Rate the Unit, Day 38: Miredy

If you merely look at Miledy's HM bases, you might think she's a mediocre pre-promote. But when you hear she's Tier 1 and has pretty awesome growths to go along with them, along with the fact that she flies and rescues, she becomes one of the best units in the game.

17 STR/15 SKL/13 SPD. 50% STR/50% SKL/45% SPD. I don't think I need to say much more than that. Her SPD isn't incredible but is quite far from bad. The Steel Lance she comes with does make her lose 4 AS, but it hits quite hard, and it's not outside of reason that somebody could bring an Iron Lance to trade her upon recruitment anyways. She also has a C in lances and so can immediately opt for a Killer Lance, in which case all enemies may as well give up then and there. She has excellent combat, but if somebody is in need of a rescue she fills that role greatly too. Her high MOV and trolling of all terrain only serves as more of a boon to her.

She has 8 base LCK and a 25% growth, but it's not like it's important anyways. Her 20% growth in DEF looks bad until you realize she barely needs a growth due to her base of 16. She has a base RES of 3 and a growth of 5%, but it's not like you're going to send a wyvern unit rushing towards mages.

Don't forget that she can promote immediately to make her bases even MORE godly with shiny promo gains. Granted this sucks some of her growth away, but the option is there and not necessarily a bad choice. Miledy wears a color that the battlefield will be bathed in when she's done with the enemy forces. There's literally almost nothing wrong with her. She has fantastic combat, great MOV and mastery of terrain, and can serve as a rescuebot on the side. Arguably the game's best unit; and probably would uncontestedly be if she came a bit earlier. I personally feel she is the only unit in the game worthy of an unbiased 10.

10/10

Right on the money. Only 11/10, due to bias for various reasons.

Axes are pretty shit in this game for most units not having them is hardly an issue

if you have axes and you're actually good at using them that's a bonus

Lances are the weapon of choice for the game's most dangerous enemies, and having WTA helps greatly with hit and makes for a modest might lead over lances. People who can use axes: Alan/Lance/Marcus/Zealot/Dieck/Bartre/Echidna/Percival and so on benefit greatly from them, especially when people like Dieck and Echidna would be forced to use something underwhelming like swords otherwise, and the might difference goes from modest to considerable. If Miledy had axes over lances there is no question that would be her weapon against lance users. E axes also give access to range, something that is not significant for Miledy but is for the aforementioned Dieck and Echidna. The Devil Axe is mostly novelty but someone with good enough hit can semi reliably use it to nuke a non-boss enemy.

It is a very small issue that Miledy is stuck to lance/sword, or that Rutger is sword locked, and that is reflected in my scores. But for other people axes are a major boon. Remember, WTA is +1 attack and +10 hit.

As I said, axes are a bonus if you can use them well, not something that's given and be deducted points from for not having. While Miledy would be able to use it well on paper, she's a flying tank who doesn't give a crap about things and kills perfectly fine with lances and WTN. Axes also have severe hit issues against any enemies that doesn't use lances (aka most of Sacae). What are you penalising her for, not breaking the game harder than she already does? Penalising a unit for not having a weapon type that isn't even that good in this game and she doesn't even need to rape everything left on the planet is ridiculous. Partial WTC is already good enough. Full WTC on wings is just ridiculous. I can see penalties on her for availability (even though I think what she brings to the team more than makes up for it) but that's it.

It's like penalising Seth in FE8 for not having Axes when he can rape the entire game with an inventory of javelins. And axes are actually good in FE8, too.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

If Miledy had axes over lances there is no question that would be her weapon against lance users.

Well, duh. She's hardly going to pull out her E Swords.

It is a very small issue that Miledy is stuck to lance/sword, or that Rutger is sword locked, and that is reflected in my scores. But for other people axes are a major boon. Remember, WTA is +1 attack and +10 hit.

I think it's a small issue that Percival doesn't have capped stats in every area. Obviously, having capped stats is a major boon. Remember, capped strength and skill is +25ATK and +56HIT.

Miledy, that chick who flies. (serves Guinevere i think...)

Pros:

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Umm...emot-damn.gif

Great bases.

Great growths.

Awesome looking.

Cons:

Speed base is ehh (barring HM bonuses).

Miledy is just pretty wrong all round. Which is nice because this game is filled with shit units. So she comes as a very welcome surprise. She can be a bit shaky with that speed at first but that doesnt last too long. Once she gets some levels in, holy good goddamn. Things die. All the things. Nice to have a potentially game breaking unit on your team that still has room to grow!

9/10. 10/10 bias because shes awesome!

Miledy has the same speed as Tate counting her much higher CON and vastly better stats in every other area. She has some of the best physical durability in the game with 38HP/16DEF base and +5/+2 promo bonuses, reinforced with decent growths in both stats.

and yunno

flies

10/10

Edited by Anouleth

Dat Rules

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted.

needs a speedwings 10/10

Not bitching, since Integ has that obligation, but if anyone else said it, he would likely not count it. And I really am not bothered by dondons posts ever.

