without it. Although the magic types are to an extent merged in FE13, the three elements still each have a major presence: they appear to have the five standard levels established in FE10 (Fire/Elfire/Arcfire/Bolganone/Rexflame for fire magic) at the E/D/C/B/A levels, which is a substantial amount of elemental magic. Also, every time the Bishop class has been present, the Priest or Cleric class has been able to promote into it: here, however, both classes promote into Sage instead for their magic option, and neither have Bishop as an option.

With all of this in mind, I don't think there's any real chance that light magic will return as a distinct weapon type. It may show up a couple times in the form of spells like Aura and Starlight within the general Tomes category, but with how dominant elemental magic is in the Tomes category, I'm not sure the odds are in favor of even that.

I can't say I'm that happy about the loss, but I can't say I really miss it, either. Personally, FE13 has addressed the single Tomes category in the way I was hoping for with dark magic. Would have been nice to expand it further, but I'm satisfied with how it is now.

"Dark Mage: Uses magic with various added effects - like Resire/Nosferatu, which drains enemy HP."

Edited by TheEnd

"waaa we want a light user"

"waaa, rhys and micaiah suck"

"waaa, we want a light user"

pick one fandom. =/

maybe its better off like this, i've never hear the majority of either the casual or hardcore groups praise or enjoy light magic.

Rhys and Micaiah= Every light user ever, apparently. Micaiah isn't even that bad.

I think this has more to do with the fact Battle Clergy became the most direct promotion for Priests/Clerics instead of Bishops: there's that feeling of mine that IS realized Promoted Priests would be excellent Anti-magic Tanks with their tendency towards higher Resistance if it weren't for the fact they could damage Mages with Light tomes and their pidgeonholed low Might only because in Normal and lower difficulties enemy mages have low enough Res. to take a hit from those tomes, so in turn IS went pragmatical by taking in account a Mage's main weakness (low Defense) and making Priests exploit it through access to the Physical Weapons with the highest Might values possible (Axes) and, a la FE12, with said weapons lacking a Weight stat to hinder AS with.

Which is why I also think that Battle Monks/Clerics will end up with the Highest Cap for Res. despite their relatively low Class Bases overall and the inevitable Class Growths/Caps overhaul they are gonna need for their other stats in order to be a viable Axe-wielding class...

Rhys and Micaiah= Every light user ever, apparently. Micaiah isn't even that bad.

also, remember Yuria? Yeah, she totally sucked. Pfft. Also, while Lucius and Artur have terrible defense and luck, they have terrific mag skill speed and res, and there HP are surprisingly good too. And who the hell uses Rhys for attacking anyway :/? Mind you, if his speed was better, he'd be comparable to Soren as the best Mage in the Tellius series.

"waaa we want a light user"

"waaa, rhys and micaiah suck"

"waaa, we want a light user"

pick one fandom. =/

maybe its better off like this, i've never hear the majority of either the casual or hardcore groups praise or enjoy light magic.

Has it occured to you that they could want a GOOD Light user like Lucius, Julia, Homer or Artur?

I like light magic. Sure, its never been particularly good, but the novelty of it more than makes up for it imo, makes magic feel more complete for me.

Its kind of sad.gif to see it go though

The fact that Micaiah lacks speed horribly bothers you. And Rhys is awesome. I've always liked his Bishop clothes in both games.

On the one hand it looks really like there won't be light magic,but on the other hand it would mean,that we won't get any light magic users like micaiah as downloadcharacters,which would look kinda weird.

I think it is possible,that there is still light magic,but that it can only be used by light mages,so that there is an even distribution of light and dark mages.

Light mages could promote to whtie knights,who can still use light magic,or sages,who lose the ability to use light magic,just like dark mages lose the ability to use dark tomes,when promoting to dark knights.

The fact,that we didn't see any light magic in the shops,could simply mean,that we'll get dark mages first and light mages later in the game(there wouldn't be a point in selling light magic if you can't have someone who can use it)

On the one hand it looks really like there won't be light magic,but on the other hand it would mean,that we won't get any light magic users like micaiah as downloadcharacters,which would look kinda weird.

But I want Lucius!

I don't think we can assume that. They could just switch to being Sages.

I'm also hesitant to assume the presence of any more new classes. It seems to me that we've seen all the regulars except a couple of obvious classics, like Sniper and Warrior. But then, I thought that before seeing Dark Mage and Sorcerer, as well.

Edited by Othin

I don't think we can assume that. They could just switch to being Sages.

Truth. Or in Micaiah's case, depending on how it works, they could just give her a custom class based off of Medium.

Truth. Or in Micaiah's case, depending on how it works, they could just give her a custom class based off of Medium.

I think DLC-unique classes sound like a bit much, and I don't think there would be much she could do with any such class that she couldn't do as a Sage. I mean, if she gets any special Light magic like Thani as a personal spell, that could work just as well as a Sage.

If Emelina joins the party at some point, I think it's guaranteed that she'll use Light magic. For Naga's sake, she called the "Holy Queen" of Iris.

That's a big if, and you're vastly underestimating the flexibility of the word "holy".

If they threw Nosferatu among the dark magic tomes then I can only imagine that light magic is not going to be present at all. The setting categorized it as a white magic spell after all.

I don't think they would violate consistency without reason.

I find it unlikely that Aura is not going to be present, though. But that probably just means the spell is going to be a personal weapon or a regular spell rather then light magic.

Edited by BrightBow