This made me chuckle out loud.

Edited by Elieson

=

It's like penalising Seth in FE8 for not having Axes when he can rape the entire game with an inventory of javelins. And axes are actually good in FE8, too.

Miledy cannot rape the entire game with an inventory of javelins. More to the point, Miledy is not Seth for a variety of reasons, though Seth transplanted into FE6 wouldn't be FE8 Seth. Such is the triviality of FE8 enemies.

Also, FE6 axes are not bad.

I think it's a small issue that Percival doesn't have capped stats in every area. Obviously, having capped stats is a major boon. Remember, capped strength and skill is +25ATK and +56HIT.

Very cute, but I don't know what you tried to demonstrate with this. Percival will be one rounding more than Miledy in many situations helped by his superior access to weaponry. If you find this contentious I can dig into the game and prove it... eventually. I don't think I can do it tonight but I will do it.

You can disagree with my reasoning, but I set the 10 bar relative to the best one or two units, so if I give Lance and Percival a 10, and I've justified to myself that they're better than Miledy for whatever reason (which includes weapon selection) then it stands to reason I might rate her lower than them. My reasoning might be completely wrong, but there is nothing inherently fallacious with holding lack of axes against someone when Paladins and Wyverns use lances almost exclusively.

Edited by Duff Ostrich

Miledy cannot rape the entire game with an inventory of javelins.

And Percival cannot rape the entire game with an inventory of both Javelins and Hand Axes!

They're pretty bad. Hit rates tend to agree with me.

Very cute, but I don't know what you tried to demonstrate with this. Percival will be one rounding more than Miledy in many situations helped by his superior access to weaponry.

Yes - but that's not due to Hand Axes; that's due to having Wyrmslayer, Armorslayer, and Durandal.

You can disagree with my reasoning, but I set the 10 bar relative to the best one or two units, so if I give Lance and Percival a 10, and I've justified to myself that they're better than Miledy for whatever reason (which includes weapon selection) then it stands to reason I might rate her lower than them. My reasoning might be completely wrong, but there is nothing inherently fallacious with holding lack of axes against someone when Paladins and Wyverns use lances almost exclusively.

I don't think I had Percival use axes once in my revised 0% growths run. Percival's just not good with an axe. There are hardly any circumstances in the game where Percival will face lance users exclusively on enemy phase; a loss of 5 hit going to Hand Axes is a big deal when you need to 2HKO and your hit rates aren't even stellar in the first place. If I had to choose between hitting 60, 60, 70, 70 (2 WTN and 2 WTA with Hand Axe) or 65 x4 (4 WTN with Javelin) times, I'd pick the latter because there's a higher likelihood of a successful outcome.

In summary, axes are not useful on Percival.

By the way - Percival's bases are not even significantly more ridiculous. 10/1 Miledy is approximately tied in physical durability and in str. Miledy has 3 less spd after a Speedwings, but this only makes a difference against mercs and bosses. It's certainly true that she needs some help with her AS, but there's a very negligible opportunity cost in doing so; flying makes the resource input even more worth it.

Edited by dondon151

I think dondon's ratings are counted anyway. Ike said dondon has an exception to that rule due to the discussion he brings and having dondon cred.

And hell, in a far less efficient setting (because efficient isn't the only playstyle so I'll give casual some rep here), I've gotten Miledy to ~18/- in the timespan of 13,14(she even ferried Rutger some here over the cliff so he can unleash himself), and 14x before Percival even joins and promotes on turn 1 of 15. 18/1 Miledy kinda just...wins. Except sword rank. That's actually kinda important but it's not like she can't make do with Killer and Silver Lance on most shits anyway. Even Iron works due to how high her stats are.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

needs a speedwings 10/10

this post is actually a perfect gameplay discussion if one reads a little between the lines:

literally miredy's only flaw is that she needs a speedwings 10/10

Tallying.

=

Miledy cannot rape the entire game with an inventory of javelins. More to the point, Miledy is not Seth for a variety of reasons, though Seth transplanted into FE6 wouldn't be FE8 Seth. Such is the triviality of FE8 enemies.

They really are.

Very cute, but I don't know what you tried to demonstrate with this.

I don't believe units should be penalised for not being perfect. It's true that Miledy won't always get the +1/+10 from WTA. But her combat is still very good, and better than all axe users in the game except for Percival. Alan and Lance can keep their Axes, when Miledy has 5 more in each of STR/SKL/DEF and a double digit HP lead.

You know what's more useful than axes? Having stats as good as Miledy's.

Percival will be one rounding more than Miledy in many situations helped by his superior access to weaponry.

Miledy also flies. Which is arguably a much larger contribution than merely having access to Axes which are situationally useful.

EDIT: I also like Miledy's support with Treck.

Treck: Oh well, guess I hurt my neck for nothing.

Edited by Anouleth